How much is 3rd pick worth?

I seem to recall some sort of a point system as to what a pick was worth in terms of trading down and that it was pretty precise. If anybody has a link, I would appreciate it. Not looking to debate the merits of doing so, just looking to kill time on a crappy weather Saturday. Thanks

one million dollars!!!!!

These picks are VERY hard to trade. There has only been 1 top-5 pick traded in (I think) the last

6 years. I know about the possible rookie salary cap and how that *might* make trading up

into the top 5 a bit more attractive, but it doesn't look like there will be a CBA in place at the

time of the draft so that is just speculation.

On value alone that Eagles-Bills trade rumor was laughable. Philly's 1 & 2 are worth half the Bills' pick.

PTR

Wasn't Kolb part of that trade though? Value is in the eye of the beholder I guess when it comes to Kolb.

Wasn't Kolb part of that trade though? Value is in the eye of the beholder I guess when it comes to Kolb.

Right. So if the 1 & 2 picks are only half as valuable as your # 3, then you are saying Kolb alone is worth go the same as a 1 & 2. I don't see that.

PTR

That chart is laughable.

Think about it in a real life scenario. Is the player we draft at 3 really a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round pick better than the player we could take at 9? If N Suh was sitting there - maybe. But not this year. There isnt a player nearly that good.

This year, moving back a mere 6 spots isnt worth all those picks. for team like Buffalo, a 2nd and 4th would be great compensation.

If the charts are bunk, then why does every NFL team use them? I know they are not all strict adherents to the values on the charts, but they ALL look at those charts.... That says the research into them is fairly good. They are a tool, nothing more. Its no different than a trading card value magazine or a coin collectors value guide... they are guides, not "Rules" and often times trades do not "equal" each other on the value chart.... that is because of a perceived difference in the players (or choices) involved.

Let us not forget N.O. trading their entire draft for the #1 overall.... it didn't work out for them, they did get a stud player, just not for them.

As stated, those draft 'value' chart are as bunk as can be...picks 2-5 aren't all that attractive.

The NFL is a copycat league, and it isn't run by rocket scientists. Just like a lot of coaches use the same chart to determine whether to go for 2 point conversions, I think a lot of front offices use the draft pick trade value chart to get at least a rough sense of whether a proposed trade is fair. But who cares what I think - - what does the actual history of draft pick trades show? You may think the chart is hogwash, but the article at the link below makes a pretty compelling case that the chart gives a reasonably accurate estimate of what a team might be able to get in return for trading down (at least for trading down in the first round and getting only draft picks from the same year in return):

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/21/2004303/dispelling-myths-about-nfl-draft-trades

I suppose one weakness in the article's analysis is that there haven't been a great number of trade downs from as high as pick #3 so the data is a little sparse, but overall I was pretty surprised at how often actual trades were made at close to what the draft chart predicts as fair value.

I can also see how it would be pretty useful to have some sort of trade value chart to help you quickly analyze proposed trades when you are on the clock and almost out of time to make your pick when a trade offer comes in on your war room phone.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I suppose one weakness in the article's analysis is that there haven't been a great number of trade downs from as high as pick #3 so the data is a little sparse, but overall I was pretty surprised at how often actual trades were made at close to what the draft chart predicts as fair value.

This is the fallacy of the chart. It's obvious that the values don't hold up because those trade's don't occur. If anyone could get a 'better' deal than the chart provides, they would certainly take it..but in those very high round picks, it doesn't happen, why? The salaries do not match up with the value.

According to the chart, we can trade our 1st pick this year for all of the packers picks the next 2 years, assuming they make it to the playoffs next year. Git 'er dun Buddy.

He must be asleep at the wheel to not have made this happen yet. The Packers obviously would want this deal.

Going strictly by the chart, the best trade partner is the Patriots. They have #17, 28 and 33 and per the chart those picks are valued at 950 + 660 + 580 = 2,190. They also have the 28th pick in round 2 (300 points), and #s 10 and 28 in the 3rd (220 and 132, respectively).

While short on points, I'd be for trading the #3 pick to them for their 2 #1s, the 28th pick in round 2 and #10 in round three. They would have the 17th, 28th, 34th, 60th, 68th and 74th picks and then 2 more in round 4 (#100 and #122). They sure could address a lot of needs. 6 picks in the top 74, they could get 3 defensive players (LBs and DL), a TE, OT and QB, then pick the best players available in rounds 4-7 (6 more picks).

Then I woke up from my dream...

It's a pipe dream, I can't see the Pats going for it, though you'd think that a team like that with so many picks and such a great record would be interested in trading up to get that marquee guy (AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, one of the DL) that they may view as putting them back in the Super Bowl. The big downside is that the Bills would have to face that guy twice a year.

It sure would make the draft pretty fun...