Is Anyone Just Curious To See What Would Happen?

sven233

I know.....it's another Newton thread. But I want to come at this from a different angle. THis is not really about Newton as a player or a person at all. This is about the Bills organization and their thought process. So, forget about the player himself and answer this question:

Is anyone else just a little curious to see what would happen if Cam Newton was on the board at #3?

Let me preface this by stating that I am neither for or against the Buffalo Bills drafting Cam Newton. Needless to say, he is a very polorizing player in this draft much as Tebow was year. Now, last year, I wasn't a huge TeBow guy to say the least. After watching a lot of him, I wasn't convinced he would ever be a top Pro QB because of his mechanics. No matter how hard he worked to change his throwing motion, I thought he would eventually revert back to his bad mechanics that he used all his life. By the end of last season when he was playing, you could already see glimpses of that. Now, I am not saying he will never overcome that, but at the time last year, I just didn't want to take the chance on him.

This brings us to this year. Another draft, another player that seems to be splitting fans, media, and experts down the middle......Cam Newton. Now, this year, the questions are slightly different. Newtons mechanics (at least throwing the ball) are very sound. He does have issues with his footwork and he does come from another spread offense. So, there are some questions physically, but not nearly as many as most had about Tebow. However, there are still a ton of quesitions that I, and many others have about Newton. Is his head on straight? Are there character concerns? Can he actually read a defense? There are more, but obviously we already know what they are.

So, my question is.......Is anyone out there, whether for or against Newton, just curious to see what would happen if Newton is there on the board at 3? Obviously, I can't work the guy out myself, so I will never be able to accurately get the answers I want before the draft. However, the team will. At this point, I actually trust Nix and Gailey to make a good decision on Newton and know what he is all about. I guess I am just curious to know how much they really like Newton. I would love for him to be there at 3 just to find out the answer to that question. If he goes first overall, we will never know the answer to this question.

The fact is, if Newton is there at 3, we will definitely have an opportunity to learn A LOT about this staff and this front office whether they take him or not. At this point, I am just as interested as to if they would take Newton if given the chance as to find out who they will take in the end.

Again, I am not saying I am either for or against Newton. I just don't have enough info because the offense he ran will be so different than the one he would run here. Not sure he can handle it mentally or not. It would be interesting to find out if the Bills think he could do it though. I just think we could learn a lot about Nix and Gailey if Newton is on the board when we are up and whether they take him or not. This angle is just as interesting to me as finding out who we will end up taking.

It's interesting for sure. I am like you, neither for nor against drafting him. I feel that we need, sorry to use the term yet again, a franchise QB. I like Fitz, but he's not an elite QB. I don't know if newtons gonna be one, but he certainly possesses some serious raw talent. I think drafting him only really shows us that nix has faith in chans coaching of the qb and newton being coachable. I hope we are in position to draft him, solely because our FO might have him pegged as our guy, and I trust their opinions a lot more than I do mine. We'll see how it plays out.

I think it's a no brainer. If Newton is on the board they will sprint to the podium like they did last year. Newton will be the pick.

Nix even said that he is comfortable with Newton as a franchise QB. Nix has met him several times and like him. They brought him into town to meet with Gailey face to face to make sure he is as comfortable with Newton as Nix is. As long as Chan agrees with Buddy, then Newton is the pick.

If Newton goes to Carolina, then that is when things get crazy

I am more curious to see if Bowers is still there. Has he been cleared medically by the team drs? What if he and Darius are there?

If Darius is there, then absolutely no to Newton. While Newto may well be a tremendous athlete, there simply isn't a body of work to draw from that shows him to be an outstanding QB. At best, to me anyway, he will take 2-3 years minimum to develop his potential.

As Parcell's used to say, "he's got potential, but needs a lot of work".

If Newton is there when we draft at #3, I think they will pick him and never look back. Not saying that this is who I am hoping for, but I definitely think they will do that if they can. I personally would be happy with him, Dareus, Fairly or Peterson. They are the "elite" talent of the draft. Next would be Miller, Gabbert or Bowers.

POW!!!

I think the Bills will take AJ Green (assuming he lasts that long, of course). They're bringing in seemingly everyone BUT him, and I haven't heard of them bringing him in for a look.

s m o k e s c r e e n ?

Well, sorry, but this would be an absolutely stupid move by the FO. WR is not a need, but then RB was not last year. I am not one to throw stuff at my TV, but...

To the OP, of course, there is intense curiosity to see what the FO will do if Newton is there. I am not strongly for/against Newton. Most posters do not mention that Fitz is signed for 2011. After that, ... <crickets>

So, we do need a QB for 2012 and beyond, not necessarily the #3 pick, but somebody.

Here's my take on what they are looking for from a franchise QB in this draft and as it relates to Fitz. Fitz is a good QB that can win only if he has a great surrounding cast. A franchise QB is one that can elevate his play at any point in a game and win by his play. Peyton and Mike Vick are certainly capable of turning it on and winning a game by themselves. If Buddy & Chan think Cam can do that or Blaine can do that they will take them ignoring our enormous needs on defense. If the don't we will have Dareus or Fairley. I doubt that they even know that answer yet. If they do think that much of Cam and he turns into that franchise QB, I cannot wait to feel the electricity Cam will bring to The Ralph. It will be stunning. If they don't believe he is that QB, I hope we build a rock solid defense and win from that approach.

Well, sorry, but this would be an absolutely stupid move by the FO. WR is not a need, but then RB was not last year. I am not one to throw stuff at my TV, but...

To the OP, of course, there is intense curiosity to see what the FO will do if Newton is there. I am not strongly for/against Newton. Most posters do not mention that Fitz is signed for 2011. After that, ... <crickets>

So, we do need a QB for 2012 and beyond, not necessarily the #3 pick, but somebody.

Don't make the mistake of believing what we see and what the organization sees will dovetail. It doesn't appear

WR is a need. But on the inside, with access to people and info we would never know, they might feel they need

a WR.

I want the Bills to draft elite talent when given the opportunity and not draft "safe" players if that even really exists

since no draftee is a guarantee to pan out. Green is elite. He's my last choice at 3, but if they took him I could

understand why and wouldn't throw a fit.

If Newton is there at 3, to me, Nix has to pull the trigger if him and Gailey are comfortable with him. But

I think Newton is going to Carolina. My next choices:

1. Miller

2. Peterson

3. Dareus/Fairley

If Bowers looks like himself at his pro day on Friday and his knee checks out, He would be in

Dareus, Fairley category.

Edited by purple haze

I strongly suspect that Ponder is their guy, and much to my dismay....I think he will be our pick in the second round. Not that I am against drafting Ponder by any means...I just think that #34 is too early for him.

Just my opinion.

To respond to the OP...I too am intrigued by Newton. The kid is a great athlete, and he throw's a great ball. His accuracy is a bit erratic, but his mechanics are pretty smooth. I think Newton's success in the NFL is largely contingent upon the situation that he ends up in. Ideally, he would most benefit from learning behind an experienced QB for a season (or a large portion of a season). Being drafted by Buffalo, IMO, would be a good situation for him. One of the concerns that I have about Newton in Buffalo, however, is that he will be a self-proclaimed "icon" playing in a small market city. Ala LeBron-Bron James...he plays out his rookie contract and then signs a deal with the Jets or the Bears.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I know.....it's another Newton thread. But I want to come at this from a different angle. THis is not really about Newton as a player or a person at all. This is about the Bills organization and their thought process. So, forget about the player himself and answer this question:

Is anyone else just a little curious to see what would happen if Cam Newton was on the board at #3?

Let me preface this by stating that I am neither for or against the Buffalo Bills drafting Cam Newton. Needless to say, he is a very polorizing player in this draft much as Tebow was year. Now, last year, I wasn't a huge TeBow guy to say the least. After watching a lot of him, I wasn't convinced he would ever be a top Pro QB because of his mechanics. No matter how hard he worked to change his throwing motion, I thought he would eventually revert back to his bad mechanics that he used all his life. By the end of last season when he was playing, you could already see glimpses of that. Now, I am not saying he will never overcome that, but at the time last year, I just didn't want to take the chance on him.

This brings us to this year. Another draft, another player that seems to be splitting fans, media, and experts down the middle......Cam Newton. Now, this year, the questions are slightly different. Newtons mechanics (at least throwing the ball) are very sound. He does have issues with his footwork and he does come from another spread offense. So, there are some questions physically, but not nearly as many as most had about Tebow. However, there are still a ton of quesitions that I, and many others have about Newton. Is his head on straight? Are there character concerns? Can he actually read a defense? There are more, but obviously we already know what they are.

So, my question is.......Is anyone out there, whether for or against Newton, just curious to see what would happen if Newton is there on the board at 3? Obviously, I can't work the guy out myself, so I will never be able to accurately get the answers I want before the draft. However, the team will. At this point, I actually trust Nix and Gailey to make a good decision on Newton and know what he is all about. I guess I am just curious to know how much they really like Newton. I would love for him to be there at 3 just to find out the answer to that question. If he goes first overall, we will never know the answer to this question.

The fact is, if Newton is there at 3, we will definitely have an opportunity to learn A LOT about this staff and this front office whether they take him or not. At this point, I am just as interested as to if they would take Newton if given the chance as to find out who they will take in the end.

Again, I am not saying I am either for or against Newton. I just don't have enough info because the offense he ran will be so different than the one he would run here. Not sure he can handle it mentally or not. It would be interesting to find out if the Bills think he could do it though. I just think we could learn a lot about Nix and Gailey if Newton is on the board when we are up and whether they take him or not. This angle is just as interesting to me as finding out who we will end up taking.

No, I'm praying he is gone.

I strongly suspect that Ponder is their guy, and much to my dismay....I think he will be our pick in the second round. Not that I am against drafting Ponder by any means...I just think that #34 is too early for him.

Just my opinion.

To respond to the OP...I too am intrigued by Newton. The kid is a great athlete, and he throw's a great ball. His accuracy is a bit erratic, but his mechanics are pretty smooth. I think Newton's success in the NFL is largely contingent upon the situation that he ends up in. Ideally, he would most benefit from learning behind an experienced QB for a season (or a large portion of a season). Being drafted by Buffalo, IMO, would be a good situation for him. One of the concerns that I have about Newton in Buffalo, however, is that he will be a self-proclaimed "icon" playing in a small market city. Ala LeBron-Bron James...he plays out his rookie contract and then signs a deal with the Jets or the Bears.

More like our arch-rival Miami, then he could also buddy-buddy with LeBron.

I never said thats what I want to happen. I didnt want Spiller (amongst others) either. I hope we take Cam but I think we'll take AJ if hes there.

I think the Bills will take AJ Green (assuming he lasts that long, of course). They're bringing in seemingly everyone BUT him, and I haven't heard of them bringing him in for a look.

s m o k e s c r e e n ?

You know they did bring in Spiller last year, right?