Bills get compensatory 7th

Dexter

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee thanks. Maybe I'm just a homer, but Buffalo always seems to get shafted on these compensatory picks.

The NFL is remarkably consistent with the process, fans just don't get it.

A 7 means we netted equal guys in and out. Unless you lost more bodies, you can not get a 3-6.

Pats let vets walk and draft replacements- that means more and high picks.

The NFL is remarkably consistent with the process, fans just don't get it.

A 7 means we netted equal guys in and out. Unless you lost more bodies, you can not get a 3-6.

Pats let vets walk and draft replacements- that means more and high picks.

Yet another benefit to having a clue on draft day. Maybe someday the Bills will learn.

When is the NFL going to start compensating the Bills for just horrible draft picks?

Every 1st rounder that doesn't start, or gets cut, or whatever should be worst another swing at it, no?

:thumbsup:

All this does is allow them to draft one more guy they would have signed as an unrestricted FA anyways. Alot of those guys are being contacted when the 6th and 7th rounds are going on and they have deals in place within hours of the draft.

In all honesty I would use this extra pick to justify taking a punter with a 6ht or 7th round pick. Moorman was average at best last year and had some real shakey kicks. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring someone in who can boom it to give him a run for his spot.

More likely though it will be used on a FB.

All this does is allow them to draft one more guy they would have signed as an unrestricted FA anyways. Alot of those guys are being contacted when the 6th and 7th rounds are going on and they have deals in place within hours of the draft.

In all honesty I would use this extra pick to justify taking a punter with a 6ht or 7th round pick. Moorman was average at best last year and had some real shakey kicks. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring someone in who can boom it to give him a run for his spot.

Chas Henry, Punter Florida

6'3" 220...big leg, can kick it out of the stadium.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Thanx for the tip. I posted a long time ago asking what would be the surprise training camp cut as there always is one. My choice was Moorman. Maybin wouldn't be a surprise. Evans was the consensus surprise cut amongst the posters.

Gee thanks. Maybe I'm just a homer, but Buffalo always seems to get shafted on these compensatory picks.

We got a third rounder back in the day when these compensatory picks were first day choices of in essence for Friggin Lonnie Johnson. The Bills are still way ahead in terms of the scales of justice on this one.

Yeah, since it's basically a way to ensure you get a chance at a player who might see a better opportunity elsewhere as an UDFA, I was thinking along these lines as well. I've heard good things about the kid from Nebraska, Alex Henery, who can do double duty as a kicker AND punter. He averaged 43.9 yards last season, and had 26 dropped inside the 20, and made 89.5% of FGs in his career. Even if he concentrates on just one --- punting for us, as Moorman has really hit a wall and Lindell has done a very good job including from 50+ the past few seasons --- it's always nice to have a backup if Lindell should get injured. There is the possibility that eventually, he may be able to do both and save a roster spot. That might be a little risky, but remember how Billicheat had that punter who was the 3rd QB? Would allow you keep an extra LB or OL.

This kid is projecting to the 4th according to this site, but it's always a crapshoot when kickers or punters will be chosen. The kid from Ohio State a few years back was supposed to be the Second Coming of Nick Lowery, was taken in the 2nd by the Jests and did a lot of nothing. That may have put off a lot of teams from selecting a kicker until late b/c the transition to the NFL, to excuse the wordplay, is hit or miss.

Even if it is, say, the 5th round I'd be interested in getting Henery just for those coffin corners and pinbacks. As much as he did for this team for 10-11 years, Moorman just didn't look like the same guy --- wasn't hitting on his placements, had several gimmes that went in for touchbacks and even the inside-the-20s he got were mostly just inside the 20. My overall recollection last season was him unbuttoning his chinstrap and angrily flinging it to the other side. The one area I'm loathe to let go of him from is holding for Lindell's kicks, but that's just not enough to justify his spot. Chan should bring in a challenger to camp, as is usual, and if we're doing that it may as well be someone who has a chance to unseat, rather than it being a courtesy to some local kid from UBuff or Syracuse.

I thought I read yesterday that the Dolphins were the only team awarded a compensatory pick.

What about one for Marshawn? His run against the Saints alone should earn us at least a 3rd rounder. Or, is that compensatory pick due next year?