Coahces and FO stance on Fitz

That's not half as funny as you (and many here like you) wanting the Bills to pick Blaine Gabbert. He of the 16 TDs in the spread offense against college competition. He of the 69th QB rating ranking. He of the 3.25 YPA on 3rd and 8-10. He of the 30% completion rate on throws over 15 yards. Clearly you guys didn't have your fill of Trent Edwards...LOL

Whatever... :nana:

Saying Fitz is a Championship caliber QB is a joke and you know it...He's no where near a Championship caliber QB...The gap between Fitz and guys like Manning, Brees, Rodgers...even Big Ben might as well be the Grand Canyon...Championship Caliber QB with a career 12-23 record... :doh: How about waiting till the guy has one, ONE winning season before making a stupid statement like that?...It's ridiculous...

And comparing Gabbert to Trent and saying "us guys" is not going to win you any backing either...No Bills Fan want another Trent Edwards...You can do better than that...

We'll see how Gabbert's career compares to Fitz's 5 years from now...You keep spewing out those numbers you're always spewing around here...I'm going to go with Mike Mayock and just about every other expert who thinks Gabbert should be the #1 Pick in this Draft because his potential is off the charts...You gamble on greatness with a QB...Sometimes you win and a lot of times you lose...When you win your Franchise is in the Playoffs for the majority of a decade plus...It's worth the risk...ESPECIALLY for the Buffalo Bills... B-)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever... :nana:

Saying Fitz is a Championship caliber QB is a joke and you know it...He's no where near a Championship caliber QB...The gap between Fitz and guys like Manning, Brees, Rodgers...even Big Ben might as well be the Grand Canyon...Championship Caliber QB with a career 12-23 record... :doh: How about waiting till the guy has one, ONE winning season before making a stupid statement like that?...It's ridiculous...

And comparing Gabbert to Trent and saying "us guys" is not going to win you any backing either...No Bills Fan want another Trent Edwards...You can do better than that...

We'll see how Gabbert's career compares to Fitz's 5 years from now...You keep spewing out those numbers you're always spewing around here...I'm going to go with Mike Mayock and just about every other expert who thinks Gabbert should be the #1 Pick in this Draft because his potential is off the charts...You gamble on greatness with a QB...Sometimes you win and a lot of times you lose...When you win your Franchise is in the Playoffs for the majority of a decade plus...It's worth the risk...ESPECIALLY for the Buffalo Bills... B-)

You are 100% accurate, in that anyone who even suggests that Fitz is a Championship level QB is on some serious drugs or just not all there upstairs. He is a nice guy, exciting at times, frustrating at times, but nothing more than a stop gap/bridge to a Franchise quarterback that we hopefully will eventually get. In a perfect scenario for the Bills, they draft a QB this year and he plays behind Fitz for a season, and maybe the season after that Fitz is his backup, if he doesn't leave for somewhere to get a shot at playing.

I have yet to find a false quote from Nixley in over a year that they've been with the Bills. Unlike, say, Bellychickie, who is a congenital misleader, Gailey and Nix have consistently been honest. So I'm puzzled by a certain element around here that thinks they're lying now...about Fitz, about defensive needs, etc. So let me paraphrase what both Nix and Gailey have repeatedly said about the QB situation:

QB trumps all other positions on the team. Fitz is a really good QB and the Bills can win a championship with him. At this time, QB is NOT the most important need. BUT, when you're drafting at #3 (a position they hope they're never in again), you have to make this pick count. AND if there is a chance to get a ten or twelve year franchise-level QB, then you must take him. THEREFORE, we are doing our due diligence by deeply studying the QBs available this year.

I believe that sums up the Nixley statements. And based on their past honesty, I have no reason to start thinking they're now lying to the fans. There is, however, a possibility that their apparent interest in a QB is meant to panic a team further down that really does need a QB now (Cincy, Arizona, Minnesota) to trade up with them in the event that the player they want at #3 is gone when they pick.

Actually, this is a cut and paste quote from them:

"Invariably, if there's going to be a franchise guy there and one we deem as a guy that can go eight or 10 years, be the face of the organization and take us to the playoffs and win every year, you can't pass him up."

Fitz is JUST 28 years old. If he was good enough to "be the face of the organization and take us to the playoffs and win every year" then he could EASILY do so for 8 years and maybe 10 in todays NFL since he is only 28. They have never once said that Fitz is that kind of QB for them, which is why they would draft one if one is available.

I think they feel good enough with Fitz that they wont force the issue at QB and make a change to just make a change, but at the same time, they clearly dont see Fitz as a guy to build this team around as you dont start looking for the heir apparent because your QB is 28.

They have also repeatedly said that QB is not their "biggest" issue, but they have never once said its not an issue.

Ralph gave the order a long time ago. Didn't he even have Nix fly around and personally scout QBs?

I think that you and I disagree about how much input Ralph has.

Why would Ralph have any input???? It's only his money and his team.

I never at any point in any thread have ever said Fitz was "last in every category" let alone last in a single category.

You are correct you said this:

Week to Week his TD total is no where near an accurate barometer on how he did as in the vast majority of his games he put up just 1 TD or less...but of course, that is literally the only response anyone ever gives while ignoring his terrible win loss record, being 9th in the league in INTS (and he had a lot of "gift" ints dropped too) in only 13 games, and being in the bottom end of the NFL in just about every other important stat for a QB.

On a technicality you are correct but in spirit you almost said as much.

Thats where the frustration comes in those posts when someone changes what I said to make it look wrong so they can attack that statement rather than discuss the points presented to them. For instance, what I have said is that he is in the bottom part of the league in many of key categories QB's are judged on. I have never even said he was last in a single category, let alone every one, because its not true. Some of the categories he is closer to the middle of the pack but still on the wrong side of it, and some others he is in the bottom third of the league or near the bottom.

You can't have it both ways. If you present negative stats I will present positive ones. Unlike you I won't accuse the other of pointing out stats that supposedly don't have an impact like....oh....I don't know....TDs/game?!?!?!

Neither of us should forget that this seemingly simple game is a sum of all of it's parts. If you play with a crap defense, a shotty offensive line and some of your best WRs were second team offense guys I'll give the guy a break.

Queue the Fitz's win loss record as a starter. Queue the teams win and lose games not individual players....and round and round we go.

P.S. Oh and I forgot..."LMAO"

Edited by PDaDdy

You are correct you said this:

On a technicality you are correct but in spirit you almost said as much.

So as you accuse others of it appears you are cherry picking stats that Fitz was not good at yet take the high road when someone like myself points out he was 8th in the league in TDs per game. You can't have it both ways. If you present negative stats I will present positive ones. Unlike you I won't accuse the other of pointing out positive stats that supposedly don't have an impact like....oh....I don't know....TDs?!?!?!

Queue the Fitz's win loss record as a starter. Queue the teams win and lose games not individual players....and round and round we go.

First off, bottom end is not the same thing as dead last. Secondly, look at the actual stats and you will see my statement was true.

Again, twist it all you want...I was talking about very specific categories, the categories people look at the most when evaluating the play of a QB, and what I said was 100% correct and not fabricated...he is the bottom part of the league in almost all of them. But rather than discuss that, posters like you try discredit it by manipulating it sound like I said something else.

- Fitz ranked 22nd in QB rating.

- Fitz ranked 22nd in the league in passing yards.

- Fitz ranked 27th in completion percentage.

- Fitz ranked 21st in yards per attempt.

- Fitz ranked 16th in passing yards per game.

- Fitz ranked 9th in interceptions (despite only 13 games and had 5 additional lost fumbles)

Not only was Fitz lowly ranked in all these categories, but he also was in the top 10 in pass attemtps per game meaning he had more attempts each week than 2/3rds of the league yet was 21st per attempt and 16th in yards per game.

So show me how the statement, that outside of his TD total, "he is near the bottom end in just about every other important category" is not a 100% accurate statement? If you are in the bottom third, then that is near the bottom and is not very good. If anyone knows anything about football, they know the above categories are the ones that are more critically analyzed than any others for QB's along with 3rd down efficiency, TD's and record.

Nix just said at the dinner that 90% of what you hear about the draft is lies and its ok to lie during draft time. So now what do you think?

Did you not already know this?

Edited by Alphadawg7

First off, bottom end is not the same thing as dead last. Secondly, look at the actual stats and you will see my statement was true.

Never said otherwise.

Again, twist it all you want...I was talking about very specific categories, the categories people look at the most when evaluating the play of a QB, and what I said was 100% correct and not fabricated...he is the bottom part of the league in almost all of them. But rather than discuss that, posters like you try discredit it by manipulating it sound like I said something else.

- Fitz ranked 9th in interceptions (despite only 13 games and had 5 additional lost fumbles)

Not only was Fitz lowly ranked in all these categories, but he also was in the top 10 in pass attemtps, meaning even though he played "13 games" he still had more pass attempts than 2/3's of the other QB's.

So show me how the statement, that outside of his TD total, "he is near the bottom end in just about every other important category" is not a 100% accurate statement? If you are in the bottom third, then that is near the bottom and is not very good. If anyone knows anything about football, they know the above categories are the ones that are more critically analyzed than any others for QB's along with 3rd down efficiency, TD's and record.

I merely pointed out a positive statistic of my own. I have not discredited your stats because they are the same ones I looked up. To assert I am doing otherwise is to be guilty of what you accuse others of. You on the other hand attempt to discredit my stat of TDs per game.

As I already mentioned you also ignore his supporting cast and myopically look at the QB position in a vacuum. If we do choose to look at the QB position in a vacuum as it appears you choose to do I would say just about the ONLY stat that matters is how many TDs the QB puts on the board. You can recite all the crap you want. Fitz was 8th in the league in TDs per game. Again, this is what I call your QB in a vacuum conversation.

(If you didn't intend to look at the QB position in a vacuum see below)

IF you want to look at all of the other particulars you open the door for everything team. For instance, ever ask yourself why Fitz had so many pass attempts? Perhaps because we statistically had one of the worst defenses in the league. To use your tactic we had a defense near the bottom in every "relevant" category. Certainly this makes for a less than ideal situation to play QB in ;)

This also leads me to my signature once again if you can find some time between your "LMAO" moments is we need to fix the defense. We aren't going anywhere if we can't stop the run, get off the field on 3rd and long and for god sakes put some pressure on the opposing QB. No amount of quaterbacking can fix those glaring problems. Until we can do those things we might as well have a JUGGS machine randomly firing balls down field.

P.S. Mmmmmmm JUGGS

Edited by PDaDdy

Not only was Fitz lowly ranked in all these categories, but he also was in the top 10 in pass attemtps, meaning even though he played "13 games" he still had more pass attempts than 2/3's of the other QB's.

10th in TD%

10th in Sack%

15th in TDs (13 games)

16th Yards per game

17th Yards per catch

21st in Completions (13 games)

22nd in Yards (13 games)

In one year Fitzpatrick went from being an ok backup to being right in the middle of starting NFL quarterbacks in this league. This was AFTER he came in off the bench two games into the season no less. In one year he improved his QB rating by 12 points. But just keep on trying to pretend he's a bottom of the league QB with no chance of further improvements given a full training camp, a running game and a good defense like the top guys have had.

In one year Fitzpatrick went from being an ok backup to being right in the middle of starting NFL quarterbacks in this league. This was AFTER he came in off the bench two games into the season no less. In one year he improved his QB rating by 12 points. But just keep on trying to pretend he's a bottom of the league QB with no chance of further improvements given a full training camp, a running game and a good defense like the top guys have had.

OMG YOU DON'T GET IT!!! Fitz is NOT Peyton Manning!!! Keep swinging for the fences and draft a QB whoever it is. Nobody has ever won a superbowl without a GOD for a QB.

Edited by PDaDdy

10th in TD%

10th in Sack%

15th in TDs (13 games)

16th Yards per game

17th Yards per catch

21st in Completions (13 games)

22nd in Yards (13 games)

So let me ask you this...do you honestly beleive for a second that the above categories, almost all of which are affected mostly by the number of attempts rather than what he does per attempt, are more important to coaches, scouts, defensive coordinators, or anyone else breaking down how effective a QB was? Because if you dont understand why the above categories are not nearly as important when evaluating the ones I already mentioned, then this conversation is pointless. And this isnt a big secret, everyone knows what categories matter the most, you just dont want to use them because they prove that Fitz's season is not a dreamy as you try so hard to make it.

Do you even realize that I could literally lead the league in five or those 7 categories with enough pass attempts? Sadly, he isnt even ranked very high in those categories despite being 10th in the league att/game. What matters more, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, is what a QB does on average with each attempt. They dont care about yards per completion...they care about yards per attempt. If he connects on 1 pass for 20 yards out of 10 attempts...his yards per completion is 20 yards...who cares...he still is only producing an average 2 yards per attempt at passing the football in this example.

The best part is, that even if you did focus on just these categories, he is still just mediocre at best. So, he is sub par to terrible in the KEY stats that are more accurate measures of his overall effectiveness and consistency, and mediocre even when you cherry pick these less relevant categories. Gee, wonder why I (as well as many other Bills fans) think we need to upgrade the position...

Again, we will just have to agree to disagree on the quality of his season and whether or not QB is still a need.

OMG YOU DON'T GET IT!!! Fitz is NOT Peyton Manning!!! Keep swinging for the fences and draft a QB whoever it is. Nobody has ever won a superbowl without a GOD for a QB.

Who is asking for Peyton Manning? I would be happy if we just had a guy who could fall in the top 12 in the important areas like accuracy, turnovers, and YPA. Why is it you always over dramatize what people say? You say things like this as if Fitz is somehow a top 10 QB and we are not satisfied unless we have a top 3.

But Fitz isnt top 10...he isnt even top 20. He is in the bottom tier this year as the 22nd rated QB...so get a grip, no one expects a top 3 QB, but asking for a guy who can play CONSISTENT enough to be a top 10 or 12 guy isnt being unreasonable. Especialy on a team thats been trying to do so for more than a decade.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Gabbert received little attention as a pro prospect this year because most people thought he was going to stay in school for another year. That doesn't mean that the scouts weren't aware of his abilities. That was clearly exhibited when he declared he was almost instantly considered as one of the top qb prospects in this year's draft.

Newton received a lot of attention as a prospect because it was common knowledge that he was coming out this year. The top qb prospect was Luck. During the season most people thought that he was coming out because he was the prospective first pick in this year's draft. That is why he got so much attention.

Correction, Gabbert received little attention as a pro prospect this year because he sucks; no easier way to say it really. I'm sorry. Gabbert is by far the most overhyped player in this year's draft. He has done absolutely nothing in college, and to make matters worse, he's coming off a year that was statistically much worse than his prior season (which was good, but not an exceptional season either).

Edited by bobobonators

So let me ask you this...do you honestly beleive for a second that the above categories, almost all of which are affected mostly by the number of attempts rather than what he does per attempt, are more important to coaches, scouts, defensive coordinators, or anyone else breaking down how effective a QB was? Because if you dont understand why the above categories are not nearly as important when evaluating the ones I already mentioned, then this conversation is pointless. And this isnt a big secret, everyone knows what categories matter the most, you just dont want to use them because they prove that Fitz's season is not a dreamy as you try so hard to make it.

Do you even realize that I could literally lead the league in five or those 7 categories with enough pass attempts? Sadly, he isnt even ranked very high in those categories despite being 10th in the league att/game. What matters more, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, is what a QB does on average with each attempt. They dont care about yards per completion...they care about yards per attempt. If he connects on 1 pass for 20 yards out of 10 attempts...his yards per completion is 20 yards...who cares...he still is only producing an average 2 yards per attempt at passing the football in this example.

The best part is, that even if you did focus on just these categories, he is still just mediocre at best. So, he is sub par to terrible in the KEY stats that are more accurate measures of his overall effectiveness and consistency, and mediocre even when you cherry pick these less relevant categories. Gee, wonder why I (as well as many other Bills fans) think we need to upgrade the position...

Again, we will just have to agree to disagree on the quality of his season and whether or not QB is still a need.

Who is asking for Peyton Manning? I would be happy if we just had a guy who could fall in the top 12 in the important areas like accuracy, turnovers, and YPA. Why is it you always over dramatize what people say? You say things like this as if Fitz is somehow a top 10 QB and we are not satisfied unless we have a top 3.

But Fitz isnt top 10...he isnt even top 20. He is in the bottom tier this year as the 22nd rated QB...so get a grip, no one expects a top 3 QB, but asking for a guy who can play CONSISTENT enough to be a top 10 or 12 guy isnt being unreasonable. Especialy on a team thats been trying to do so for more than a decade.

dude, you've been railing on Fitz since day one. Just give it up already. You demand consistency from a player that took over in week 3 and gave his 120% and actually put up pretty decent numbers considering the dismal talent on offense around him. Why don't you create 1,679 posts and demand consistency of the other players on the team? Nobody is claiming that Fitz is the answer at QB, but he's certainly not the main problem on this team. understand and embrace that distinction and please just get over it already. Do you not like his beard? Did you get rejected from harvard? do you not like irish people? all of the above? what the heck is your constant gripe about Fitz? god man you complain about fitz as if we wasted a top 5 pick on the guy and he's not living up to your standards...all year with the same garbage from you.

"Do you even realize that I could literally lead the league in five or those 7 categories with enough pass attempts?"

With that silly statement, you have proven yourself to be someone who's not be taken seriously. I'll refrain from commenting any further.

The Team has so many holes... Their gonna be drafting in the top 10 for atleast 1-2 more seasons if they don't bring in some high-impact free agents in here. Fitz is solid enough until we can try and grab Luck next season...

Dude give it up. Seriously. You are embarrassing yourself. You can't summarily dismiss peoples stats that they provide. You also consistently attempt to look at Fitz statistical performance in a vacuum when you point out negative stats but then look at Fitz as part of a team that had to throw a lot when others present positive stats. He plays one very important position on a BAD team. ALL of his stats positive or negative are a function of his individual performance as a member of a bad TEAM. You can't separate the two.

Fitz did a great job at QB coming off the bench in week 3 with the crap we had to work with in all 3 phases of the game.

It's all a smokescreen. The more they talk-up taking Newton or Gabbert at #3 because they think they're "franchise QB's," the greater the chance that both teams in front of them (and both of them need a QB) take them and leave them with who they really want. But without knowing their exact thinking, we'll have to wait until the draft.

True, teams rely mostly on themselves. But they absolutely do pay attention to what others are doing. This in inarguable. It's why you see a run on certain positions or someone taking a player higher than they reasonably should have (ahem).

Now the Bills can't make the Panthers or Broncos like Newton or Gabbert, but if there's interest, and there seems to be on their part, they can make them think twice about whether it's a good idea to pass on them. And it's not like they're so great at identifying QB's themselves. :rolleyes:

Come on! Carolina won't pick a QB unless they think we might? Every year this nonsense gets repeated. They will pick whoever they want--they are picking before us. If they don't want Newton, they won't give a crap who picks him or wants him. It's not like they have 2 top 10 picks each.

I have yet to find a false quote from Nixley in over a year that they've been with the Bills.

"Our intention is for Marshawn Lynch to be here," Nix said in April. "He is under contract and we think he is a good back. All this trade talk is not coming from us. He is ours and we intend for him to be here."

It doesnt get any tougher than it has been on Trent, said Nix. Its upward from here. Thats what I think.

3 weeks later, Nix released Edwards.

When we drafted Philip Rivers, we drafted him to be the quarterback that year, said Nix.

The Chargers picked Manning, they ended up with Rivers.

Edited by Mr. WEO