Gaileys been calling out players that they have to step it up

miketan

I think he's calling out players that can either handle it and show they can reach the next level (possibly Evans) and ones that it's a last hope that he can light a fire under them (Maybin). However, he needs to be careful he doesn't alienate some of his players. I think there is a fine line between calling out the ones he think won't make the cut and ones he can bring back.

To answer your question, the only guys that are in this team that are safe from being called out are:

Johnson

Fitz

Jackson

Nelson

Jones

Wood

Levitre

Moats

Williams

possible consideration for:

Bell

Wilson

everyone else gets a talking to IMO

How about he calls himself out next.

If you are a part of a team and you are looking for where to place responsibility for a lousy season, the first place you look is in the mirror. "Calling out" players in public is a cop out.

George Edwards

I think that message was sent with the hiring of Wannstedt. But you are right, Edwards did nothing to make his players better. His defenders will say the talent just wasn't there, but plenty of coaches find a way to extract more out of a unit than the sum of it's parts. Those are good coaches. Edwards is just a position coach who is in over his head.

If you are a part of a team and you are looking for where to place responsibility for a lousy season, the first place you look is in the mirror. "Calling out" players in public is a cop out.

Disagree. Chan's fingered himself everytime he's called out a player. I like that he calls it like he sees it. He always puts the ultimate responsibility on his own shoulders. What he's saying is step up or I'll have to by cutting your *ss. After cutting Trent and some others, players ought to know he's a no sh*t guy.

Disagree. Chan's fingered himself everytime he's called out a player. I like that he calls it like he sees it. He always puts the ultimate responsibility on his own shoulders. What he's saying is step up or I'll have to by cutting your *ss. After cutting Trent and some others, players ought to know he's a no sh*t guy.

Saying it in public is the problem. It can only really be an effort to look tough to the public or to hurt the players reputation, which is below the belt IMO. It's fine if he tells the players what he expects and then cuts them if they don't provide it, but why take it to the media? It's his job to produce wins. If the Bills are winning, then I don't care what he is telling them. If they are losing, then I don't are what he is telling them. It's all really just tabloid fodder. Here's an article that sums up how I think a head coach (or any leader) should behave in assigning blame or credit to his players. It's the philosophy I try and live by with my company.

http://www.weldingandgasestoday.org/index.php/2010/08/the-wisdom-of-bear-bryant/

I think he's calling out players that can either handle it and show they can reach the next level (possibly Evans) and ones that it's a last hope that he can light a fire under them (Maybin). However, he needs to be careful he doesn't alienate some of his players. I think there is a fine line between calling out the ones he think won't make the cut and ones he can bring back.

To answer your question, the only guys that are in this team that are safe from being called out are:

Johnson

Fitz

Jackson

Nelson

Jones

Wood

Levitre

Moats

Williams

possible consideration for:

Bell

Wilson

everyone else gets a talking to IMO

David Nelson is the "Nelson" you are speaking of right? Not Shawn Nelson? Shawn needs a talking to for sure...

Who's next.?Mckelvin,Byrd,Whitner,Kelsay?Let me put it to you this way-who in your opinion should be next?go bills.

untill we can generate a pass rush or some sort of penestration in the backfield on a consistant basis I doubt you will see the defensive backs get called out. Whitner is iffy as far as having to step it up he play as hard as he can and he does do everything he can to help the team and get better he just hasnt lived up to the #8 pick nor was he ever worthy of it in the first place...not all his fault. This staff resigned Kelsay so the obviously like him...he is very out of place at LB and is an average 4-3 DE, when his hand was on the ground he wasnt that bad this past year hes just not that good

I'm sure Dick Jauron would agree. I'm sure Bill Parcells would disagree.

Saying it in public is the problem. It can only really be an effort to look tough to the public or to hurt the players reputation, which is below the belt IMO. It's fine if he tells the players what he expects and then cuts them if they don't provide it, but why take it to the media? It's his job to produce wins. If the Bills are winning, then I don't care what he is telling them. If they are losing, then I don't are what he is telling them. It's all really just tabloid fodder. Here's an article that sums up how I think a head coach (or any leader) should behave in assigning blame or credit to his players. It's the philosophy I try and live by with my company.

http://www.weldingan...of-bear-bryant/

Look Vince. I like what you're saying. I supervise people and I NEVER show them up in front of others. I respect people who don't engage in public pissing matches, I respect those who don't always have to get the last word in. I respect people who can admit when they are wrong.

All of these things are virtues. BUT, these guys are involved in a high-stakes business. Gailey's neck is on the line. Maybin's neck is on the line. There's a lot at stake for a lot of people…millions of dollars and just as importantly, people's professional and personal reputations. Because of these factors, I don't have a problem with a public callout.

Also have you considered that Gailey has already said these things to Maybin and Evans and that the private approach has yielded zero results? Doesn't Eric Woods' comment about Maybin "not earning his money" possibly indicate that Gailey's comments to Maybin might have the strong backing and approval of the rest of the team?

Maybe this is the way Gailey deals with those with whom he's at his wit's end…that his public reproaches are the final warning to these players to play better and try harder.

http://www.weldingandgasestoday.org/index.php/2010/08/the-wisdom-of-bear-bryant/

I supervise people as well and don't call them out in public, but they don't get paid millions and play in front of 80,000 people. This is different. And we as fans, at least some of us, want our coach to not use the same old pablum that DJ spewed. Tuna, Bellicheat and other winning coaches let everyone know when someone is in the doghouse and for some, that's what motivates them. We disagree. I like my coach to hold these players accountable.

+1

The last thing I want to see a 4-12 coach do is call out other players when he hasn't shown anyone he can win.

Maybe most of the posters were very impressed with his 4-12 coaching...I wasn't.

He is not Parcells so lets not act like him. I enjoy his frank and honest candor but as stated he should look in the mirror first.

As far as I'm concerned this needs to be Chan's breakout season. All of the analysis and straight forward talk doesn't mean a thing if he doesn't win. A coach that calls his players out will eventually get called out by his players if he doesn't win.

Edited by VADC Bills