Concern about Dareus

225x 24 reps at the combine is not very impressive for a DT. I know its not the only thing you look at but you have to be concerned when the dude weighs over 300 lbs is going up against multiple blockers and has a pretty weak effort here. I just dont want to see the guy getting pushed around like a ragdoll, especially in a 3-4 where alot more would be asked of him.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Bama fans seem to think he is going to be a bust because of a lack of effort. They say he took plays off. Atleast the half a dozen or so I spoke with when I was down in 'Bama country.

Yesterday, I posted a youtube clip of his LSU game this year and he literally did nothing in that game. Not only didn't he look like a #3 pick, he didn't look like a first rounder. He looked slow, lumbering and did not attack the ball carrier.

Dareus has officially become the most overrated player in this draft.

There is a big misconception about the bench test being indicative of functional strength. The 225lb bench press is not a test of strength for lineman, it's really a test of muscular endurance. 225lbs is just not a lot of weight for players over 270lbs. For lineman, lifting 315lbs would be better test for strength. I'd be willing to gamble the guy who had the most reps at the combine would not have the highest 1-rep max bench of all the attendees.

Back before the NFL Combine was all the rage, I witnessed a bench press challenge between 2 of my college friends, to see who could bench 225lbs the most times. One guy was a monster powerlifter who was pretty pudgy & could bench press over 450lbs, the other guy was just a regular muscular dude in good all-around shape who could max 350ish. Everybody assumed the bigger & stronger guy would win and laughed at the challenge. The big strong powerlifter only got it about 20x, while the other guy was around 25x. Obviously the guy who can bench press 450lbs was stronger, but his lifting endurance was sub-par.

Yesterday, I posted a youtube clip of his LSU game this year and he literally did nothing in that game. Not only didn't he look like a #3 pick, he didn't look like a first rounder. He looked slow, lumbering and did not attack the ball carrier.

I share your concerns and I don't know if Dareus will be good or not. I don't know if ANY rookie will pan out until after a couple/three seasons to better assess him. But I do know that I can isolate game tape of any player and find plays where he was beaten, let alone didn't dominate. Bruce took lots of plays off at VA Tech, for example. But I can find many other plays where he totally destroyed his man. There's enough tape of Dareus dominating to have several experts rank him at or near the top of the draft. I haven't seen any reports that suggest he's over-rated.

That said, you have just as good a chance as being right about that at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

I share your concerns and I don't know if Dareus will be good or not. I don't know if ANY rookie will pan out until after a couple/three seasons to better assess him. But I do know that I can isolate game tape of any player and find plays where he was beaten, let alone didn't dominate. Bruce took lots of plays off at VA Tech, for example. But I can find many other plays where he totally destroyed his man. There's enough tape of Dareus dominating to have several experts rank him at or near the top of the draft. I haven't seen any reports that suggest he's over-rated.

That said, you have just as good a chance as being right about that at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, NFP has him ranked 14th...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html

I keep feeling that Dareus is being falsely sold as some kind of a huge difference maker, when reality is that he isn't going to be that. He'll probably end up being a very good gap filler. As much as we need gap filling on defense, that's not good value for the #3 pick IMO.

Well, NFP has him ranked 14th...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html

I keep feeling that Dareus is being falsely sold as some kind of a huge difference maker, when reality is that he isn't going to be that. He'll probably end up being a very good gap filler. As much as we need gap filling on defense, that's not good value for the #3 pick IMO.

Does that make Dareus "over" rated by the experts that have him higher or "under" rated by this particular evaluator?

I couldn't agree more with your idea of "gap" filler. We need a star in the making with that pick, no doubt.

GO BILLS!!!

225x 24 reps at the combine is not very impressive for a DT. I know its not the only thing you look at but you have to be concerned when the dude weighs over 300 lbs is going up against multiple blockers and has a pretty weak effort here. I just dont want to see the guy getting pushed around like a ragdoll, especially in a 3-4 where alot more would be asked of him.

watched him play a lot and it always seemed that he was doing all the pushing around.

however unfortunately i dont think he will be there for us anyway.if he somehow gets by carolina he will never get by denver especially with bowers getting hurt.

i definatly feel that he would be our pick if he was somehow available but we wont be so lucky.

he is mayock's #1 player in the draft and is #1 overall on most boards in the NFL IMO.

thank God you are not buddy nix because every scout and GM in the NFL would call your comments insane!

thank God you are not buddy nix because every scout and GM in the NFL would call your comments insane!

That's the thing, we have no idea what the NFL teams think of this guy. It seems that every draft the "experts" like Mayock and Kiper get thrown some big curve balls during the draft.

Have you ever seen Dareus being interviewed? It's not pretty. Those are things that will drop a player, especially one who's stats are less than stellar.

The Bills probably are looking for someone at #3 who's great, impactful, a leader type and one who has a high level of intelligence.

Edited by 1billsfan

We don't need the best Dlineman, we need the best pass rusher. If Dareus can't do that, then screw him. We already have Troupe to be a space filler type. I'd rather go with Bowers if he's still there, otherwise I'd look at Fairly or Quinn.

The Bills probably are looking for someone at #3 who's great, impactful, a leader type and one who has a high level of intelligence.

Don't over think things. Nix is looking for guys who can play. The intelligence they need is on the field. Dareus might just be

the pick. But I tend to think Miller, Peterson or Newton will be the guy because they have more elite potential. Dareus is the

"safer" pick. At #3 I want potential greatness.

Don't over think things. Nix is looking for guys who can play. The intelligence they need is on the field. Dareus might just be

the pick. But I tend to think Miller, Peterson or Newton will be the guy because they have more elite potential. Dareus is the

"safer" pick. At #3 I want potential greatness.

I totally agree about greatness. We have guys on the D-line and even as LB's who are capable and can make plays. Carrington and K. Williams on the D-line will make plays, and you know Williams is going to be fighting each and every play - but, imagine how much better they'd be if there were a real monster DE opposite them, who was demanding half the line's attention? They'd both be that much better. Same goes with our linebackers. I think we can do with competent ILB's who have enough speed to cover (I'm hoping for Wilson in the second round), but if we had an OLB who could shut down one side of the field, then those types just multiply the talents of everyone around them. If I'm picking at #3 overall, I'm not looking for safe, I'm looking for an all-pro game changer.

Did you watch Youtube clips before coming to the conclusion that Robert Quinn was going to be an All Pro player in the NFL? :rolleyes:

Reasons why Quinn does and Dareus doesn't?

Depending on what comes of everything, Quinn might be a once in a generation talent. I'm not saying he is, but he might be. That size coupled with the speed that is rumored but not shown at the combine. If he has the speed and strength, the work ethic that it takes to come back from a brain tumor- the leverage of a 3x state champion wrestler... He might have that all time great upside.

I kind of group cam and Quinn together as huge potential but huge question marks that I'm glad I don't have to decide on. Dareus is #1 for me on the normal player rankings while those two I don't pretend to rate somewhere right now...If you say yes on that potential they are 1-2, if you say maybe or no.... I don't touch them with a 10 ft pole.

Depending on what comes of everything, Quinn might be a once in a generation talent. I'm not saying he is, but he might be. That size coupled with the speed that is rumored but not shown at the combine. If he has the speed and strength, the work ethic that it takes to come back from a brain tumor- the leverage of a 3x state champion wrestler... He might have that all time great upside.

I kind of group cam and Quinn together as huge potential but huge question marks that I'm glad I don't have to decide on. Dareus is #1 for me on the normal player rankings while those two I don't pretend to rate somewhere right now [/font]...If you say yes on that potential they are 1-2, if you say maybe or no.... I don't touch them with a 10 ft pole.

Your assessment very much follows somewhat Mayak's ranking of players. Dareus is in his #1 spot. Subject to change of course. My leanings with our pick are Gabbert/Newton. More and more I get the sense that Gailey wants Newton. Just my intuition kicking in.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81eb95ea/Mayock-s-Top-16-prospects?module=HP_cp2