ESPN John Clayton Q&A

Here's the Q&A with John Clayton:

Q: Given the wide range of talent in this year's draft class, if you were the Bills' GM, who would you want to take with the third overall pick?

Alan in Portland, Ore.

A: If I were the Bills' GM, I'd draft Cam Newton. Chan Gailey can design a good offense for him to develop, even if he's only a 54-percent thrower as a rookie. Gailey likes to work with mobile quarterbacks, and you're not going to find one more talented than the 6-foot-5, 248-pound Newton. Sure, the Bills can draft a defensive player, but I think their talent is better suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4. If they keep drafting for a 3-4 scheme, they are going nowhere. This is a quarterback-driven league and the Bills have had only two first-round quarterbacks selected in their history. It's time to step up and take a Newton.

I'm still not sold on Newton, I kind of agree with him on the 3-4 defense, here's the link for complete Q&A:

My link

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: Given the wide range of talent in this year's draft class, if you were the Bills' GM, who would you want to take with the third overall pick?

Alan in Portland, Ore.

A: If I were the Bills' GM, I'd draft Cam Newton. Chan Gailey can design a good offense for him to develop, even if he's only a 54-percent thrower as a rookie. Gailey likes to work with mobile quarterbacks, and you're not going to find one more talented than the 6-foot-5, 248-pound Newton. Sure, the Bills can draft a defensive player, but I think their talent is better suited for a 4-3 than a 3-4. If they keep drafting for a 3-4 scheme, they are going nowhere. This is a quarterback-driven league and the Bills have had only two first-round quarterbacks selected in their history. It's time to step up and take a Newton.

I'm still not sold on Newton, I kind of agree with him on the 3-4 defense, here's the link for complete Q&A:

My link

I wouldn't be opposed to Newton. But, the logic behind the 3-4 is mind boggling. So, if I'm reading this correctly, if they draft for the scheme they want to use, they are going nowhere? So...ummm...how does a franchise build for different schemes other than through the draft?

Alan in Portland, Ore.

My link

How else should we convert to a 3-4 then? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be opposed to Newton. But, the logic behind the 3-4 is mind boggling. So, if I'm reading this correctly, if they draft for the scheme they want to use, they are going nowhere? So...ummm...how does a franchise build for different schemes other than through the draft?

Nevermind, you beat me too it....makes no sense whatsoever.

I just don't believe in Cam Newton.

Newton is:

1. a one year producer that didn't win with NFL skills (more running than passing, no exp under center, ...)

2. a tremendous athlete - nobody doubts that.

3. a guy who has a lot of character red-flags (stolen computers, academic fraud, at least

periphery involvement in trying to get money during his recruitment

I think Newton is too fake and is a disaster waiting to happen, even if he had no character flaws.

How else should we convert to a 3-4 then? :rolleyes:

Nevermind, you beat me too it....makes no sense whatsoever.

You can tell that Clayton has really put in a lot of time analyzing the bills. :rolleyes:

If we keep drafting for a 3-4 scheme we're going nowhere. LMFAO. :blink:

Apparently once a franchise has a defensive scheme, that's all she wrote for the rest of eternity! The beauty is that this clown probably gets paid 300K a year for this analysis.

Alan in Portland, Ore.

Another reason why Clayton is dumb.

You can tell that Clayton has really put in a lot of time analyzing the bills. :rolleyes:

If we keep drafting for a 3-4 scheme we're going nowhere. LMFAO. :blink:

Apparently once a franchise has a defensive scheme, that's all she wrote for the rest of eternity! The beauty is that this clown probably gets paid 300K a year for this analysis.

Clayton mentions that the talent we have is better suited for the 4-3, so we should be drafting for the 4-3 and stick to it....This year the Bills started with the 3-4 and by the end of the season they we're using the 4-3 more often than not, this offseason they hired Dave Wannstedt as assistant coach and linebacker coach, he is known as a 4-3 coach, not to forget the extension given to Kelsay during the season who is nothing else but a 4-3 defensive end, so are we back to the 4-3 and drafting guys that fit the 4-3 or we stick going to the 3-4 gradually ???...Clayton obviously makes it clear what direction we should be going...I'm not approving Clayton 100% here, just stating why he made the statement that we are going nowhere by drafting 3-4 guys...

Wasn't sure myself, so I double checked, Losman and Kelly are the only two QB picked in the 1st round by the Bills...

Bills Draft History

That's what I thought as well. Wonder who dev was thinking of?

QB Richie Lucas of Penn State was the Bills first pick in their first draft in 1960.

Wow, good piece of trivia. :thumbsup:

But Im not sure I count him in that discussion...

John Clayton, the guy blabbers on and on about how great organizations like the Patriots are & calls out our owner for shooting down the '06 CBA. Now the guy is recommending we draft Newton because we don't know how to build a 3-4 Defense. This guy is the master of the obvious and at the end of the day he really doesn't offer solutions just excuses & long-winded diatribes.

Wasn't sure myself, so I double checked, Losman and Kelly are the only two QB picked in the 1st round by the Bills...

Bills Draft History

Looked through the list a second time, interesting, 2 first round and 3 second round selections at the most important position (qb), compared to 10 first round and 6 second round selections at arguably the most replaceable position (rb). Helps explain 5 decades of fan frustration...

Looked through the list a second time, interesting, 2 first round and 3 second round selections at the most important position (qb), compared to 10 first round and 6 second round selections at arguably the most replaceable position (rb). Helps explain 5 decades of fan frustration...

Whatever you do, dont count up the DBs :wallbash: