How Long Before The Nuclear Power Plant Situation..

Dante

....in Japan is politicized and exploited by environmentalists? May be inappropriate to even speculate but I think in about 36hours. Unless its already happened and I just haven't picked up on it. I know Hillary is promising coolant to help Japan out but apparently the plant in question is water cooled so coolant could not be used. Not claiming to be a expert but one on the radio was talking about it.

Edited by Dante

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....in Japan is politicized and exploited by environmentalists? May be inappropriate to even speculate but I think in about 36hours. Unless its already happened and I just haven't picked up on it. I know Hillary is promising coolant to help Japan out but apparently the plant in question is water cooled so coolant could not be used. Not claiming to be a expert but one on the radio was talking about it.

Should have happened already, if the anti-nuclear lobby was awake.

If Hillary's offering "coolant" (which I hadn't seen anywhere but here), she's an even bigger moron than I gave her credit for. Never mind the fact that she's basically offering water to an island nation, the reactor has plenty of coolant; it needs diesel generators for the pumps. May as well offer them a "reset" button to undo the earthquake damage.

Considering how well the plants rode out the 5th largest earthquake in a century,I would consider it a positive for the industry. I would rather be next to a Nuclear plant during a 8.9 then downstream of a hydroelectric dam.

You guys act like it's still the 70s and there's some big leftie assault on nuclar power.

If it was still the 1970s, I would be crapping in a diaper, pissing my pants, and crying for attention.

So what you're saying is that I would act like you?

Should have happened already, if the anti-nuclear lobby was awake.

If Hillary's offering "coolant" (which I hadn't seen anywhere but here), she's an even bigger moron than I gave her credit for. Never mind the fact that she's basically offering water to an island nation, the reactor has plenty of coolant; it needs diesel generators for the pumps. May as well offer them a "reset" button to undo the earthquake damage.

Here's a bit of a explanation

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110311/pl_nm/us_japan_quake_nuclear_clinton

And then this. heh

http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=211773

Dear Hillary: shut the !@#$ up. Sincerely, etc., etc.

Conflicting reports right now...but supposedly, the reactor (unit 1) suffered a partial meltdown as of 15 minutes ago. And they're having trouble cooling another one (unit 2). And apparently this is all due to the backup generators, while being designed to be earthquake resistant, were not designed to be tsunami-resistant. At a reactor on the coast. In a country where tsunami are so common that they gave us the word "tsunami".

Conflicting reports right now...but supposedly, the reactor (unit 1) suffered a partial meltdown as of 15 minutes ago. And they're having trouble cooling another one (unit 2). And apparently this is all due to the backup generators, while being designed to be earthquake resistant, were not designed to be tsunami-resistant. At a reactor on the coast. In a country where tsunami are so common that they gave us the word "tsunami".

Like the second floor? Where the hell were they-in the basement?

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

You haven't talked to any environmentalists lately, have you?

You can't hug children with nuclear arms!

I'm waiting for the Manbearpig crowd to issue a papal bull decreeing the earthquake a result of Global Warming Climate Change (We Can Believe In)

Funny, I am waiting on Ted Hagard and Rick Santorum to blame the homosexuals...

This shouldn't have an effect on the use of nuclear power which we need more than ever but it should have an effect on the type of nuclear power plants we build. We should be moving to liquid fluoride thorium reactors, they have passive safety inherent to the design.

"Safety--LFTRs are designed to take advantage of the physics of the thorium cycle for optimum safety. The fluid in the core is not pressurized, thus eliminating the driving force of radiation release in conventional approaches. The LFTR reactor cannot melt down because of a runaway reaction or other nuclear reactivity accidents (such as at Chernobyl), because any increase in the reactor's operating temperature results in a reduction of reactor power, thus stabilizing the reactor without the need for human intervention. Further, the reactor is designed with a salt plug drain in the bottom of the core vessel. If the fluid gets too hot or for any other reason including power failures, the plug naturally melts, and the fluid dumps into a passively cooled containment vessel where decay heat is removed. This feature prevents any Three Mile Island-type accidents or radiation releases due to accident or sabotage and provides a convenient means to shut down and restart the system quickly and easily."

Motion on the floor to change the word "tsunami" back to the (inappropriate and inaccurate) term "tidal wave".

Funny, I am waiting on Ted Hagard and Rick Santorum to blame the homosexuals...

I have no doubt the Hagard/Santorum crowd will chime in just like the Manbearpig crowd.

Douchebags with an agenda will use any excuse to push their asshattery onto the general public