Buddy high on Troup

Aloha22

Nix was asked specifically about having two defensive tackles in Pro Bowler Kyle Williams and Torell Troup and flatly replied, "I don't think that's an area of need. I don't." Nix added that Troup, last year's second-round draft pick, would rate "probably first or second" on this year's draft board at nose tackle. But maybe the Bills are comfortable Dareus can play the end and go with him here.

Full article here from ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26800/you-cant-argue-with-mel-kiper-or-can-you

I sure hope that Troup plays like a first or second round player this year. I live in Orlando and he played here at UCF and impressed. Needs to pick up his game. If he had Dareus, Bowers or Fairly next playing next to him would help.

he didnt say 1st or second round, he said top 1-2 guys at the position if he was coming out this year.

he didnt say 1st or second round, he said top 1-2 guys at the position if he was coming out this year.

pretty impressive considering the talent coming out in that positions in this yrs draft...gotta love the confidence buddy is displaying. Now I just hope troupe proves that on the field this year

Nix was asked specifically about having two defensive tackles in Pro Bowler Kyle Williams and Torell Troup and flatly replied, "I don't think that's an area of need. I don't." Nix added that Troup, last year's second-round draft pick, would rate "probably first or second" on this year's draft board at nose tackle. But maybe the Bills are comfortable Dareus can play the end and go with him here.

So this just in: Buddy Nix isn't prepared to give up on his 2nd rounder last season not becoming a strong starter at his only position - NT.

Yeah - like I've been saying for a while - whatever people on this board think about our DL, Nix just invested the lion's share of last offseason to upgrade it (Troup, Carrington, Dwan Edwards) - he's not about to do that all over again just so last year's acquisitions can ride the bench.

They might go DE given that Stroud's gone - but they'll have to find a spot for Kelsay, Edwards, and Carrington.

If they don't think Williams is moving to DE (and maybe even if they do move him), there is no freaking way they take Dareus or Fairley.

I wouldn't rule out Bowers/Quinn if they think they can play OLB and aren't convinced Merriman can come back, but more likely Miller, Green, Gabbert, or Peterson - whichever they see as this year's Spiller (BPA).

That’s not exactly a ringing endorsement. Outside of Phil Taylor – is there a 34 NG out there that has a 1st or 2nd round grade? Paea, Austin, they aren’t prototype 34 NGs. Saying he would be the 2nd best NG in this class is like calling him a mid 2nd round pick IMO.

Plus, this really doesn’t mean much to me. When the head of a scouting staff, that has proved they are inept, endorses a player - that’s like a quasi-knock on him, isn’t it? The last thing I would want as a player is to be highly touted by the worst scouting staff in the NFL – because then you know you suck!

Does anyone else find it a bit scary that the GM doesn't see DT as a need on a team that was last in the league in rushing defense?

Maybe Nix is using misdirection and obfuscation to hide his true intentions? I hope so.

I would still vote for Fairley or Dareus as the top choice.

Does anyone else find it a bit scary that the GM doesn't see DT as a need on a team that was last in the league in rushing defense?

Maybe Nix is using misdirection and obfuscation to hide his true intentions? I hope so.

I would still vote for Fairley or Dareus as the top choice.

I'd find it a lot scarier if we had a GM who was giving up on his top picks every year and starting over with more picks at the same position.

There has been a GM like that in the NFL recently - his name was Matt Millen. Your mileage may vary, but most view him as the worst GM ever.

That’s not exactly a ringing endorsement. Outside of Phil Taylor – is there a 34 NG out there that has a 1st or 2nd round grade? Paea, Austin, they aren’t prototype 34 NGs. Saying he would be the 2nd best NG in this class is like calling him a mid 2nd round pick IMO.

Plus, this really doesn’t mean much to me. When the head of a scouting staff, that has proved they are inept, endorses a player - that’s like a quasi-knock on him, isn’t it? The last thing I would want as a player is to be highly touted by the worst scouting staff in the NFL – because then you know you suck!

Is this sarcasm? If not, I weep for the collective IQ of this board.

Buddy thinks the guy he picked in the second round is good? wow that's shocking hold the presses- call me when he says the Spiller pick was a big #@$%ing mistake but they are going to try to salvage something out of him.

+1

Think about this for a minute. The run D last year wasn't pounded into submission -- and RBs didn't have great success running it up the gut. The run D took most of its lumps in pursuit and in allowing RBs to cut-back. That is more on the DEs and LBs in my mind. And that is why I tend to agree that we need more help at LB and DE (especially LB) than we do at DT.

You have to take the ends and LB's into account in this situation also. The Bills are extremely weak in both positions.

Buddy thinks the guy he picked in the second round is good? wow that's shocking hold the presses- call me when he says the Spiller pick was a big #@$%ing mistake but they are going to try to salvage something out of him.

Marcell Dareous, Nick Fairley, Muhommad Wilkerson, Corey Liuget, Stephen Paea, Phil Taylor, and Marvin Austin. This is one of the deepest DL drafts I have ever seen. If Buddy is truthful and truly believes Troup would rank #1 or 2 in this class- that is indeed high praise

pretty impressive considering the talent coming out in that positions in this yrs draft...gotta love the confidence buddy is displaying. Now I just hope troupe proves that on the field this year

What's impressive? That a GM is talking up the guy he drafted last year?

Why is that impressive?

Troup wouldn't be 1 or 2 at NT in anyone else's mind.