Samsung for LCD?

I was in Best Buy the other day and walked by a Samsung LED. I don't know which one it was or anything, but the picture was unbelievable from all angles and distances (within reason). I have never seen such clarity and detail on any TV. I'm sure it was playing a Blu-Ray and that helps, but still, the picture was amazing.

Do not buy a Samsung. My dad has two LCDs from Samsung, they have a designed flaw with their capacitors. They put capacitors that are not designed to withstand the amount of current that passes through them. They will fail right after your warranty expires. The fix is a $10 radio shack capacitor and some soldering, but you have to know what you're doing. My dad did this on his 52 inch LCD.

He also had a bad experience with another samsung LCD that he returned for warranty repairs and had it sent back severely cosmetically damaged. Samsung did not do anything to recoup this damage.

I have a Vizio and I am happy with it. Great bang for the buck.

Do not buy a Samsung. My dad has two LCDs from Samsung, they have a designed flaw with their capacitors. They put capacitors that are not designed to withstand the amount of current that passes through them. They will fail right after your warranty expires. The fix is a $10 radio shack capacitor and some soldering, but you have to know what you're doing. My dad did this on his 52 inch LCD.

I have a 52" LCD Samsung that is a couple years old. Works FINE! :thumbsup:

But that reminds me of a 27" Phillips tube TV I had. Bought it for $250 with a 90 day warranty. Day 100 it fries itself to the tune of a $175 repair and Phillips told me too bad. BUT, we really value you as a customer :thumbdown:

Joe, I've had my Samsung LCD for five years and still looks as good today as it did when I bought it. Samsung makes the panels for several other manufacturers, including Sony (at least they did back when I was doing my research...this may have changed over the last few years I have no idea). If I were to buy another LCD display today, it would be a Samsung without question.

Samsung as the main TV in my house, Vizio's in the bedroom and office. Samsung blows them away, but I'm happy with the cost/quality trade-off in the lesser used rooms.

Yes, Samsung did have an issue with their power supply caps as pointed out, but that issue is no more.

He also had a bad experience with another samsung LCD that he returned for warranty repairs and had it sent back severely cosmetically damaged. Samsung did not do anything to recoup this damage.

I have a Vizio and I am happy with it. Great bang for the buck.

Is the similar bad caps issue that was plaguing electronics (and most Dells) in the late 1990's and 2000's... ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

There is no question that Samsung has the best picture but their customer service and record with failing components like capacitors is well known. I am JoeFerguson's dad, the one that has first hand experience. Those of you that have had your Samsung for 2-5 years, beware.

They still use inferior components and their repair department, customer service departments are incompetent.

Well, I took the plunge and got a pretty good deal, I think. I purchased a Samsung UN46C6500 46-Inch 120 Hz 1080p LED HDTV on clearance. A year ago, this TV was almost $2000. I got it for less than $1000 and couldn't be happier. Thanks all for your input. :)

Well, I took the plunge and got a pretty good deal, I think. I purchased a Samsung UN46C6500 46-Inch 120 Hz 1080p LED HDTV on clearance. A year ago, this TV was almost $2000. I got it for less than $1000 and couldn't be happier. Thanks all for your input. :)

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46C6500VFXZA

Nice :thumbsup:

There is no question that Samsung has the best picture but their customer service and record with failing components like capacitors is well known. I am JoeFerguson's dad, the one that has first hand experience. Those of you that have had your Samsung for 2-5 years, beware.

They still use inferior components and their repair department, customer service departments are incompetent.

Cool, a father and son that post to TBD. Any other posters related to each other?

Good Get.... First TV I ever bought new, a 19" Samsung tube back in 1989... thing still works great in the spare bedroom all these years later.