An overlooked QB prospect

I've decided to do a series of articles on prospects who are being overlooked in the upcoming NFL draft. Today were going to start the first article with the QB position. Theres one QB who could go in the 4th or 5th round who for whatever reason isn't gettimg a lot of press. That QB is Idaho QB Nathan Enderle. Read more after the jump.

Landed yet? Good. When first looking at Enderle don't be misled by the lack of stats. Lets look instead at the physical attributes, 6 foot 4 231 pounds. Lightning quick release(as quick as Gabberts IMO.) He has a huge arm, and the ability to keep a play alive with his feet. He comes from a pro style offense, and has played well behind a craptastic O line.He's also shown a willingness to take a hit to make a pass. On the downside he does like to lock onto a reciever, and he's a little to willing to put the ball into a tight space.

Enderles Career stats

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2007 132 298 1787 44.3 6.00 58 10 18 23 93.66

2008 184 339 2077 54.3 6.13 81 20 17 33 115.18

2009 192 312 2906 61.5 9.31 73 22 9 20 157.27

2010 271 478 3314 56.7 6.93 76 22 16 39 123.43

Anyhow he's not really a guy I've seen a lot of,because honestly who watches Idaho football? But I've seen the name pop up, did some research, and well now I'm really really intrigued.

Nathan Enderle vs La Tech

An awful lot of incompletions in that tape. He stares at and locks down on his main receiver on nearly every play. Didn't see any pump fakes. Tries to throw a lot into double coverage. Doesn't have great accuracy. Most sacks taken in the nation (to date, according to the announcers) which makes me wonder if he reads and understands his protections properly. Questionable arms strength IMO.

He takes a lot of snaps from under center and will stay in the pocket, but can roll out. Not an improviser.

A late round prospect as a developmental project. Backup potential.

How about Pat Devlin from Delaware. I have my ey on pat because he has the profile of a Chan Gailey QB. Big, athletic good arem, good decision maker.

I'd love to see more on Dalton (QB Big Board #58), McElroy #106, Taylor Potts #162, Austen Arnaud #307, and Jerrod Johnson #361.

Thanks for the info, seems like this guy is pretty clutch. He won his last bowl game on two passes - last second TD and 2pt conversion! So far I like him but not as much as Stanzi. I see them as similar except Stanzi is better at avoiding pressure. It's a small point, but Enderle seems to have a weird "tell" on his play action fake by lowering his head way more than he does on his normal handoffs

He was one of the more impresssive QBs in teh Senior Bowl game. Prob another Levi Brown type prospect, but almost any player is worth a 6th or 7th.

That was actually the Shrine game. He threw for a touchdown and two point conversion. I don't think he's like Brown, because he played under center and I found multiple places that said he is good at going through his progressions. On the last second conversion to win the humanitarian bowl game, he said he threw to his second read. Skipped the tight end which was his first read. Clip is below (start at 3:00)

What's the point of wasting a lower round pick on a qb? If you are serious in upgrading the most important position on the field then you go after the best prospect, or you don't bother wasting a pick. If you review the qbs in the playoffs for the past couple of years it is obvious that upper tier franchise qbs are usually taken in the first round.

I'm starting to lean towards Gabbert if he is there. The Bills have not had an impactful franchise qb since the retirement of Jim Kelly, almost a generation ago.

Edited by JohnC

What's the point of wasting a lower round pick on a qb? If you are serious in upgrading the most important position on the field then you go after the best prospect, or you don't bother wasting a pick. If you review the qbs in the playoffs for the past couple of years it is obvious that upper tier franchise qbs are usually taken in the first round.

I'm starting to lean towards Gabbert if he is there. The Bills have not had an impactful franchise qb since the retirement of Jim Kelly, almost a generation ago.

The reason I'm interested in some of the lower regarded guys, is that I honestly think one of them could be the best QB this year. Here's why I'm not sold on guys:

Not sold:

Locker - Inaccuracy

Mallett - Can look amazing, but too dependent on a clean pocket IMO

Gabbert - Very low YPA. Senses pressure that's not there. Choked hard in biggest game of his life

Newton - Intriguing, but this felon looks risky

Dalton - Looks poor from what I have seen. Not a pro-style offense

McElroy - Looks poor from what I have seen.

Not sure:

Enderle - Somewhat polished in pro offense. Not as good stats as Stanzi, but had worse situation. Great arm. Not so elusive. Clutch

Kaepernick - Has a lot going for him, but the type of offense he ran makes it hard to tell.

Devlin - Haven't looked into him yet.

Kinda sold:

Stanzi - Polished in pro offense. Great stats that improved every year. Great arm from what I can tell. Elusive. Clutch

That was actually the Shrine game. He threw for a touchdown and two point conversion. I don't think he's like Brown, because he played under center and I found multiple places that said he is good at going through his progressions. On the last second conversion to win the humanitarian bowl game, he said he threw to his second read. Skipped the tight end which was his first read. Clip is below (start at 3:00)

youtube.com/watch?v=k3sk1P3iXC8

I stand corrected, it was the Shrine game. And I said a Levi Brown type guy in the sense that he will be a late round QB who is prob a career backup. I do like him though.

The reason I'm interested in some of the lower regarded guys, is that I honestly think one of them could be the best QB this year. Here's why I'm not sold on guys:

Not sold:

Locker - Inaccuracy

Gabbert - Very low YPA. Senses pressure that's not there. Choked hard in biggest game of his life

Not sure:

Enderle - Somewhat polished in pro offense. Not as good stats as Stanzi, but had worse situation. Great arm. Not so elusive. Clutch

Kaepernick - Has a lot going for him, but the type of offense he ran makes it hard to tell.

Kinda sold:

Stanzi - Polished in pro offense. Great stats that improved every year. Great arm from what I can tell. Elusive. Clutch

Wow so he's a felon now?... Its really ashame the things people say when they really dislike a person. It really is sad...

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

Not sold:

Locker - Inaccuracy

Not sure:

Kinda sold:

Felon????

You are saying Stanzi is the best of the bunch...You have obviously been hanging out with Charlie Sheen too long.

Edited by VADC Bills

He was not convicted. I stand corrected. Not trying to flame Newton, for all I know he could turn into a hall of famer. But there are red flags:

Arrested on three felony counts (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/11/21/1122gatorsqb.html)

Not a great work ethic (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/larry-felser/article359483.ece)

Incomplete list without Christian Ponder

Stats

Gailey knows him from the Senior Bowl where he did very well. This video shows him in a situation he would find in Buffalo, I think.

Video

My only real complaints are that he throws off the back foot too much and sometimes a bit too high in situations that don't require it.

Incomplete list without Christian Ponder

Stats

Gailey knows him from the Senior Bowl where he did very well. This video shows him in a situation he would find in Buffalo, I think.

Video

My only real complaints are that he throws off the back foot too much and sometimes a bit too high in situations that don't require it.

Good point, he is solid. I think I would put him in my "Not sure" category because his stats dropped so much his last year