Yet another thread on draft thoughts, scenarios

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd round pick will be either Dalton or Ponder. Whoever is there when the Bills draft.

If the Bills don't take Newton or Gabbert with the first pick then it makes no sense to take one until the fifth round on (maybe one of the 4th picks depending on who's there). Ask yourself what the chances are the either Dalton or Ponder could ever become as good as Fitzpatrick is right now. The answer to me is there's a very slim chance of that happening. Fitzpatrick is a good QB on his way to being a very good QB. He's smart and threw 23 TDs in 13 games coming in off the bench.

Picking either Ponder or Dalton is throwing away a much needed starter somewhere else on the team, be it LB, DE, CB or OL. The Bills need starters!

If they don't take QB in the first then they should just go with Fitzpatrick and reevaluate the position after this coming season.

Buddy Nix in a recent interview listed DE, CB, ILB,QB, and OT as najor needs. OLB is not listed as he said he is happy with Merriman, Moats and maybe Maybin. So here's what the bills draft might look like, he said he doe'nt like to trade down either.

1. Patrick Peterson, LSU S/CB. Best Player in the draft, listed as need by Nix. This pick is assuming that Newton was selected by Carolina.

2. Akeem Ayers, UCLA ILB. One of the best ILB in the draft.

3. Andy Dalton TCU, QB. career stats Project QB to back up Fitz. Risng up the charts and Galley knows him.

4a. Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin. Bills get lucky and this guys slips to 4th round.

4b. Marcus Gilbert Florida OT, can challege foe starter and adds depth.

5. Lawrence Guy Arizona St DE. Depth at position. has good size 6'5" 300.

6. Josh Bynes Auburn ILB. More LB Depth.

7. Graig Cooper Miami RB. Best Player on Board. Depth behind Spiller and Jackson.

It's not my favorite draft, but the Bills never draft what I want or expect.

Happy with our OLBs? That is our weakest area? I hope this is not true. I also hope the Kelsey OLB experiment is over.

If the Bills don't take Newton or Gabbert with the first pick then it makes no sense to take one until the fifth round on (maybe one of the 4th picks depending on who's there). Ask yourself what the chances are the either Dalton or Ponder could ever become as good as Fitzpatrick is right now. The answer to me is there's a very slim chance of that happening. Fitzpatrick is a good QB on his way to being a very good QB. He's smart and threw 23 TDs in 13 games coming in off the bench.

Picking either Ponder or Dalton is throwing away a much needed starter somewhere else on the team, be it LB, DE, CB or OL. The Bills need starters!

If they don't take QB in the first then they should just go with Fitzpatrick and reevaluate the position after this coming season.

For those who see Gailey will pick Newton or Gabbert or in fact devote much in terms of draft resources to a QB I still ask what examples are there in Gailey's history of training a rookie QB into his successful starter.

He could always do something different than he has ever done, but if one insists that drafting a rookie QB will happen there needs to be a credible case stated than just claiming you need a 1st round or highly drafted QB.

We do not need Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith or a host of others. The Gailey MO has been to get a Jay Fiedler, Kordell Stewart, Thigpen, or Bulger, etc to run his O.

No one has come remotely close to explaining why Gailey is going to do something different this time around.

For those who see Gailey will pick Newton or Gabbert or in fact devote much in terms of draft resources to a QB I still ask what examples are there in Gailey's history of training a rookie QB into his successful starter.

He could always do something different than he has ever done, but if one insists that drafting a rookie QB will happen there needs to be a credible case stated than just claiming you need a 1st round or highly drafted QB.

We do not need Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith or a host of others. The Gailey MO has been to get a Jay Fiedler, Kordell Stewart, Thigpen, or Bulger, etc to run his O.

No one has come remotely close to explaining why Gailey is going to do something different this time around.

Gailey isn't the only one making the picks: Nix has Rivers on his resume from SD, and Whaley has Roethlisberger on his from Pitt.

we couldn't stop the run and this is one of the deepest dline drafts of recent years. If we don't land a great dt and de this draft would be another disaster. I don't understand the Peterson hype. He is a numbers guy, the production is not there. We can't afford to blow the 3rd pick

If the draft is deep at these positions wouldn't they be better served to draft Dline in the middle to later rounds. Especially with their investment at Dline in last years draft.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I really do hope that The Bills go Defensive Line first. Either Bowers, Fairly, Dareaus, Whomever is there out of the three. Any one of them will help our line. With losing Stroud, I still feel that Dareaus is the better run stopper. Two things we have been lacking for many years. Stopping the run and A good Defensive End. I think they get one of them first, Lets just hope they get the pick right. If we get Cam Newton, I will support it, but I think that guy will be under a microscope more so than any QB in the draft. If he does not pan out We will be set back yet again. Throw him in the trash heap, like former busts; Mike Williams, Losman, Maybin. The list keeps growing. We need to get this one right. Get the D-lineman first than Locker in the second. If Locker is not there, than Akeem Ayrers should be. Why do I feel every year that Our picks are dissapointing. I do think that Locker is the right guy for this team. I would not get him with the three pick, but we should get him with the second. If Minnesota remains interested in him, than Maybe package that extra 4th round pick to move up with another first round pick ahead of Minnesota. if not, than I would be happy with Ayers. Then it's on to the next QB. Ponder, Dalton, or Kapernick. The anticipation is killing me.

So you all think Cam Newton, or Bowers, or Von Miller, or DE , whatever.

Based on last year, who saw the Bills taking Spiller? They didn't need a running back, but they got one.

This year?

Julio Jones. Don't be shocked if it happens. We all know how unpredictable the Bills are. With Jones drafted then you know one of the receivers is gone. Maybe this is Lee's year to get traded. I can here the Bills fans moaning in agony now. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened.

Here's how it breaks down: If Newton goes before 3, then we pick either Fairley or Dareus. If Newton falls to 3, and if Fairly and Dareus are gone, we trade down with either WAS, DAL or maybe AZ.

PTR

I'd agree with that...if fairley/dareus go 1/2, i would heavily be in favor of a trade down

we couldn't stop the run and this is one of the deepest dline drafts of recent years. If we don't land a great dt and de this draft would be another disaster. I don't understand the Peterson hype. He is a numbers guy, the production is not there. We can't afford to blow the 3rd pick

Ths is not the draft I would like, this is what I think they will do.

I honestly can't see a trade down. In fact, can someone tell me the last time I team with a top 3 pick traded down?

This is one of the deepest draft classes in awhile and the talent at the top (outside of QB) is very good. There are at least 5-6 guys that could go number 1 overall in any other draft. Nix wants to hit on a winner and there will be least 3-4 can't miss guys at the number 3 spot.

Whether its Miller, Peterson, Fairley or Dareus, I don't think you can trade out of a position to pick any one of those guys.

I believe that the Bills will draft the two kids from N.Carolina with the first two picks. Remember the Wannstadt-Butch Davis connection. The Bills have the inside source on Quinn and Austin and won't hesitate to draft them if available. If Kaepernick is their in the 3rd, then he will be the Bills target. If not, they will stay on the defensive side of the ball.

If the draft is deep at these positions wouldn't they be better served to draft Dline in the middle to later rounds. Especially with their investment at Dline in last years draft.

Right on both counts.

And why draft DLine at all when the defensive weakness is linebacker? Also Troupe and Carrington need the opportunity to step up without sharing time with another new and inexperienced face on the Dline.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

To be honest I wouldn't mind if the Bills hold off on drafting a QB until next year. I know we cut Brohm but he sucked anyway, we can get someone else that is just as good as him off the street. And after reading a lot of the posts I think Dareus is the best fite for us at DE, he has the size and skill set to play the position in the 3-4 or 4-3. I also think people are under estimating Von Miller, this guy at Texas A&M made everyone around him better. I have to say I am an A&M fan living in Texas but have followed the Bills my whole life born in Alden and visiting my family there every summer throughout school and then some since I have been in the military. The guy is just one of those guys who make everyone around him better. He was so quick and he helped stop the run and contain QB's in more ways then one. He was so quick he would make the running backs run into the tackles instead of making it to the outside, and he is a natural pass rusher. There that is my soap box on Miller, to me he is just one of those guys, and I would be disappointed when we don't take him and someone like the Texans do. I also think we could sign the Aggies QB J. Johnson as an undrafted free agent. He is kinda the forgotten one as far as QB's go not playing the last 6 games or so, that is just cause he didn't fit Sherman's offense. But this guy can make all the throws and is a scrambler, not to mention a risk taker (like Gaily likes). He is definatly not a starting QB yet but I think with some coaching and learning a system he will be a very servicable backup with a chance down the line to start, and we wouldn't have to waste a draft pick on him or a lot of money experimenting this year. I think next year QB class is much more deeper.

Buddy Nix in a recent interview listed DE, CB, ILB,QB, and OT as najor needs. OLB is not listed as he said he is happy with Merriman, Moats and maybe Maybin. So here's what the bills draft might look like, he said he doe'nt like to trade down either.

1. Patrick Peterson, LSU S/CB. Best Player in the draft, listed as need by Nix. This pick is assuming that Newton was selected by Carolina.

2. Akeem Ayers, UCLA ILB. One of the best ILB in the draft.

3. Andy Dalton TCU, QB. career stats Project QB to back up Fitz. Risng up the charts and Galley knows him.

4a. Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin. Bills get lucky and this guys slips to 4th round.

4b. Marcus Gilbert Florida OT, can challege foe starter and adds depth.

5. Lawrence Guy Arizona St DE. Depth at position. has good size 6'5" 300.

6. Josh Bynes Auburn ILB. More LB Depth.

7. Graig Cooper Miami RB. Best Player on Board. Depth behind Spiller and Jackson.

It's not my favorite draft, but the Bills never draft what I want or expect.

No thanks;

1. QB Blaine Gabbert 6'4" 234 (need a franchise, good arm, feet and brains)

2. ROT Marcus Cannon 6'5" 358 (BIG MAN with good feet and agility)

3. DE Allen Baily 6'3" 285 (physical player strong rush moves)

4. ILB Colin Mcarthy 6'1' 235 (puts the hammer down, take notes Poz)

4. NT Kendrick Ellis 6'5" 340(sorry not buying Nix smoke about being set at NT/DT)

5. OLB Steve Friday 6'4" 250 (or that he is fine with Merriman and Co.)

6. TE Lee Smith 6'6" 269 (Good hands great blocker)

7. ILB Alex Wujciak 6'3" 255 (solid, gamer)

Probably wont happen but you never know with our FO. I thought all that Spiller talk was just Network BS untill it happened :blink::doh::angry::wallbash: I was livid for awhile and then I talked myself into thinking at least we got the best player at his position :lol: :lol: :lol: Now I'm sticking with view on the player regardless of who we pick because so far what I thought about each player was right before I started drinkin the cool-aid.