Yet another thread on draft thoughts, scenarios

Today I like Dareus. Yesterday I liked Fairley. The day before I liked Miller.

Is Newton a fig leaf or does he have gravitas? Does Bowers fit as a 3-4 DE? Is Quinn the best of them all?

It was much easier with Jauron--I'm sure we'd pick Peterson. My head hurts. :wallbash:

I know, I'm getting a headache reading all of this stuff and trying to determine who is best. It would be much easier if we were picking 32nd! :thumbsup:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The combine is the least effective tool used to judge a qb. Other than getting a better opportunity to get a feel for a qb as a person it tells you little about the prospects of any qb. Even there the players are so scripted and on message that there isn't much to draw from.

The best way to assess the qbs is to watch the tapes of their games. How they react to pressure, their level of accuracy and their field vision is more useful than any drill done in shorts. The teams that have a history of re-arranging their draft boards due to the combine usually draft poorly.

Maybe so, but I wasn't overly impressed about a week before the combine. Then, during combine week, I somehow let the 1,000 Cam Newton posts get me temporarily excited. All the combine did was level set my opinion to what it was at its original state. No QB before round 4, if at all, in my book.

Isn't Von Miller currently the same size as Clay Matthews?

Clay Matthews 6'3" - 246 lbs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MattCl99.htm

Von Miller 6' 5/8" - 246 lbs

http://footballsfuture.com/2011/combine/olb.html

I've changed my tune on Miller, I think he's worthy of the #3 pick (check out his 40 time, WOW). With how deep this draft is at defensive line, I think we can get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Yes and I have him in my mock in the 4th round...and everyone keeps telling me he is way to undersized! So I don't know it's just an opinion, and I liked him enough to have him as our choice in my previous mock...So he's worth consideration, but in the end I probably will lean elsewhere. Thanks for your reply!

All jokes aside...I think they've fallen in love with CB Peterson & go after QB Kapernick in the second round!

But, who really knows...Dallas could be a trade partner & we could get Newton at 9...who knows--only Skooby does!

Well your right Peterson is worth consideration and is a rare player, except that it's not a sexy pick...lol...I mean how nice would it be to get that DE that can get to the QB ten times or having that defensive end who can clog up the middle and stop the RB in his tracks!

Well supposedly they talked to Kapernick (maybe interviewed..) in the Combine and supposedly they only talked to 4 QB's, at least officially..who knows? and there is still Pro days for some players....Kapernick could be a possiblity, but I do feel that this is not the year to pursue a QB in the top 10 picks...

My feelings at the moment lean toward Marcell Dareus and quite honestly may change this week with more research changing my mind once again...lol

Thanks for your reply!

True that! A few of us were out at the Bills bar for the Sabres game last night and I hit my limit of discussing this draft. I hope the Bills never pick in the Top 5 again, it's just too much! :thumbsup:

Doesn't matter where they pick. It would be the same headache. We would just be talking about players who are not considered "elite." coming out of college. The draft is the same

on the message boards every year. Some will be overjoyed on April 29th. The other half will be ready to jump off the ledge. It is what it is. LoL

"

Today I like Dareus. Yesterday I liked Fairley. The day before I liked Miller.

Is Newton a fig leaf or does he have gravitas? Does Bowers fit as a 3-4 DE? Is Quinn the best of them all?

It was much easier with Jauron--I'm sure we'd pick Peterson. My head hurts. :wallbash:

Can be but you just have to lock in what we need and what's there and this makes Dareus or Quinn are our choices. But I would be happy with Gabbert, Watt, Kerrigan, Peterson, Jones , Green , Fairly , Jordan basically anyone but Newton or Bowers. :devil:

I know, I'm getting a headache reading all of this stuff and trying to determine who is best. It would be much easier if we were picking 32nd! :thumbsup:

Would it? it would better since winning the SB but there are hundred option there too ;)

No single elite player and the bunching of DT/DEs in this year's crop of collegiate talent has muddled the pecking order a bit.

I'm not saying they 'can't go wrong' with whomever they pick at #3, but rest assured, whomever they do pick, he'll be hearing from all over that he's considered a reach.

It'll happen, just like the replaying of, "Holding, #72 - Offense. Ten yard penalty. Repeat the down." that I can dial up in my noggin anytime.

I'm more comfortable with Gabbert than Newton at this point, and if one of them is THE guy, then Buddy's got to take him and hope the hell we don't draft in the top 10 for the next thirty years.

Edited by Nanker

...would you take Cam Newton?

Looks like analysts are all projecting him to fall to the second round now.

I've been projecting the same thing for weeks now. The answer is still no - avoid Kim Newton like the plague, which he will closely resemble on whichever team is dumb enough to draft him.

Just stop. He's not a 2nd rounder.

While I agree that Cam won't make it to the second round, this is a hypothetical question and my answer to that is a resounding YES! I hate Cam in the first, but love him in the second. No doubt. He then becomes a low risk-high reward player.

With the first round pick the Bills hopefully will select DT Dareus or OLB Miller.....

With the 2nd round pick hopefully the Bills will select QB Ponder or the Best athlete available at any position.

We all know they need TALENT... Just start picking it Buddy. We do not have a top 100 Player on the Team... Lets start getting them and get us into the playoffs..... dem are me thoughts.....lol

I am not sold on either of the top 2 QB canidates for the 3rd over all pick..... Maybe if we trade down I will reconsider, but only then... I just want a good draft with all 8 picks... any arguments???

Just stop. He's not a 2nd rounder.

realistically he is easily a second rounder, talent wise. but his hype and raw ability will cause some owners to fall in love.

yes he'd be a hell of a TE

every time i hear this i want to freak out. the simplest argument anyone can make is that do you really think a guy with cam newton's ego is going to switch from the most celebrated position on the field to one of the least? do you honestly think he can pass protect?

realistically he is easily a second rounder, talent wise. but his hype and raw ability will cause some owners to fall in love.

every time i hear this i want to freak out. the simplest argument anyone can make is that do you really think a guy with cam newton's ego is going to switch from the most celebrated position on the field to one of the least? do you honestly think he can pass protect?

I Kid, I Kid