George Wilson re-signs w/Buffalo

MattyT

Jeebus we did the right thing? Good job Bills! Delighted to read his twitting (ty) and very pleased he is staying with us. His response was as much as we could hope because i think we know he means it. But the addition of Donte's congrats was an extra surprise. Very mature for a change. All seems hopeful right now.

THANK THE LORD

The Bills resigned their best Safety today. Now I can only hope Whitner is not here next year so that it guarantees Wilson is starting. This move more than anything else indicates to me that there may be some intelligence in the Bills FO. Its about freaking time that the Bills make a smart decision.

Now draft some monster Lineman!

Yeahhh, now we can start two free safeties. I know you love him more than any other player, but he is not a strong safety.

I like him too as a backup however. Never thought I'd say this, but Bob Sanders would be perfect now. I'd have no problem with Wilson having to come into SS, but to leave the position open is another case of 'the Bills thinking they're smarter' then everyone else. Dammit, I really like Wilson too...

Something tells me I'll be the only one who feels this way. C'est la vie.

Edited by stony

Yeahhh, now we can start two free safeties. I know you love him more than any other player, but he is not a strong safety.

I like him too as a backup however. Never thought I'd say this, but Bob Sanders would be perfect now. I'd have no problem with Wilson having to come into SS, but to leave the position open is another case of 'the Bills thinking they're smarter' then everyone else. Dammit, I really like Wilson too...

Something tells me I'll be the only one who feels this way. C'est la vie.

Regardless of whatever else happens. We re-signed one of our best free agents. At worst he's a quality backup who's well respected by his teammates, his coaches and his fans. Fortunately the front office as well.

Not everything is worth being pessimistic about. This is a good move.

Regardless of whatever else happens. We re-signed one of our best free agents. At worst he's a quality backup who's well respected by his teammates, his coaches and his fans. Fortunately the front office as well.

Not everything is worth being pessimistic about. This is a good move.

Not being pessimistic, just replying to another posters love of a player.

As for him being one of out best FAs, Poz and Whitner are more integral to the team IMO. As you point out, he's probably a backup. Love the signing, though!

Great signing and he is so much better than Whitner. If we keep signing high end talent like Wilson a championship will soon follow.

sarcasm?

Depth.

As the Buffalo Bills well know we have dipped into our seconds and thirds on off and Def these last couple years. The offensive line stands out more recently.

George can do lots of things for us and is value all around. A starting game changing stat chasing, fear mongering safety? not exactly. But a good Buffalo Bill signing. Heck yes. Although if Sanders could just line up to scare them once in awhile. And Whither sticks around for a realistic price wouldnt that be some depth?

Excellent move. George Wilson is a favorite of mine & I was really hoping they wouldn't let him walk, like they did with Coy Wire. Wilson has come a long way considering he started out as a 7th string receiver.

Whitner's return looking less & less likely...

Good move signing Wilson.

Whitner was also tendered.

sarcasm?

Depth.

As the Buffalo Bills well know we have dipped into our seconds and thirds on off and Def these last couple years. The offensive line stands out more recently.

George can do lots of things for us and is value all around. A starting game changing stat chasing, fear mongering safety? not exactly. But a good Buffalo Bill signing. Heck yes. Although if Sanders could just line up to scare them once in awhile. And Whither sticks around for a realistic price wouldnt that be some depth?

I agree that he's a nice signing for depth purposes. He's a high character guy that is respected in the locker room. And he added a special team prowess to his repertoire. In saying that, none of these things get me very excited. Wilson took a huge step back from his 2009 campaign as a safety, which should be the measuring stick when talking about the level of excitement. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have him than loose him for all the reasons I mentioned. But this team needs to get better in several areas, one of them is safety, and this signing did little to address that.

Excellent move. George Wilson is a favorite of mine & I was really hoping they wouldn't let him walk, like they did with Coy Wire. Wilson has come a long way considering he started out as a 7th string receiver.

Whitner's return looking less & less likely...

:unsure:

Wire really wasn't that good and has been playing backup linebacker/special teams for the falcons ever since.

Great signing, and this improves our depth. Wilson is also a nice spot-starter if necessary. Now let's wither re-sign Whinter or get a good SS in here to start alongside Byrd/Wilson.

I think this opens up the posibility that the Bills could have Wilson play FS and Byrd play SS. I know it seems a little crazy given Byrd's scouting report and the fact that he was such a ballhawk his first year, but given his increasing ability to crash the box, and strip ball carriers, I think Byrd could play SS. Of course I think the Bills would be much better off getting Whitner back at a decent price, but if Whitner walks, I'd rather see the Bills use Byrd and Wilson as the tandem and put FA money into a TE, RT, DL, or LB. Especially over a suspect Safety like Sanders who might never see the field.

Edited by DC Grid

I think this moves opens up the posibility that the Bills have Wilson play FS and Byrd play SS. I know it seems a little crazy given Byrd's scouting report and the fact that he was such a ballhawk last year, but given his increasing ability to crash the box, and strip ball carriers, I think Byrd could play SS. Of course I think the Bills would be much better off getting Whitner back at a decent rate, but if Whitner walks, I might rather see the Bills use Byrd and Wilson as the tandem and put FA money into a TE, RT, DL, or LB.

Byrd played much of 2010 out of position, and has severe tackling issues. I think and hope he can get better, but the kid did not play well in 2010. Him and Wilson are both suited to play FS, and i cringe at the thought of either one of them having to play SS all season long. Whitner or a FA can start along side 1 of those 2, but neither one of them can come up and play a significant role in stopping the run.

Yeah, Byrd made a play or 2, but overall he did not have a good season.

They (coaches) very definitely had Byrd step up his anti run skills, keeping his tackling in front of him. It seemed to me that the Bills coaching had him develop to be more of an all around potential line up at SS now and again, and he struggled with some new roles and resposibilities. But that said he will become a better player for us this year and maybe fill the SS shoes as was suggested by DC. Not the first time i have read this idea.

Triple threat, i have to agree with your whole most recent statement and you are painfully correct in your last sentence. But maybe this is not the end of our solution at safeties just yet. If it is lets hope we strengthen our front seven and make the DBs look better and their lives a bit easier than last year.

But heck i think we even need another corner. I am very unsure about what Mcgee will/can do. and McKelvin struggled too. We are in a tough situation right now on defense.