Paea blows away lift record at combine

BeastMode54

North Carolina DT Marvin Austin bench pressed 225 pounds a whopping 38 times at the NFL Combine Sunday.

Draftniks worried Austin might not take training seriously while sitting out all of last year, but he's having a terrific offseason. The 6-foot-2, 312-pound nose tackle prospect also dominated at the East-West Shrine. Austin's physical tools, at least, are worthy of serious first-round consideration.

per rotoworld. he could be a monster. I love Sturdivant as well

I like all of these Tar Heels, especially the suspended kids. Quinn, Austin, Kendric Burney(CB)and the WR (cant remember his name) are all going to fall way later than they would have if they played. I would be happy with Quinn, Austin, and Burney as our rounds 1-3 honestly. I think those would all be high quality players, with great value.

Paea is an absolute beast...I wouldn't mind taking him with the 2nd pick...though he's undersized for a NT, he's stronger than most players that are 330-350...that being said, paea is probably better suited for the 4-3.

to the other posters..i'm big on the NC players as well..lets also not overlook Bruce Carter..you don't hear much about him in the draft..had a great season before being suspended..could be a steal if he drops to 3rd round.

I like all of these Tar Heels, especially the suspended kids. Quinn, Austin, Kendric Burney(CB)and the WR (cant remember his name) are all going to fall way later than they would have if they played. I would be happy with Quinn, Austin, and Burney as our rounds 1-3 honestly. I think those would all be high quality players, with great value.

That'd take care of the D, right there. Austin and Burney would make Poz, Batten/Davis and Quinn look mighty good.

Maybe in RD4 you go TE and RT. How about TE Weslye Saunders falling to here because of the broken bone in his foot aggravated at combine? Like his size and he made some sick catches. Then maybe RT David Mims. Massive, strong, long arms/legs, small school but dominated there. Might be a little early but I see him as a tackle prospect, not a guy who'd have to slide inside.

Stephen Paea broke the combine record with 49 reps on the bench press at 225 lbs. Granted he weights 295 lbs so thats not even his body weight, but still, that is freaking diesel. I weigh 218 lbs and am fairly strong(I can bench 275-280 lbs 8-10 times), so equivalently that would be 166 pounds for me to bench. 225 lbs is a pretty standard weight(its 4 45lb plates and an olympic bar), so have used that weight pretty often. I have done 14-15 reps at that weight, but I was interested in seeing what I could do at an equivalent weight for how much I weigh, since strength is largely based on how much you weigh(ie its more impressive for 160 lb dude to put up 185 lbs than it is for a 250 lb guy to put up 225 lbs).

Anyways,I was at the gym tonite with a friend when he got a text from a buddy saying that Paea had done 49 reps. We decided to see how many we could do of an equivalent weight for fun, since we were both doing chest/triceps today anyways. He got his handy calculator up on his smartphone and we calculated 166 for me(OK 165 since there was no 1 lb weights, but we added on 2 sets of collars to make up the difference :P) I repped out 26 times and he then had to almost pull the bar off my chest. He weighs 190 lbs, so he did 145 lbs 18 1/2 times(I had to help quite a bit with the final rep).

Paea did almost twice the number of reps as me and I think of myself as being fairly strong, but compared to him I am a girlie-man. That dude is a freaking beast. I am sitting here typing this and my pecs feel like they are on fire, and I cannot imagine how bad it will be tomorrow and especially Tuesday. I doubt if I will be able to lift my arms tomorrow at work. I have no idea how good this dude will be as an NFL player, but I damn sure know he is freaking strong as hell and I gotta give him some major props. I cannot even fathom doing that many reps and after watching his video he isn't even tired when he hits 30....crazy...

North Carolina DT Marvin Austin bench pressed 225 pounds a whopping 38 times at the NFL Combine Sunday.

Draftniks worried Austin might not take training seriously while sitting out all of last year, but he's having a terrific offseason. The 6-foot-2, 312-pound nose tackle prospect also dominated at the East-West Shrine. Austin's physical tools, at least, are worthy of serious first-round consideration.

per rotoworld. he could be a monster. I love Sturdivant as well

is this about Paea or Austin?

If Paea is there in the second he would be a steal, has first round talent and dominated opponents but has been dinged up so maybe he falls to us. :)

As I recall, Larsen did 45 reps at the combine and maybe 50/51 once in college... Then became a boxer after failing with the Bills.

How'd the boxing go?