Bills meet w/ Kaepernick

judman

none of the spectacle

none of the headaches

lesser cost up front, lesser gamble, similar upside.

If he was that good, we wouldn't be talking about picking him in the 2nd-4th rounds. We are talking about the QB position. We want a star or we don't want you. We already have a capable QB, we don't need another. We need a superstar. My estimations don't mean much, but I'd give kaepernick a 5-10% chance of being a superstar. I'd rather have a contributor rather than a 5-10% chance guy. I'm sure many of you think cam has the same success chance, but in response to a "poor mans cam newton", the poster definitely thinks cam has a better chance. Drafting a QB isn't the same as drafting any other position. Star or bust. 1st round QBs, see the other thread on tsw, have a MUCH higher success rate. Qbs drafted later are bust city.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So in addition to having a big arm and great scrambling ability, he's from one of the coldest climates in the country (prior to moving to Cali) and he's smart. What's not to like about this kid?

This is the first QB prospect in this year's draft that I've really gotten excited about....would love to see us draft him.

If he was that good, we wouldn't be talking about picking him in the 2nd-4th rounds. We are talking about the QB position. We want a star or we don't want you. We already have a capable QB, we don't need another. We need a superstar. My estimations don't mean much, but I'd give kaepernick a 5-10% chance of being a superstar. I'd rather have a contributor rather than a 5-10% chance guy. I'm sure many of you think cam has the same success chance, but in response to a "poor mans cam newton", the poster definitely thinks cam has a better chance. Drafting a QB isn't the same as drafting any other position. Star or bust. 1st round QBs, see the other thread on tsw, have a MUCH higher success rate. Qbs drafted later are bust city.

I would say that they both have the same boom/bust potential. I would rather spend a 2-4 to gamble than gamble with the 3rd pick overall.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

He's considered a 2nd-4th rounder because he played in a weak conference and he's still pretty raw in terms of mechanics and throwing motion. He needs a good amount of work but he has a ton of upside. If he played in a better conference he'd be talked about in the 1st round for sure.

He's considered a 2nd-4th rounder because he played in a weak conference and he's still pretty raw in terms of mechanics and throwing motion. He needs a good amount of work but he has a ton of upside. If he played in a better conference he'd be talked about in the 1st round for sure.

And, Ben Roethlisberger played in the MAC.

Kaepernick is a projection in the NFL because he played 100% out of the pistol offense.

Why would you want to draft "poor mans cam newton" when you can draft the real thing? Doesnt make any sense.

Because he would be a cancer to this team. Newton would be drafted in the 1st round and many would want him to start immediately. The problem with that is that you have a guy who all ready has earned the respect of his coaches, team mates and who has proved himself a capable leader. How do you think the guys on the the offensive line are going to react to poster boy, super rookie when they all have a guy that battled and earned his colors with them last year? This is a team sport and an individual's physical skills alone are not going to take us to the next level.

none of the spectacle

none of the headaches

lesser cost up front, lesser gamble, similar upside.

Actually there is a far greater chance of Kaepernick busting than Newton. Kaepernick played in a weaker conference against worse competition. He played in a spread (same as Cam) so he will have to learn a pro style offense (unless Chan adopts elements of the spread which I think he will) . He has mechanical flaws that will have to be fixed (newton doesn't) . And his ceiling is not as high as Cam's either.

With a new rookie cap the cost won't be that substantial compared to years past either.

Pass.

Is anyone else concerned that he looks kind of skinny?

Yes, his thinness stood out when I watched him at Nevada. Hopefully he can grow into his body and doesn't have thin bones.

He's a lanky boy, no doubt.

His body reminds me of Matt Schaub's and like Schaub he has the big arm.

Schaub did add some weight in the years since being a 3rd rounder in 2004 out of Virginia where he set 22 school records.

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone is projecting Kaepernick as a first rounder. He seems like a round 2-3 type prospect to me.

Despite what the historical records show, again there are always exceptions to a rule and I like several of this years QBs as day two picks.

Because he would be a cancer to this team. Newton would be drafted in the 1st round and many would want him to start immediately. The problem with that is that you have a guy who all ready has earned the respect of his coaches, team mates and who has proved himself a capable leader. How do you think the guys on the the offensive line are going to react to poster boy, super rookie when they all have a guy that battled and earned his colors with them last year? This is a team sport and an individual's physical skills alone are not going to take us to the next level.

Gailey has already said Fitz is our guy in 2011. I see that as both confidence in Fitz, but also a sly way of saying "while we groom a rookie QB for 2012".

While the players like Fitz, they are professionals. And ALL have dealt with QB changes before. Im pretty sure that some of these guys you worry about have already seen JP replaced by Trent and Trent replaced by JP.

They dont really care. And if they do, they shut up and do their job because they are pros.

Worrying about what it will do to the locker room is one of the worst arguments Ive heard against drafting a QB this entire offseason.

Besides, Fitz only has 1 more year under contract anyways. They better get ready for a change.

And no one is going to get upset if he isnt starting right away. Anyone who cant see the obvious virtue in taking advantage of the opportunity to sit and learn the pro game, doesnt need to be around football.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Actually there is a far greater chance of Kaepernick busting than Newton. Kaepernick played in a weaker conference against worse competition. He played in a spread (same as Cam) so he will have to learn a pro style offense (unless Chan adopts elements of the spread which I think he will) . He has mechanical flaws that will have to be fixed (newton doesn't) . And his ceiling is not as high as Cam's either.

With a new rookie cap the cost won't be that substantial compared to years past either.

Pass.

A Kaepernick gamble worth it in the 3rd round. Medium risk/Very high reward

A Newton gamble with #3 overall....and it IS a gamble especially when a Fairley/Bowers/Dareus is passed over....is maximum risk/max reward.

Newton is a big gamble. Too big for this franchise given the state its in.

One risk with Cam Newton is the meddling father. I could see this guy not being psyched about the Bills.

Do you remember hearing about Archie Manning demanding that Eli be traded to a bigger market/different team because he didn't think the Chargers were good enough or something like that?

A Newton gamble with #3 overall....and it IS a gamble especially when a Fairley/Bowers/Dareus is passed over....is maximum risk/max reward.

Newton is a big gamble. Too big for this franchise given the state its in.

As a fan I have to support getting someone to help the front seven. The Bills defense has been a sieve: in 2010 #1 in the NFL in rushing allowed, #5 points allowed, #9 in total yards allowed.

per buffalorumblings.com

I think this kid will do well, whether that is here in Buffalo, or somewhere else. I have heard all the talk about the throwing motion, etc. But... I have watched him play for two years now, I have no reason to change my mind. He is good. I would be happy with this guy.

Couldn't agree more but what is this crap about bad mechanics in the QB article, Watched him today and the Kid was accurate and throws like Vick and I don't hear whining about his arm. He has a rocket arm with great talent and production. What else do ya need?

What's with all the 'tats, man?

I mean, you're a freakin' QB, not a D-lineman or linebacker!

Looks ridiculous. :thumbdown:

So? Can he play is what matters.

Reading all of Gaileys/Nix comments at the Combine, and going back to their other comments, and knowing Gailey to like runners, I think Kaepernick is a guy they like and will try to add.

0:)

Yeah the guys was pretty slim at the Senior Bowl. Apparently he put on 8 pounds of muscle when he weighed in at the combine. His mechanics and throwing motion are pretty bad. He ran the spread at Nevada. He's got a huge arm and he's fast. He's a big time project. However, he's a very smart kid. He may not last until the 3rd round with so many teams needing a QB.

You know who had terrible mechanics and a rocket arm?? Brett Favrarraraa.....just sayin.

I like this kid, I watched a lot of their games because I am a degenerate gambler and he was always making something out of nothing. he didn't have great talent around him but always got the job done. If he can add some weight he may be a guy they take a flier on in the 2nd. I doubt if he's there in the 3rd but you never know.