Tony's one and only 2011 Buffalo Bills Mock Draft

tonyjustbcuz

B U F F A L O B I L L S M O C K D R A F T 2011 B U F F A L O B I L L S M O C K D R A F T

** My Mock is includes a Trade-down of our 1st round #3 selection to the S.Fran 49'ers. Buffalo receives the 49'ers 1st round #7 selection, 2nd round #45 selection, and a 2012 3rd round selection.**

Round #1 Selection #7 VON MILLER OLB TEXAS

alternate: (Marcell Dareus DT Alabama)

Round #2 #34 SAM ACHO DE TEXAS

alternate: (Stephen Paea DT Oregon St.)

Round #2(From 49'ers)#45 RICKY STANZI QB IOWA

alternate: (Colin Kaepernick QB Nevada)

Round #3 PHIL TAYLOR DT BAYLOR

alternate: (Jerrel Jernigan WR Troy)

Round #4 CASEY MATTHEWS ILB OREGON

alternate: (Tyler Sash CB Iowa)

Round #4 (From Seattle LUKE STOCKER TE TENNESEE

for M.Lynch) alternate: (Delone Carter RB Syracuse)

Round #5 BYRON BELL OLT/OLG N.MEXICO

alternate: (Stefen Wisniewski C Penn State)

Round #6 CEDRICK THORNTON DT Southern Arkansas

alternate: (Jake Kirkpatrick C TCU)

Round #7 LEE SMITH TE/OT MARSHALL

alternate: Josh Thomas CB Buffalo

So what are your thoughts? I know opinions will vary drastically, and you may have different ideas..and that's why I would love to hear them. Although limited in resources, I've looked at a lot of video online, game highlights, your average user mocks, the so-called experts mocks and analysis, and this is what I've initially come up with for a Bills Mock. I know I will be doing some tweaking, and probably making some changes dependent on many factors ie: the combine, updates on Bills players current roster..Shawn Merriman, Signings ie: Pozluszny, possible releases ie: Maybin? Whitner etc...Sensing a change in the Bills draft philosophy or hints from comments Nix or Gailey give in press conferences (but may be worth a grain of salt and purposely misleading)..etc...

Now, if you still are with me...there is a reason for each player selected in my mock and that reason varies from Great Stats to a Great motor and high character guy. Some picks are also given more favor due to NFL Blood lines etc...So here is a brief description of just a few of the reasons I selected who I did:

1st round I selected Von Miller, because I really like EVERYTHING I did up on him and he is a player that should make a impact from game 1 IMO...I have grown to really appreciate Marcell Dareus over the past two weeks as he was not a player that I wanted to take a chance on initially, but he as well as Miller both seem like safe, impact players if there is such a thing! I think taking either one at #3 is a slight reach as I would slightly prefer Fairley, which is a slight risk, but high reward player who I think will probably be a future hall of famer.

I don't think Fairley will be there at #3, and I do like Bowers as well. I think that San Fran wants a QB even though they botched up by selecting Alex Smith. I think the 49'ers or possibly Cleveland, or Arizona may all strongly consider trading up in the top 3 to select a player they covet.

2nd round..From what I understand the Bills really like Sam Acho and he performed superbly in the Senior Bowl.

I believe the Bills will covet this outstanding DE as they have a need and should be in the positon to draft Acho.

I don't think that it will hurt that Acho was a teammate of Von Miller as well. I think this may be my most likely pick as let's face it this is a crapshoot! I like Stephen Paea here, but not nearly as much as Acho.

2nd round..I really like the trade down as this is an opportunity to take a QB who played in a Pro Style offense. I think that is important to some extent and probably lessens the learning curve transistion that many college QB's will have to make. Ricky Stanzi has outstanding stat's at IOWA and seems to be flying a bit under the radar! I also like Colin Kaepernick of Nevada as well, but I like Stanzi better! Everything I see on Stanzi makes me think he's a no-brainer if we're in that positon, and don't select a QB in the first round!

3rd round.. Phil Taylor...well I'm not completely sold on him yet, but he was the next best DT on my list. I still need to research him a little more. It may have been his size that caught my interest at over 330 lbs and that he really takes up space! I remember Nix saying something about size being an important factor in this draft? So maybe that's whats in the back of his mind! Jerrel Jernigan WR Troy just seems like a nice fit and the Bills seem to like drafting players from Troy recently. It's also good to get a WR that is used to playing in the cold and windy conditions of Buffalo.

4th round.. Casey Matthews has great NFL bloodlines as we already know..and the recent addittion of his brother has not dispelled this trait. Casey has a high motor and is productive, but may never reach the stature of Clay. He may be a little undersized as well, but with his high motor, and good pedigree he's worth taking a chance on!

Tyler Sash just seems like such a good character, and has good talent as well...I know the Bills are always high on selecting CB's in the draft, so after fulfilling some more pressing needs this is a good spot to consider a CB.

4th round...the M. Lynch trade pick! This is one that would feel great if we hit on especially!! I really like Luke Stocker and it would be great to find that TE that is both productive in the passing game while still having the ability to block as needed. Delone Carter being from Syracuse did influence my pick some, but I think the 4th round is a pretty nice spot to further build on our receiving corps without sacrificing to properly address our dire needs at defense first.

5th round...Byron Bell is a good read..I really thought a lot of him after learning a bit about him. I like that he is versatile and he may end up projecting to a ORT at some point. Lord knows that ORT was a mess last year, and we need to continue to solidify the positon in both the draft and freeagency. Stefen Wisniewski influenced my pick mostly because of his NFL Bloodlines, but nothing wrong with grabbing another Center. I also like that he played in a cold weather climate as a Penn State player. Some people have him projected much higher, but I think he was an underperformer with potential who will slide in this draft.

6th round..Cedrick Thornton DT Southern Arkansas was an outstanding DT at this level. I would like him higher in the draft if he would have performed against tougher competition, but he dominated at his level and that's all you can ask of a player. Jake Kirkpatrick is a big body that performed his duties well at TCU.

7th round..Lee Smith is a smart player with good character, but the attractive thing about this tight end is that he is a big guy that could become a future OT ie: Jason Peters project...Definitely worth a shot in the 7th round if he's still there. Josh Thomas honestly is a feel good pick in the mode of other Buffalo Bulls that have been recently selected in the NFL or brought in through Free agency. If we don't select him in the draft I'd like to see the Bills try him out as a freeagent.

So, That's about it...It amazes me that one pick by another team or a trade can influence another teams draft by

such a degree. It is amazing also when you select one pick how it can alter ever succeeding pick you have as well. I am amazed by the degree of knowledge of the players each NFL Team's war room really needs to have to do an adequate job of drafting! I still have a lot of research to do and feel like I've only grasped the tip of the iceberg, and I don't have the luxury of watching the draftees workout, or interview them. I really can't wait to the draft and look forward to sitting in my Bills War room analyzing my countless lists, graphs, and charts, and second guessing the experts! I am not an expert, but I do know for sure that we would have: H. Hgnata, B. Orakapo,

(yeah..Jimmy Claussen..I goofed!), and Clay Matthews on our Roster right now if they would've just read my rather

long Mock in past years!!! And we wouldn't have Aaron Maybin which is addittion by subtraction!!!

ricky stanzi in the second round? YIKES

Yea - stanzi is prob 4-5.... 3rd with a great combine/proday

Taylor will be unlucky if he doesn't have a team at the end of rd 1

Stocker will go higher unless a surprise comes out.

Matthews will likely sneak into 3 based on some GM needing goodwill and using his name on the fan base.

Miller and acho aren't teammates (miller was at A&M) - they also likely play the same position in our defense. I don't love miller but that's just me.

I like what you are targeting but I think the evaluations are a little out of order based on where people sit today. Who knows- in a month I might be eating crow.

Edited by NoSaint

ricky stanzi in the second round? YIKES

Like I mentioned in the mock..He's not talked about as much as Christian Ponder, Mallet, Locker, Newton, Gabbert etc..but Pro Football Weekly actually has him projected as their 3rd best QB behind Gabbert and Locker. They have him projected between the 2 to 3 rd round. His stats are very impressive and he plays in a Pro Style offense which is a definite plus.

He's 6'4 1/2, 221 lbs,..Ricky is a 3 yr starter at QB and his stats improved each year... in 2010

started all 13 games just like the season before.. completed 221 passes had 345 attempts 64.1% comp rate

3,004 yds 25 TD's and 6 INT

Pro Football Weekly states the way they see it... A Pro-Style passer in a similar mold as Matt Schaub with a good frame for the position. Stanzi possesses the requisite leadership traits, toughness, and arm strength to develop into a solid NFL Starter with continued development.

I like the fact that he plays in bad weather in IOWA, That he plays in a pro style offense, that he is a 3 year starter that has improved each year, and that he has strong leadership traits and has the arm strenth to handle the

elements at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Andrew Luck was the only QB in this draft that I am completely sold on! I think both Newton and Gabbert our fun, popular picks that everyone is projecting high now, and that they will probably even move up the draft boards further until they are #1 and #2-5 range, but I think they are overhyped and that both have a lot to learn at the next level and will not walk in the door and become the next Peyton Manning.

I can't say that Ricky Stanzi will neither, I just like what I see on a few video clips, team sites, and NFL Draft Guide magazines like Pro Football Weekly, Athlons, and The Sporting News.

Well if nothing else hopefully I answered your question mark satisfactorily. I'm not trying to change your opinion, but then again besides second guessing my opinion which all a mock really is I'd like to know who you would take at QB if you did? Where in the draft you would select him? and Why you would select him...Thanks for your reply!

Like I mentioned in the mock..He's not talked about as much as Christian Ponder, Mallet, Locker, Newton, Gabbert etc..but Pro Football Weekly actually has him projected as their 3rd best QB behind Gabbert and Locker. They have him projected between the 2 to 3 rd round. His stats are very impressive and he plays in a Pro Style offense which is a definite plus.

He's 6'4 1/2, 221 lbs,..Ricky is a 3 yr starter at QB and his stats improved each year... in 2010

started all 13 games just like the season before.. completed 221 passes had 345 attempts 64.1% comp rate

3,004 yds 25 TD's and 6 INT

Pro Football Weekly states the way they see it... A Pro-Style passer in a similar mold as Matt Schaub with a good frame for the position. Stanzi possesses the requisite leadership traits, toughness, and arm strength to develop into a solid NFL Starter with continued development.

I like the fact that he plays in bad weather in IOWA, That he plays in a pro style offense, that he is a 3 year starter that has improved each year, and that he has strong leadership traits and has the arm strenth to handle the

elements at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Andrew Luck was the only QB in this draft that I am completely sold on! I think both Newton and Gabbert our fun, popular picks that everyone is projecting high now, and that they will probably even move up the draft boards further until they are #1 and #2-5 range, but I think they are overhyped and that both have a lot to learn at the next level and will not walk in the door and become the next Peyton Manning.

I can't say that Ricky Stanzi will neither, I just like what I see on a few video clips, team sites, and NFL Draft Guide magazines like Pro Football Weekly, Athlons, and The Sporting News.

Well if nothing else hopefully I answered your question mark satisfactorily. I'm not trying to change your opinion, but then again besides second guessing my opinion which all a mock really is I'd like to know who you would take at QB if you did? Where in the draft you would select him? and Why you would select him...Thanks for your reply!

I like it alot. you addressed everything we need to start the transition. I agree that stanzi is a reach unless all the other qbs are gone by then. I like miller at the 7 pick and chan really liked him in the senior bowl. I would take an offensive lineman with the 1st 2nd rounder and then go for the defensive lineman with the 2nd second rounder and 3rd. hopefully buddy will be smart and has a new england type draft so this team can build from the draft and compete at a high level every year. it has worked for new england for how many years so why not try it. go bills

Yea - stanzi is prob 4-5.... 3rd with a great combine/proday

Taylor will be unlucky if he doesn't have a team at the end of rd 1

Stocker will go higher unless a surprise comes out.

Matthews will likely sneak into 3 based on some GM needing goodwill and using his name on the fan base.

Miller and acho aren't teammates (miller was at A&M) - they also likely play the same position in our defense. I don't love miller but that's just me.

I like what you are targeting but I think the evaluations are a little out of order based on where people sit today. Who knows- in a month I might be eating crow.

Well..yeah well I'll have to fix that teammate issue after filling up on a little crow myself..lol..Yeah..I know Taylor may go earlier...but from what I read he's more about size than past performance and I could see a slide..but yeah, maybe not that far...too me that's where I'd take'em, but that's me...

Yeah, I kind of thought the same about Matthews going higher because of his last name more than anything else..I guess again..I'm looking more at the value to where I'd pick them..vice the reality of where they may get choosen..

It's definitely harder than I thought...especially not fully depending on Mel Kiper and all the other experts and trying to form an opinion of your own.

I guess it just seems so robotic on some of the mock draft sites that users make their mocks..it's like they all become carbons of each other and convince each other that generally this is where the players are slotted, but if I've learned one thing about the Bills...they kind of waiver from the popular rankings and take a different path sometimes..(unfortunately it hasn't panned out well)...

I've been convinced about the things I've read on Miller as well that he would be a good choice...I wasn't inclined to select him until I read too much!...lol..It's hard being so many college teams and even with effort keeping up on each and every player.

Well it's late so I will further tweak and adjust my mock at another time...I will fix the teammate issue as I never thought of it when I typed out Texas and Texas...I just pooped on that one! Well too me it would be a much funner draft if we stayed at #3 and were able to get Nick Fairley, D. Bowers, or Cam Newton...but I'm scared as heck to select Newton..

Thanks for your reply!

I like it alot. you addressed everything we need to start the transition. I agree that stanzi is a reach unless all the other qbs are gone by then. I like miller at the 7 pick and chan really liked him in the senior bowl. I would take an offensive lineman with the 1st 2nd rounder and then go for the defensive lineman with the 2nd second rounder and 3rd. hopefully buddy will be smart and has a new england type draft so this team can build from the draft and compete at a high level every year. it has worked for new england for how many years so why not try it. go bills

Thanks, I appreciate your positive feedback! Sometimes it's hard putting yourself out there in front of the chopping block and hoping that what you say makes sense to at least someone! Thanks for your reply!!

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

Well..yeah well I'll have to fix that teammate issue after filling up on a little crow myself..lol..Yeah..I know Taylor may go earlier...but from what I read he's more about size than past performance and I could see a slide..but yeah, maybe not that far...too me that's where I'd take'em, but that's me...

Yeah, I kind of thought the same about Matthews going higher because of his last name more than anything else..I guess again..I'm looking more at the value to where I'd pick them..vice the reality of where they may get choosen..

It's definitely harder than I thought...especially not fully depending on Mel Kiper and all the other experts and trying to form an opinion of your own.

I guess it just seems so robotic on some of the mock draft sites that users make their mocks..it's like they all become carbons of each other and convince each other that generally this is where the players are slotted, but if I've learned one thing about the Bills...they kind of waiver from the popular rankings and take a different path sometimes..(unfortunately it hasn't panned out well)...

I've been convinced about the things I've read on Miller as well that he would be a good choice...I wasn't inclined to select him until I read too much!...lol..It's hard being so many college teams and even with effort keeping up on each and every player.

Well it's late so I will further tweak and adjust my mock at another time...I will fix the teammate issue as I never thought of it when I typed out Texas and Texas...I just pooped on that one! Well too me it would be a much funner draft if we stayed at #3 and were able to get Nick Fairley, D. Bowers, or Cam Newton...but I'm scared as heck to select Newton..

Thanks for your reply!

No prob - and definitely don't take it as a condescending reply or anything. Like I've said a lot around here, there's still a lot of time. Guys will move. Anyone who thinks a guy is a lock based on kipers grade at this point is sorely mistaken. Just getting the requisite feedback out there that I think you will face. I wouldn't totally dismiss the talking heads though. After the combine I think you will see them get pretty close to square with how gms feel. Obviously with some exceptions ala Jimmy clausen. They might not hit every or even many picks but they tend not to be off by rounds very often for the first 3-4 rounds. After that it's a crapshoot.

Thanks for your reply!

No prob - and definitely don't take it as a condescending reply or anything. Like I've said a lot around here, there's still a lot of time. Guys will move. Anyone who thinks a guy is a lock based on kipers grade at this point is sorely mistaken. Just getting the requisite feedback out there that I think you will face. I wouldn't totally dismiss the talking heads though. After the combine I think you will see them get pretty close to square with how gms feel. Obviously with some exceptions ala Jimmy clausen. They might not hit every or even many picks but they tend not to be off by rounds very often for the first 3-4 rounds. After that it's a crapshoot.

Good stuff Tony - I read on NFL Draft Scout that Jim Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert to Stanford and actually liked him better than Luck, so the 49ers could very well want to trade up for the chance to draft him. Getting the extra early 2nd round pick and SF's 3rd-rounder in 2012 would be fantastic - just don't know that Miller will still be there at #7 but, if it did work our that way, I couldn't imagine a better first-round scenario.

Not sold on Stanzi, but like a lot of your other selections very much. Am anxious for April 28th to arrive...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Good stuff Tony - I read on NFL Draft Scout that Jim Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert to Stanford and actually liked him better than Luck, so the 49ers could very well want to trade up for the chance to draft him. Getting the extra early 2nd round pick and SF's 3rd-rounder in 2012 would be fantastic - just don't know that Miller will still be there at #7 but, if it did work our that way, I couldn't imagine a better first-round scenario.

Not sold on Stanzi, but like a lot of your other selections very much. Am anxious for April 28th to arrive...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Thanks! I have to admit that I'm not pulling for us to select B. Gabbert I would quickly be excited at his potential having the physical tools and unrefined skillset that could make him develop into the next who knows? But, he does have a lot of upside!

I guess when you are picking high in the first round you wish there was that Peyton Manning (almost can't miss QB)...With each QB in this draft class there is some unknown. I guess that is why they have the Scouting Combine. I guess more is known of Cam Newton probably by the typical sports fan than any other QB. That being said, there has to be some concern about his past indiscretions. In the Navy, one thing that never did sit well with us sailors was a thief! I know that allegedly they say that Cam Newton may have stole a computer (and that worries me)..and I don't know the entire story...but I know that shows a lack of moral character if true, and hopefully it's not...I know young people make mistakes, but combined with his dad's questionable dealings, and one or two other alledged items and I see a "Caution Flag", at the very least. I just could never envision Peyton Manning ever having those type of character concerns, as he is already a future Hall of Famer and has an impeccable career.

That is why I put as much weight on Moral Character as talent, and weigh-in the type of exposure to NFL similar offenses when it comes to QB's. I do think I mocked Ricky Stanzi 2 rounds to high probably, and may have to make an adjustment, but I like his 64.1 % completion percentage his 25 TD's to 6 INT'S, being a 3 yr starter that continually improved, with impeccable character, playing in a ProStyle offense. I also like Colin Kap..'ick (spelling?)..I guess only time will tell.

Yeah, I don't know that Von Miller would be there, but I think if he's not that then probably M. Dareus would be..I think that P. Peterson, D. Bowers, N. Fairley, AJ Green, and either Gabbert or Newton are all gone by the #7 pick of the draft. So, in my mind one of the two will be there and I see Cleveland grabbing a DT like Dareus before taking Miller...but what do I know, it's a crapshoot..

Hey, I appreciate your reply..It made for some creative thinking and good conversation. Thanks!

Here is the problem with your draft. Why would SF want to give up those draft picks to move up 4 spots? SF is just as bad as the Bills, they need all the picks they can get. GMs, that do these kind of trades, are usally out of work in a couple of seasons. If the Bills do not pick Cam, then SF will have it's choice of QBs.

Here is the problem with your draft. Why would SF want to give up those draft picks to move up 4 spots? SF is just as bad as the Bills, they need all the picks they can get. GMs, that do these kind of trades, are usally out of work in a couple of seasons. If the Bills do not pick Cam, then SF will have it's choice of QBs.

But EssEff won't have its choice if the Bills take Gabbert - and if Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert at Stanford because he liked Gabbert even better than Luck, then Harbaugh may very well covet Gabbert enough to swap first-round picks.

Of course, Gailey and Nix may also covet Gabbert - I guess we just aren't gonna know until April 28th.

Until then, I just like saying "Gabbert..."

"Gabbert Gabbert Gabbert..." :beer:

There is a lot of speculation that Carolina is leaning towards picking Cam Newton. Now at this time of the year of course there is a lot of speculation, but judging by some of the comments that the Panthers have made at the combine and during press conferences it seems like it's a strong possiblity they will select Newton. This could all be for posturing purposes, but why would Carolina have to throw teams off when they select #1 in the entire draft? Sometimes, teams actually sign the #1 pick before the draft itself.

Historically, it would not be a surprise if two QB's go in the top 5 or 10 picks, and besides Buffalo, Cincinnati's QB is demanding to be released/traded...which could influence their #4 pick immensely.

Arizona may also consider a QB as well at #5. But at #3 Buffalo holds the key if two scenarios that are likely to unfold. The first scenario has Carolina selecting a QB at #1 or possibly another team trading up to #1 to draft a QB which I don't see the latter as a strong possiblity. The second scenario is that Carolina selects either DA'QUAN Bowers or Nick Fairley which is a strong possibility as well. I don't see Denver selecting a QB at #2 though, and that I feel confident of (as sure as one could be, barring a trade)..

So, based on the above, I think that the #3 spot in the draft is the key entry point to get either the 1st or 2nd QB in the draft. If Newton is gone by #3 and someone really wants Gabbert this is the spot you take'em. If all QB's are on the board at #3, I believe someone (if not the Bills)..takes Newton at #3. I can almost guarantee though with little doubt that a QB will be selected in the first 3 picks of the draft.

What does this all mean to the 49'ers? Well they missed on Alex Smith and don't have that franchise QB. You flat out said it as well "SF is just as bad as the Bills." Why move up 4 spots? For the reasons above...S.Fran has a strong tradition of finding that QB and they don't have'em on their roster right now. I don't see San Fran as a team that is afraid to invest a lot of money in a QB at #3, and I see the Bills as the reverse who would rather trade down a few spots, save a few bucks and pick up an extra player or two to boot! Also, if the 49'ers were really just as bad as us they would be picking at #3 wouldn't they, but they are at #7 and were 6-10. They also have a new coach, Jim Harbaugh who excelled at Stanford who will want to find his guy, rather that will be Newton, or Gabbert. I can't see Harbaugh waiting till next year just to have a shot at getting Andrew Luck which I'm sure he'd love if time wasn't so critical like you mentined. The 49'ers coach and management get a 3 yr pass to try to turn things around. Most scouting/draft guides have the 49'ers #1 need listed as QB by the way!

So why again does this concept of us trading with S.F. sound so ridiculous to you? I do appreciate your difference in opinion, as there are many angles to consider. Thanks for your reply!

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

I think Sam Acho would struggle at DE in a 3-4 at 6'1.5" and 257lbs. He would most likely have to

play OLB and I can't see 2 LBs in the first 2 rounds. Not that Acho or Miller wouldn't be interesting

picks, just not both.

Yeah, you may be right about not drafting both players...I was impressed at what one of the 2011 NFL Draft guides was saying about Acho's upside: Plays very hard, good effort in pursuit, good burst to close, has lined up inside and outside, STERLING CHARACTER-Campbell Award Winner...who is a try-hard overachiever with the work ethic, intelligence and terrific intagibles to overachieve!

You read that stuff and it's enough to grab him as you can't have too much depth at DE or LB (we've proved that the past few years..)..

But, maybe until we fill our glaring needs it's worth reconsidering before worrying about creating depth at the position...I do know that I would like to see a heavy committment to defense by the Bills and I'm not impressed at all with their marginal talent base on the current roster.

Appreciate the reply, Thanks!

1- MARCEL DAREUS

2-PHIL TAYLOR

2B-BROOKS REED

3-COLIN MCARTHY

4 RICKY STANZI

4B LANCE KENDRICK

5 KENDRICK ELLIS

6-VIRGIL GREEN :thumbsup:

Seems like we agree on at least a few of the other players and I have to look closer at your other picks to give you an honest opinion on them...I remember thinking about Kendrick Ellis...but don't remember much about Colin McCarthy..I have been becoming a bigger fan of Dareus with each passing day and have him as my alternate at #7..but I wouldn't go as far as taking him at #3..

Thanks for giving me something to sink my teeth into and compare, as I like your input and will be excited to analyze it. Thanks for your reply!