Tony's one and only 2011 Buffalo Bills Mock Draft

tonyjustbcuz

Why do you guys insist on making mocks with a trade down?

Last I knew I am just one! lol... :thumbsup:.....I usually avoid adding a trade up or down in the mix, but being the Buffalo Bills and realizing that we often spend our money in the wrong places it makes sense to me.

I mistakenly made Ralph Wilson look cheap in one of my previous posts which wasn't really my intention and I got lambasted on that one (deservedly so probably..), but what we do seem to do in my opinion is spend our money in the wrong places.

I really think we try to avoid spending a lot on head coaches and try to make the appearance that the sky is the limit and even though many had hopes of landing Gruden, Cowher, Billick, Shottenheimer(s), etc...I really never was sold on that hype! well okay..a little excited by the prospect, but I really felt that we would go to a more "marginal" approach, and save some money while we are at it.

I think we do the same thing with GM's as well...no sense and going through that scenario as well...but you probably understand what I'm conveying to you.

I think we overpay marginal talent like Chris Kelsay as one of many examples...But then when it comes time to pay the big bucks to talent that has developed into a desired commodity we refrain from competing with other franchises for continued service of that player to the Bills..ie: Pat Williams, Antwoine Winfield, Jabari Greer, Leonhard, Nate Clements, etc....All good players that required a lofty investment.

So whats the point of me (us guys..) making a trade down?

The point is that I don't see the Bills wanting to invest the resources into a QB at #3 when they feel that they can probably get a marginal QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. I am not defending that position, but that is the position that I see them taking.

I also don't think that they will have the opportunity at Nick Fairley at #3 as he will be gone! So, in the essence of saving a few bucks, and also getting a player that should fall to #7 at a desired position of need. It seems to make sense that we would try to trade down. Not only will the Bills (Ralph) save some money buy moving down, but the Bills will be able to pick up an extra pick or two which will help restock their roster.

Another reason is that the Bills are normally not a huge player in freeagency as it goes against their basic philosophy as a organization who believes in building through the draft and mostly looking for marginal free agents to fill holes at a cost effective basis. Sure, they have violated their own philosophy when it meets their needs, but overall the draft is the only way this team feels they will be able to become a good team in the future.

All this being said, the Bills have so many needs on their roster that they are not much better than that of a expansion club in their 2nd year and really need all the draft picks they can gather. So don't be shocked if the Bills don't trade down with either Arizona, Cleveland, or S.Francisco...

You can say you heard it right here from all of these guys! :D:D:D

Thanks for your reply!

I just don't get this fixation with Matthews. He has maxed out his frame and is still too small. We already have our quota of little LB's. As for Miller...too reminiscent of Maybin. Chan wants size on the DL and ILB and that's what we will draft, not little guys at LB.

I appreciate your feelings on Matthews and I can understand your thinking. I'm still debating in my head about that selection and even though a lot of other people are saying take him in the 2nd or 3rd round, that is the very reason why if I take him I waited until the 4th round...I do love his intangibles, his motor, and you gotta love his NFL Family pedigree as well. I figured that he is worth a shot with a 4th rounder only because we have two opportunites/two picks in that round. I would not take a chance on him if we didn't have 2 picks there. I understand the Maybin thought..but then we can't refer to Maybin each time we see an overachiever in college that is slightly undersized. For every Maybin there are probably several success stories if you believe the cup is half full.

Anyways, this is my rough version of my final mock which is a ways off...there are several other players I am considering for several selections and your opinion helps me to consider (as well with other feedback) my final stance when I tweek things as I already know I will be making adjustments...So thank you for your input as that is something to consider, and it may have a strong impact on my final picks!

Thanks for your Reply!

But EssEff won't have its choice if the Bills take Gabbert - and if Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert at Stanford because he liked Gabbert even better than Luck, then Harbaugh may very well covet Gabbert enough to swap first-round picks.

Of course, Gailey and Nix may also covet Gabbert - I guess we just aren't gonna know until April 28th.

Until then, I just like saying "Gabbert..."

"Gabbert Gabbert Gabbert..." :beer:

Exactly...We wouldn't have this conversation if the Bills took Gabbert at #3, but personally I don't think they will..and that's just based on my opinion and not fact as none of us know for sure like you said until the 28th of April.

I think that with Harbaugh trying to recruit Gabbert preceding Luck's committment at Stanford..that itspeaks volumes as to what will be dancing in Harbaugh's (therefore also S.Frans..) head on draft (night) day! I think regardless if Newton goes at #1 pick or not S.Fran is not going to wait around for another team to scoop up Gabbert either as the first or second QB drafted! But, if Newton goes first, watch out because I personally feel the Bills are the door to S.Fran being assured of Gabbert.

Well..One thing for sure is that the excitement is building...and as long as the Bills don't do something totally off the wall like drafting the next Maybin...Well they have a great chance at picking up a great player at #3 or hopefully in the top 7 or so picks! They really need a great impact pick..and it all starts here!!!

Thanks for your reply! Enjoyed it..

I just don't get this fixation with Matthews. He has maxed out his frame and is still too small. We already have our quota of little LB's. As for Miller...too reminiscent of Maybin. Chan wants size on the DL and ILB and that's what we will draft, not little guys at LB.

+1

Stay away from Matthews he just too small keep in mind he is not Clay. Von Miller has demonstrated that he can be a difference maker and has delivered in the big games. It's not any thing that Miller has done that concerns me. Maybin has clouded my judgement toward him because of his position, and size similarities. Merriman said of Maybin that he has all of tools he just needs to learn how to play football. Maybe Miller knows how to play football. Keep in mind Miller is about the same size as Cornelius Bennett. If it wasn't for Maybin I would be all for Miller.

Edited by VADC Bills

+1

Stay away from Matthews he just too small keep in mind he is not Clay. Von Miller has demonstrated that he can be a difference maker and has delivered in the big games. It's not any thing that Miller has done that concerns me. Maybin has clouded my judgement toward him because of his position, and size similarities. Merriman said of Maybin that he has all of tools he just needs to learn how to play football. Maybe Miller knows how to play football. Keep in mind Miller is about the same size as Cornelius Bennett. If it wasn't for Maybin I would be all for Miller.

That's easy to understand....It's almost like an abused spouse ever trusting another person into their lives...It kind of ruins your outlook based on a prior relationship. In that respect I definitely can identify with the fear of both Matthews and Miller.

At some point people usually take another chance, but seeing that Maybin is still in the house, and the Bills haven't filed for seperation yet..lol...it makes sense not to invite someone else with similar characteristics.

I will also give that strong consideration, as I tweak and continue to update my draft...your input is appreciated!! Thanks for the reply!

No thanks. Undersized LBs have no business being picked 3rd.

I agree with you and that is why I selected him with my 5th selection in the 4th round (and not as my 3rd pick..), as I addressed my most pressing needs first and am taking a chance on a hard working (undersized) achiever with a good NFL family pedigree! But, it is noted as I get your point even if you misquoted me. That's the nice thing about Mock Drafts, everyone has one, and I'm looking forward to reading everyones, and will adjust mine after further analyzing all the data and considering feedback.

Thank You for your reply!