If this is to be believed ...

dave mcbride

At the end of the day I think it will be less about Clausen and more about who Rivera wants at #1...They chose a defensive Coach who is going to be HEAVILY involved on the Defensive Side...There are a few stud D-Linemen available, and I think that's where RR is going to want to go...

It's just a guess...But they went with a defensive minded HC for a reason I think...And the Panthers REALLY need to replace the massive hole Peppers left when he went to Chicago... B-)

Good, then maybe Fariley will drop to us.

I still think Clausen could be good with a better team around him and more time. I was at the Panthers vs. Seahawks game and he looked pretty good. Wasn't his fault the team was so bad.

Nevertheless reddog, FWIW, ALL the speculation I've read on the Carolina situation is that having Clausen on the roster will not impact what the Panthers do with their first pick.

Of course it's only speculation although what IS fact is that the Panthers did state publicly that they would draft Andrew Luck if he declared for the draft.

I too believe Clausen will be better next year. I know he didn't look good last year as a rookie but every year at ND Clausen improved dramatically.

I am expecting the same thing to happen in Carolina. I believe that Clausen has the work ethic and drive to make it happen. I would also imagine that he isn't too happy with all this QB to Carolina talk and has a chip on his shoulder.

I guess at the end of the day, if Clausen does get better and they draft Newton, the Panthers would be in a enviable position. Could be a Brees/Rivers situation.

Good, then maybe Fariley will drop to us.

I still think Clausen could be good with a better team around him and more time. I was at the Panthers vs. Seahawks game and he looked pretty good. Wasn't his fault the team was so bad.

I'm hoping we don't draft anybody from Auburn with our 1st pick.

At the end of the day I think it will be less about Clausen and more about who Rivera wants at #1...They chose a defensive Coach who is going to be HEAVILY involved on the Defensive Side...There are a few stud D-Linemen available, and I think that's where RR is going to want to go...

It's just a guess...But they went with a defensive minded HC for a reason I think...And the Panthers REALLY need to replace the massive hole Peppers left when he went to Chicago... B-)

your conclusion is not correct

Being a defensive coach, Rivera probably has a strong belief that he will be able to improve the defense with his coaching and direction.

Since he may feel he can improve the defense without adding players, he has the luxury of obtaining a franchise QB at #1, especially since his other option at QB is Clausen

A top defensive player would surely help, but a franchise QB would help infinitely more - and for a longer time

""There are a lots of different things that have gone into quarterbacks being successful the last few years,'' Bills head coach Chan Gailey said Thursday morning. "I think it makes everybody say, 'Let's not be so hard on that statistic [about first-round quarterback failures] from the last 15 years. Let's look at the last four or five [years].''

Interesting.

This shows that the Bills and other teams do go over draft history, meaning Von Miller and Patrick Peterson at #3 would certainly go against Draft history the last 15 years.

That makes me sleep better at night.

I called a couple weeks back Cam Newton #1 overall.

Rivera said "you can't pass on that" when it comes to Cam.

Looks like Cam will be competing in the NFC South against my backup team the Tampa Bay Freemans.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Bills fans can only hope and pray the Panthers take Newton, then the Bills will have a better choice on defense. I've been advocating for O line help for the last 3 years, now I'd really like to see them fix the defense...last in the NFL against the run.

Now that Schobel has retired, the Bills have no pass rush,and nobody to replace him as Maybin is worthless.

We will either get the defensive player we want, or Newton will be available and we will trade down with the Redskins.

PTR

Exactly the scenario I want to see (the trade down). We take Redskins no 2 and 3 next year, and trade them and our no1 next year (which will be a top 10 pick, without a doubt) plus whatever ever else it takes to draft Luck. This is what we should be doing. Newton is not the answer for the Bills and drafting him will be a mistake. He is some weird combo of Russell, Campbell and Vince Young. No SEC QB on my team. They leave their best ball in college.

Wow nightmare scenario popped in my head of newton going first and gabbert getting reached for by ralph....

For anyone who pines for - and insists we need to draft - a 'franchise QB' in round one (and I'm not among them), your "nightmare scenario" is probably the best thing that could happen to the Bills...Gabbert will be a far better NFL QB than Kim Newton.

I don't think we need to draft a QB early - but if we do, I hope it's Gabbert and not Newton.