Attending the Draft

sirebors

I am seriously considering attending the draft this year. My question is " has anyone attended in the past? " I have actually written the NFL and Radio City Music Hal and got this response:

"The NFL had instructed us to inform guests that, as in past years, tickets will be distributed on a "first come, first served" basis. The exact date and times for the wristband distribution process will be announced by the NFL in early April. Fans can visit NFL.com our RadioCity.com at that time."

From what I understand they do not sell or distribute tickets in advance. You have to stand in line the actual draft day you wish to attend and they are distributed first come/first serve. How difficult is it to actually get tickets on draft day? How much in advance do you have to stand in line? Is demand greater than tickets? Are a lot of fans turned away?

I would like to know as much as possible before I arrange travel plans and then am unable to get tickets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If someone is knowledge about the area and knows of some reasonable hotels that would be helpful as well.

I am hoping to be there to see the Bills select Dareus or Quinn.

Also how many actual fans are admitted? How much seating is there available for fans?

I am seriously considering attending the draft this year. My question is " has anyone attended in the past? " I have actually written the NFL and Radio City Music Hal and got this response:

"The NFL had instructed us to inform guests that, as in past years, tickets will be distributed on a "first come, first served" basis. The exact date and times for the wristband distribution process will be announced by the NFL in early April. Fans can visit NFL.com our RadioCity.com at that time."

From what I understand they do not sell or distribute tickets in advance. You have to stand in line the actual draft day you wish to attend and they are distributed first come/first serve. How difficult is it to actually get tickets on draft day? How much in advance do you have to stand in line? Is demand greater than tickets? Are a lot of fans turned away?

I would like to know as much as possible before I arrange travel plans and then am unable to get tickets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If someone is knowledge about the area and knows of some reasonable hotels that would be helpful as well.

Also how many actual fans are admitted? How much seating is there available for fans?

I know that mrags and markvader have gone to multiple drafts. You could pm either/both of them.

i researched it a few years ago and determined without any doubt that it is an awful idea to go. A huge pain, a ton of waiting.... and the payoff isnt really that great once you get in.

Well researching is, well researching. I've been to 4 straight drafts and its an awesome time and its now less of a pain then it use to be! You wait in line for a couple hours now, they give u tickets around midnight and everyone leaves, you come back next day wait in line for an hour or two and they give out tickets randomly. The first year I went I was in back of line and ended up sitting next to the espn and nfl network booths and hung out with joe thomas's aunt and aj hawk. Last year I was in front and ended up on upper tier. There's a lot of free stuff and its a fun time for a real nfl fan. Not to mention your in nyc, there's tons to do every night afterwards. Any questions just pm me.

Ok, you said you wait in line the previous day for a couple of hours and get the tickets around midnight. What time should you get in line to assure yourself tickets? Does everyone in line get tickets? You also said the next day they give out tickets randomly. To who? People that don't already have them? What about tickets for the subsequent draft days? Is that what you were talking about?

I must admit I was having second thoughts until you posted your response. Now I am more excited and committed than ever. I apologize for not cut and pasting your response or pm' ing you but I am responding from my droid and it's more difficult. Any other advice, information would be greatly appreciated.

People that stayed for all 3 days last year get tickets. The line no joke can be about as long as half a mile long and I've never seen them turn people away. Radio city is huge, a lot of ppl get in. I'm not sure if this years guidelines are up yet, but for example if it says lineup starts at 10, I would get there at 9 or 10, I've seen people get there as their giving out tickets and get in. Once you have your tickets your free to do whatever you want, me and my friends booked hotels a couple months before draft, brought all our stuff to hotel and went out in nyc. The next day it'll tell you come back at 5 or whatever, get there an hour or 2 before that. Butlike I said once you have your ticket your in, and your place on line has no bearing on where your sitting. This year they closed the street down because of the vice pres going to nbc studios, goodell came out and talked to all the fans on line for a while, and dhani jones was out there interviewing fans. They mess with the pats and cowboys fans a lot, as you would expect.

Last year when a steelers fan walked by everyone started chanting she said no, its hilarious. I haven't heard a word being a bills fan down there.

The Bills had a draft party at RWS two years ago when the picked Aaron Maybin. Good thing they didn't allow anyone on the upper decks if you catch my drift.

PTR

I went to two draft parties at RWS. The first we picked Eric Flowers. It took me a long time to get over that, but I did. and attended the last one where we picked Maybin. Combine those two experiences and you find yourself in the fetal position for days at a time.

I went to the 2006 draft when we picked Lee Evans and JP in Round 1.

It was cool being there and seeing the whole production. But I really enjoy flipping between ESPN and NFLN to hear what the commentators are saying and you don't get any of that.

It was a fun experience, but I don't think I would go again.

I went to two draft parties at RWS. The first we picked Eric Flowers. It took me a long time to get over that, but I did. and attended the last one where we picked Maybin. Combine those two experiences and you find yourself in the fetal position for days at a time.

On behalf of Bills fans everywhere... Please never attend another draft party at the Ralph ever again.

I went to the Maybin draft a few years ago (ugh). It was an awesome time actually. If it's something you really want to experience I highly recomend going.

At the time things were a little different than they are now. However I'd expect them to be similar to this years format. We got to NYC the night before and headed right for Radio City from the airport. I think we got there around 7-8pm. There was a line about a half a mile down the street (all the way down to Rockefeller Center) they announced that they would hand out wristbands at midnight. At that point they funnel everyone into the enterance of the facility. You get your wristband and get to go home or your hotel for the night. They inform everyone that seating is completely random. They will sit you and everyone your with together if possible (we met up with a few other Bills fans that night and decided to all go in together the next morning so we could sit together) we had a pretty big group so we had to sit in the 2nd last row in the entire place for the first round. After the first round was over we moved down to the 2nd level. (FYI, floor sears suck, you can't get that close to the teams enough to see anything they are doing anyway) I'd moving down to the 2nd level whenever you can, that's where almost everyone heckle Mcshay, and Kyper anyway (much more fun).

If I recall correctly thy handed out wristbands for the 2nd day at the end of the first day but you didn't really need them anyway. The place started out only about 3/4 full on day 2 and after about 2 rounds it was less than half (in fact they didn't even have the upper deck open on that day)

it was a ton of fun. Something I always wanted to see and I'm glad I did. They give you a gift bag with a radio headset to listen to all the commentating on all media covering the draft. They had 4x100+" tv screens all on different channels (1 on espn, 1 on NFL network, and the other 2 for player updates and highlight films) they also give you note pads to mark your notes and follow the draft picks and trades.

All in all one of the best times I've Had watching football coverage. It's similar to watching on tv except your there and it's just a huge party. You won't miss anything by being there as opposed to what you see on tv. It's like being at a sports bar with every channel at once, except on steroids. Later that summer I went to the HOF (Ralph and Bruces inductions) and they were both awesome. I'm now only 90 minutes outside the city when I'm at work so I'm thinking about going for a day or 2 this year as well(depending on my work schedule).

Don't listen to everyone that says it sucks. Trust me, you won't be upset you went.

Oh ya, unless I was in the wrong areas, they don't serve alchohol there so bring a flask and hide it on your person if you want to consume while your there.

On behalf of Bills fans everywhere... Please never attend another draft party at the Ralph ever again.

LMAO!!!

I went to the Maybin draft a few years ago (ugh). It was an awesome time actually. If it's something you really want to experience I highly recomend going.

At the time things were a little different than they are now. However I'd expect them to be similar to this years format. We got to NYC the night before and headed right for Radio City from the airport. I think we got there around 7-8pm. There was a line about a half a mile down the street (all the way down to Rockefeller Center) they announced that they would hand out wristbands at midnight. At that point they funnel everyone into the enterance of the facility. You get your wristband and get to go home or your hotel for the night. They inform everyone that seating is completely random. They will sit you and everyone your with together if possible (we met up with a few other Bills fans that night and decided to all go in together the next morning so we could sit together) we had a pretty big group so we had to sit in the 2nd last row in the entire place for the first round. After the first round was over we moved down to the 2nd level. (FYI, floor sears suck, you can't get that close to the teams enough to see anything they are doing anyway) I'd moving down to the 2nd level whenever you can, that's where almost everyone heckle Mcshay, and Kyper anyway (much more fun).

If I recall correctly thy handed out wristbands for the 2nd day at the end of the first day but you didn't really need them anyway. The place started out only about 3/4 full on day 2 and after about 2 rounds it was less than half (in fact they didn't even have the upper deck open on that day)

it was a ton of fun. Something I always wanted to see and I'm glad I did. They give you a gift bag with a radio headset to listen to all the commentating on all media covering the draft. They had 4x100+" tv screens all on different channels (1 on espn, 1 on NFL network, and the other 2 for player updates and highlight films) they also give you note pads to mark your notes and follow the draft picks and trades.

All in all one of the best times I've Had watching football coverage. It's similar to watching on tv except your there and it's just a huge party. You won't miss anything by being there as opposed to what you see on tv. It's like being at a sports bar with every channel at once, except on steroids. Later that summer I went to the HOF (Ralph and Bruces inductions) and they were both awesome. I'm now only 90 minutes outside the city when I'm at work so I'm thinking about going for a day or 2 this year as well(depending on my work schedule).

Don't listen to everyone that says it sucks. Trust me, you won't be upset you went.

Oh ya, unless I was in the wrong areas, they don't serve alchohol there so bring a flask and hide it on your person if you want to consume while your there.

Great post. Entertaining and informative. Thanks!

You're better off kickin' back and watching it on ESPN.

I could not have said it better myself. If you love the game of football, you'll find that attending the NFL Draft is a blast. Hope I see you there this year mrags.