Blaine Gabbert is overrated

laffy2777

I believe Blaine Gabbert is overrated. I think we should draft Von Miller and draft Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett in the 2nd round. Jake Locker has a much better arm and is much more mobile than Gabbert. Ok i know that Locker had a disappointing senior season but there's no doubt the kid can play the position well and he'd be the perfect guy to learn under Fitz. I've said it all along that if we take a QB with the 3rd overall pick he better be starting by week 5 or 6 with the ridiculous contract we'll end up paying him, and if we take a QB at #3 it better be Newton. I believe the pick will be Von Miller. I just pray to God the Bills don't waste another pick on a guy we all think is our "savior" to the franchise. Buffalo needs to start drafting like the Steelers......

Draft for needs, not wants.

I believe Blaine Gabbert is overrated. I think we should draft Von Miller and draft Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett in the 2nd round. Jake Locker has a much better arm and is much more mobile than Gabbert. Ok i know that Locker had a disappointing senior season but there's no doubt the kid can play the position well and he'd be the perfect guy to learn under Fitz. I've said it all along that if we take a QB with the 3rd overall pick he better be starting by week 5 or 6 with the ridiculous contract we'll end up paying him, and if we take a QB at #3 it better be Newton. I believe the pick will be Von Miller. I just pray to God the Bills don't waste another pick on a guy we all think is our "savior" to the franchise. Buffalo needs to start drafting like the Steelers......

Well - the Bills do need a alot of things - including a top level QB. I do not know the Qb's available for next year other than AL - which would warrant a 1-15 record to get him. So - if the Bills are in a position - after thorough research - to get a top level QB this year - and they are confident that Newton or Gabbert will be that - I think they have no other choice but to draft them - after all - when will they have their chance to get one.

This is all providing that Newton/Gabbert verify their capability to be a top notch QB through the combines.interviews etc

1) How do you know Gabbert's overrated? The whole world thought Bradford was overrated last year at this time, and he seemed to turn out pretty damn well for a rookie QB on what was supposed to be a horrible team.

2) As far as what the #3 pick in the draft getting paid "ridiculous money", those days are over. They may hold the draft in April with an expired collective bargaining agreement, but there won't be one rookie signed to any contracts until after there is a new collective bargaining agreement signed sealed and delivered. And that won't happen, unless there is finally a common sense rookie salary cap in place. So the Bills can trade up with Carolina and choose Gabbert #1 overall if they want, but he will never see a contract like the past 5 years' of top picks have signed.

3) A prayer for Von Miller seems like a big waste of God's time. Cam Newton or Gabbert should be the choice at #3 for Buddy, in my humble opinion.

4) Yes, the Bills do need to start drafting like the Steelers. And as soon as they find a QB in the first round to equal or better Big Ben, you can then start the comparisons. Because for all the high value picks and lower round jewels and just plain SMART choices the Steelers have made in the draft over the past 10 years, they did not win their 5th SB (and first since 1979-80), until Big Ben was behind center.

Nothing happens until someone sells something. We've all heard that old saying in business, right? Well, in the NFL about 95% of the time, Super Bowl championships don't happen until somebody sells the owner on drafting or trading for a great quarterback! Everyone thinks the Bills should continue drafting for defense and value and OL and finally find that elusive tight end and trade down for more picks and on and on and on. Build for the future. Hope for that magic SB season in 2 or 4 or 6 years down the line.

Well, I think that every team in the NFL has the chance to win a SB championship every single season, with free agency and the salary cap. And that belief will be even stonger after the new collective bargaining agreement is reached, and with Goodell's common sense and intelligence guiding the players and teams, the NFL should enter the best years of it's existence. So all of that said, added to the fact I only want to see the Buffalo Bills win one lousy SB during my lifetime, the sooner the Bills acquire that franchise type Pro Bowl caliber QB, then they too will fall into that 95 percentile chance of actually having a SB winning season depending on how much longer Buddy and his team take to finish the rebuilding around him!

Jake Locker has a much better arm and is much more mobile than Gabbert

This one made me laugh. Do you know that Gabbert probably runs in the 4.6 - 4.7 range maybe even faster? His arm is a rocket.

The only thing that is the question mark with him is his ability to take snaps under center and make quick decisions in the NFL.

This one made me laugh. Do you know that Gabbert probably runs in the 4.6 - 4.7 range maybe even faster? His arm is a rocket.

The only thing that is the question mark with him is his ability to take snaps under center and make quick decisions in the NFL.

Jack Locker also cant hit water if he fell out of a boat

I dont like any of the QBs in this draft

Not to mention that "much better arm" is terribly erratic. Even if stronger, his arm is less NFL ready.

I've seen only 3 games Gaby played, including his Bowl game against Iowa, and he was completely unimpressive. It's also amazing that before McShay started the full court press PR wise to pimp him, no one had him rated as a top 5 QB. Now others are copying ESPN's lead. Players who get to be hot commodities only after they declare for the draft and one news source leads a full campaign for them scare me.

I've seen only 3 games Gaby played, including his Bowl game against Iowa, and he was completely unimpressive. It's also amazing that before McShay started the full court press PR wise to pimp him, no one had him rated as a top 5 QB. Now others are copying ESPN's lead. Players who get to be hot commodities only after they declare for the draft and one news source leads a full campaign for them scare me.

What game were you watching? He threw an awful pic at the very end that cost Mizzou the game but other than that he was on fire. He completed 41/57 passes for 450 yards. Yes he threw two ints compared to one TD but one pick was a ball that hit the WR in the hands and got knocked into the air(and it was in the endzone so it should have been a TD not a INT). I think Blaine is a little overrated but he lit that bowl game up and if you weren't impressed with a QB who completed 72% of his passes for 450 yards than you are just really hard to impress.

I don`t know why people feel that we need a QB so bad. Fitz had a good year and he only played 13gms. I think now that he is the unquestioned starter and he finally has a whole offseason as the starter to prepare mentally and physically.

I beleive Fitz is our future at QB, we just have to give him a chance and build around him. get this guy a RT and 2 new TE( Spaeath,& Boss.

Then in the draft we go DDDDDDDD.

NO LAME GABBERT if we take him on draft day i`ll throw up

I don`t know why people feel that we need a QB so bad. Fitz had a good year and he only played 13gms. I think now that he is the unquestioned starter and he finally has a whole offseason as the starter to prepare mentally and physically.

I beleive Fitz is our future at QB, we just have to give him a chance and build around him. get this guy a RT and 2 new TE( Spaeath,& Boss.

If this is true, our future is bleak. Fitz is the short term future. He plays next year until Newton is ready to step in.

Fitz is a placeholder until we find the QB of the future.

Fitz is John Kitna

Do you see Fitz ever winning a super bowl for us? Even if we improve our defense to top 5 or 10, I can't see him leading us to a championship. That's the goal. If you don't think cam or gabbert can lead us to one, I can understand why you don't want us to draft one of them. But IMO, they have the skill set for it, now they just have to develop. I think Fitz has reached his potential

The last 10 Super Bowl winning quarterbacks are:

2010-11: Packers, Aaron Rogers, 1st Round Pick. SB MVP.

2009-10: Saints, Drew Brees, 2nd Round Pick. SB MVP

2008-09: Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger, 1st Round Pick.

2007-08: Giants, Eli Manning, #1 Overall Pick, SB MVP

2006-07: Colts, Peyton Manning, #1 Overall Pick, SB MVP

2005-06: Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger, 1st Round Pick.

2004-05: Patriots, Tom Brady, 6th Round Pick - And oh by the way, the luckiest draft pick in NFL history!

2003-04: Patriots, Tom Brady, SB MVP

2002-03: Buccaneers, Brad Johnson, 9th Round Pick

2001-02: Patriots, Tom Brady, SB MVP

Now, can we detect a pattern here? :doh:

Tom Brady does not count as a normal type of "draft statistic." The reason is obvious. There has never been an NFL QB in history to come out of the 6th round as good as he, and I think we can all logically agree that there never will be one again. And yet, even though he was an after-thought late round pick to back up Bledsoe, the Pats did not win their first SB until Brady was the starter....right??

Now, after Brady and his 3 SB wins, you have another 6 starting QB's that won the other 7 SB's these past 10 years. All but one of those 6 were 1st or 2nd round draft picks, with Brad Johnson, the old pro who was drafted in the 9th round originally by the Vikes, guiding the Bucs offense while their defense won the game over the Raiders in '02.

So, looking at the last 10 SB winning QB's, do you really think Fitzy can join that group and lead the Bills to a SB win himself? Even Brad Johnson had a better more accurate arm, and he played on a team that had one of the best defenses in NFL history. No, I think the Bills still need to draft their franchise QB before they can ever expect to win a SB. Either that or Wanny and G. Edwards have to build a Tampa - Ravens type defense that can basically win the game all by itself.

Pretty much every year this happens, though. You'll have one or two QBs that weren't on most radars as a top pick during the season, but once draft times rolls around, and because of the position they play, all of a sudden these guys are the next Peyton Manning. As much as I love the draft and all that leads up to it, it's never made sense to me how players can completely change their stock value based on things that happen AFTER they're seasons are over. If these draft gurus know so much about these players, wouldn't their views be pretty much set based upon their level of play during actual games? I don't see how one guy can have a great, or crappy, combine workout and then either rocket up teams' big boards or plummet downward right off of them. I would hope that the scouting departments (particularly our own) are immune to all the hype that surrounds a lot of these prospects and base their decisions on what these kids do during actual game play.

Sam Bradford ran the spread. Aaron Rodgers ran the spread. Drew Brees ran the spread.

Yes, Brees played in a largely spread offense at Purdue under Joe Tiller, who was an influential spread offense coach.

Rodgers played in Jeff Tedford's pro-style offense. I don't think they were a spread team per se, but did go into spread formations on passing downs.

Still trying to think of other spread/spread option QBs who've found success in the NFL.

Regardless, the spread and spread option do appear to be a coming wave in the NFL as Coach Gailey mentioned.

It was partly due to circumstances but in 2007 (the 50 TD, Super Bowl loss season), Tom Brady lined up in the spread offense over 60% of the time.