new gbn mock - first three rounds

dave mcbride

1. I'd rather have....Quinn, Dareus, Green, Von Miller

2. :thumbsup:

3. I'd rather have....Marvin Austin, Drake Nevis, Kendrick Ellis, Bruce Carter, or Donte Moch

Defense Defense Defense :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1. I'd rather have....Quinn, Dareus, Green, Von Miller

2. :thumbsup:

3. I'd rather have....Marvin Austin, Drake Nevis, Kendrick Ellis, Bruce Carter, or Donte Moch

Defense Defense Defense :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Phil Taylor or Son of Ironhead in rd 2 if either fall. Even if we grab Dareus or Fairley in Rd 1, I'd take Taylor or Heyward on Rd 2 if one is there. We could stop worrying about the D line for a decade. Get a RT in Rd 3 and two LBs in rd 4.

I still feel Peterson will prove to be the best player from this draft.

Love pick two

Put Kelvin shepard at 3, or carter if he's healthy.

Gosh....I really want to love Peterson, but all the tape I've seen where he plays against decent receivers (Jeff Fuller, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon) he just doesn't look like a shut-down corner to me. Could it be the protection schemes that LSU likes to employ on defense (i.e., more zone coverage)....I don't know. Anyone who is really familiar with Peterson have any insight that might help me to understand his value at #3?

I still feel Peterson will prove to be the best player from this draft.

Love pick two

Put Kelvin shepard at 3, or carter if he's healthy.

Remember this: in terms of CB, Deion Sanders is in the discussion of the greatest of all time. Same with Barry Sanders at the running back position.

They were drafted in 1989 when Troy Aikman went #1 overall. Troy Aikman is really never mentioned with the likes of Montana, Unitas or even Elway, Marino, Manning, Brady and Favre. He wasn't a big numbers guy but he won 3 SB's and without him the Cowboys wouldn't have won any of them.

Sanders presence made little historical impact on the fortunes of the Lions, and Sanders would have never been able to make the kind of difference for Atlanta playing cornerback that Aikman made, or would have made, anywhere as a QB.

It doesn't matter whether you get the best player from a draft, there are QB's and then there are the other 21 position players.

Remember this: in terms of CB, Deion Sanders is in the discussion of the greatest of all time. Same with Barry Sanders at the running back position.

They were drafted in 1989 when Troy Aikman went #1 overall. Troy Aikman is really never mentioned with the likes of Montana, Unitas or even Elway, Marino, Manning, Brady and Favre. He wasn't a big numbers guy but he won 3 SB's and without him the Cowboys wouldn't have won any of them.

Sanders presence made little historical impact on the fortunes of the Lions, and Sanders would have never been able to make the kind of difference for Atlanta playing cornerback that Aikman made, or would have made, anywhere as a QB.

It doesn't matter whether you get the best player from a draft, there are QB's and then there are the other 21 position players.

But how do you make sure that you're getting Aikman and not Steve Walsh?

You have to have all elements to win a championship. Keep in mind when Emmitt Smith was hurt and when he held out Aikman could not win. Emmitt was the key to the Cowboy machine. Aikman and Irvin where great supporting players. In fact I know one of those Superbowls the Cowboys where getting their butts kicked until they started pounding the to Emmitt f--kin Smith.... Elway would not have won without TD. The QB usually has the opportunity to make the biggest impact but not always do they.

Go defense.

Edited by VADC Bills

The pick I like the most in that is Heyward if he's there. I only saw the kid play maybe twice last year. Just from that I liked a few things about the guy. He tackles hard, quick off the line, gets to the ball, and plays angles great (it makes him look way faster than he probably is). The only thing about him that I noticed that I didn't like was when someone locks on him he can be blocked and doesn't always shed it. He might not get manhandled that much but you've got to shed guys. If he falls to us at 34 which I don't think he will, I'd say go for it.

Just for kicks look at a draft with a trade down with Cleveland. I submit that these additions would probably help us greatly in the next season.

8 Buff from Clev Marcel Dareus LB Texas A&M

35 Buffalo Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State

37 B from C Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin

68 Buffalo Drake Nevis DT LSU

70 B from C Marvin Austin DT North Carolina

Somehow I would like to get Luke Stocker TE from Tennessee into the mix though.

You have to have all elements to win a championship. Keep in mind when Emmitt Smith was hurt and when he held out Aikman could not win. Emmitt was the key to the Cowboy machine. Aikman and Irvin where great supporting players. In fact I know one of those Superbowls the Cowboys where getting their butts kicked until they started pounding the to Emmitt f--kin Smith.... Elway would not have won without TD. The QB usually has the opportunity to make the biggest impact but not always do they.

Go defense.

This isn't really true. They lost the first game of the 1993 season by a score of 35-16 to Washington, but it was more a function of defensive collapse than anything else. Aikman was 17-29 for 267 yards, 2 TDs, and no INTs (112.3 rating) and Derrick Lassick rushed 16 times for 75 yards (4.7 yards per carry). They outyarded the Skins 345-332, but the Skins rushed for 171.

The next game, they completely dominated the Bills in yardage (393 to 229--!!) but lost at the end because Aikman's final pass bounced off of Jay Novacek's shoulder pad in the end zone. The Bills were extremely lucky -- Matt Darby caught the caroming ball, which had popped up high into the air. This was despite the fact that he had poor coverage on Novacek. The Cowboys definintely should have won that game. To be fair to the Bills, Nate Odomes did make a great INT in the first quarter that helped a lot. That doesn't mean that the Cowboys didn't dominate the LOS most of the day, though.

Edited by dave mcbride

Gosh....I really want to love Peterson, but all the tape I've seen where he plays against decent receivers (Jeff Fuller, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon) he just doesn't look like a shut-down corner to me. Could it be the protection schemes that LSU likes to employ on defense (i.e., more zone coverage)....I don't know. Anyone who is really familiar with Peterson have any insight that might help me to understand his value at #3?

I agree 100%. I don't get the top 5 love he's been getting from all the media outlets. I think he'll be a good player but he'd be a major reach at #3 IMO.

I don't know all the value/points stuff involved, but 49ers may be looking for a corner if Clements doesn't agree to a pay cut - wonder if they'd be willing to trade-up to grab Peterson, and in Von Miller would still be there at #7 ???

I'd rather have Quinn but I'd be cool with Miller. I think 1 of the two would be around at 7. SF might also be interested in moving in front of Arz to grab either Gabbert or Newton.

I agree 100%. I don't get the top 5 love he's been getting from all the media outlets. I think he'll be a good player but he'd be a major reach at #3 IMO.

I agree too. I think actual NFL teams aren't going to touch him until the second half of the first round. Everyone will call it an unexpected "drop".