Carucci: Bills GM Nix likes Cam Newton "a great deal"

Marshmallow

Because all 3 of those QBs are pocket passers that think pass first and not run first? At the NFL level, you have to be able to read the defense. :thumbsup:

Cam Newton came out of an option spread offense. Please name ONE QB that came out of an option offense in college that became successful at the next level. Name ONE. If we go QB with the 3rd i'll take my chances with Gabbert.

If you don't believe that Newton can make the transition to the pros then that is fine. You are entitled to your opinion. In my view if a qb plays in a college system that runs first but also exhibits very good passing skills and judgment in running an offense I have little concern in his ability to make the transition to the pros? It's funny, the more and longer you question his suitability to adapt to the pro game the higher he gets ranked in the draft.

Using your logic, if an offensive lineman, back or receiver plays in a wishbone offense or spread offense does that mean that those players are not capable of making the transition to the pros? Of course not. Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense, at least to me.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know theres a difference between a spread option and a spread offense right? :rolleyes: So you still havent named an option QB thats made it successfully to the next level. Try again.

I clearly do. So how did Vick improve his completion percentage from 45% and 55% career to 62% this year? Please tell me. Also tell me how U of Washington is an "elite" program? I'd love to hear this.

by playing 12 games? having a bunch of them be against houston and washington? by being put in one of the most physically talented passing games in the nfl, regardless of qb?

by your standard of a decade not mattering cause he had 1 good season, im going to argue that he finished with 2 games in the 50s, and discount his entire good year. its about as reasonable an argument i think.

and lets be honest, if theres ever been a guy with the skill set, style and talent of a spread option qb -- that would be vick. a guy that makes one read and runs? sound familiar in your arguments? you just contradict and argue with yourself most of the time. you are arguing all that matters is cam cant learn because its impossible in this thread, and locker will learn everything in the other thread. madness.

at some point you are better off saying you are just following your gut instead of looking for stats or examples to back it up. you dont seem good at that.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm usually not much for hypotheticals, but I think this is a real possibility, so here goes...

Let's say we draft Cam Newton #3, and he spends all of 2011 on the bench (like many here would like to see). The team is so bad that we end up with the #1 pick in 2012. So we are sitting there staring at Andrew Luck with the #1 pick, and have an unknown QB in our pocket. What do we do? There would be options to trade I'm sure, but man, passing on Luck for a still unknown.

I know many people on this board would choke me, burn me, stab me, shoot me, drown me, and hang me for saying this about the ever mighty Andrew Luck, but he will be an unknown as well coming out of college. And to be fair, many, many people were in love with Jake Locker last year and where is he slated to go this year? Many feel he dropped to the 2 d or even the 3rd round in some mocks. Last year he was considered to be drafted #1 potential along with Bradford. Who's to say Luck doesn't fall off the Map next season?

Yeah, eggheads at MIT and Berkeley are always much, much better free throw shooters than boneheads at Buff State or Oneonta.

You seem to be implying that the eggheads at MIT and Berkeley are superior in every mental aspect to the "boneheads" at Buff State or Oneonta. That implication is false.

Intelligence consists of g + s1 + s2 + . . . + sn. g stands for general intelligence, s1, s2 and so forth indicate specific mental abilities.

On average, the students at MIT or Berkeley have higher levels of g than the students at most other schools. But we should not assume those MIT students are endowed with an analogous advantage in every single s-specific trait. For example, MIT students may not be more socially aware and adept than students at some community college. Nor (more to the point) should we necessarily assume that those parts of the brain associated with muscular control will always be more highly developed among MIT and Berkeley students than among students at less prestigious schools.

While some s-specific abilities have little direct relevance to football, you obviously want a QB who's very richly gifted with the s-specific ability which allows accurate, finely-tuned muscular control. A QB who can put a football exactly where he wants it to be, every single time.

I know many people on this board would choke me, burn me, stab me, shoot me, drown me, and hang me for saying this about the ever mighty Andrew Luck, but he will be an unknown as well coming out of college. And to be fair, many, many people were in love with Jake Locker last year and where is he slated to go this year? Many feel he dropped to the 2 d or even the 3rd round in some mocks. Last year he was considered to be drafted #1 potential along with Bradford. Who's to say Luck doesn't fall off the Map next season?

Lockers accuracy has ALWAYS been an issue. The fact that some people thought locker going to the #1 pick last year means nothing. Sure, he May have been selected 1, but in all likelyhood he wouldn't have been. There was a very high % of the "professionals" that thought locker was a 2nd 3rd round talent last year. That's not the case with Luck. We can never say for sure if Luck would've been the 1st pick this year, but the NFL world would've been shocked if he wasn't. He's a polished qb right now. Who knows if that will translate in the NFL. But he is polished. Not something Jake Locker has ever been to this point in his career.

You do know theres a difference between a spread option and a spread offense right? :rolleyes:

The spread option is a play in the spread offense and the spread offense is an offense.

Maybe I am reading your comment wrong but it seems that you think the spread option is an entirely different offensive scheme, when it is actually just a play run out of the spread.

The spread option is a play in the spread offense and the spread offense is an offense.

Maybe I am reading your comment wrong but it seems that you think the spread option is an entirely different offensive scheme, when it is actually just a play run out of the spread.

There is a difference if you want to make it one, from the "spread offense" and the "Spread option" offense. But only a short list of schools run the spread option, so it's pretty dumb for Dre whatzername to ask how many successful QBs ever came out of the Spread option. Florida, Auburn, Oregon, West Virginia (lately but not in the future) Michigan, etc. Most of the good QBs from these schools were drafted high so scouts don't think it's a big deal, although a couple were busts. Orgeon's Donald Dixon plays in the NFL and may be very good. Tebow did and he was drafted #1 (and would be a GREAT prospect if his throwing mechanics were good. Pat White was drafted in the second. Newton will be taken in the first.

In this 2009 article it lists 48 colleges that play some version of the spread, and nine are listed as spread option.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4327427

The word is getting around..

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/266790-newton-to-bills-at-no-3?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

Check out the replies. "Teams tend to do stupid things when they're desperate"

Yeah, the guy who posted that comment is some Texas jagoff that hates on Buffalo through the entire comments section. He also posted "LOL! Might as well be going to Siberia." about Newton coming to Buffalo.