What Is A Good Sized LB ??

T master

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's what it takes to "get it up" for game time. I don't care as long as they explode on the opposing QB.

:nana:

New nickname: the money shot? He should be on our o line....

If we get him in Rd 1, and the best DE, or DT(and kick kw to end) left in rd 2 I won't be sad. It seems there's a ton of value on the dline around 34. We will see tho.

My comments on the DraftTek mock about to be released, where we pick Quinn:

"Buddy Nix said the other day that he liked the Bills OLB's. Sure, they have Kelsay and Maybin, and get a hospital ward full of LB's back -- Coleman, Moats, Merriman, Ellison, Torbor-- but aren't you still feeling like the skinny kid at the beach? The finely-chiseled 270 lb. Quinn has sick pass rush ability (I liked the last NC pass rusher a lot) to match athletic rush and coverage skills that have improved steadily. The still-humble Quinn, who coach Butch Davis calls "The Beast", can line up as a DE or OLB, much the same way Peppers was used. Von Miller will have to bulk up to get 20 lbs. lighter than Quinn. Quinn will dominate the combine. And would you rather have a Beast, a Von, or a Prince?"

Quinn will clean up at the combine. He broke Peppers' 40 yard dash record for LB's at NC, and will eclipse 4.50 there. The NC safety Deunta Williams says they call Quinn "Hercules". One of the 49'er analysts said Quinn will be "a clone to Dwight Freeney - only bigger, faster, and stronger."

I think a 3-4 would wear Von Miller down; that's my opinion. Von Miller is a good 4-3 selection, and less so a 3-4 selection. Either way, he may be good, but he won't be an every-down LB. I actually have Aldon Smith ahead of Miller as my personal #2 OLB choice, with Miller 3rd.

I agree man. REALLY early to make the call but Quinn has been my guy for a while. I am no college expert but the scouting report seems to say he is what we need and he has SIZE! This could be a stroke of luck for us. Since he didn't play his junior year he should be available to us at #3. Who knows? If he played his junior year and continued the trend it is within the realm of possibility that he could have been gone by #2.

By the measureables he would seem to be a perfect fit for the 3-4 OLB, 4 - 3 DE hybrid role. If this guy actually played in 2010 I think he would easily be a top 5 lock. Who knows, after the combine, if he blows it up, he could still end up an "expert" pick top 5 lock.

OLBs can be effective at Von Millers weight. Maybe he can put on some weight, maybe he can't like Maybin. Maybe he will be effective, maybe he won't like Maybin. Unfair comparison so far I know. I still think that Quinn is a more solid pick who performed well in BOTH his senior and freshman year once he got the start. How amazing could this guy be if he is still a top 8 pick and didn't take the field last year. This could be the deal of the century for us.

Patrick Willis is the best linebacker in the NFL and he's 6'1" 240lbs.

He plays inside backer.

Lots of positions aren't interchangeable. An end can't always play tackle, a safety and a corner - very different, inside and rush backer also not the same.

Patrick Willis is the best linebacker in the NFL and he's 6'1" 240lbs.

And thats one of the reasons people say Von Miller might have to play ILB in the NFL, if he can.

Also Patrick Willis was imo more highly regarded coming out of college, and he went #11 that year and the first LB off the board. (I only wish he went #12 that year)

It kind of gives you an idea of where the best LBs are usually taken and why taking Von Miller at #3 in the draft goes against 15 years of draft decisions.

Finding big, athletic bodies, with a High Football IQ is harder to do and worth the risk.

Edited by Why So Serious?

My comments on the DraftTek mock about to be released, where we pick Quinn:

"Buddy Nix said the other day that he liked the Bills OLB's. Sure, they have Kelsay and Maybin, and get a hospital ward full of LB's back -- Coleman, Moats, Merriman, Ellison, Torbor-- but aren't you still feeling like the skinny kid at the beach? The finely-chiseled 270 lb. Quinn has sick pass rush ability (I liked the last NC pass rusher a lot) to match athletic rush and coverage skills that have improved steadily. The still-humble Quinn, who coach Butch Davis calls "The Beast", can line up as a DE or OLB, much the same way Peppers was used. Von Miller will have to bulk up to get 20 lbs. lighter than Quinn. Quinn will dominate the combine. And would you rather have a Beast, a Von, or a Prince?"

Quinn will clean up at the combine. He broke Peppers' 40 yard dash record for LB's at NC, and will eclipse 4.50 there. The NC safety Deunta Williams says they call Quinn "Hercules". One of the 49'er analysts said Quinn will be "a clone to Dwight Freeney - only bigger, faster, and stronger."

I think a 3-4 would wear Von Miller down; that's my opinion. Von Miller is a good 4-3 selection, and less so a 3-4 selection. Either way, he may be good, but he won't be an every-down LB. I actually have Aldon Smith ahead of Miller as my personal #2 OLB choice, with Miller 3rd.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Did Nix say he just liked our LBs or that he liked Quinn too?

In today's world do guys ever really add muscle? How many of these college athletes can actually add muscle to their frame without juice? And even if they do add twenty pounds there is no way that doesn't affect their quickness. In addition to not drafting guys that haven't played their projected position in the NFL, how about we just draft guys that are all grow'd up???

Seriously? These are are young men who could easily put that much on there frame without juice. With all the trainers, supplements, diet and a team full of assistants it is not that hard at all. Here is a good article from Tnation that shows what many of the top guys are doing http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/too_much_muscle_the_glenn_pendlay_secret

Seriously? These are are young men who could easily put that much on there frame without juice. With all the trainers, supplements, diet and a team full of assistants it is not that hard at all. Here is a good article from Tnation that shows what many of the top guys are doing http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/too_much_muscle_the_glenn_pendlay_secret

I guess Texas A&M has one dumbbell and the Internet doesn't work there.

Jeremy Beal in 2nd or 3rd has 95% the same potential as Von Miller.

I can't understand how anyone that's watched both players can make that statement. Beal is nowhere near as fast or as fluid an athlete as Miller. You're also talking about the difference between 20 sacks in 27 games (Beal) versus 28 sacks in 20 games (Miller), so there's a pretty significant difference in production (versus common opponents).

I just don't get the fascination with VM. I wish somebody can explain it to me without talking about Mike Mayock.

It's this simple: best pass rusher over the last 2 years in college football, playing in one of the best offensive conferences in college football. Came back to school after a dominant junior season to work on his coverage skills, and showed improvement in them his senior season. Produced as a senior despite coming off of an injury and being the focal point for opposing offensive blocking schemes.

Also happens to have played the very position (rush LB in a 3-4) that he'd be playing for Buffalo and had great success.

Just as a point of reference the GMs and coaches of actual NFL teams that actually make picks in the NFL have only drafted 3 LBs in the Top 5 since 1996

1996 #2 Kevin Hardy LB

2006 #4 A.J. Hawk LB

2009 #4 Aaron Curry LB

Don't forget about 1999 LaVar Arrington (#2 overall)...also, how many teams do you think would go back and draft a DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, James Harrison, etc. in the top 5 instead of guys like Dewayne Robertson, Robert Gallery, Charles Rogers, etc. if they knew then what they know now?

Beal is already 6'3" 260 why not get the already NFL sized player. Who knows if Miller still has that speed and quickness with 18 extra pounds on him.

There's no way to know for sure if Miller will retain his quickness or agility with added weight, but that's no reason to take a bigger guy that already doesn't have the quickness or agility to play the position.

By missing a year. Just like Dez Bryant probably dropped 10-15 spots.

Dez dropped because of his diva attitude and nobody wanted to deal with his "issues." Nothing to do with missing a year or anything else.

As to people who question size out of college. I'm not worried about player's size coming out of college. NOBODY should really look too much into it. The real question is his frame and how well he can hold his weight. You want someone with a big frame that can always add weight at the next level. Some players have the ability to just gain 10-20 lbs of muscle in a year easily. Others like Maybin will have difficulty to do so. Prime example of this was Urlacher who was roughly 6'3" 235 coming out of college, but showed up to the combine at 255.

I can't understand how anyone that's watched both players can make that statement. Beal is nowhere near as fast or as fluid an athlete as Miller. You're also talking about the difference between 20 sacks in 27 games (Beal) versus 28 sacks in 20 games (Miller), so there's a pretty significant difference in production (versus common opponents).

There's no way to know for sure if Miller will retain his quickness or agility with added weight, but that's no reason to take a bigger guy that already doesn't have the quickness or agility to play the position.

I have watched them both play.

Thats a pretty bold statement.

Its funny that you push passed Beal's production? So 20 sacks in 2 years is nothing, but 28 is something. Interesting . . .

Did you watch the Senior Bowl?

Quick question how many sacks did Beal get in the Senior Bowl against mostly NFL quality talent?

What specifically makes you say that Beal can't play the position?

There are great options for LBs in the 2-3rd round? That have a great track record.

Who can you get in the 3rd round that is an athletic 300lb sideline to sideline DT\DE with proven pass rush, and pocket collapsing ability?

I have watched them both play.

Thats a pretty bold statement.

Its funny that you push passed Beal's production? So 20 sacks in 2 years is nothing, but 28 is something. Interesting . . .

Did you watch the Senior Bowl?

Quick question how many sacks did Beal get in the Senior Bowl against mostly NFL quality talent?

What specifically makes you say that Beal can't play the position?

There are great options for LBs in the 2-3rd round? That have a great track record.

Who can you get in the 3rd round that is an athletic 300lb sideline to sideline DT\DE with proven pass rush, and pocket collapsing ability?

It's my opinion...I don't think Beal is well-suited to play in a 3-4 defense. I think his strongest attribute is rushing the passer from the 9-technique.

I don't remember saying that "20 sacks in 2 years is nothing"; I believe what I said was that 20 sacks in 27 games (0.74 sacks/game) is significantly different from 28 sacks in 20 games (1.4 sacks/game). With precisely what part of that statement do you take exception?

Regarding the Senior Bowl, as I said, I don't feel that Beal fits as a 3-4 rush LB. He's a good pass rusher, but he's not a fluid athlete like Miller. He looks stiff when changing directions, and if I notice it when he's defending the run from the DE position, I have to believe it'll get exposed quickly in pass coverage as an OLB.

As for 300 lb DTs with "proven track records", I find it funny that you're asking me this, since you discredit Miller's college production as meaningless in comparison to what he'll need to do in the NFL. Nevertheless, my opinion on 2nd-3rd round DTs that fit Buffalo's scheme? Here are a few that I like:

Phil Taylor - will go somewhere between picks 25 and 40 is my guess; could play NT in a 3-4 or DT in a 4-3.

Muhammad Wilkerson - another early 2nd round pick; love him as a potential 3-4 end.

Christian Ballard - mid-2nd or early 3rd round pick; overshadowed a bit my Adrian Clayborne, but may be a better NFL prospect.

Jerrell Powe - potential 3-4 NT type that doesn't light up the stat sheet, but can occupy blockers and anchor down.

Those are just my thoughts though; who, pray tell, can you say is a proven DT that goes 300 lbs and can go sideline-to-sideline, rush the passer, and collapse the pocket in the NFL?

Edited by thebandit27

I have been very pro Von Miller because his performance alone speaks for itself. Many are very critical of his size and I can see the logic but when people say he cannot play the run, they are plain and simple wrong. Everyone is aware of his sack totals but does anyone realize that he also has 21 tackles for a loss as a junior? As a senior he had 17.5 tackles for a loss, in a 3-4 defense and he missed 4 games that year.

That being said, I am also warming up to the idea of having a guy like Quinn. Yea, yea I know he missed his entire Senior season but damn his junior season was impressive.

Does size matter? Of course it does, but people need to look a little deeper into that aspect. Take a look at our roster last year at the DE position. Dwan Edward listed at 6'3" 290lbs and Marcus Stroud listed at 6'6" 310lbs are huge DEs. I ask how is it possible that our run defense was so poor with all of that beef up front? These guys are big, strong and slow. Size can be a problem not just from a "too small" point of view but also from a "too big" point of view. These big guys must not only be able to play "north and south", they also need to be able to shift laterally to make a play and they were absolutely terrible last year at that. In those positions a combination of strength and speed are very important.

Edited by Rockinon

Dez dropped because of his diva attitude and nobody wanted to deal with his "issues." Nothing to do with missing a year or anything else.

As to people who question size out of college. I'm not worried about player's size coming out of college. NOBODY should really look too much into it. The real question is his frame and how well he can hold his weight. You want someone with a big frame that can always add weight at the next level. Some players have the ability to just gain 10-20 lbs of muscle in a year easily. Others like Maybin will have difficulty to do so. Prime example of this was Urlacher who was roughly 6'3" 235 coming out of college, but showed up to the combine at 255.

Fair enough on dez - my math put it that he and crabtree were both possibly the most talented player in there draft. Crabtree a diva, Dez a diva that missed a year. Crab dropped to 10, Dez dropped another 10. Certainly not science.

As for size - I guess my argument is VM had 4 years in a big program. Quinn put up those numbers after two. If one is more likely to get bigger stronger and faster.... Doesn't initial logic say Quinn?

Also, like was said why get the big guy who is already slow when you can get miller and hope he doesnt lose speed--- why get miller who is smaller and possibly slower when you can get the big strong fast guy. As much as I'd love a zach Thomas or London Fletcher on this team (undersized gamers).... Imagine adding a freeney or a guy that is stronger and considerably faster then Julius peppers.

Where miller would have to overachieve, Quinn could just be average for a guy with his body and be just as good if not better.

Edited by NoSaint