National Anthem

Toledo Bill

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done - i stand corrected. Whether Aguilera is treasonous treasonist or a traitor or turncoat for flubbing a lyric is an important question to consider, and my embarrassing illiteracy will certainly kill the debate.

My apologies to the entire pack of ornery moderators and their precious offended granddaughters for my insolence and limited vocabulary.

If there was a shred of sincereity in your apology, I'd say it wasn't necessary.. In fact, I owe further description. Grandgirl & I had no issue with the flub -though she noticed it. Anyone can make a mistake -as you've shown. No, It was Courtney Lovewannabe's assasination of the Anthem's melody while yelling and screeching, that drew my patriotic ire.

Artistic liberty my aXX!

she has a hell of a voice! hell of a face! i love her!

i thought it was SUPER great. she actually gave me watery eyes. one of the steeler guys shed a tear. why? she has pipes and she wowed him too. wife and me were like, "damn she's good"

the halftime performance was awesome too. ive seen the black eyed peas with slash before when i saw u2 last year at the rosebowl. fergie was a little off. i'll admit that. but the stage arrangements were impressive. usher did his omg song, which i love. he's a great dancer.

you guys are too damn picky and critical!

some of the other halftime performances of the past have been very bland and frankly boring. at least this year's halftime show was a spectacle. at least A for effort.

last thing. superbowl = fail...... what the hell???? i know the bills didnt make it. but what are you expecting????

Lots of focus on the style in which she sang the song. And there is no doubt i agree with those who are frustrated by the unnecessary, self-loving riffs she felt compelled to do after nearly every word. But what surprised me was the pure lack of vocal talent. i have seen her sing other times and she seemed to have decent chops. Maybe they weren't live performances? I really don't know. But her performance at the Super Bowl was simply brutal, so much so that I didn't realize she flubbed the words on top of it.

Whitney Houston's performance was incredible, and if it was a lip-sync job, I'm okay with it. The entire rendition, including the orchestration, was spine chilling.

First of all I can't sing a note on key and unlike most pop stars I don't pretend that I can. But I can read music and the song that Aguilera sang last night does not resemble the Star Spangled Banner. The addition of her own convulsive inflections are just not there nor should they be. There are two reasons for this. 1) She does not have the vocal talent to sing the relatively demanding song. She is a POP singer and her own vocals never hit the human ear. They are heavily processed to reduce the abnormalities of her voice and make them sound the same every time. The talent is of the engineers that made the equipment. 2) She made the performance about her and not about the patriotic experience of performing the National Anthem at one of the country's biggest sporting event of the year.

As to America the Beautiful for the national anthem. You'll never get God past the ACLU besides the song is more a celebration of the land than the American spirit. Try My Country tis of Thee, which was the defacto anthem until the politicians got involved and appointed the Star Spangled Banner the anthem. IMO a better representative of what makes the US and Americans unique.

By the way. Whitney Houston couldn't read music either. She was better at adding her own inflections so they weren't quite so obnoxious. And when she did deviate she didn't change half an octave at a time, she changed a note or two. Best idea i've heard was to bring in a chorus from the military service to perform. My own idea would be to hold auditions in the local area to find someone to sing it.

Never get god past the ACLU? Ray Charles has performed America, the Beautiful at numerous sporting events including the superbowl, but dont let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy fantasy. The ACLU represents both conservative and liberal civil liberty issues. Case in point, their defense of students who were disciplined for wearing anti-abortion t-shirts.

I'm not sure what Ray Charles performing America the Beautiful has to do with my point. The point is that, at this point in time, America the Beautiful will never be the "sanctioned" anthem of the US due to the fact that it contains the word god in it. The ACLU and, if it makes you feel better you can throw several other organizations in with it, would never let it be approved because in today's twisted logic on the meaning of the separation of church and state the government could never pass a resolution sanctioning America as the national anthem because it has the word god (aka religion) in it. Lawsuit after lawsuit would be brought to prevent that from happening.

I wasn't making a statement as to whether it was a liberal or conservative point of view but it is their point of view. I'm also not sure what the abortion debate has to do with it either.

Never get god past the ACLU? Ray Charles has performed America, the Beautiful at numerous sporting events including the superbowl, but dont let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy fantasy. The ACLU represents both conservative and liberal civil liberty issues. Case in point, their defense of students who were disciplined for wearing anti-abortion t-shirts.

I'm not sure what Ray Charles performing America the Beautiful has to do with my point. The point is that, at this point in time, America the Beautiful will never be the "sanctioned" anthem of the US due to the fact that it contains the word god in it. The ACLU and, if it makes you feel better you can throw several other organizations in with it, would never let it be approved because in today's twisted logic on the meaning of the separation of church and state the government could never pass a resolution sanctioning America as the national anthem because it has the word god (aka religion) in it. Lawsuit after lawsuit would be brought to prevent that from happening.

I wasn't making a statement as to whether it was a liberal or conservative point of view but it is their point of view. I'm also not sure what the abortion debate has to do with it either.

You brought up America, the Beautiful and god, not me. Read your post. In god we trust is the national motto and is on our currency. Its been that way for years, sorry but god isnt under attack in America in 2011. Quick tidbit---I work in the food industry and regularly visit restaurants and schools and American legions and VFWs. I walk down the halls in the school on the way to the cafeteria and hear/see the kids saying the pledge of allegiance in the morning. Then in the afternoon I'll be in the legion or VFW and have some old guy tell me the kids aren't allowed to say it anymore in school when I heard and saw it just hours ago. I try and politely tell the guy he's wrong, but he doesnt believe me and he probably hasnt set foot in a school in 40 years. His mind is made up, facts be damned, and I walk away just shaking my head, just like I am now.

I posted "You'll never get God past the ACLU" to which it appears you've taken exception to. In fact the ACLU opposed adding "under God" to the pledge and making "In God we Trust" our national motto in 1954 and 1956 respectively. Try googleing ACLU and "The Pledge of Allegiance" or ACLU and "In God we Trust" and you will get some more recent examples of the ACLU's position on these topics.

I have to say you are correct though. The ACLU has opposed and failed to prevent the use of God in the national motto and the pledge. Therefore it might be possible to get America the beautiful appointed as the national anthem in spite of the objections of the ACLU.

Have a nice walk.

You brought up America, the Beautiful and god, not me. Read your post. In god we trust is the national motto and is on our currency. Its been that way for years, sorry but god isnt under attack in America in 2011. Quick tidbit---I work in the food industry and regularly visit restaurants and schools and American legions and VFWs. I walk down the halls in the school on the way to the cafeteria and hear/see the kids saying the pledge of allegiance in the morning. Then in the afternoon I'll be in the legion or VFW and have some old guy tell me the kids aren't allowed to say it anymore in school when I heard and saw it just hours ago. I try and politely tell the guy he's wrong, but he doesnt believe me and he probably hasnt set foot in a school in 40 years. His mind is made up, facts be damned, and I walk away just shaking my head, just like I am now.

My understanding of the legal situation and the ACLU operates in this reality that it is pretty well accepted that it is not simply the word God that folks have problems with, it is using it in a manner contrary to the Constitution and the state establishing a religious belief with it.

It is well founded law that used of the word God such as In God we Trust being on the dollar bill actually are pretty devoid of religious meaning. In fact, the constant and rote us of language which bow toward the general phrase of God but really do not describe any particular belief or practice are well accepted by the Supreme Court as an allowed reality.

There still is that anti-constitutional concern of the ceremonial use of phrases like in God We Trust even if it does not have the state endorsing a particular religion does have the state (even if merely in a ceremonial way establish a belief in a Supreme Being.

It's exactly because of this dynamic that I for one am glad the ACLU is there. Even in cases where I disagree with their specific stances like when they defended the Nazi's right to assemble peaceably and march in a taxpayer supported march in the predominantly Jewish community of Skokie, IL, I definitely opposed the specific ACLU action but I was happy to see someone is out there doggedly fighting for the words of the US Constitution which makes this country so great!

I posted "You'll never get God past the ACLU" to which it appears you've taken exception to. In fact the ACLU opposed adding "under God" to the pledge and making "In God we Trust" our national motto in 1954 and 1956 respectively. Try googleing ACLU and "The Pledge of Allegiance" or ACLU and "In God we Trust" and you will get some more recent examples of the ACLU's position on these topics.

I have to say you are correct though. The ACLU has opposed and failed to prevent the use of God in the national motto and the pledge. Therefore it might be possible to get America the beautiful appointed as the national anthem in spite of the objections of the ACLU.

Have a nice walk.

Who cares? Can we please get back to bashing Christina for being a slutty no talent hack?

Sure thing, chief:

There's an ornery Tomcat that loves to visit my yard whenever he gets in heat, and that bastage yowls from dusk till dawn outside my window. Drives me freakin' nuts. At one point I was seriously considering taking a gun out there with the understanding that by sun-up only one of us wouldn't have a bullet in his head...

...and I'd rather listen to that fugger every night than Christina Aguilera .

http://deadspin.com/#!5754336/christina-aguilera-is-an-anti+american-slut-according-to-pro+american-internet-commenters

Which of you guys posted these comments on that Fox article?

Wait, all of you?

Her performance was a disgrace to the anthum! I sat here in Dallas and knew as soon as she struck the stance that she did, sloughed to one side, opposite leg bent, that this was not going to be good. Did ya all see the lipstick on this pig?? Just acts like a $lut every chance she gets. She is a girl loving girl rhnking about girls and this is what you get from a pervert. This is what happens when you hire a former Disney miniwhore. Just because a person can sing loud doesn't mean sounds good. she was ad-lib-ing so much. Will someone please informer her that she is a white woman.

WHY NOT JUST HAVE THE PEOPLE ATTENDING THE GAME DO THE SINGING? DO WE NEED ALL THIS "HOLLYWOOD" GLAMOUR ? Is she from the hate America crowd? I wonder how much the other liberals paid her to s crew the song up? I bet she knows all of the words to the Obama Song.

It might be a good idea to check her immigration status, maybe she screwed up because she wasn't raise here to learn it. Does she know the Mexican National anthem? Is she an American? If memory serves, she's not an American. she should be in jail. I CRY FOR AMERICA!!!!!! I USE CAPS BECAUSE I HAVE GLAUCOMA.

Besides screwing up the words, can the NFL please... PLEASE get someone that sings it in the manner in which it is supposed to be sung. I know I am possibly being old fashioned, but come on! You get a guy like the one that sang the anthem at the two Chicago playoff games... now that will be patriotic!!!!!!

What is with all the complaining.

The whole NFL fan base forgives M Vick and wants to hang someone who messed up a few words in a song...

This is sick

I guess if she submits herself into rehab or jail all is forgiven.

I can probably speak for numerous other fans, but that is probably the 2nd worst national anthem singer ever, it just doesnt sound good.

He sounds good, but why are the fans cheering throughout the whole thing?!?