Have folks seen a better stiff arm than Mcgahee's?

One of the neat things for me about sports is that despite too much watching of sports over the years (at least from my wife's perspective) I often see something I have nevetr seen before.

This brings me to WM's use of the stiff arm. Obviously I have seen this tool used lots of times and it is a standard tool for good backs. However, I can't remember seeing anyone use it as well as consistently as WM.

Having seen some of the best over the years particular plays stick out from time to time, but I have never seen a player employ it so much and so well that there is some singular replay if him using it at least once virtually each and every game.

Yesterday, he went on a sweep around the right side and some Cleveland player came into range and WM simply put him down and cruised aroundthe corner.

My favorite this year was a game in which an opponent hit him out of bounds and my heart went to my throat as he had to go to the sideline for treatment. Yet, he not only reappeared to play, but on a sweep stiff-armed the same idiot who hit him late and knocked the idiot out of the game with an injury from the vicious stiff arm.

I look forward to the media focusing on this skill and putting together a best of WM stiff arms tape. He really is one of the best, if not the best i have ever seen at this skill.

I've been surprised at how muscular he is. His arms are thick. I didn't think he was all that big (strong) in college but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

By the way, why does he wear a flak jacket around his ribs? makes him look extra chunky.

I sat next to a guy yesterday who swares that Travis Henry is far better with the stiff arm than Willis!!!?

158587[/snapback]

The difference is that Travis hits his guy in the shoulder while Willis hits him in the helmet.

True Willis is awesome with his stiff arm, but i will say i think Travis' was a little better. It could be because i have seen more runs from TH and therefore more 'pancake' stiff arms than what Willis has done so far...

Actually to me they are similar runners, if different sized. Both are tough to bring down and make good YAC. Seems that though Willis is sometimes hesitant behind the line to pick and hit a hole, he does better with making something out of nothing than TH did, at least this year....

i've never seen a better stiffarm. dillon has a good one, but he doesn't seem to use it as often as willis. willis is one strong dude, and you can see him flinging people away. Are his arms long or something? people just can't get inside him....

True Willis is awesome with his stiff arm, but i will say i think Travis' was a little better. It could be because i have seen more runs from TH and therefore more 'pancake' stiff arms than what Willis has done so far...

Actually to me they are similar runners, if different sized. Both are tough to bring down and make good YAC. Seems that though Willis is sometimes hesitant behind the line to pick and hit a hole, he does better with making something out of nothing than TH did, at least this year....

158598[/snapback]

I also regard the stiff arm as a Travis Henry tool which I generally remember him having used with greater effectiveness than the norm from time to time. What makes WM's use of it different in my view is that I rarely if ever have seen an RB use it as consistently and with the devastating impact WM does.

I generally and vaguely remember TH as having used it very effectively from time to time, and it does not strike me as irrational that someone might judge TH to have a better stiff arm than WM if you are measuring the best of in terms of comparing individual single uses. Howebver, the thing which separates WM in my mind is that it is a weapon which he uses not only with devastating impact, but uses it effectively in almost every game he plays.

I think it someone wanted to study what in particular makes this such an effective WM tool, there would be several factors to look at and you tell me what's important in the real world in terms of the effectiveness of his usage:

1. He realy fools people as to when it is coming- Many folks remark that WM runs flat-footed like a FB rather than on his toes like many scatbacks and RBs. Thus, he covers ground quicker than folks estimate and it would not surprise me if part of the effectiveness of his stiff arm is that he hits opponents with it before they have steeled themselves to take a hit, It may be more effective and he may be hurting folks with it because they are off-balance or having steeled themselves for the blow.

2. He targets the stiff arm well- I have not looked at the tapes on this, but it may well make a difference in how effective this shot is depending upon whether it hits the opponent in the face, in the shoulder, at the center of gravity or some other point. One thing great about WMs natural running style is his patience and ability to hit the chosen hole quickly. Just as he picks a spot to run to he may also have excellent skills at sizing up an opponent and stiff-arming him at just the right point and just the right time to increase his running effectiveness, knock down the opponebt and in fact to hurt him.

3. He's a bigger boy than perceived- The normal thinking is that quick guys tend to be smaller and WM weighs in at 230+ which gets up near FB range, The greater weight and muscle development appears to be in his upper body and apparently he justs packs a powerful punch.

I don'y know what the explanation is. but his stiff-arm is fantastic. I look forward to word spreading about this weapon as the national media begins to take interest and opponents never even touching him as they are so worried about the stiff arm that they forget to run as fast they can to catch him.

Watch tapes of Jim Brown. I never saw him play, but from what I have seen on film, he is by far the best runner ever, and he knocked people into next week with his stiff arm.

As for comparisons between WM and Travis, please! Willis has faster hands, AND he is running faster. He is also just as strong, if not stronger.

It amazes me how Drew has so many detractors and Henry has so many fans on this board. The records indicate that Henry was a major portion of the problem with the Buffalo Bills football team.

I further the motion to nominate Sweetness as his vicious stiffarm is second to none that I've ever seen.

Jamla Anderson was also another guy who immediately jumped to mind, as was Corey Dillon.

I'd also mention Emmit Smith. While his didn't have the obvious brute impact carried by the others', he used it magnificently. It was a subtle and effective weapon which stealthily did its job before disappearing as quickly as it had appeared.

I also recall Bo brutally planting a couple guys on his way to getting the corner.

Oh what could have been....... ;)

Cya

Walter Payton is a good thought to bring to mind. I'm somewhat embarassed actually as I spent my first 18 years in Chicago (I was actually at the game when a hit from Kermit Alexander blew out Sayers' knee speaking of RBs with good stiff arms and better moves so he didn't need it as much). I think Sweetness had so many things he could use (speed, quickness, touhness, etc.) that his stiff arm never stood out for me because everything was great.

One of my favorite stories which is a testament to his strength and balance was that he once raced a guy in a 50 yard dash. Payton barely lost, but it was marvelous because the other guy ran it on his legs and Payton did his 50 yards on his hands.

Guest Guesteroo
Watch tapes of Jim Brown. I never saw him play, but from what I have seen on film, he is by far the best runner ever, and he knocked people into next week with his stiff arm.

As for comparisons between WM and Travis, please! Willis has faster hands, AND he is running faster. He is also just as strong, if not stronger.

It amazes me how Drew has so many detractors and Henry has so many fans on this board. The records indicate that Henry was a major portion of the problem with the Buffalo Bills football team.

158828[/snapback]

Absolutely. I can't agree more. It amazes me the number of people on this board who STILL think TH is better than Willis. It is no coincidence that this team starting winning and the offense started scoring when Willis became the starter. TH was doing absolutely nothing before he got hurt. And this just in folks: The offensive line hasn't been overhauled during the season. . . It's the same group of guys! They're looking better because of Willis, not vice-versa.