No CBA might benefit Buffalo's Draft

I just read on BuffaloRumblings an article related to how the unsettled CBA could alter the normal tendencies in the draft. Basically, it said that if the CBA wasn't settled by then, not only would we be going into the draft prior to F.A. - which is backwards in itself, but we'd also be looking at, potentially, a reduced season, limited offseason workouts and practices. All of this points to an adapted approach - I think especially for the teams in contention, or on the cusp of the playoffs - by the teams to look for the most NFL ready players who'd need as little coaching as possible - thereby lowering the stock of some players who might be most athletically gifted, but who would, under normal circumstances need coaching up - like last years Pierre Paul to the Giants - and raise the stock of players who aren't as gifted, but who are fundamentally sound.

What I though of when I read this was: if some of the more gifted athletes fall a little because of the short season - well, we weren't probably planning on going all the way this year, anyway (as much as I hate to think we'd ever not plan on a SB), so our team might see the value in picking up these rare sliders - in effect, giving us, maybe, the better talent at the expense of patience? Just a thought - hope, if the draft does change in this way, that we have the forsight to take advantage of it - my philosophy on the draft: draft it's strenghts, take what the universe gives you.

Yeah, we need to stop drafting guys who are ready to step in and play like Mike Williams, Willis McGahee, JP Losman, Roscoe Parrish, John McCargo, James Hardy, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Maybin and CJ Spiller and draft a project instead. :wallbash:

Edited by Scraps

It might make sense. However, how does it benefit the Bills? The OBD assclowns can't draft worth schitt given a constant set of paramenters. Now throw in the components suggested and OBD is totally lost. Instead of them normally throwing darts at a target 10 feet away, and barely making contact on the edges, the target is now half the size and they have to throw from 10 feet further back.

What I though of when I read this was: if some of the more gifted athletes fall a little because of the short season - well, we weren't probably planning on going all the way this year, anyway (as much as I hate to think we'd ever not plan on a SB), so our team might see the value in picking up these rare sliders - in effect, giving us, maybe, the better talent at the expense of patience? Just a thought - hope, if the draft does change in this way, that we have the forsight to take advantage of it - my philosophy on the draft: draft it's strenghts, take what the universe gives you.

The thing is, isn't this how the Bills have historically drafted, including 2010? Not only did Spiller turn out to be a project, but Sisyphean Bills made the excellent point that all of our D choices are projects - Troup and Carrington needing to develop for DL, Batten and Moats needing to learn a whole new position transitioning from DE to LB. Our Wang is a project. Someone else in another thread made the point that the Bills draft players like many women choose men - expecting to be able to change them into what we want or need.

Perhaps we need to stop expecting those talented sliders to develop into what we need, and start selecting players who actually are what we need?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/2/1969897/2011-nfl-draft-will-labor-issue-lead-to-surprise-picks

Sorry.

After I read the article, I wasn't thinking long term - like 2-3 year projects, rather, if there were a slight difference in prospects that would make a few guys fall into the second that might otherwise get taken in the first... you know, after I read the responses on this post, though, it makes a lot of sense to stay away from players who cannot help us rather quickly, and without having to hope they reach that point.

It is amazing, when I look at last year's draft in that light, how just about everyone was a project. Not that that isn't obvious. It seems that either our staff was drafting guys they thought would develop, eventually, better than the more obvious choices, or they thought they were smarter than all the other teams. It is disturbing to think we could have gotten these guys, maybe, a round later apiece. Then again, if they all turn out good we'll think back and say they were smarter than most - because the experts have given us a pretty bad grade on that draft.

Thing is - good teams draft for more then 6 months out typically. If you are picking at 26 and need that guy to be a day one starter something has gone terribly wrong. Or you are Seattle!

At those spots you are looking at playoff teams assembling talent for the long term.

Just for reference (going offhand) nola, minny and NYJ all took nicklebacks, Indy drafted a 3rd DE - for the final four teams last year. Keep in mind these teams couldn't even chase FAs last year and the still drafted depth.

Edited by NoSaint

The thing is, isn't this how the Bills have historically drafted, including 2010? Not only did Spiller turn out to be a project, but Sisyphean Bills made the excellent point that all of our D choices are projects - Troup and Carrington needing to develop for DL, Batten and Moats needing to learn a whole new position transitioning from DE to LB. Our Wang is a project. Someone else in another thread made the point that the Bills draft players like many women choose men - expecting to be able to change them into what we want or need.

Perhaps we need to stop expecting those talented sliders to develop into what we need, and start selecting players who actually are what we need?

Other than Suh and Matthews, not many rooks on DL or LB make a big impact in their first year. BJ Raji didn't and he's looking good now. Ngata didn't set the world on fire early on as well. To call Troup and Carrington a project at this point is just wrong. We should expect good things from them this season if there is a season.

Other than Suh and Matthews, not many rooks on DL or LB make a big impact in their first year. BJ Raji didn't and he's looking good now. Ngata didn't set the world on fire early on as well. To call Troup and Carrington a project at this point is just wrong. We should expect good things from them this season if there is a season.

I hope you're right! And this is one case I believe you are. Typically rookies that will develope will flash their potential they're first year. Like Steve Johnson in his rookie year. Troup and Carrington both showed flashes, something Spiller IMHO did not. :(

I think having the draft before benefits all of the teams in the nfl. That way they can draft whomever they want then use fa to fill the holes on the team instead of plugging in holes then figuring out who to draft needing to fill holes with unproven players

People here typically post links to items they are referencing in a thread.

They also typically treat others with respect. Ever heard of it?

In the time he took to type that response he could have looked it up. The OP referenced the site it originated on and imo that is enough.

I don't respect lazy people.

In the time he took to type that response he could have looked it up. The OP referenced the site it originated on and imo that is enough.

I don't respect lazy people.

Do you realize that in the time it took you to post your drivle you could have posted the link?

Mr. Spiller will benifit our team in big ways for years to come. Stop bad mouthing "Our Team" for this pick. He will shine in the next season of football. He was a great pick as well as a surprise and will prove to be an asset to our team. We were not going anywhere this year and he will be with us for the good times.

Come on, almost ALL players in the draft need to "develop" some in the NFL. 21-22 year olds are not fully physically mature

and certainly need to learn the more intricate NFL game. That is in addition to learning to be a "professional". I'll bet that you

were better at your job a year or two after you first got it - why do you expect that to be any different for NFL players?

Edited by OldTimer1960