Blaine Gabbert

major

I am already tired of hearing the so called experts talk about QB Blaine Gabbert. He has done nothing at Mizzou. I would take Newton anyday over Gabbert.

Someone explain to me the upside of Gabbert. I'm just not seeing it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaine Gabbert has led Mizzou to two 10+ win seasons with terrible receivers. (Other than Denario Alexander)

That is a big accomplishment for the Mizzou program. I think he needs to be more decisive on his throws. Otherwise he has all the measurables. Height, weight, arm strength, smarts, scrambling ability. He is everything you would want in a QB. Sometimes he hangs onto the ball way too long, and playing in Mizzou's rediculous spread offense doesn't help either. I really like him, but he definately is not a player the Bills should get at #3.

Since i'm a Mizzou fan, i've watched every game Gabbert has ever played.. that's just my opinion on the guy. Take it as you will.

Edited by Mr. Negative

Blaine Gabbert has led Mizzou to two 10+ win seasons with terrible receivers. (Other than Denario Alexander)

That is a big accomplishment for the Mizzou program. I think he needs to be more decisive on his throws. Otherwise he has all the measurables. Height, weight, arm strength, smarts, scrambling ability. He is everything you would want in a QB. Sometimes he hangs onto the ball way too long, and playing in Mizzou's rediculous spread offense doesn't help either. I really like him, but he definately is not a player the Bills should get at #3.

Since i'm a Mizzou fan, i've watched every game Gabbert has ever played.. that's just my opinion on the guy. Take it as you will.

Since you know a lot more about him than we do, where would he be a good pick? Later first or is he later rounds in your opinion?

I'll take the more polished passer over the gimmick QB any day of the week. Cam Newton doesn't know how to make reads. Nor is he that much of a polished QB. Sorry, but I'll take Gabbert over Newton any day of the week.

They're both raw, but Gabbert has a higher upside than Newton and a shorter distance to get there. To me, not knowing how to read defenses is a big no no, and it's clear that Newton doesn't know how to. He goes with his first read and if its not there, he runs. Doesnt know how to check down. Doesn't know how to run through his 2nd and 3rd options. Just a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by DreReed83

I'll take the more polished passer over the gimmick QB any day of the week. Cam Newton doesn't know how to make reads. Nor is he that much of a polished QB. Sorry, but I'll take Gabbert over Newton any day of the week.

They're both raw, but Gabbert has a higher upside than Newton and a shorter distance to get there. To me, not knowing how to read defenses is a big no no, and it's clear that Newton doesn't know how to. He goes with his first read and if its not there, he runs. Doesnt know how to check down. Doesn't know how to run through his 2nd and 3rd options. Just a disaster waiting to happen.

I disagree with you on Newton. I watched 4-5 of his games this year and the one thing that I liked was that he always seemed to be looking downfield for an open receiver while he was scrambling from the pocket and only once he found no open receivers would he run.

He did not seem to me like a run first QB.

Since you know a lot more about him than we do, where would he be a good pick? Later first or is he later rounds in your opinion?

Mid to late first round would be pretty good value. Even mid first is pushing it. But you know some team will reach on him.

Id love to see what Gabbert can do under center. It looks like Chase Daniel made a nice transition in New Orleans. He looked pretty comfortable in that offense.

I disagree with you on Newton. I watched 4-5 of his games this year and the one thing that I liked was that he always seemed to be looking downfield for an open receiver while he was scrambling from the pocket and only once he found no open receivers would he run.

He did not seem to me like a run first QB.

You obviously weren't watching carefully. He either chucked it to his first read, and then scrambled while staring down his first read. Never does he sit in the pocket calmly and progress through ALL his reads. It's a shame that you don't see this because that's exactly what I see. Sure he is by far the most athletically gifted athlete at QB this year, but that's not gonna cut it.

I've seen a lot of his games and I see things COMPLETELY different.

I haven't seen anything special from Gabbert to what him in a Bills uniform. As far as Cam Newton not going through his progressions, I have to disagree. When he was forced to stay in the pocket he did a really good job picking defenses apart. Sure he likes to run but when it's 3rd and 3 and he runs for 13 or 3rd and 6 and he runs for 20, I'm fine with it. It seems that Newton has the same "It" factor as Tebow. I've learned not to believe everything I read in these forums or from the "experts".

There was a scout interviewed a while back (wish I could remember where I read this...sorry) who said that the Auburn offense requires Newton to perform only TWO reads prior to each snap. It's a very simplified offense that relies heavily on his athletic talent, not his ability to read defenses and/or make adjustments. I think the transition to the pro game will be very, very difficult for this kid.

There was a scout interviewed a while back (wish I could remember where I read this...sorry) who said that the Auburn offense requires Newton to perform only TWO reads prior to each snap. It's a very simplified offense that relies heavily on his athletic talent, not his ability to read defenses and/or make adjustments. I think the transition to the pro game will be very, very difficult for this kid.

That's exactly what I saw. Thanks for bringing that up. He's not going to be able to run around like that at the next level. I hate to tell you.

End of discussion.

I agree with Mad Dog 69 and disagree with DreReed83. I recorded games of a lot of QB that I was interested in including Newton, Luck, Mallett, etc.. and have watched a some of the games 4 -5 times. Newton does go through his reads, he doesn't go through all of them all the time but he does have a good field awareness.

You need to understand the concept of projection. Projecting a run-first, throw-second QB with one starting season in the SEC, albeit with a national title, is not easy. Does he have a good arm? Yes. Does he makes some good throws? Yes? Can he scramble? Yes. Can he stand in and read a defense? No sure. Is he smart enough to handle to position at the NFL level? Not sure. Can he scramble out of trouble at will in the NFL when his first read isn't open and he doesn't have the patience to read his other options? No way, the linebackers are too fast. The bottomline is, you can't fall in love with a one-year wonder with questionable maturity and a very small sample of high level college games. How many other one year wonders were drafted to high and bombed? Too many to count I would offer.

I can't comment on Gabbert. I haven't seen him play but from what I've read, he's played in a pro-style offense (vs. Newton playing in the spread) and has done very well with it from both the mental and physical sides. And he has a larger sample of games played to judge on. The larger the sample, the closer you get to being able to project who he is. The smaller the sample, the more likely you are to over or under-estimate a player when their real abilities might be somewhere between the extremes.

I've said it before here and continue to.... I like Parcells criteria for drafting QBs (based on wins, games, played and graduation) as the starting point. Add in Wonderlic scores and you're in better position to make a good pick with a QB. There is a distinct traits with all SB winning QBs who I have been able to locate Wonderlic scores for, with the exception of one guy... none had scores, if I can recall correctly (have it written down somewhere), less than 22 or so, other than Bradshaw. Basically, every SB winner since 1990 has a score that higher or higher. And my point is, although you might get to the playoffs with some supreme physical talent, the stats seem to indicate that winning one requires some higher intelligence.

Proof: this year's SB QBs have a 35 (Rodgers) and a 25 (Roethlisberger).

Some recent winners, in addition to Roethlisberger, as well

Brady 33

P. Manning 28

E. Manning 39

Brees 28

However, Ryan Leaf had a 27, which is why I said that other factors matter, like Parcells criteria. Leaf bucked Parcells criteria becaus ehe didn't finish college or start and win enough games.

The problem with the QB in the NFL is that there is such a premium on the position that it leads to over-reaction and poor decision making on the parts of teams. So teams are willing to disregard what non-emotional, quantitative analysis says and gamble and it fails more often than not.

Between 2000 and 2010 29 QBs were taken in the NFL. We can call these guys unquestioned busts (1 in 3) through 2007(not enough playing time):

McNown

Carr

Harrington

Ramsey

Boller

Losman

Smith

Leinart

Quinn

Some were serviceable but ultimately didn't/haven't win/won titles or are teetering on bust status

Pennington

Vick

Palmer

Leftwich

Grossman

Rivers

Campbell

Young

Cutler

Rodgers

And these are your title winners

Roethlisberger

E. Manning

If Rodgers wins, that's a SB-winning QB drafted in the first round in 3 of the last 11 drafts. If not, even worse, only 2.

So what this long winded post means is... it's a gamble. Big time. And you have to minimize the risk and not reach in the first round because as history has shown most QBs are drafted too highly.

Take the best lineman and move on!

I agree with Mad Dog 69 and disagree with DreReed83. I recorded games of a lot of QB that I was interested in including Newton, Luck, Mallett, etc.. and have watched a some of the games 4 -5 times. Newton does go through his reads, he doesn't go through all of them all the time but he does have a good field awareness.

1) I disagree with you and Mad Dog69 and agree with ajzepp.

2) Get a life dude. You're not a pro scout.

3) You obviously don't know what you're watching. He has happy feet. First read, balls out. If not he runs. He scrambles around looking to run and not to throw. If he does throw, he just chucks it downfield. Those kinda QB's are the kind of QB's that won't cut it in the NFL. When did Vick start getting better? When he stopped runnig around like an idiot and start making throws.

Decision making: Newton rarely put his receivers in bad position and didn't throw the ball a lot into double coverage. He just needs to get faster making decisions in the passing game. Comes out of Gus Malzahn's spread option where he doesn't have to make multiple reads. Doesn't anticipate a receiver's route that well.

Field vision: Here is where Newton is going to need the work. A lot of Auburn's passes came on receivers running double moves and deep crosses. They're routes where receivers get themselves open and don't necessarily have to rely on the quarterback fitting the ball into a tight window. In addition, a lot of Newton's passes come on the first read. When it's not there, the offense called for him to pull the ball and run. Since teams stacked the box to defend Auburn against the run, Newton didn't see a lot of complex coverages. He did early against Oregon in the BCS National Championship game and got into trouble. He'll have to spend a lot of time in the film room to learn how to pass against defenses with good secondary play and an array of coverages.

I suggest you go back your mother's basement and watch those films another 20 times.

Edited by DreReed83

3) You obviously don't know what you're watching. He has happy feet. First read, balls out. If not he runs. He scrambles around looking to run and not to throw. If he does throw, he just chucks it downfield. Those kinda QB's are the kind of QB's that won't cut it in the NFL. When did Vick start getting better? When he stopped runnig around like an idiot and start making throws.

Decision making: Newton rarely put his receivers in bad position and didn't throw the ball a lot into double coverage. He just needs to get faster making decisions in the passing game. Comes out of Gus Malzahn's spread option where he doesn't have to make multiple reads. Doesn't anticipate a receiver's route that well.

Field vision: Here is where Newton is going to need the work. A lot of Auburn's passes came on receivers running double moves and deep crosses. They're routes where receivers get themselves open and don't necessarily have to rely on the quarterback fitting the ball into a tight window. In addition, a lot of Newton's passes come on the first read. When it's not there, the offense called for him to pull the ball and run. Since teams stacked the box to defend Auburn against the run, Newton didn't see a lot of complex coverages. He did early against Oregon in the BCS National Championship game and got into trouble. He'll have to spend a lot of time in the film room to learn how to pass against defenses with good secondary play and an array of coverages.

I suggest you go back your mother's basement and watch those films another 20 times.

I love it how you denigrate every poster's opinion on here whenever you disagree with something they say. Way to keep up the discourse.

I find it even more funny, that you proceed to insult the poster as a "pro scout," then go on lay out your own scouting report with bolded font. Pot meet kettle.

You seem angry over this LOL is it this serious?.. Anyway without getting all emotional like this guy my OPINION is Gabbert sucks and I'll take Cam any day. Point being Jimmy Clausen came from a Pro Style but Sam Bradford didN't and who's better? LOL there goes that debate. Trent Edwards was supposed to read deffenses pretty well and so was Cade McNown how did that turn out? Its all a gamble if the guy is athletic he can run around until he figures it out or in our case he can sit behind fitz until they unleash the excitement known as CAM NEWTON. So yes *Roger Godell Stalin Voice* with the 3rd pick the Buffalo Bills Select Cam Newton (crowd goes wild).... Oh yea have fun replying to that cuz im not replying back cuz your a bit too emotional, I mean its just a blog...LOL...