Blaine Gabbert

major

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/b]He'll have to spend a lot of time in the film room to learn how to pass against defenses with good secondary play and an array of coverages.

Every qb coming out of this draft will have to go through the learning stage. That is part of the developmental process that all young qbs go through. Whether it is Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Kapernaeck etc none of them is going to make an immediate impact. The luxury the Bills have is that Fitz has demonstrated that although he is an adequate qb at best he would be a good qb for a novice to learn from.

The Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb since the Kelly era. The chances for any team to succeed in a qb driven league without a major talent at that positon is minimal. As it stands, the Bills are not adequately staffed at that position.

The Bills' scouts have their work cut out for them. They have to make projections on how these various college prospects' abilities transfer to the next level. Some of the same issues concerning scouts about Newton applied to Josh Freeman from Kansas State. As it turned out he has played very well and been instrumental in Tampa's turnaround. Needless to say, there is a lot at stake for this team.

Edited by JohnC

I love it how you denigrate every poster's opinion on here whenever you disagree with something they say. Way to keep up the discourse.

I find it even more funny, that you proceed to insult the poster as a "pro scout," then go on lay out your own scouting report with bolded font. Pot meet kettle.

Theres a difference between taking 5 minutes to look for something over the internet and claiming to video tape multiple games and watch it 4-5 times. :rolleyes:

Every qb coming out of this draft will have to go through the learning stage. That is part of the developmental process that all young qbs go through. Whether it is Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Kapernaeck etc none of them is going to make an immediate impact. The luxury the Bills have is that Fitz has demonstrated that although he is an adequate qb at best he would be a good qb for a novice to learn from.

The Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb since the Kelly era. The chances for any team to succeed in a qb driven league without a major talent at that positon is minimal. As it stands, the Bills are not adequately staffed at that position.

The Bills' scouts have their work cut out for them. They have to make projections on how these various college prospects' abilities transfer to the next level. Some of the same issues concerning scouts about Newton applied to Josh Freeman from Kansas State. As it turned out he has played very well and been instrumental in Tampa's turnaround. Needless to say, there is a lot at stake for this team.

No kidding? Obviously you missed the whole point of that post. Obviously theres a HUGE learning curve, but there are QB's more NFL ready than others. Some will adapt well and others won't. Not all development takes the same amount of time. Out of these guys, I see Newton and Kaepernick as the least NFL ready.

I've been advocating for a young future QB for awhile now. I don't think Fitz is a long term either so I'm not going to argue bringing a young QB. Give me Gabbert, Ponder, Stanzi in the later rounds. As long as we don't reach for someone like Newton I'll be thrilled.

Edited by DreReed83

Theres a difference between taking 5 minutes to look for something over the internet and claiming to video tape multiple games and watch it 4-5 times. :rolleyes:

No kidding? Obviously you missed the whole point of that post. Obviously theres a HUGE learning curve, but there are QB's more NFL ready than others. Some will adapt well and others won't. Not all development takes the same amount of time. Out of these guys, I see Newton and Kaepernick as the least NFL ready.

I've been advocating for a young future QB for awhile now. I don't think Fitz is a long term either so I'm not going to argue bringing a young QB. Give me Gabbert, Ponder, Stanzi in the later rounds. As long as we don't reach for someone like Newton I'll be thrilled.

You are missing the point. If a qb is more ready and has less long term potential I would still rather go with the qb with the most upside. Ponder is probably more ready for the pros than Newton or even Gabbert. I would certainly take the latter two over Ponder.

As far as reaches, that is what the scouts have to determine. Is Newton worth a 10-15 pick if the Bills could move down or where should Gabbert be slotted? Another consideration is that the Bills are drafting at a very high point this season. Are they going to be in the same position again next year? If you are looking for a franchise qb in a lower round then the odds are not very high at finding a starting qb at that lower point. Those type of third string qbs are a dime a dozen.

As I stated before, the criticisms that Newton is getting is the same type of criticisms that Josh Freeman received a couple of years ago. He was a raw physical talent who played in played in a spread offense. How has that worked out?

Let someone else take the gamble on Gabbert....

Im telling you guys Marcel Darius or Robert Quinn is the pick

I think you are correct. I think Dalton from TCU is the Bills QB pick in a later round, He fits the Chan Gailey mold.

We need lots of D help, and there other other QB's later in the draft. I can't see Gailey/Nix reaching to grab a QB here when there will be many solid D players available. We need an instant impact player with our first round pick.

I think they both will need time to grow, but everybody keeps forgetting that it is not fair to say Cam can't read defenses, because as mentioned in another post, in Auburn's offense he is SUPPOSED to run more than usual. That's the whole reason the offense was unstoppable. Cam is also a winner! Watch Sunday and I will bet that Ben or Rogers will make a play with there legs and everybody will praise them. And although Vince Young sucked to me I still don't recall him not being able to run in the pros. I recall him running pass a lot of NFL linebackers. Give him and all the other qb's a chance. Last year most people would have died to get Locker, and now look at him. You never can tell, so it's a crap shoot.

Good call on the Freeman comparison, though they are separate player.

Here's the thing with Gabbert. He only threw 16 tds to 9 Ints in an offense that is designed to put up monster #s. Plus, he didn't take snaps under center. There's alot more evidence that BG will be nothing more than a so-so NFL qb than a special one.

Newton destroyed the conference in college football against elite defensive talent & coaches (Nick Saban).

If you gonna roll the dice with a qb in the 1st (and it's all dice roll), Newton just makes so much more sense.

You are missing the point. If a qb is more ready and has less long term potential I would still rather go with the qb with the most upside. Ponder is probably more ready for the pros than Newton or even Gabbert. I would certainly take the latter two over Ponder.

As far as reaches, that is what the scouts have to determine. Is Newton worth a 10-15 pick if the Bills could move down or where should Gabbert be slotted? Another consideration is that the Bills are drafting at a very high point this season. Are they going to be in the same position again next year? If you are looking for a franchise qb in a lower round then the odds are not very high at finding a starting qb at that lower point. Those type of third string qbs are a dime a dozen.

As I stated before, the criticisms that Newton is getting is the same type of criticisms that Josh Freeman received a couple of years ago. He was a raw physical talent who played in played in a spread offense. How has that worked out?

Leading up to the 1998 draft, there was a debate about whether Manning or Leaf was the better prospect. Several sports writers stated that Manning was the more NFL-ready and would come up to speed more quickly. But they also said that Leaf had more "upside," and was the better long-term prospect.

Obviously those writers were dead wrong: the same qualities which led Manning to be "NFL-ready" also meant he had more upside. A quarterback's upside isn't in his arm or his legs. It's between his ears.

All of this is a roundabout way of saying that if given a choice between Ponder and any of the other QBs available in this draft, I'd take Ponder.

Leading up to the 1998 draft, there was a debate about whether Manning or Leaf was the better prospect. Several sports writers stated that Manning was the more NFL-ready and would come up to speed more quickly. But they also said that Leaf had more "upside," and was the better long-term prospect.

Obviously those writers were dead wrong: the same qualities which led Manning to be "NFL-ready" also meant he had more upside. A quarterback's upside isn't in his arm or his legs. It's between his ears.

All of this is a roundabout way of saying that if given a choice between Ponder and any of the other QBs available in this draft, I'd take Ponder.

Manning had elite skills. Ponder does not. IMO, being a winner is also a skill. No one did that better than Newton in this draft. That means something to me.

Here's the thing with Gabbert. He only threw 16 tds to 9 Ints in an offense that is designed to put up monster #s. Plus, he didn't take snaps under center. There's alot more evidence that BG will be nothing more than a so-so NFL qb than a special one.

Newton destroyed the conference in college football against elite defensive talent & coaches (Nick Saban).

If you gonna roll the dice with a qb in the 1st (and it's all dice roll), Newton just makes so much more sense.

Mizzou really didn't throw the ball much this year as compared to last year. They always seemed to be up by 20 or 30 pts and they ran the ball A LOT. Check out Gabberts stats last year. That is more telling of what he can do throwing the ball because he had a dynamic receiver in Denario Alexander. His receivers this year sucked balls.

What is turning me off this year about Gabbert is his game against Texas Tech.. they had to have that game and he blew it.

Edited by Mr. Negative

I haven't seen too much of Gabbert. With respect to Newton I saw him in four or five SEC games. In all those games it was clear to me that he was the best player on the field and the most impactful player on the fied. (There is a distinction between best and impact.) When Auburn played a very richly talented team Newton was the difference for his team winning.

What surprised me the most about him was not his exceptional running talent so much as his passing skills. He has a strong arm, has touch, is accurate and can make every throw. From what I have read and seen his teammates like him and consider him their leader. He also seems to have very good football instincts, rarely making the glaring error. It also appears that he is very coachable.

As I have stated before, our scouts have to make a judgment as to how his college game and abilities translates to the next level. They made the wrong decision on Losman. Tampa made a smart decision on Josh Freeman when there were a lot of doubters. He, as much as anyone, has been the center-piece of Tampa's rather quick turnaround.

Edited by JohnC

No I understand YOUR point which clearly makes no sense but you clearly don't understand mine. If a QB is more NFL ready right out of college, how would he have less long term potential? If a college QB is more NFL ready, that means he has a higher upside than someone who isn't. Just because they are NFL ready doesn't mean they've peaked as in improving as a QB. So you're not making any sense. A QB who is described as "NFL ready" just means he's capable of making the transition to the NFL level easier than someone who's not. Pretty self explanatory if you ask me.

So you'd take the athletic QB who can throw the ball 80 yds down the field over someone with a decent arm, can read defenses and has a high football IQ? Nice to meet you Mr. Al Davis.

Edited by DreReed83

You seem angry over this LOL is it this serious?.. Anyway without getting all emotional like this guy my OPINION is Gabbert sucks and I'll take Cam any day. Point being Jimmy Clausen came from a Pro Style but Sam Bradford didN't and who's better? LOL there goes that debate. Trent Edwards was supposed to read deffenses pretty well and so was Cade McNown how did that turn out? Its all a gamble if the guy is athletic he can run around until he figures it out or in our case he can sit behind fitz until they unleash the excitement known as CAM NEWTON. So yes *Roger Godell Stalin Voice* with the 3rd pick the Buffalo Bills Select Cam Newton (crowd goes wild).... Oh yea have fun replying to that cuz im not replying back cuz your a bit too emotional, I mean its just a blog...LOL...

hmmmmm..... the only QB i'd take in the first round is Newton...

Ponder is probably more ready for the pros than Newton or even Gabbert. I would certainly take the latter two over Ponder.

My own two cents worth? Take the BPA (likely a defender or AJ Green) with the first pick and take the best QB available in the second round, whether Nix thinks it's Ponder, Dalton, Devlin, Gabbert, etc. Even if the mock draft conventional wisdom says taking that player would be a reach that early in the second round, it's never a reach if you lose the opportunity to draft an impact QB because you think he'll be available in the next round, but he's gone by then.

That's exactly what I saw. Thanks for bringing that up. He's not going to be able to run around like that at the next level. I hate to tell you.

End of discussion.

Why is no one paying attention? The man said end of discussion. If you want to keep yammering please take it to the last post wins thread.

I'm praying that Arizona, Tennessee, or Washington fall in love with either Newton or Gabbert and give us a king's ransom to move up to take one of them. I'm also praying that the BILLS are smart enough to make that trade and then smart enough to pick a big player when their turn in the first comes up.

That's just me.

I'm praying that Arizona, Tennessee, or Washington fall in love with either Newton or Gabbert and give us a king's ransom to move up to take one of them. I'm also praying that the BILLS are smart enough to make that trade and then smart enough to pick a big player when their turn in the first comes up.

That's just me.

That would make sense if we already had an elite QB. But since we don't, why would we trade out of a position where we could take an elite QB prospect only to allow someone else to take him?

That would make sense if we already had an elite QB. But since we don't, why would we trade out of a position where we could take an elite QB prospect only to allow someone else to take him?

How about because there isn't an elite QB in this draft and because you need a real defense to win in the National Football League?

You guys act like drafting the next Akili Smith or some nobody who never won a big game is going to change the franchise over night. Hilarious.

How about because there isn't an elite QB in this draft and because you need a real defense to win in the National Football League?

You guys act like drafting the next Akili Smith or some nobody who never won a big game is going to change the franchise over night. Hilarious.

So many things wrong with your post:

1.) How do you know there are no elite QBs in this draft?

2.) You also need a real QB in this league to win consistently.

3.) How do you know that every QB in this draft will be the next Akili Smith? Maybe one of them can be the next Jim Kelly, Manning, Elway, etc.

4.) How do you know that whatever defensive player we draft will not be the next Erik Flowers, Aaron Maybin or John McCargo.

The simple answer is; You have no idea. So if you'd like to express an opinion, great. But spare me the attitude.

Thanks.

3.) How do you know that every QB in this draft will be the next Akili Smith? Maybe one of them can be the next Jim Kelly, Manning, Elway, etc.

4.) How do you know that whatever defensive player we draft will not be the next Erik Flowers, Aaron Maybin or John McCargo.

The simple answer is; You have no idea. So if you'd like to express an opinion, great. But spare me the attitude.

Thanks.

and last time I checked, Newton just won the National Championship and the Heisman and he won the JUCO National Chanpionship the year before. Maybe that will translate to the NFL, maybe not. But you cannot say he has never won a big game.

Thanks.

and last time I checked, Newton just won the National Championship and the Heisman and he won the JUCO National Chanpionship the year before. Maybe that will translate to the NFL, maybe not. But you cannot say he has never won a big game.

Newton won the championship by himself? I'm impressed. AND the JUCO championship singlehandedly? Holy crp dude. I'm impressed. Took on a whole defense on his own? 1 against 11? :flirt:

What does that mean? NOTHING. Look at the past QB's that played for national championships. And look what they've done.

Tim Tebow? John Wilson Parker? Matt Leinart? Vince Young? Matt Flynn? Jamarcus Russell? Craig Krenzel? Ken Dorsey? Jason White? Chris Weinke?

Pretty impressive list of QBs there my friend.

BTW. Quick question:

How many national championships has Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Matt Schaub, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers won in their college careers...COMBINED?

So don't bring up meaningless facts as an argument.

Edited by DreReed83