Will the Bills go back to the 4-3

wooly22

I was reading that every defense that Wannstedt has run has been a 4-3. I know he is not actually running the D now, but I can only assume that they hired him for some plans they have. With that being said, it would take fewer pieces to have a good 4-3 than a 3-4. Poz is a better 4-3 MLB than an ILB in a 3-4. If Merriman comes back healthy, that makes 2 out of 3. The 3rd LB would be the biggest question mark. I'm not sure Moats or Batten would be a fit. The D-line seemed to do better out of the 4-3, and this would make the #3 pick a little more flexible if they go DE.

Will they try to run both?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading that every defense that Wannstedt has run has been a 4-3. I know he is not actually running the D now, but I can only assume that they hired him for some plans they have. With that being said, it would take fewer pieces to have a good 4-3 than a 3-4. Poz is a better 4-3 MLB than an ILB in a 3-4. If Merriman comes back healthy, that makes 2 out of 3. The 3rd LB would be the biggest question mark. I'm not sure Moats or Batten would be a fit. The D-line seemed to do better out of the 4-3, and this would make the #3 pick a little more flexible if they go DE.

Will they try to run both?

I think they will try to stay versitle and run both. Moats seems like more of a threat at the 3-4, but I think he can still be effective in the 4-3. What will be interesting to me is... will they feel "good" about their D with Williams and maybe Stroud on the inside, and Troup, Johnson and Carrington, etc at DE? If they do I can see either a trade down or Patrick Peterson in our future...

Batten, a 4-year DE in college, was initially put at OLB but switched to ILB. He has been attending all meetings and drills. He would make a great ILB sidekick to Poz in either the 3-4 or backup for Poz in a 4-3. I love his ability to tackle and slough off a block in traffic. He'll play on ST, too.

Moats really came on in the last 4 games. He had a steep learning curve but he's best as a pass-rushing OLB.

We're still going to take two LB's in this draft, or sign a very good free agent.

People act like DW is oblivious to anything other than the 4-3. The guy has been around and am quite certain he knows a thing or two about running a 3-4. The guy will probably just be here to help Edwards game plan and set up different packages. The Asst. HC title is just to bump up his pay and look good on a resume so he can try and get a HC job somewhere else in a year or two.

Batten, a 4-year DE in college, was initially put at OLB but switched to ILB. He has been attending all meetings and drills. He would make a great ILB sidekick to Poz in either the 3-4 or backup for Poz in a 4-3. I love his ability to tackle and slough off a block in traffic. He'll play on ST, too.

Moats really came on in the last 4 games. He had a steep learning curve but he's best as a pass-rushing OLB.

We're still going to take two LB's in this draft, or sign a very good free agent.

Dontay Moch? Owen Marecic?

Dontay Moch

Please god no. The guy has terrible size and football instincts. He only has speed. Which he'll more than likely use to run himself out of a lot of plays. He's been dreadful during practices for the Shrine Game. I think he came in weighing 229lbs. That size won't cut it in the NFL.

I think they will try to stay versitle and run both. Moats seems like more of a threat at the 3-4, but I think he can still be effective in the 4-3. What will be interesting to me is... will they feel "good" about their D with Williams and maybe Stroud on the inside, and Troup, Johnson and Carrington, etc at DE? If they do I can see either a trade down or Patrick Peterson in our future...

If they were to go exclusively in the 4-3 Williams, Stroud, Troup, and Johnson would likely be the DTs. Edwards, Carrington, Kelsay, Maybin would be the DEs that are currently on the roster.

People act like DW is oblivious to anything other than the 4-3. The guy has been around and am quite certain he knows a thing or two about running a 3-4. The guy will probably just be here to help Edwards game plan and set up different packages. The Asst. HC title is just to bump up his pay and look good on a resume so he can try and get a HC job somewhere else in a year or two.

But I agree with this, he is not the defensive coordinator but a position coach/consultant and while his voice may be louder than the other position coaches in the room I dont think his signing changes any future plans for the defense.

I think Merriman and Moats man one spot while they bring in a high pick (top 3 rounds) to compete with or replace Kelsay.

Please god no. The guy has terrible size and football instincts. He only has speed. Which he'll more than likely use to run himself out of a lot of plays. He's been dreadful during practices for the Shrine Game. I think he came in weighing 229lbs. That size won't cut it in the NFL.

You can't go wrong drafting a quick first-step. The front office knows you can't coach quickness, and that mindset has never steered the Bills wrong. I hope they get him in the first round and he holds out before flaming out 2 seasons from now.

Dontay Moch? Owen Marecic?

don't fall in love with a couple guys, really watch some highlights to get get a good feel for guys. It's good to watch their games but too late for that now. Mock just doesn't have it and Marecic is high motor high character guy and might be ok LB but he is more fullback/special teamer. Sam Acho for outside and Chris White for inside would much better options.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

The Bills appear completely and absolutely torn between which defense they want to play. There's evidence that points to each the 3-4 and the 4-3.

1. Edwards is a 3-4 guy. Wannstedt a 4-3.

2. Williams is a 3-4 DT. Merriman is a 3-4 OLB.

3. The Bills began drafting 3-4 guys. The Bills have more 4-3 guys on the roster.

It's totally a mixed bag right now and until Gailey or Nix goes on record and says flat out we're one defense or another, we'll be guessing. It's hard to say what will happen. But we may continue to run some hybrid looks out of both base defenses.

But you have to wonder, why did they bring in Wannstedt? He's a very experienced coach, 4-3 guy through and through, and he was brought here as an assistant head coach. What does that mean? Is it just a title, a form of respect? Or are they positioning him to take over the defense? Who the hell knows.

I'm confused and it's bothering me because I really wanna know. Someone needs to tell us what Wannstedt's job is, what our defense is. It needs to be defined.

Edited by lets_go_bills

I'm thinking it will be a hybrid 3-4, 4-3 yet again next year but still progressing towards a 3-4. Wanny won't stay with us forever. If he does well he'll prolly get his crack at another HC spot again. But only if he does quite well with our D. In that case maybe Edwards will be kept around to improve his game and glean anything he can from DW to take over when Wanny does eventually leave. Damn I speculate too much.

Go Bills!!!

I knew when training camp started Danny was slated as an OLB and Moats an ILB. Due to injury we obviously know Moats was kicked out to OLB, but I never heard about Batten moving to ILB. I know the scouts definitely liked Danny Batten as an OLB. When and where did you hear that Batten moved to ILB, I must've missed this?

Edited by Estro

I knew when training camp started Danny was slated as an OLB and Moats an ILB. Due to injury we obviously know Moats was kicked out to OLB, but I never heard about Batten moving to ILB. I know the scouts definitely liked Danny Batten as an OLB. When and where did you hear that Batten moved to ILB, I must've missed this?

Batten, who began lining up as an outside linebacker in the spring and summer, has been learning the inside linebacker position in the meeting rooms while rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder.

about 1/2 way down http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Rookies-show-big-promise/2269e311-1e53-4753-b45f-627fabc68924

Edited by dgrid

All this concern about the scheme! I'm concerned about the players.... If Pittsburgh switched to a 4-3 next year, they would still kick a**. The Bills need to get more defensive talent!

You're right in a sense. Pitt probably would still be awesome no matter the scheme. But the scheme still matters, especially if you want to run a hybrid 34-43 that the bills i believe are working towards.

I don't believe the bills would re-sign kelsay if they exclusively wanted to run a 34 going forward. I also dont think they would've re-signed merriman if they are thinking about running a 43 exclusively in the future.

Hopefully (it's a big hope) the D coaches are looking at running a multiple base set D a la New England and need to get players that can play in both. Quinn would be a fit in both. Dareus would also flourish as a hybrid DE/OLB.

I hope that's the way they go, but who knows.

Great thread OP because i think your question will have a lot of influence on the draft come april.

You're right in a sense. Pitt probably would still be awesome no matter the scheme. But the scheme still matters, especially if you want to run a hybrid 34-43 that the bills i believe are working towards.

I don't believe the bills would re-sign kelsay if they exclusively wanted to run a 34 going forward. I also dont think they would've re-signed merriman if they are thinking about running a 43 exclusively in the future.

Hopefully (it's a big hope) the D coaches are looking at running a multiple base set D a la New England and need to get players that can play in both. Quinn would be a fit in both. Dareus would also flourish as a hybrid DE/OLB.

I hope that's the way they go, but who knows.

Great thread OP because i think your question will have a lot of influence on the draft come april.

Actually I'm hoping that it doesn't have any influence on the draft. I want them to choose the guy that they think will become the best player, NOT choose a guy because he "fits the scheme". I think you are right, and that they will play a hybrid, and that should allow them to be more flexible as far as who they pick.

Everybody is so ready for DW to leave and he just got here.....maybe we dont make the same mistake as we did with Pittsburgs great DC who was once with us and actually have him run things?

Am I the only one here who thinks Edwards is DC in title only and DW is actually running things now?

I for one, am happy to have him here. It will be interesting to see how things pan out. I don't care if we go 4-3, 3-4, or a hybred, as long as the D can shut down the run and get pressure on the QB, I will be happy.

It's totally a mixed bag right now and until Gailey or Nix goes on record and says flat out we're one defense or another, we'll be guessing. It's hard to say what will happen. But we may continue to run some hybrid looks out of both base defenses.

I'm confused and it's bothering me because I really wanna know. Someone needs to tell us what Wannstedt's job is, what our defense is. It needs to be defined.

Gailey has gone on record saying that depending on the sition they will play either front. I believe gailey would likely prefer to play more 3-4 but the personnel is not in place for this. Williams was a beast this year but I still believe he is too small to be the run stuffer you need at NT on a 3-4. Kelsay is a joke at OLB.