Romo: My Life on the Edge

In his book Romo: My life on the Edge, LB Bill Romanowski is a self-confessed dirty SOB. He talks about breaking a finger in the pile andkicking guys in the nuts while they were down.

He is also a driven, driven player who worked hard to be all that he could be and pulled everyone around him up to work harder.

Overall, whatever you think of Romo, I would recommend his book to a football fan. Borrow it from a library near you if you don't want to support him.

There are some great insights into the workings of a championship caliber team vs. a 2nd-tier team. After Romo was traded from the multiple-SB winning 49'ers to the Iggles:

"Our goal," Coach Kotite told us at our first team meeting, "is to hopefully make the playoffs"

To this day, I'm pissed with myself that I didn't stand up and shout, "That's the problem with the Philadelphia Eagles, that right there. Our goal ought to be to win a world championship, period. There is no other goal, OK? There is no rebuilding. There is no such thing."

In Denver, after the Broncos were upset in the Division Playoff:

" (Coach Shanahan), do you realize we met our goals this year?" I said to him. "What do you mean, Bill?" "You mentioned that our goals were to win the division and get homefield advantage in the playoffs, and the rest would take care of itself. Were you afraid to talk Super Bowl? Because there was a natural letdown when we met our goal. The goal has to be to win a World Championship".

Romo talks about benefiting more by practicing with the less-heralded TE Byron Chamberlain, because he was tougher to cover in practice every day vs Shannon Sharpe who came out and turned it up on Sunday.

My fear: The Bills don't have a Superbowl winning mentality in the locker room. How many guys do we have who are Romo-like in their dedication to training and the extra effort they put in, way above and beyond what is asked of them by the coaching staff. Guys who are out there hustling and hitting hard in practice so that the guys they practice against get better. A guy who would tape Tom Brady's picture on the door to his home gym, the way Romo taped up Mark Brunell after getting outwitted and evaded by him in the '96 divisional playoff loss. I think the Bills have a goal of "trying to make the playoffs next year".

Funniest part of the book. Romo is late for the start of summer training camp. Totally uncharacteristic for Mr. Hard Work and Discipline personified.

When I finally arrived, Coach Shanahan pulled me aside. "Everything okay, Romo?" "Oh yeah, Coach. Sorry about being late. It's just that Julie's....ummmm....ovulating"

Momentarily stunned, Coach Shanahan fumbled for his answer. "I've heard a lot of excuses and a lot of stories, Romo. But that is the absolute best."

Overall, I think worth the read for a football fan.

I would recommend this book too Hopeful. During Romo's playing years I never thought much of him except that I admired his intensity for the game. After reading his book my view of him changed a bit. He was no longer just a pure berserker in my mind. His mentality and devotion to a winning attitude impressed me. He has some interesting nutritional info (the book isn't all about taking banned substances) in his writings too. Overall I would recommend it. Thanks for posting this and reminding me of it Hopeful. I'm going to have to dig up the book again.

On a side note: We need players on the Bills who think of nothing else except for winning, winning and winning!!! A group mentality of doing everything possible (within legal limits) to further this team. This mindset needs to become clear and the group as a whole should strive for one goal only. Most here know this goal.

Go Bills!!

Edited by Pilsner

Id never support anything from that POS

Putting to a halt the career of a teammate on the Raiders was a POS thing to do, and so was spitting in another players eye (if i recall correctly). Those aspects of him I would not tolerate. But overall in general it's a good read. Even from a player who couldn't always control himself.

Eric Wood and Kyle Williams are two guys that come to mind about going all out. I would add Fitzy but it is obvious he doesn't hit the weights and this is limiting his game. Maybe he thinks he can use smarts and skills to get by but it is not good enough. Tim Tebow and Aaron Rogers are two QBs who have worked hard to increase their arm strength and if Fitzy did this we would have our franchise QB and we wouldn't be having all these discussions about getting one.

lmao

i love how people point to sports celebs like they are spiritual gurus and have magical answers on how to be successful

look, these people are almost always glorified monkey grinders. their success comes as much from dumb luck and god given physical abilities way more than it does from some brilliant personal philosophy

even worse is when you allow them to convince you to apply their sage wisdom in your life. that has about as much chance of bringing you success as applying those of the local janitor

most of the advice you get from sports celebs is bull ****. they were in the right place at the right time which made them look like they had something special when they didnt. they were just one of thousands that stepped in it and now they love to tell you they had the secret formula to make it happen

well that, and the easy grounder that dribbled through your opponents legs. but they never mention that part

lmao

i love how people point to sports celebs like they are spiritual gurus and have magical answers on how to be successful

look, these people are almost always glorified monkey grinders. their success comes as much from dumb luck and god given physical abilities way more than it does from some brilliant personal philosophyeven worse is when you allow them to convince you to apply their sage wisdom in your life. that has about as much chance of bringing you success as applying those of the local janitor

most of the advice you get from sports celebs is bull ****. they were in the right place at the right time which made them look like they had something special when they didnt. they were just one of thousands that stepped in it and now they love to tell you they had the secret formula to make it happen

well that, and the easy grounder that dribbled through your opponents legs. but they never mention that part

And a slew of steroids and other illegal drugs in Romo's case

lmao

look, these people are almost always glorified monkey grinders. their success comes as much from dumb luck and god given physical abilities way more than it does from some brilliant personal philosophy

even worse is when you allow them to convince you to apply their sage wisdom in your life. that has about as much chance of bringing you success as applying those of the local janitor

You sound like you should work for the Bills front office

There are some great insights into the workings of a championship caliber team vs. a 2nd-tier team. After Romo was traded from the multiple-SB winning 49'ers to the Iggles:

"Our goal," Coach Kotite told us at our first team meeting, "is to hopefully make the playoffs"

To this day, I'm pissed with myself that I didn't stand up and shout, "That's the problem with the Philadelphia Eagles, that right there. Our goal ought to be to win a world championship, period. There is no other goal, OK? There is no rebuilding. There is no such thing."

In Denver, after the Broncos were upset in the Division Playoff:

" (Coach Shanahan), do you realize we met our goals this year?" I said to him. "What do you mean, Bill?" "You mentioned that our goals were to win the division and get homefield advantage in the playoffs, and the rest would take care of itself. Were you afraid to talk Super Bowl? Because there was a natural letdown when we met our goal. The goal has to be to win a World Championship".

Every fan on this board who is satisfied with any player, especially our QBs, should read these quotes over and over again and realize why some of us are not going to be satisfied with a team that just makes the playoffs. When your goal is to make the playoffs, your goal is too limited. If you're not good enough to win the Super Bowl, then every game is meaningless.

The fans who NEED the team to win that 3rd or 4th game at the end of the season to feel good leaving the stadium need to wake up & see that the goal should be a championship & each game by itself is totally meaningless if your team has a losing record or wins enough games to qualify for the playoffs but still has a talent void that will not get it any wins in the playoffs.

I don't want to hear anything about the 6th seeds this year being Super Bowl contenders. If you can't tell the difference between a bad playoff team and the Packers & Jets of this season, you don't understand the game. Rex Ryan at seed 6 has always talked Super Bowl, and I'd bet that the Packers locker room has the same attitude. Now imagine if one of those 7-9 Jauron teams had managed to get into the playoffs. Does anyone here think that if Jauron had made the playoffs that the Bills would have won it all?

Eric Wood and Kyle Williams are two guys that come to mind about going all out. I would add Fitzy but it is obvious he doesn't hit the weights and this is limiting his game. Maybe he thinks he can use smarts and skills to get by but it is not good enough. Tim Tebow and Aaron Rogers are two QBs who have worked hard to increase their arm strength and if Fitzy did this we would have our franchise QB and we wouldn't be having all these discussions about getting one.

Barbarian, great points.

One of the things I have no reason to disbelieve in Romo's book, is the amount of money he invested in his career: building a SOFTA weight room for himself and hiring multiple personal trainers. I view it as very low probability that the guy lasted as long as he did simply b'cuz he doped. He may have doped, but he trained like a fiend and I believe him that he tried to help the whole team by persuading them to hire quality trainers and even lending them equipment they didn't have.

Fitzy is an interesting case. He clearly loves football and wants nothing more than to be "out there". But before this year, his role was clear: he was the backup.

As the backup, it was his job to learn 2 game plans a week: one to run the scout team, one to be ready to play at the drop of a flag.

That really is a "smarts and skills" position and too much time in the weight room would likely interfere with that "two plan a week".

This is, I think, a key season for Fitz. For the first time, he's the designated starter for next year.

He should be the focus of the QB coach and the OC, with specialized training programs for his off-season.

In addition, he has the $$ to hire whatever personal trainer he wants with that $150k bonus for finishing above 80% QBR - I would think one could hire a top-quality coach for $150k?

It's really in his hands, if he wants to put in the work to step up his game to the next level (I personally believe he has the talent and leadership qualities), or if "he is what he is".

lmao

Ewwwwww. Given your Avatar, wish you'd spared me that visual!

It sounds like you have a 'pet peeve'. Feed it, water it, walk it, and groom it well.

It's harder for me to see how it applies here. Nothing I quoted was about "spiritual gurus" or "magical answers".

I don't think Romo succeeded because of either dumb luck nor (as a late 3rd round draft choice) innate physical abilities.

I think he succeeded because he set mental goals to be the best and he trained like a son-of-a-B word.

There's nothing spiritual or magical or brilliant or new in philosphy "work hard and set high goals. if you don't reach them work harder"

I think we see in every sport, people who may have superior physical talents who never quite make it because they rely on dumb luck and god-given physical abilities.

While people who have lesser talent to start with, wind up exceeding them because they work harder and tune out everything that distracts from their goals.

For example, I think that explains hugely talented busts like Ryan Leaf, and the relative positions of Moats and Maybin.

But think whatcha like. And please don't package your a** up there with the face in your avatar.

Barbarian, great points.

One of the things I have no reason to disbelieve in Romo's book, is the amount of money he invested in his career: building a SOFTA weight room for himself and hiring multiple personal trainers. I view it as very low probability that the guy lasted as long as he did simply b'cuz he doped. He may have doped, but he trained like a fiend and I believe him that he tried to help the whole team by persuading them to hire quality trainers and even lending them equipment they didn't have.

Fitzy is an interesting case. He clearly loves football and wants nothing more than to be "out there". But before this year, his role was clear: he was the backup.

As the backup, it was his job to learn 2 game plans a week: one to run the scout team, one to be ready to play at the drop of a flag.

That really is a "smarts and skills" position and too much time in the weight room would likely interfere with that "two plan a week".

This is, I think, a key season for Fitz. For the first time, he's the designated starter for next year.

He should be the focus of the QB coach and the OC, with specialized training programs for his off-season.

In addition, he has the $ to hire whatever personal trainer he wants with that $150k bonus for finishing above 80% QBR - I would think one could hire a top-quality coach for $150k?

It's really in his hands, if he wants to put in the work to step up his game to the next level (I personally believe he has the talent and leadership qualities), or if "he is what he is".

That's exactly how I see it, as well. Look at the training Trent put in during the off seasons to get better. He did that because he knew he was the starter and he was trying to get better. Of course, he just didn't have the mental tools to make it. But, it'll be really interesting to see if Fitz makes a similar effort to improve his accuracy this off season. IMO, you do that with a lot of core strengthening and working on your technique. Knowing that he's almost certainly the starter next year, I'd expect/hope to hear of him working hard all off season to improve the physical aspect of his game.

Romo was a totally berserk, steroid of a football player.

He took roid rage and elevated it to savage vulgarity.

He allowed the "heat and emotion of the game" to be an excuse for moronic behavior (do players really need to be breaking each others fingers in a scrum?).

I read the book, and found it somewhat amusing. Athletes don't usually write good books about themselves. No matter how good of an athlete they may have been, they seldom translate that into brilliant (or even mildly entertaining) writing.

Namath is a good book. I also found Johnny U to be an excellent read as well. Brian Billicks book was alot of ego, but his section on free agency was interesting. I also found Ernie Accorsi's book on being an NFL GM to be rather insightful.

Ewwwwww. Given your Avatar, wish you'd spared me that visual!

It sounds like you have a 'pet peeve'. Feed it, water it, walk it, and groom it well.

It's harder for me to see how it applies here. Nothing I quoted was about "spiritual gurus" or "magical answers".

I don't think Romo succeeded because of either dumb luck nor (as a late 3rd round draft choice) innate physical abilities.

I think he succeeded because he set mental goals to be the best and he trained like a son-of-a-B word.

There's nothing spiritual or magical or brilliant or new in philosphy "work hard and set high goals. if you don't reach them work harder"

I think we see in every sport, people who may have superior physical talents who never quite make it because they rely on dumb luck and god-given physical abilities.

While people who have lesser talent to start with, wind up exceeding them because they work harder and tune out everything that distracts from their goals.

For example, I think that explains hugely talented busts like Ryan Leaf, and the relative positions of Moats and Maybin.

But think whatcha like. And please don't package your a** up there with the face in your avatar.

There is certainly alot that can be said for hard work.

But I think Romo himself admits that he would not last as long in the NFL nor would he have been as successful in his later years without a little help from a syringe, some "clear", and a whole lotta 'roids.

Wasn't Romo tied to BALCO?

And a slew of steroids and other illegal drugs in Romo's case

B-A-L-C-O

But I guess...that he just didnt know...it was a "health" food supplement, after all..... :flirt:

One image from this past season that just haunts me is Matthews tea-bagging over a helpless Trint Edwards after a sack.

Quote from from Romo: My life on the Edge.

"In our second preseason game....at some point, (Raiders TE) Horton pushed me in the back without my realizing it.

When our defense reviewed the game film the next day, (Ronnie) Lott did. 'Shut off the film' Lott ordered. Once it was off, Lott looked over at me with..intensity.

'Romo,' Lott shouted. 'If I ever see anybody push you in the back and you don't do something about it, I will personally kick your ass'

Lott said what he had to, shut the lights, told Seifert to put the film back on, and went back to his seat. From that point on, I swore that nobody was going to hit me without getting hit back harder".

Whatever you think about Romanowski, that's the essence of the game right there. It's important to earn the respect of opponents and teammates.

Disrespect must be answered.

The story Fitzpatrick told Ray Lewis "Get off me B word" gives me hope. I hope I never see a sight like Matthews tea-bagging over our quarterback again.

I hope Fitz would reach up and punch him: "bag this, B word". If nothing else, two of our OL shoulda been right there and simply lifted him up and slammed him.

Any penalty would be worth it, just for the message.