Wannstedt a Bill

Lou

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 Buffalo Bills. Good to see them go after a guy with Coaching experience. Good start to the offseason. Hopefully we can reel in some Impact FAs and have a solid draft. I'd love to see this team compete against the Jets and Pats next season...

That would be awesome. I've tabbed him as priority number one in this off-season. Of course, I'm already resigned to the fact he might be too expensive and doesn't fit into Buddy'd FA approach. This coupled with the fact there seems to be an inordinate amount of "Rex's players would take a bullet/follow him to hell" talk for their head coach of late. I don't see too many guys leaving there unless someone overpays big-time (Washington style). It'll all come down to whether or not he is in the Jets future with Holmes and Edwards FAs as well.

I'm hoping a higher round pick, even back into the 1st for a ILB, would be clutch. Hopefully this is where Wanny can help identify talent/have his voice heard.

I hope Buddy goes outside the box this offseason and realizes it's gonna take more then just drafting players to get this team somewhere. He needs to go out and sign the Impact FAs to get us back on track. Teams can go from 4-12 to 12-4 with doing the SMART Things... As far as I'm concerned he's on the clock this offseason and needs to do a 180 when it comes to FA.

Edwards WILL be calling the defenses next year.....right after he gets the approval on his headset from the guy thats really in charge.

This is what Im saying.

Sure, Edwards may still be calling the plays, but every play call will be over the headset (just as Im sure they are now), and Wanny will have the power to step in if/when he feels it necessary.

He's more of a Coaching Quality Control, than just a LB coach.

I hope Buddy goes outside the box this offseason and realizes it's gonna take more then just drafting players to get this team somewhere. He needs to go out and sign the Impact FAs to get us back on track. Teams can go from 4-12 to 12-4 with doing the SMART Things... As far as I'm concerned he's on the clock this offseason and needs to do a 180 when it comes to FA.

Fair enough, but there also has to be Quality FAs available. I dont think there were that many last year, and Nix and Co. still weren't sure exactly what they had on this team.

Now, at this point, they damn well better know EXACTLY what they have and dont have. However, there still needs to be quality players available.

Out of this years FAs, how many will actually hit the market? And out of those, who are the answers for the Bills?

I think it's too early to answer those questions, but it's definitely something to keep in mind when looking to see what moves Buddy made to improve the team.

This is what Im saying.

Sure, Edwards may still be calling the plays, but every play call will be over the headset (just as Im sure they are now), and Wanny will have the power to step in if/when he feels it necessary.

:lol:Gailey doesn't even allow himself to do that, there is zero chance he gives that power to Wanny. That would be insane.

Gailey has no input on how the offense is run/called?

I mean Gailey doesnt ever overrun a defensive call, even in the most crucial moments of the game. You can't let someone listen in to the calls on defense and then if he doesn't like it, change them to something else unless you are the head coach. No coach would do this.

I mean Gailey doesnt ever overrun a defensive call, even in the most crucial moments of the game. You can't let someone listen in to the calls on defense and then if he doesn't like it, change them to something else unless you are the head coach. No coach would do this.

But he does it on the Offensive side. As a matter of fact, he IS the Offensive play caller. NOT the Offensive Coordintor.

So why is it so far fetched that his good friend, and former Head Coach boss, wouldnt have the same role on the Defensive side of the ball? Even if Wanny isnt calling plays, his input WILL be utilized. All coaches discuss calls and decisions with their coordinators. This allows Chan to concentrate on his specialty and Wanny to oversee the D side.

Not too out there, IMO.

input utilized = not out there

complete veto power over Edwards' playcalling = very out there

never said "complete veto power", only "Wanny will have the power to step in if/when he feels it necessary"

Now, the extent to which he chimes in is up to Chan ultimately. But if it's found that Wanny's advice is the correct advice, Edwards's role will be shrinking.

Again, Wanny is like a Quality Control for the Defensive Coaches.

it definitely doesn't feel like were spinning our wheels and going nowhere anymore.

i don't think we'll make the playoffs next year, for no other reason than we are in an extremely tough conference.

but i must admit, im guilty of taking pleasure in watching us slowly assemble a winning culture, or at the very least, a different mindset/philosophy than has been shown by our team in the years since bledsoe was qb. and i'll keep my fingers crossed for an above .500 season next year, but we're probably in store for another 6-10, 7-9 campaign.

i know you buffalonians find it hard to believe, but as an out of state bills fan (my parents are from buffalo) you guys have no idea how universally loved the bills are, and how much the entire football watching nation wants nothing more than to see us return to prominence. we play in the same division as the pats and the jets for god's sake - two of the most hated teams in the league. EVERYONE wants us to get better, believe me. glad to see everyone in here today happy about the hire and the direction the bills are going in!

never said "complete veto power", only "Wanny will have the power to step in if/when he feels it necessary"

Now, the extent to which he chimes in is up to Chan ultimately. But if it's found that Wanny's advice is the correct advice, Edwards's role will be shrinking.

Again, Wanny is like a Quality Control for the Defensive Coaches.

Whats the difference between stepping in and changing a call when you feel its best, and having complete veto power?

I think Wannstedt will be involved in gameplanning and will be there for advice whenever Edwards wants it, but the decisions on that side of the ball will lie with the DC. Personally I'd prefer to have Wanny running the defense, and we may just get that in time.

per Tim Graham:

Buffalo Bills coach Chan Gailey's defensive coaching staff has gotten a lot better.

FoxSports.com senior writer Alex Marvez reports Dave Wannstedt will join Gailey's staff as assistant head coach and inside linebackers assistant.

The move is an offseason victory for the Bills, an organization that struggled to attract top free agents because they haven't reached the playoffs in a decade. Wannstedt becomes the biggest name to join the Bills as an assistant coach since future Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau served on Gregg Williams' defensive staff in 2003 or since Sam Wyche was quarterbacks coach under Mike Mularkey in 2004.

It will be interesting to see how big a voice Wannstedt has on defensive game planning.

The best move the new organization has made. If the Bills are willing to spend some cash then the addition of Wannstedt and to a lesser extent Merriman will help greatly with free agent acquisition. In Wannstedt's case talent evaluation just took a giant leap forward. I doubt that Wannstedt would have wanted a guy like Maybin with the other options that were available.

But he does it on the Offensive side. As a matter of fact, he IS the Offensive play caller. NOT the Offensive Coordintor.

So why is it so far fetched that his good friend, and former Head Coach boss, wouldnt have the same role on the Defensive side of the ball? Even if Wanny isnt calling plays, his input WILL be utilized. All coaches discuss calls and decisions with their coordinators. This allows Chan to concentrate on his specialty and Wanny to oversee the D side.

Not too out there, IMO.

Dave's input will be in the gameplanning. It is far fetched that he listens in on Edwards' calls and over rules them when he doesn't like them. That just doesn't happen. Do you realize how quickly this would make Edwards/Wannstedt relationship go south? If that happens, you might as well fire Edwards.

During the week, the STAFF as a whole creates the gameplans, what coverages they like when, what blitzes they like vs certain formations, etc. This is all a staff discussion. When it comes to calling the play , there needs to be ONE person who makes the decision. There is no time for indecision on the sidelines. If things go wrong with that one person (Edwards), then he will be canned and most likely Wanny would take that role.