How two 7-9 teams go in different directions

It is far more complicated then that......

The Bills even at 7-9 were a paper tiger....the front office was RIDICULOUSLY bad.....we had drafted no so great in the high rounds in recent years.....the Bills simply needed to get worse...FAR WORSE before they could get better.

The Bears....while they had a identical record that year.....actually had already began putting playmaking talent onto their roster. They understood the importance of defense and biulding a team that could play in the cold weather

And quite frankly....they had made moves that a free agent could look at and see as a team that was making an effort to improve.

This quite frankly was the first year where I actually have seen the bills make a move to improve in a long long time......no I know the next thing some will say is BUT WE WERE 13-3! Yes but hear me out. The bills finally figured out that we needed to stop putting band aids on things...purge the team.....take a look at our young guys to see just who can be salvaged......and get rid of dead weight. They also figured out that if we are going to be a team that biulds through the draft then we need a GUY WHO KNOWS HOW TO DRAFT....enter Buddy Nix.

This next offseason is going to be very important to the bills.....I dont care about the amount of free agents brought in....I care about the QUALITY of those free agents. We need a good RT and TE in the worst way. We need to have a strong defensive draft. We also need for a couple of things that we gambled on to go right. Will Shawn Merrimen be able to come back and give us a solid year after nearly two years of rehab to fix his issues? That would be a big help to this team. Will Johnson work on his game in the offseason and fix his dropsies? Will Fitz and Evans perhaps do some work together this offseason, will Spiller adjust his game?

If the Bills are right on a couple of drafted players and the bears are wrong......would have made a lot of difference

ANSWER...Aggressive work in free agency.

ANSWER...good drafting (starting offensive RT)

ANSWER...Identifying and staying with one quarterback

ANSWER...Moving aggressively to keep good players

ANSWER...drafting for positions of need.

With all due respect is no great achievement to move from 7-9 to a playoff berth.

i understand your points, and I would agree. Like I said earlier that the Bills are light years behind in coaching as well.

As far as "winning" the steelers game goes, any given Sunday and all that. Plus I don't think the Ravens or the Steelers this year are all that. But you can't think that the talent level of the Bills is anywhere near that of either the Jets or Pats do you?

Can I answer your question Sunday nite? (haha) Actually, I think it's gonna be the Pack & The Steelers in the SB & the Pack will win handily. By your logic, the Jets will be in...so we'll see. But let me answer your question by saying this: Is there a talent gap between the Bills & the Pats & Jets? Undoubtedly Yes. But is it as large as our last two games would indicate? No, I don't think so. I put a lot of it on Gailey for not having the team ready or for having a sound game plan.

I would agree with you CodeMonkey if it weren't for our performances against the Ravens & the Steelers. I live in Steelers country & I tell everybody here, "You do know we really won that game, don't you?" The response is always the same...they hang their heads a tad & say, "Yeah, I know". I enjoyed the piece Brian Baldinger did on the NFL network...he pointed out all the changes Rex Ryan made for the playoff game against the Pats from when they played them at the end of reg season & got a shellacking. In viewing that regular season game one would think the gap was huge...but that wasn't the case. The appearance of a huge gap was caused by an improper game plan by the Jets. Ryan made the necessary adjustments by studying the film of the game, then putting his defense into coverage packages instead of blitz packages... & voila...Belicheat is watching the championship game on TV this coming weekend instead of playing in it. I don't think the gap between us & our last two opponnents is as big as you think. I question whether Gailey can study film & make adjustments in time. In my opinion, he's been slow in spotting problems & fixing them...same problem Jauron had. Again, go back to the Trent Edwards situation...how long did it take him to figure it out?

2 weeks

Let me state first I am not a Jauron defender. Was hoping for him to get canned as much as the next guy.

BUT...the problem there was the same as the problem we have now. We hire a head coach that is strong on one side of the ball or the other. Fine. Most teams do. In the case of Jauron, it was defense. In the case of Gailey, offense. Then, what *MOST* teams do is to allow that coach to hire a near-peer to captain the other side of the ball. The Bears fortunes turned this year when Lovie was allowed to hire Martz to handle the offense.

Ralph, for apparent cost reasons, does not allow this. He expects the head guy to know both sides of the ball. In most companies, that's reasonable. You expect your leadership to be able to do the WHOLE job. But, it just is not how the NFL works.

I don't think Gailey has such a big ego that it was his idea not to hire a Wannstedt-level guy to be DC. It's Ralph. He won't pay the second salary. Yes, this year Gailey is probably sensitive to George Edwards plight, and won't get rid of him now, but my point is that he never should have been DC to begin with. We all know that. If Gailey was hired as the offensive coach, then he should have (or been allowed to) hire a veteran defensive guru to run the defense. Things would have been better last year...things would be looking better this year. Some examples:

Green Bay: HC Mike McCarthy (offensive) - veteran Dom Capers runs the D

New Orleans: HC Sean Payton (offensive) - veteran Gregg Williams runs the D

Chicago: HC Lovie Smith (defensive) - veteran Mike Martz runs the O

Dallas: Decides to hire an offensive coach (Garret) and the first thing they do is go out and hire an experienced DC in Rob Ryan

and on, and on...

The Bills should have hired a "legitimate" Offensive Coordinator when Jauron was HC and should be hiring a "legitimate" (experienced, done it before with success at the NFL level) Defensive Coordinator now that Gailey is here to fix the offense.

My thought is why doesn't hire better coordinators? I think this all has to do with Ralph Wilson. The guy was burned by Tom Donahoe and we as fans are still seeing the residual of it.

There were plenty of opportunities to right this ship in last couple of years but instead Ralph decided to keep Dick Jauron and company and extra year and then hire Chan Gailey?.Let's face it Ghan Gailey was hired because this team is a mess and no reputable coach would want this disaster.It all about $$$$!!!!!

Question to everyone? Why the hell is Tom Modrak still employed here??? I could draft better then this clown!!!!!

My thought is why doesn't hire better coordinators? I think this all has to do with Ralph Wilson. The guy was burned by Tom Donahoe and we as fans are still seeing the residual of it.

There were plenty of opportunities to right this ship in last couple of years but instead Ralph decided to keep Dick Jauron and company and extra year and then hire Chan Gailey?.Let's face it Ghan Gailey was hired because this team is a mess and no reputable coach would want this disaster.It all about $$$$!!!!!

Question to everyone? Why the hell is Tom Modrak still employed here??? I could draft better then this clown!!!!!

Why? Obviously because you've never driven to Ralph's house & introduced yourself! Thanks a lot Rob! This is all your fault!

OK, Let’s look at two 7-9 teams in 09 to their approach to the 2010 season. Bears VS Bills

The Bears

Instead of firing their HC the hire 2 new Coordinators Ex coaches Rod Marinelli Def, Mike Martz Of.

Went and spent $$$ in Free agency Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor Etc.

Result 11-5

And now they are in the NFC championship

The Bills

Fire the coach and staff and hire Chan Gailey. Hire 2 coordinators.. Who are they?

Went and spent a few bucks on Akin Ayodele and Dwan Edwards.

Result 4-12

3rd pick in the draft

Turning a 7-9 team around in one year can be done. It takes the will of an owner to want to win and spend some money.

As Bills fans we are getting SCREWED!!!

I think you are right on. They hired OC and DC that are experienced at those positions and that have been head coaches before. I like Galey but we got cheated with Edwards big time. Now I see all kinds of teams improving themselves with new OC and DC and we do nothing

Let me state first I am not a Jauron defender. Was hoping for him to get canned as much as the next guy.

BUT...the problem there was the same as the problem we have now. We hire a head coach that is strong on one side of the ball or the other. Fine. Most teams do. In the case of Jauron, it was defense. In the case of Gailey, offense. Then, what *MOST* teams do is to allow that coach to hire a near-peer to captain the other side of the ball. The Bears fortunes turned this year when Lovie was allowed to hire Martz to handle the offense.

Ralph, for apparent cost reasons, does not allow this. He expects the head guy to know both sides of the ball. In most companies, that's reasonable. You expect your leadership to be able to do the WHOLE job. But, it just is not how the NFL works.

I don't think Gailey has such a big ego that it was his idea not to hire a Wannstedt-level guy to be DC. It's Ralph. He won't pay the second salary. Yes, this year Gailey is probably sensitive to George Edwards plight, and won't get rid of him now, but my point is that he never should have been DC to begin with. We all know that. If Gailey was hired as the offensive coach, then he should have (or been allowed to) hire a veteran defensive guru to run the defense. Things would have been better last year...things would be looking better this year. Some examples:

Green Bay: HC Mike McCarthy (offensive) - veteran Dom Capers runs the D

New Orleans: HC Sean Payton (offensive) - veteran Gregg Williams runs the D

Chicago: HC Lovie Smith (defensive) - veteran Mike Martz runs the O

Dallas: Decides to hire an offensive coach (Garret) and the first thing they do is go out and hire an experienced DC in Rob Ryan

and on, and on...

The Bills should have hired a "legitimate" Offensive Coordinator when Jauron was HC and should be hiring a "legitimate" (experienced, done it before with success at the NFL level) Defensive Coordinator now that Gailey is here to fix the offense.

Very excellent post. Thank you.

OK, Let’s look at two 7-9 teams in 09 to their approach to the 2010 season. Bears VS Bills

The Bears

Instead of firing their HC the hire 2 new Coordinators Ex coaches Rod Marinelli Def, Mike Martz Of.

Went and spent $$$ in Free agency Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor Etc.

Result 11-5

And now they are in the NFC championship

The Bills

Fire the coach and staff and hire Chan Gailey. Hire 2 coordinators.. Who are they?

Went and spent a few bucks on Akin Ayodele and Dwan Edwards.

Result 4-12

3rd pick in the draft

Turning a 7-9 team around in one year can be done. It takes the will of an owner to want to win and spend some money.

As Bills fans we are getting SCREWED!!!

If the Bears were that good, then how come they only beat the Bills by 3 points this year?

Forget the record for a minute and tell me this 2010 team was less exciting to watch than the 2009 version. With the exception of Bobby April's departure, the full house-cleaning was absolutely mandatory. You can't build a brick mansion on a sink hole.

2009 Bills - sink hole

2009 Bears - not a sink hole

2010 Bills 4-12

2010 Bears - 11-5

The Bears were a few good pieces away from making the playoffs, the Bills were an entire competent coaching staff and about 18 good pieces away from making the playoffs. This comparison isn't worth getting upset over, and inciting all the "Ralph is a cheap bastard" comments. We all know he is old and cheap, but this was comparing apples to dog ****.

I'LL SECOND THIS ONE IT MAKES MUCH MORE SENSE !!!!!!

If the Bears were that good, then how come they only beat the Bills by 3 points this year?

You need to look at the team they had which was very good and then look at the schedule they played this year

DET 14 @ CHI 19

CHI 27 @ DAL 20

GB 17 @ CHI 20

CHI 3 @ NYG 17

CHI 23 @ CAR 6

SEA 23 @ CHI 20

WAS 17 @ CHI 14

CHI 22 @ BUF 19

MIN 13 @ CHI 27

CHI 16 @ MIA 0

PHI 26 @ CHI 31

CHI 24 @ DET 20