How two 7-9 teams go in different directions

OK, Let’s look at two 7-9 teams in 09 to their approach to the 2010 season. Bears VS Bills

The Bears

Instead of firing their HC the hire 2 new Coordinators Ex coaches Rod Marinelli Def, Mike Martz Of.

Went and spent $$$ in Free agency Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor Etc.

Result 11-5

And now they are in the NFC championship

The Bills

Fire the coach and staff and hire Chan Gailey. Hire 2 coordinators.. Who are they?

Went and spent a few bucks on Akin Ayodele and Dwan Edwards.

Result 4-12

3rd pick in the draft

Turning a 7-9 team around in one year can be done. It takes the will of an owner to want to win and spend some money.

As Bills fans we are getting SCREWED!!!

Forget the record for a minute and tell me this 2010 team was less exciting to watch than the 2009 version. With the exception of Bobby April's departure, the full house-cleaning was absolutely mandatory. You can't build a brick mansion on a sink hole.

2009 Bills - sink hole

2009 Bears - not a sink hole

2010 Bills 4-12

2010 Bears - 11-5

The Bears were a few good pieces away from making the playoffs, the Bills were an entire competent coaching staff and about 18 good pieces away from making the playoffs. This comparison isn't worth getting upset over, and inciting all the "Ralph is a cheap bastard" comments. We all know he is old and cheap, but this was comparing apples to dog ****.

Turning around a 7-9 team in one year can be done. Expecting Dick Jauron to captain that ship is ridiculous. He earned his pink slip.

I agree, and it was widely rumored Martz wanted to land in Buffalo. Did we make a mistake here? Then we have to look at each teams schedules...then Cutler vs. Fitz...& so many other things. But I like Rob's point...turnarounds can happen fast if some crucial pieces are fit into the puzzle. There are so many examples of this...(Miami a couple yrs ago for one). I think the big question is this: Is Nix capable of (1)Identifying our weaknesses & prioritizing them, & (2)Making the best decisions for a quick turnaround. Quite frankly, I am having my doubts. I guess we'll know the answer a year from now.

OK, Let’s look at two 7-9 teams in 09 to their approach to the 2010 season. Bears VS Bills

The Bears

Instead of firing their HC the hire 2 new Coordinators Ex coaches Rod Marinelli Def, Mike Martz Of.

Went and spent $$$ in Free agency Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor Etc.

Result 11-5

And now they are in the NFC championship

The Bills

Fire the coach and staff and hire Chan Gailey. Hire 2 coordinators.. Who are they?

Went and spent a few bucks on Akin Ayodele and Dwan Edwards.

Result 4-12

3rd pick in the draft

Turning a 7-9 team around in one year can be done. It takes the will of an owner to want to win and spend some money.

As Bills fans we are getting SCREWED!!!

Try checking rosters before making such an analogy. The Bears had far more talent thant the Bills but majorly underachieved. The Bills had a bad team and bad coaching and a gimme game when the starters didn't play. You can't compare those two teams.

and you know what, 2011 will be just about the same. 1-5 in the division best case--that is a given. Split the rest of the games against the AFC West and NFC East and you are 6 - 10 if the moon and stars align. 5-11 probably a better bet. Then we trade up and get Luck-y (hopefully). By midseason, you'll be hoping the Bills lose out. Sorry, this team will be better next year (because we can't be any worse - I think), but the schedule is tough again.

The bills record in 2009 was 6-10, and they over achieved. The Bears still have many players who were on the 2006 Superbowl losing team. They were not equal to the Bills in talent last year by any means. That being said this organization has been spinning it's wheels for over a decade. Let's hope we are finally in the right track. I have way mire confidence in Chan that any coach we've had since Marv, although I'm very worried by the defense under Edwards' tutelage. I cannot understand why Chan, who admits that he has little to do with the defensive side of the ball, entrust his future to such an inexperienced suspect coordinator. It's like he's the opposite of DJ who always picked inexperienced offensive coordinators who never turned out to be any good. DJ did this twice in Chicago and twice in Buffalo. I believe he did this because he was afraid that his control would be undermined and his job would be threatened. It ultimately cost him his job in both places. I hope Chan does not make these repeated mistakes. If our D stinks again next year he must fire Edwards and hire a real DC with a good resume.

I have way mire confidence in Chan that any coach we've had since Marv,

Here are three reasons of many why I don't share your confidence

(1) They couldn't turn in their Spiller pick fast enuf on draft day..as if to shout to the world that Spiller was the next NFL superstar. Clearly he was luxury pick...we didn't need a running back...& we failed to address other real needs.

(2) Chan defended Edwards to the hilt when some kids at practice heckled him. Why did these kids do that?... cause they knew what most of us on this board already knew...that TE was a great QB...in practice...that when real bullets were flying, he was a scared diva in stilettos. Then a month later Chan gives TE his marching papers south. Precious time was wasted! This makes one wonder if Chan watched any film from '09.

(3) The horrendous showing of this team our last two games against our division rivals. We badly needed to make a statement. Well, we made one alright! Clearly Chan did not have this team anywhere near ready.

Nix & Chan (CHIX) are already leaving their fingerprints on this team...& it ain't lookin' pretty. The only confidence I have right now is that perhaps our beloved Bills can win five games next year. Man I hope they prove me wrong!

Turning around a 7-9 team in one year can be done. Expecting Dick Jauron to captain that ship is ridiculous. He earned his pink slip.

Let me state first I am not a Jauron defender. Was hoping for him to get canned as much as the next guy.

BUT...the problem there was the same as the problem we have now. We hire a head coach that is strong on one side of the ball or the other. Fine. Most teams do. In the case of Jauron, it was defense. In the case of Gailey, offense. Then, what *MOST* teams do is to allow that coach to hire a near-peer to captain the other side of the ball. The Bears fortunes turned this year when Lovie was allowed to hire Martz to handle the offense.

Ralph, for apparent cost reasons, does not allow this. He expects the head guy to know both sides of the ball. In most companies, that's reasonable. You expect your leadership to be able to do the WHOLE job. But, it just is not how the NFL works.

I don't think Gailey has such a big ego that it was his idea not to hire a Wannstedt-level guy to be DC. It's Ralph. He won't pay the second salary. Yes, this year Gailey is probably sensitive to George Edwards plight, and won't get rid of him now, but my point is that he never should have been DC to begin with. We all know that. If Gailey was hired as the offensive coach, then he should have (or been allowed to) hire a veteran defensive guru to run the defense. Things would have been better last year...things would be looking better this year. Some examples:

Green Bay: HC Mike McCarthy (offensive) - veteran Dom Capers runs the D

New Orleans: HC Sean Payton (offensive) - veteran Gregg Williams runs the D

Chicago: HC Lovie Smith (defensive) - veteran Mike Martz runs the O

Dallas: Decides to hire an offensive coach (Garret) and the first thing they do is go out and hire an experienced DC in Rob Ryan

and on, and on...

The Bills should have hired a "legitimate" Offensive Coordinator when Jauron was HC and should be hiring a "legitimate" (experienced, done it before with success at the NFL level) Defensive Coordinator now that Gailey is here to fix the offense.

Edited by FightClub

You fail to look at what the overall roster of each of these teams was. The Bears had a solid D and just needed one cog, The O had a good running game and OL. The bills however had a young OL and mostly unskilled Defense. Adding Peppers may have helped generate some rush but teams killed us on the ground and had been doing so for a few years. What FAs could we have signed to fix the D????? I agree that it would have been nice to add experience at both coordinators and still concerned that the current DC is over his head.

Here are three reasons of many why I don't share your confidence

(1) They couldn't turn in their Spiller pick fast enuf on draft day..as if to shout to the world that Spiller was the next NFL superstar. Clearly he was luxury pick...we didn't need a running back...& we failed to address other real needs.

(2) Chan defended Edwards to the hilt when some kids at practice heckled him. Why did these kids do that?... cause they knew what most of us on this board already knew...that TE was a great QB...in practice...that when real bullets were flying, he was a scared diva in stilettos. Then a month later Chan gives TE his marching papers south. Precious time was wasted! This makes one wonder if Chan watched any film from '09.

(3) The horrendous showing of this team our last two games against our division rivals. We badly needed to make a statement. Well, we made one alright! Clearly Chan did not have this team anywhere near ready.

Nix & Chan (CHIX) are already leaving their fingerprints on this team...& it ain't lookin' pretty. The only confidence I have right now is that perhaps our beloved Bills can win five games next year. Man I hope they prove me wrong!

I agree completely except for number 3. The Bills are light years behind both the Jets and Pats in talent (coaching, management, as well as players in my opinion). No one coach could "coach up" that group of players to be competitive with those teams. The fact that it was the Jets scrubs makes that point even more disturbing and shows just how wide the gap currently is.

I agree completely except for number 3. The Bills are light years behind both the Jets and Pats in talent (coaching, management, as well as players in my opinion). No one coach could "coach up" that group of players to be competitive with those teams. The fact that it was the Jets scrubs makes that point even more disturbing and shows just how wide the gap currently is.

I would agree with you CodeMonkey if it weren't for our performances against the Ravens & the Steelers. I live in Steelers country & I tell everybody here, "You do know we really won that game, don't you?" The response is always the same...they hang their heads a tad & say, "Yeah, I know". I enjoyed the piece Brian Baldinger did on the NFL network...he pointed out all the changes Rex Ryan made for the playoff game against the Pats from when they played them at the end of reg season & got a shellacking. In viewing that regular season game one would think the gap was huge...but that wasn't the case. The appearance of a huge gap was caused by an improper game plan by the Jets. Ryan made the necessary adjustments by studying the film of the game, then putting his defense into coverage packages instead of blitz packages... & voila...Belicheat is watching the championship game on TV this coming weekend instead of playing in it. I don't think the gap between us & our last two opponnents is as big as you think. I question whether Gailey can study film & make adjustments in time. In my opinion, he's been slow in spotting problems & fixing them...same problem Jauron had. Again, go back to the Trent Edwards situation...how long did it take him to figure it out?

The Bears

The rest of your Post may have been awesome but I stopped reading it right there...To suggest Jauron should not have been s-canned is ridiculous...He was a terrible HC and not even in Lovie Smith's league...And Lovie's not all that...So that should tell you how bad Jauron was...

Next... B-)

Perry Fewell was able to. With the Pats having almost that same talent (less Hernandez and Gronkowski but plus Moss) we played them towards the end of the season the year before and only lost by a touchdown.

Perry Fewell was able to. With the Pats having almost that same talent (less Hernandez and Gronkowski but plus Moss) we played them towards the end of the season the year before and only lost by a touchdown.

I'm glad you brought up Perry Fewell. Many of us thought that after the Jauron firing that Bobby April should have been named Interim Head Coach & that we should have left Perry Fewell right where he was & left his job intact. I for one was in that camp. With hindsight being 20/20, I think it's clear that would have been the way to go...whether Chan was hired later or not. It just seems like at every fork in the road we turn the wrong freaken way 90% of the time. Sheesh! I swear that 90% of the posters on this board could have had a better Win/Loss record the last decade being GM of this team. This club won't turn around until better decisions are made...makes me crazy!

I would agree with you CodeMonkey if it weren't for our performances against the Ravens & the Steelers. I live in Steelers country & I tell everybody here, "You do know we really won that game, don't you?" The response is always the same...they hang their heads a tad & say, "Yeah, I know". I enjoyed the piece Brian Baldinger did on the NFL network...he pointed out all the changes Rex Ryan made for the playoff game against the Pats from when they played them at the end of reg season & got a shellacking. In viewing that regular season game one would think the gap was huge...but that wasn't the case. The appearance of a huge gap was caused by an improper game plan by the Jets. Ryan made the necessary adjustments by studying the film of the game, then putting his defense into coverage packages instead of blitz packages... & voila...Belicheat is watching the championship game on TV this coming weekend instead of playing in it. I don't think the gap between us & our last two opponnents is as big as you think. I question whether Gailey can study film & make adjustments in time. In my opinion, he's been slow in spotting problems & fixing them...same problem Jauron had. Again, go back to the Trent Edwards situation...how long did it take him to figure it out?

i understand your points, and I would agree. Like I said earlier that the Bills are light years behind in coaching as well.

As far as "winning" the steelers game goes, any given Sunday and all that. Plus I don't think the Ravens or the Steelers this year are all that. But you can't think that the talent level of the Bills is anywhere near that of either the Jets or Pats do you?