Do we need a QB in this Draft?

Astrobot

I want to find out how we at TSW stand about getting a QB in this draft. I have been carrying QB at P6 (pretty low; only P9 is lower) for the last 4 weeks, and this week the Correspondents'Mock Draft has us taking Scott Tolzien in Round6. Not a bad late round QB (I'd take Enderle) but should I just set our QB priority to P9, meaning no QB will be picked?

Astro

To appease the fans yea. Honestly though I dont see any future franchise qb's coming out of this draft. I honestly even thought Luck was overrated. He reminded me a lot of Eli Manning physicially. I dont think he was the can't miss prospect everyone made him out to be. Compared to the last few years since 04 I wouldn't rank him all that high coming out of college. If the Bills draft a qb I think it'll end up being Ponder. Hopefully they don't waste a top 3 pick on someone like Gabbert or Newton though.

the dilemma with qb is we need a franchise qb or no one at all, a serviceable one is a total waste - and yes we need that franchise qb to be priority 1 moving forward. trouble is, do you believe any are franchise qbs or not. if you do, is it someone you take at 3 or is it 34. for the case of a program like yours, its hard to input the right data. other positions we need a body where even ok is better then what we have. its hard to compare qb to any other position in the draft.

We need some bodies in camp and Brohm's outta here. Why not get a later rounder...could be a Brady. You never know.

On our Team Needs page, FOUR teams have the highest priority codes assigned (P1) at the QB position. Washington and SF could be added to this list. Tennessee and Detroit will also be looking to add depth.

Quite a few overrated QBs will likely go earlier than we might have expected. Especially Newton.

"Franchise quarterback" is probably the most over-used and meaningless expression I see on message boards. It used to refer to QBs who had Hall-of-Fame-worthy careers. Now it refers to any QB not on the Bills roster. Most of the problems fans assign to QB play have more to do with other less sexy positions that no one wants to upgrade with our high pick.

We have a more than adequate QB in Fitz. We have glaring needs on defense. Unless there is a QB that Nix & Gailey are convinced will be "the guy" for the next decade it would be a huge mistake to gamble on some draft hype.

PTR

"Franchise quarterback" is probably the most over-used and meaningless expression I see on message boards. It used to refer to QBs who had Hall-of-Fame-worthy careers. Now it refers to any QB not on the Bills roster. Most of the problems fans assign to QB play have more to do with other less sexy positions that no one wants to upgrade with our high pick.

We have a more than adequate QB in Fitz. We have glaring needs on defense. Unless there is a QB that Nix & Gailey are convinced will be "the guy" for the next decade it would be a huge mistake to gamble on some draft hype.

PTR

I've posted this elsewhere but what is the first word in the term Franchise QB? To me you build the best team and then if your able to get an above average QB in Round 1 in the draft then go for it. To me if the Bills can build an above average D and strong running game then we don't need an elite to win.

Not necessarily in the draft, not if there isn't anyone good there. But in all likelihood we do need to find another QB somewhere. Brohm is a bust and I bet he's not on the roster next year, and Brown isn't ready. We either need somene to come in and backup Fitz or compete for the starting job.

Yes. They have to get a QB early this year for me to have hope in this team for the future. All 4 remaining teams in the playoffs drafted their QB's in round one. Plus, we will probably have to sit on a new QB for a year. this is the perfect year since we have Fitz signed only through next season. I cant see the Bills giving Fitz a big long term contract extension and I cant see them going in to next year with Levi Brown as the backup. I don't even think Brohm makes it to training camp. I for one will be EXTREMELY disappointed if we do not get a QB with our 1st or 2nd. I know that it is all a crapshoot but I would like to see Gailey work with a guy who was talented enough in college to be considered a 1st round pick. Saying that a prospect is not worthy of the 3rd overall pick is all a matter that can only be resolved after a career has had a chance to play out.

Yes. They have to get a QB early this year for me to have hope in this team for the future. All 4 remaining teams in the playoffs drafted their QB's in round one. Plus, we will probably have to sit on a new QB for a year. this is the perfect year since we have Fitz signed only through next season. I cant see the Bills giving Fitz a big long term contract extension and I cant see them going in to next year with Levi Brown as the backup. I don't even think Brohm makes it to training camp. I for one will be EXTREMELY disappointed if we do not get a QB with our 1st or 2nd. I know that it is all a crapshoot but I would like to see Gailey work with a guy who was talented enough in college to be considered a 1st round pick. Saying that a prospect is not worthy of the 3rd overall pick is all a matter that can only be resolved after a career has had a chance to play out.

If a guys not there and you reach, the flip side is that it's a disaster. Plenty of teams have wrecked themselves for years by doing just that. Some more recent ones:

9ers/Alex Smith

Raiders/Jamarcus Russell

Lions/Joey Harrington

Texans/David Carr

Not necessarily in the draft, not if there isn't anyone good there. But in all likelihood we do need to find another QB somewhere. Brohm is a bust and I bet he's not on the roster next year, and Brown isn't ready. We either need somene to come in and backup Fitz or compete for the starting job.

I agree that Brohm has to go but the list of UFA isn't all that attractive. The most intriguing name to me is Marc Bulger as think he has what it takes to be a serviceable veteran backup in the Marc Brunell/Jon Kitna mold that could be a good #2 behind a #1 Fitz and #3 Brown. Yet instead could see us getting a guy like Brodie Croyle since he has ties to Gailey and likely be more affordable.

OK, but he better be able to stuff the run and rush the passer too.

If a guys not there and you reach, the flip side is that it's a disaster. Plenty of teams have wrecked themselves for years by doing just that. Some more recent ones:

9ers/Alex Smith

Raiders/Jamarcus Russell

Lions/Joey Harrington

Texans/David Carr

JP Losman anyone?

9ers/Alex Smith

Raiders/Jamarcus Russell

Lions/Joey Harrington

Texans/David Carr

Agreed you can wreck your franchise if you miss but you can wreck it with any miss at #3 overall. You can list draft busts and steals at any position.

I am not saying the Bills will take a QB at 3, I am just hoping they get one of the QB's this year considered a top 5 at the position....I would like to see them leverage their 2nd, and their 4th from Lynch to get back into the first to get a top QB. The frustrating part is that there are so many holes so it's easy to say we need everything. But you have to start with a QB. Beyond Fairley (who will probably be gone at 3), I think the rest of these DL either dont fit our scheme or are a bigger risk than some of the QB's coming out. It's easy for the rest of the league to look at the Bills and laugh about Maybin, but back when he was picked, most Mock Drafts had him going right around where they picked him. I think D-Line, O-Line and LB can be addressed with FA and the rest of the draft.

Edited by Chicken Wing '73

Right, how could I forget?!! :doh:

Still bummed Big Ben was taken ahead of us that year. :cry:

I'm still bummed we traded up to get him where could have stayed put in taken Matt Schaub in Round 3 that same draft (instead of Tim Anderson) or had we kept the Round 1 gave up the following year and taken Aaron Rodgers.

Agreed you can wreck your franchise if you miss but you can wreck it with any miss at #3 overall. You can list draft busts and steals at any position.

I am not saying the Bills will take a QB at 3, I am just hoping they get one of the QB's this year considered a top 5 at the position....I would like to see them leverage their 2nd, and their 4th from Lynch to get back into the first to get a top QB. The frustrating part is that there are so many holes so it's easy to say we need everything. But you have to start with a QB. Beyond Fairley (who will probably be gone at 3), I think the rest of these DL either dont fit our scheme or are a bigger risk than some of the QB's coming out. It's easy for the rest of the league to look at the Bills and laugh about Maybin, but back when he was picked, most Mock Drafts had him going right around where they picked him. I think D-Line, O-Line and LB can be addressed with FA and the rest of the draft.

The problem is the QB your most important and visible position. A bad one does the most damage to your team and a 1st rounder requires the greatest commitment. A lot easier to yank a DT or LB thats not working out and find a decent replacement.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack