Do we need a QB in this Draft?

Astrobot

If a guys not there and you reach, the flip side is that it's a disaster. Plenty of teams have wrecked themselves for years by doing just that. Some more recent ones:

9ers/Alex Smith

Raiders/Jamarcus Russell

Lions/Joey Harrington

Texans/David Carr

Peyton Manning

Philip Rivers

Sam Bradford

Matt Ryan

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair

These guys helped their franchise. So what do you have to say about that?

The problem is the QB your most important and visible position. A bad one does the most damage to your team and a 1st rounder requires the greatest commitment. A lot easier to yank a DT or LB thats not working out and find a decent replacement.

How many years did the Texans invest in Carr? Everyone acts like any QB you pick high is automatically your savior. Carr was #1 overall in 2002. How did that work out? How about Joey Harrington #3 overall? He was a pip, wasn't he?

PTR

Peyton Manning

Philip Rivers

Sam Bradford

Matt Ryan

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair

What I say is even drafting high nothing is guaranteed. So if you aren't sure about a guy don't waste a pick.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Peyton Manning

Philip Rivers

Sam Bradford

Matt Ryan

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair

Never said don't draft a QB in Rd 1. Just said dont reach. And with Luck out, all the others represent a reach at #3 to me.

No Fitz is our guy for the 2011 season. He earned it surround him with better players and I think he plays winning caliber football. Too many needs on the D and at other positions on the offense to pick a QB.

I will say this that we should look to free agency for a veteran backup. Brohm needs to be pressured by a vet to keep his backup job.

I agree that Brohm has to go but the list of UFA isn't all that attractive. The most intriguing name to me is Marc Bulger as think he has what it takes to be a serviceable veteran backup in the Marc Brunell/Jon Kitna mold that could be a good #2 behind a #1 Fitz and #3 Brown. Yet instead could see us getting a guy like Brodie Croyle since he has ties to Gailey and likely be more affordable.

I think that has merit. If you keep Fitz as starter, lose Brohm and draft a QB, that leaves Brown and a rookie as backups. Too risky if Fitz goes down.

I agree with all that are saying we need competition in camp, no matter who we bring in Fitz is the man next year and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do with a whole year under Chan and the offense. I bet he is a pro bowler next year with this team going 8-8. I still think we should bring in Alex Smith if we can get him, he didn't get the best coaching in SF and he is the type of QB that could be a good back up in Chan's system. The guy still has a great arm and is mobile, like I said look at his coaching the only year he showed any improvement was when Norv was is Offensive Coordinator. He would be worth looking at is all i am saying, and he is probably better than any QB in this class the QB's class is not next year but 2013 that kid out of Georgia is going to be a stud.

I want to find out how we at TSW stand about getting a QB in this draft. I have been carrying QB at P6 (pretty low; only P9 is lower) for the last 4 weeks, and this week the Correspondents'Mock Draft has us taking Scott Tolzien in Round6. Not a bad late round QB (I'd take Enderle) but should I just set our QB priority to P9, meaning no QB will be picked?

Astro

This team has many holes to fill but I don't think one of them is starting QB. We probably should look for a capable backup though. Brohm was horrid against the Jets.

I want to find out how we at TSW stand about getting a QB in this draft. I have been carrying QB at P6 (pretty low; only P9 is lower) for the last 4 weeks, and this week the Correspondents'Mock Draft has us taking Scott Tolzien in Round6. Not a bad late round QB (I'd take Enderle) but should I just set our QB priority to P9, meaning no QB will be picked?

Astro

Free Agent to replace Brohm and that is all. Get the lines fixed!

Don't draft a QB. Draft to fill the holes on D and Oline. That will make Fitz better. Pick up either Alex Smith or Troy Smith or Tavaris Jackson or Marc Bulger to back up Fitz. I suspect the team will be good enough next year that we'll need a real backup QB in case Fitz gets hurt and we need to win some games.

"Frachise QB"s are needed, but you don't have to get them first and let them play on a crappy team. Build the team up and then plug in the best QB you can get. That is also a SB winning strategy. Just ask the Bucs or Ravens or Giants or Redskins or Saints.

Yes. They have to get a QB early this year for me to have hope in this team for the future. All 4 remaining teams in the playoffs drafted their QB's in round one. Plus, we will probably have to sit on a new QB for a year. this is the perfect year since we have Fitz signed only through next season. I cant see the Bills giving Fitz a big long term contract extension and I cant see them going in to next year with Levi Brown as the backup. I don't even think Brohm makes it to training camp. I for one will be EXTREMELY disappointed if we do not get a QB with our 1st or 2nd. I know that it is all a crapshoot but I would like to see Gailey work with a guy who was talented enough in college to be considered a 1st round pick. Saying that a prospect is not worthy of the 3rd overall pick is all a matter that can only be resolved after a career has had a chance to play out.

The 4 teams left in the playoffs also have defenses that can sack the qb and not give up 200ypg rushing to 2nd stringers. We need to fix the D!

After taking the BPA with the third pick, the Bills could always go for someone like Pat Devlin or Christian Ponder in the second round and hope for the best.

I think we need to be leary of last names...remember Los(s)man? Devlin is too close to devil, & Ponder sounds like someone who could get sacked a lot while he's "pondering". We need someone who can man the fort...like another Manning. And there's nothing like a cool Brees on a hot team. As long as we don't get a green Leaf who can turn colorful...then turn brown & fall, we'll be ok.

IMHO, the #1 advantage of Fitz's play last year is that he has taken away the NEED to draft a high round QB and has made it a "want" .... if the brain trust at OBD feels there is a QB worthy of our #1 pick then more power to them ... if they are not 100% convinced there is a QB in this draft worth our first round pick they don't have to try a despiration gamble.

We may want a better QB but;

we NEED a better run stopper

we NEED a better pass rusher

we NEED a better RT

QB is an absolute position of need. Yet, even if a QB is taken at #3, Fitz will still be the team's starting QB in 2011. And he should be. That gives the Bills a tremendous amount of flexibility in terms of being able to pick their spot when it comes to picking a QB. Like Joe said, there's no need to force it. The last thing the Bills should do is reach for a QB. If, after the workouts and interviews they feel Newton or Gabbert is indeed a franchise type QB then they should definitely pull the trigger. If they aren't sure, then it would be a disaster to reach for a QB just to satisfy the fans.

If they reach for a QB in the first or second round, they're committed to him for at least 3 seasons. So they have to be sure. And with this front office, I'm not sure I can trust their judgment as their moves up until this point have been suspect at best and catastrophic at worst.

All that said, I don't want to see the Bills use a draft pick on a QB -- even in the later rounds. I'd rather they sign a veteran backup to Fitz through Free Agency and fill out the "camp meat" slots through cheap UFAs as camp nears. The draft picks should be spent bulking up the numerous holes on the team. My order of importance are:

1. LBs (This team has the worst LB corps in the NFL and has for the past few seasons).

2. DE/DT (Depends on the scheme they wish to run, but a pass rushing threat is needed as is a beastly NT)

3. OT (Left or Right, Bell can flip to whichever side they don't address)

4. TE (This can't be stressed enough ... a play making TE is a huge need)

5. RG (Keep wood at center, find a nasty run blocking RG)

6. DB (This team does need some improvements in the secondary, but like some on here I agree that fixing the front 7 will only help the DBs we have now. Taking Peterson at 3 would be a mistake -- but it is a position of need)

The need for a QB trumps all on that list -- but with Fitz capable of leading this team to respectability (though not a Super Bowl), there's no need to reach for a QB just to have one.

Edited by tgreg99