CBA

wooly22

If the CBA does not get done until training camp, does that mean the Bills would have the rights to Whitner, Florence, Poz and the other free agents, because the free agency period never happened? If so would their contracts be based off of this last years contract or what?

Edited by wooly22

If the CBA does not get done until training camp, does that mean the Bills would have the rights to Whitner, Florence, Poz and the other free agents, because the free agency period never happened? If so would their contracts be based off of this last years contract or what?

I am pretty sure there is no contingency in place, at least not one known to the public...I think it is sort of a "play it by ear" thing.

Should that happen I imagine a clause that everyone will become a UFA the day that it is signed. The only other possibility would be an RFA type of situation, which I doubt the union considers.

Edited by NoSaint

I highly doubt the players would agree to a scenario that will allow for this. My guess is that there will be some sort of rushed FA period where teams and players will be able to work out deals.

I agree.I do however also think that situations like this, time to sign draft choices, etc, will create a situation where the owners may be more willing to wipe out the entire season rather than having to rush things through if something is signed after August 1st. At that point the owners may figure, not worth trying to salvage the season, the longer we hold out now, the better deal the owners get as the players will more likely cave once the checks stop soming in.

I highly doubt the players would agree to a scenario that will allow for this. My guess is that there will be some sort of rushed FA period where teams and players will be able to work out deals.

I agree.I do however also think that situations like this, time to sign draft choices, etc, will create a situation where the owners may be more willing to wipe out the entire season rather than having to rush things through if something is signed after August 1st. At that point the owners may figure, not worth trying to salvage the season, the longer we hold out now, the better deal the owners get as the players will more likely cave once the checks stop soming in.

I think that there is at minimum a one month period needed for free agents, camps, and letting new coaches meet there teams. I also think you need atleast 10 games to play a season. That would essentially mean 6 division games and 4 against another division. Pair divisions based on natural rivalries to help bring fans back - example afce and afcc.

I think if it goes beyond that, you scrap the season.

I have to imagine the league has a couple plans -

Signed by June 1 business as usual, July 1 accelerate camps, add some 2 a days maybe, august sometime reduce the length of the season, sept 1 scrap the season

Edited by NoSaint

IF they do wipe out the season & play no football games, then will we draft 3rd again - 2 Aprils in a row???

They will probably go with a similar approach to what the NHL took. They would have some sort of weighted lottery to determine the draft order. It makes the most sense and avoids most teams complaining about Carolina getting 2 #1s in a row.

Once a CBA is signed you will likely see a 3 week period of free agency 1 week to sign your guys 2 weeks of open free agency. Then a quick 2 week training camp and a 1-2 week pre-season. After the CBA is signed it will likely take 7 weeks for the regular season to start assuming a CBA gets signed later then the season should start.

when a cba is reached they all become free agents its as simple as that.

Well working backwards, that would indicate that if nothing is signed by mid Sept or so, likely done for the year. Last time there was a work stoppage was what 1987?? There was no free agency, training camp a bit longer and all the off seaosn mini camps either didn'tyet exist or were much shorter. Made tings much easier to crank things back up again.

Actualy got me thinking, when did all the spring practice season an mini camps start happening? It wasn't always like that.

Once a CBA is signed you will likely see a 3 week period of free agency 1 week to sign your guys 2 weeks of open free agency. Then a quick 2 week training camp and a 1-2 week pre-season. After the CBA is signed it will likely take 7 weeks for the regular season to start assuming a CBA gets signed later then the season should start.

No. Their contract ended. They are no employees of the Buffalo Bills after February of 2011.