The NFL needs to tear down the current draft system and replace it...

SDS

Just what we need. Have the Patriots win the Super Bowl, only to be punished with the top pick in the draft so they can take a guys like Suh.

Before it's all over, the Pats will have Luck on the roster as the heir-apparent to Brady. They probably persuaded him to stay in school another year.

Signed, Bill B's Conscience :devil:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think to solution is giving the bad teams more picks, not higher ones. Maybe like all teams that have 3 or less wins get an extra 2nd and 4th like they give out the compensatory picks. teams that win 4-7 games gets 3rd and 5th, while playoff teams get nothing extra or even lose their 6 and 7 rounders.

I propose a draft based on the game show Supermarket Sweep. GMs race each other with shopping carts and get to keep every player they can carry to checkout.

PTR

Brudda?

I like your idea better than mine

Be sporting - at least let them have flatbed carts

All the other GMs get to inspect Belichek's cart and their own to make sure his doesn't have non-standard super-glide teflon wheels and heavier duty bearings.

I purpose that the top 300 eligible players be gathered into a stadium wearing Velcro vests and a small Walmart type nametage, then each team will have two representatives, a spotter in the stands armed with binoculars and a locator armed with 7 Velcro team logos. The spotter and the locator will have electronic communications to allow the spotter to guide the locator. Teams locators will enter the field in order of worst to first with a five second delay between each team.

special rules.

1. The Pats locator will be blindfolded and have his feet tied together.

I hope you are joking? If not it is time to resign from the administration. Hell no to a lottery and the draft is just fine the way it is. The only changes I propose is that the Bills get 2 first round draft choices to make up for the last decade.

Only two? They need a lot more help than that.

Speaking of the 7th round...

Apparently there is an NFL by-law that prevents a team from having more than 10% of all the 7th round selections. This is to prevent the league from slipping back into "dynasty mode" as savvy teams would naturally pursue the tried and true strategy of accumulating the most late round picks to select the most marginal players.

This is really bad news. It's clearly the NFL's way of picking on the Bills and not letting them load up on picks in Modrak's Wheelhouse. The bastards. If the Bills could trade down and get all the 7th round picks, The Genius would surely find 3 or 5 little Dutch boys to plug some holes in the lineup and maybe even a special teams player or two.

be rewarded with those valuable lower drafts picks? Why should the worst teams be forced to settle with high draft picks and unlimited choice?

It is so back-asswards.

The NFL needs to see the light and start saddling the best teams with the highest draft picks. Let the bad teams gorge themselves on those juicy late round picks. In fact, I would like to see a lottery system where the worst teams draw balls to see who picks at the bottom of the 2nd round.

Thoughts?

That's a great idea, because then winning wouldn't hurt the franchise.

I have a solution for the Bills drafting futility. For the sake of parity the commissioner should allow the laughable teams like the Bills to spy the draft boards of the teams that draft well, such as the Pats, Ravens, Packers and Steelers. In that way, the incompetent and weird drafting franchises such as the Bills and Raiders have a better chance at achieving parity than in the current flawd parity system.

I like your thinking. :thumbsup: A lifeline as in Who Wants To Be A Millionaire's "phone a friend" or Cash Cab's "street shout-out" could be the remedy to our decade + streak of futility.

One on hand I can understand your rationale of thinking - why should the GOOD teams be punished with lower picks?

On the other hand you have to remember the NFL's goal - parity.

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut (Bradford, Matt Ryan, etc..) to turn around their franchise.

Plus, the good teams usually remain good because of great management. They just don't get first dibs on the PERCEIVED top picks.

Look at some of the teams in the playoffs - NE, PITT, BALT, NYJ, GB. Look at some of the teams who lost in the first week of the playoffs. New Orleans, PHILLY, INDY. A good amount of these teams make the playoffs every year. They don't need the help. The idiots who run teams like Buffalo, Detroit, and Cincy need all the help they can get to be competitive and fill stadiums. And that's what it comes down to - filling stadiums and drawing ratings. If a crap team remains crap for a long time, there's no need for them in the NFL. The more teams like this that the NFL can prevent from happening, the better for their bottom line.

I do have ONE idea that could switch things up a LITTLE bit. Instead of WORST record gets the top pick, do what the NHL does and have a lottery system for the teams with the lowest records. This would prevent teams from completely tanking it at the end of the season. In the NHL draft, the worst team (record wise) doesn't always get the first pick.

Rather than rearranging the deck chairs of the draft system, the change I would love to see is the NFL move to having a premiere and standard league with the top 3 or 4 teams in the two leagues moving up or down based on how they finished in the league.

The teams could then choose to invest or not invest to create a particular level of play. Further, there would be the excitement created by the best of the lower league teams striving to move up and also the worst of the upper league teams fighting to avoid relegation to a lower level of play.

Perhaps there could be some method of setting a salary cap so all teams are forced to spend a minimum amount to both reward all the players but also allow all the teams to potentially compete with each other (the best of the lower level teams would be operating with a smaller salary cap but due to their superior tactical play they can move up and thus qualify for greater fiscal reward).

The Bills would be interesting in this type of set-up. Clearly one of the best in the early 90s the system can be designed so the team did not undergo the salary cap driven bloodletting which forced to cut adequate ST guys leading to the Homerun Throw-up or having to overpay the John Finas of the world (good player and a good guy but not worth what the Bills paid him to keep an LT).

On the downside the Bills likely would have flirted with relegation to the second division based on their recent records.