Let the speculaiton begin - Cam Newton

Kipers Hair

he is not worthy of the 3rd pick. i think most of us agree with that statement. i hope buddy nix agrees with us. most intelligent football observers have cam slotted around the 10th to 15th pick. why take him at 3 or even 5 when his real value is 10 to 15? you are not maximizing the value of your picks if you spend a top 5 on cam.

and if we trade back to 10 only to see arizona take him at 5 then so be it. let arizona risk such a high value pick on a player who, most of us agree, should not be taken in the top 5. so we are stuck with the 10th pick at that point. that's where buddy picks up the phone(i'm assuming ralph will break down and pay the long distance charges on draft day) and flips #10 into a lot more picks or goes with plan B: pick another player worthy of a top 10 selection

How in the heck can you say this?

Do you have any idea how to actually evaluate a pro prospect? Have you done any film study on him or any of the other prospects? Have you met with him? Interviewed friends, family, teammates, coaches, etc? Have you broken down game film with him? Yeah, me neither.

Based on the 6-7 games I've seen him play, I am intrigued by his athleticism but I have no idea where he ranks in relation to the other QBs and any of the other pospects in the draft and for any of the people on this board to make the claim you did seems silly.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How in the heck can you say this?

Do you have any idea how to actually evaluate a pro prospect? Have you done any film study on him or any of the other prospects? Have you met with him? Interviewed friends, family, teammates, coaches, etc? Have you broken down game film with him? Yeah, me neither.

Based on the 6-7 games I've seen him play, I am intrigued by his athleticism but I have no idea where he ranks in relation to the other QBs and any of the other pospects in the draft and for any of the people on this board to make the claim you did seems silly.

yes. yes. no. no. no.

He's not a legitimate short term pro prospect, and the bills can't afford to waste a top 3 pick on a guy who's going to be riding the pine for 2 years and MIGHT then pan out...you can get guys like that in the 6th round. It would be a catastrophic mistake for the bills to draft Cam Newton at 3. He has almost none of the techinical qualities you look for in a QB except arm strength and size. He is not accurate, he has horrible footwork, he is not familiar with anything remotely close to a pro offense, he has a single read then run for your life pedigree, does not read defenses well, and he has character issues to top it off.

Anyone who sees him as a #3 overall is clueless. I'm not saying that the bills won't take him either, because after Aaron Maybin I think they're capable of anything..

yes. yes. no. no. no.

He's not a legitimate short term pro prospect, and the bills can't afford to waste a top 3 pick on a guy who's going to be riding the pine for 2 years and MIGHT then pan out...you can get guys like that in the 6th round. It would be a catastrophic mistake for the bills to draft Cam Newton at 3. He has almost none of the techinical qualities you look for in a QB except arm strength and size. He is not accurate, he has horrible footwork, he is not familiar with anything remotely close to a pro offense, he has a single read then run for your life pedigree, does not read defenses well, and he has character issues to top it off.

Anyone who sees him as a #3 overall is clueless. I'm not saying that the bills won't take him either, because after Aaron Maybin I think they're capable of anything..

I guess we'll see. It sucks that the labor strife will stop them from addressing any needs in Free agency before the draft and we have to debate this for 4 months with nothing else to discuss.

several first, second and third round picks have been used on both lines recently (Maybin, Wood, Levitre, Troup, Carrington)

Well then fire the scouting department and keep shooting until you hit the target. What some of you don't seem to understand is everything on offense and defense begins with the lines.

So Nix wants to go back on his word and draft a one-year wonder? Or... he'll draft a guy who played in the Big 10 with the 87th best YPA in college football this year. Them's the options at #3?

Yuck.

I agree.

Come on, if they draft Newton they'll finally have that huge TE, and then they can guarantee themselves Luck in 2012. :sick:

Ok I know you are going to think I'm just homering it up again but like I said i want to draft defense, defense, defense and I'm not sold on any of these QBs. That being said, in regards to Gabbert's YPA.....that is a result of two things that aren't really his fault. The first being the amount of bubble screens Mizzou runs, they use those out of the spread all the time kind of like an extra running play. The second being Mizzou's 2010 team lacked a single WR with great speed. In the past Gabbert and Daniel had guys like Maclin and Danario Alexander, this year Gabbert essentially had 4 possesion targets. Going into this year I was all about Ryan Mallet, so I took almost every opportunity to watch him this year and my opinion of him did a complete 180. The guy is going to be garbage in the NFL, his release takes FOREVER. He's going to get killed in the NFL. Some have compared him to Drew Bledsoe, I'd agree except Bledsoe got the ball out about 10 times faster. Anyway, IMO Gabbert is the best QB prospect in this draft but he's still not a very good one at that. Just say no to a QB and pray we get a crack at Fairley or Dareus. If we don't get a crack at one of those two I'll be really upset. A lot of mock's have Denver taking Peterson with the second pick but the truth is NFL GM's don't put the same stock in CBs as they do D-lineman. In fact in the last 10 years there has never been a CB taken in the top 3. I'm really hoping Fairley is there at 3, if not I'm praying Marcell Dareus is there at 3.

Edited by Stl Bills

He was worth that, in that draft. It's like your house. If someone gave you $500,000 for it, even if you think it's worth $100K, it's worth $500K on that day. Now, when the sucker who bought it tries to sell it on the open market, it's of course not worth that. But you have to look at the draft as a scenario where you're willing to spend certain assets to obtain others, and if you can benefit from the people who are really overvaluing something in your opinion, you jump at the opportunity. Likewise, if you see an undervalued asset, you take it, even if it doesn't look good to others, because you know better.

Gauging that is the hard work.

I messed up on Missouri - got my black and yellow confused and was thinking Iowa when I wrote that. Obviously a bad brain fart on my part. I'm not going around telling other people they don't have a !@#$ing clue, though. Regardless, Gabbert's YPA sucked this year. Care to argue this?

As for point #1, I was talking about Cam Newton (the primary topic of this thread and the guy mentioned by the person I was responding to), not Ryan Mallett (I am a Mallett fan). So maybe we both don't know what the !@#$ we're talking about! :lol: Lighten up, Francis.

The funny thing is that the guys in the sports bar could probably make better draft picks than our scouts.

No, its incredibly short-sighted, lazy, and down right ignorant to try to judge a player based ONLY on one game. No matter the importance of that game.

If you want to make it a part of the entire package of research, fine.

My point is that there are a large number of posters who only saw Newton once this year in that Championship game, and are forming their entire opinion off of it.

he had to make a 3 yard touch pass to an uncovered receiver to score an important td on 4th down and what happened? his ring tightened up and he threw it in the dirt.

:pirate:

Todd MCBeth on ESBN today did not have many good things to say about Newton as an NFL QB. He said he is not accurate in the pocket and Auburns offense is not similar to the NFL. He also questioned Newton's maturity

My brother frequents several sports bars and he gets alot of good info. He says the Bills will take Newton in the first round. I hope he is wrong, but he usually right

:pirate: I have a friend who goes to bars too ... it seems he comes up with all sorts of amazing reports from the psychics he talks with afterwards. Although he is still waiting to meet the beautiful blonde with the million dollar inheritance he knows that his sports predictions are 'spot on!' In fact, I think he may have even bumped into your brother coming out of Madame Zuma's $10 Psychic Sports Parlor ...

WE NEED DEFENSE ... forget the quarterback picks ... none are worthy of the #3 position in the draft. Although Fairley will probably be gone at #1, we still will benefit from our choice of several players who can have an impact such as Bowers from Clemson. Alabama's Dareus and even North Carolina's Quinn all are much better selections for the Bills at #3. No we do not need Von Miller (we were blessed with Van Miller for all those wonderful years that Von and his work hard when it makes him look good attitude can go elsewhere).

But, I'd tell your brother to go back to Madame Zuma :bag: and get his $10 back because Newton is not going to be a TOP FIVE pick at all .... :pirate:

The Buffalo Bills will take a hard look at Newton with the third overall choice.

Bills head coach Chan Gailey supports Ryan Fitzpatrick as his leader moving forward. But Bills general manager Buddy Nix might not agree, and owner Ralph Wilson will make the final call. If Wilson demands a quarterback, then the Bills will draft a quarterback. The options would appear to be Newton or Missouri's Blaine Gabbert.

If you really watch him play, if his first receiver choice is covered, he runs. I'm very doubtful he can deal with Pro D schemes. The Bills would be nuts to take him 3rd when the D really, really sucks and the O appears serviceable.

Senator, what's the thinking/basis for this "pines" statement?

Well, first, Nix has stated his preference for guys that are not 'one-year wonders' but rather for older, more mature guys that have played at least 30 games and have " lots of 'big-game' experience " - that decription would fit Mallett perfectly, having started 11 games for Michigan in 2007 and 26 for Arkansas, set 16 school records in 2009 on the way to being named Liberty Bowl MVP that year, then stayed in school another season when he was touted by some as a top 5 draft prospect last season.

Second, Mallett's more of a drop-back, pocket passer who eschewed playing in RichRod's spread offense at Michigan to come home to Arkansas and play in Petrino's pro-style offense, with a more balanced running/passing attack - which should serve Mallett well as the Bills develop him behind Fitzpatrick for a couple of years.

Third, and it's just a ' gut-feel ' of mine, but Buddy's a gool ol' boy from Alabama who's always scouted the South and loves the SEC - probably the NCAA's toughest conference. Mallett's a good ol' boy from Arkansas that fits just about every aspect of Nix's ' ideal prospect ' - I just think Buddy's real high on Mallett and is keeping that opinion ' close to the vest '.

JMO - we'll see on draft day.

If you really watch him play, if his first receiver choice is covered, he runs. I'm very doubtful he can deal with Pro D schemes. The Bills would be nuts to take him 3rd when the D really, really sucks and the O appears serviceable.

Yup, that was clearly on display the entire second half of the Oregon game. Newton's college totals:

Rushing Attempts: 285

Passing Attempts: 292

And people are suggesting this isn't a 'running QB'? Tommy Frazier says hi (for you kids out there, all Frazier did was win).

Yup, that was clearly on display the entire second half of the Oregon game. Newton's college totals:

And people are suggesting this isn't a 'running QB'? Tommy Frazier says hi (for you kids out there, all Frazier did was win).

Again another judgement based on one game...

And those numbers do NOT mean that there were 577 pass calls played. The majority of those runs were CALLED runs. Its not his fault the coaches called those plays. If you watch his SEASON worth of work, you will see that he does have the ability to find his 2nd and 3rd receivers before tucking the ball.

He does not tuck and run immediately. He HAD to in the Championship because the #1 pass rushing defense in the country was charged up and bearing downing on him all night.

Newton will not be our pick. He won't even be the BPA nor is it necessarily a position of need with Fitz's performance this year.

Not a position of need, if your ultimate goal is getting back to 7-9. We should be looking at the QBs and Gabe Carimi. If we got him and Moffitt, we could stop having a line that is the embarrassment of the league.

Again, why would you fault his game, and denigrate his game by saying he is a "run first" quarterback because he happens to be a 6'6 250 pound great runner. His team won every game because his coach realized he could dominate games by running, and then faking like he was going to run, and passing. He won every game he played at Auburn because of this double threat. That won't at all happen in the NFL because no coach is going to run his QB 20 times a game. But that doesn't at all mean that he cannot pass, or doesn't want to pass, or can only be effective by running first. The guy has a cannon for an arm, and he's accurate. The title game was by far his worst game, and he still won and threw for a couple TDs, and didnt throw too many stupid passes (he should have had 4-5 TDs but he missed a couple easy plays which he normally doesn't do).

This isn't an option QB, which doesn't translate to the NFL. Those are run first QBs. This isn't Vince Young or Tim Tebow who have to completely change their throwing motion in the NFL before they can be serious passers. Whoever says he takes off running if his first receiver is covered is just flat out wrong. Numerous plays in the championship game he looked for his second and third guys. He didn't look to run quickly at all.

In junior college the previous year he averaged 28 passes (336 attempts) and 9 runs (108 attempts) per game in 12 games. And he won the National Junior College Championship too.

I don't want to draft him #3 and I think he will need a lot of time on the bench in the NFL before he learns the game, but that's true of most QBs, and most positions in fact, of which QB is the toughest to learn and play.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Not sure if you are thinking of Terrell Pryor or something, but Newton is NOT a run first QB. In the SEC Championship alone, he passed for 335 yard and threw for 4 TDs and 0INTs. He put up multiple games of high passing numbers this season.

In the National Championship Game, the Buckeyes did their best at shutting him down as a running attack and forced him to hand off and pass, and Auburn won the game.

Just because he CAN run, and was VERY good at it, and Auburn called a lot of running plays to Cam, and he is black, does NOT mean he is a "Run-First" QB.

He has the arm and mechanics to make all of the throws. To that point, he could stand to improve his accuracy a little But thats about it.

With regards to Kellen Moore... that would be a complete waste of a pick as I bet the kid goes undrafted. His skill set is MINIMAL for what you need to make it in the league. He's no Flutie either.

Awww c'mon son... Stop making sense I mean really, you can't keep making sense on this board cuz the smart people will come out and get upset they'll call you all kinds of mean names too, even the moderators will join in and delete your posts...LOL...

Everyone really goes on that one game (national title game) not any of the other games he has played. I think he'll fit with Gailey's system better than the statue of mallet or the who aka blaine gibbert aka offensive aaron maybin. But id take fairly (even if he's a one year wonder) or bowers cuz our d-line is outright atrocious. But if those guys are gone I'm taking Cam let him sit a year watch Fitz or until Fitz starts looking like mr. hanky cuz its bound to happen.

Have a Nice Day :thumbsup: