Let the speculaiton begin - Cam Newton

Kipers Hair

The Buffalo Bills will take a hard look at Newton with the third overall choice.

Bills head coach Chan Gailey supports Ryan Fitzpatrick as his leader moving forward. But Bills general manager Buddy Nix might not agree, and owner Ralph Wilson will make the final call. If Wilson demands a quarterback, then the Bills will draft a quarterback. The options would appear to be Newton or Missouri's Blaine Gabbert.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Bills will take a hard look at Newton with the third overall choice.

Bills head coach Chan Gailey supports Ryan Fitzpatrick as his leader moving forward. But Bills general manager Buddy Nix might not agree, and owner Ralph Wilson will make the final call. If Wilson demands a quarterback, then the Bills will draft a quarterback. The options would appear to be Newton or Missouri's Blaine Gabbert.

Todd MCBeth on ESBN today did not have many good things to say about Newton as an NFL QB. He said he is not accurate in the pocket and Auburns offense is not similar to the NFL. He also questioned Newton's maturity

My brother frequents several sports bars and he gets alot of good info. He says the Bills will take Newton in the first round. I hope he is wrong, but he usually right

Todd MCBeth on ESBN today did not have many good things to say about Newton as an NFL QB. He said he is not accurate in the pocket and Auburns offense is not similar to the NFL. He also questioned Newton's maturity

WHOA WHOA WHOA

I saw that clip too and McShay had plenty of good things to say about Newton. He did a Pros and Cons list. Not just bad things.

The Cons were:

1. His current accuracy (not his arm) is a little less than where it needs to be, which McShay said could be worked on and developed through better footwork over the next few years.

2. That his Mental makeup was a large unknown at this point. But that NFL GMs would be working hard to get into his head and see where he is at right now. So it might turn out that the kid is focused and looking forward to working hard at a career in the NFL.

As for your constant mentioning of this "Sports Bar Brother"... :rolleyes:

Newton will not be our pick. He won't even be the BPA nor is it necessarily a position of need with Fitz's performance this year.

At this time, I am more intrigued by Gabbert than Newton. If our talent evaluators really think that he has the tools to be a special QB in this league, then he may be the pick at #3. I usually don't put much stock into pre-draft player comparisons, but I heard one draft analyst who compared Gabbert's skill set to Matt Ryan's.

after cam's so-so title game performance he can be had outside of the top 3 picks. probably outside of the top 10 and maybe top 15. i would not be surprised if this front office reached for him at 3. past history tells us this is what happen with bills front offices. take the guy they want in the first round regardless of where he should be taken.

a front office with intelligence would take a trenchman in with the 3rd pick. then deal back into the first 15 or so picks and take cam there.

God help the Bills if Newton is our 1st round pick with the 3rd choice. It is my belief that this move will finally put a dagger into many Bills fans hearts and you'll be looking at many more blackouts next year as fans give up in disgust.

On the positive side if the Bills feel they can best improve their team by taking Newton, then they may just be the front runners for the #1 overall draft choice in next years draft.

Let the speculation begin???

(You mean, it hasn't already been going on for months? :rolleyes: )

Buddy Nix pines for Ryan Mallett. If we take a QB in round one, it'll be Mallett - or no one.

So Nix wants to go back on his word and draft a one-year wonder? Or... he'll draft a guy who played in the Big 10 with the 87th best YPA in college football this year. Them's the options at #3?

Yuck.

If we take a QB in round one, it'll be Mallett - or no one.

I agree.

God help the Bills if Newton is our 1st round pick with the 3rd choice. It is my belief that this move will finally put a dagger into many Bills fans hearts and you'll be looking at many more blackouts next year as fans give up in disgust.

On the positive side if the Bills feel they can best improve their team by taking Newton, then they may just be the front runners for the #1 overall draft choice in next years draft.

Come on, if they draft Newton they'll finally have that huge TE, and then they can guarantee themselves Luck in 2012. :sick:

I have no problem if Gailey, Nix and the scouts feel that Newton, Gabbert or Mallett are worth using the #3 pick on. I only have a problem with it, if Ralph demands that a QB be drafted at #3 regardless of how their board looks. A change in ownership just can't happen fast enough. :angry:

Edited by LabattBlue

I agree.

After seeing almost every one of their games this season, Id say Mallett and Newton are about even to me, prospect-wise. They are both very good, but at different things. Both have question marks around their Mental aspect.

That being the case, Newton is the Qb that is much more suited to Gailey's offense and more the type of QB he's played with before.

Anyone basing their draft off of any only a player's performance in a bowl game is out of their mind.

Personally, Id rather see us go DL at #3, but if they go Newton I'll be on board with that as well. Give him a year to learn while Fitz steers the ship and our Line grows, and I think our offense could be top in the league.

I have no problem if Gailey, Nix and the scouts feel that Newton, Gabbert or Mallett are worth using the #3 pick on. I only have a problem with it, if Ralph demands that a QB be drafted at #3 regardless of how their board looks. A change in ownership just can't happen fast enough. :angry:

Agreed. And the funny part will be everyone calling for Modrak's head again. The guy just cant win with Ralph at the helm...

My brother frequents several sports bars and he gets alot of good info. He says the Bills will take Newton in the first round. I hope he is wrong, but he usually right

:rolleyes:

Are those sports bars packed with NFL scouts and GMs?

:lol:

After seeing almost every one of their games this season, Id say Mallett and Newton are about even to me, prospect-wise. They are both very good, but at different things. Both have question marks around their Mental aspect.

I am just not sure about that. I do agree that Cam's mobility helps him in a Gailey system and in a situation where the line can't protect well. But running first in the NFL will get him killed. I think he could be as good as Culpepper, but if you look at the latter's career, how much time does that buy you? We're hoping for 10-12 years out of the guy we get here. Also, I think Mallett has one of the best arms I've ever seen PLUS he's got two years of record to look at in the SEC, and has shown improvement. I'm arguing that is going to go a long way with Nix - not that I think it cements a decision, just that I think it goes a long way.

I'm actually not-so-secretly hoping we address DL / LB early and try and nab Kellen Moore if he declares and is there. Small, but he does it all, has plenty of history, is a winner, is smart, and the team would feel no pressure to yank Fitz until Moore's time is here. KM doesn't have all the measurables but I like him in R3-4 a lot better than I like any QB at #3 overall.

Already pointed out, but this is f***ing genius. :worthy:

I am just not sure about that. I do agree that Cam's mobility helps him in a Gailey system and in a situation where the line can't protect well. But running first in the NFL will get him killed. I think he could be as good as Culpepper, but if you look at the latter's career, how much time does that buy you? We're hoping for 10-12 years out of the guy we get here. Also, I think Mallett has one of the best arms I've ever seen PLUS he's got two years of record to look at in the SEC, and has shown improvement. I'm arguing that is going to go a long way with Nix - not that I think it cements a decision, just that I think it goes a long way.

I'm actually not-so-secretly hoping we address DL / LB early and try and nab Kellen Moore if he declares and is there. Small, but he does it all, has plenty of history, is a winner, is smart, and the team would feel no pressure to yank Fitz until Moore's time is here. KM doesn't have all the measurables but I like him in R3-4 a lot better than I like any QB at #3 overall.

Already pointed out, but this is f***ing genius. :worthy:

Not sure if you are thinking of Terrell Pryor or something, but Newton is NOT a run first QB. In the SEC Championship alone, he passed for 335 yard and threw for 4 TDs and 0INTs. He put up multiple games of high passing numbers this season.

In the National Championship Game, the Buckeyes did their best at shutting him down as a running attack and forced him to hand off and pass, and Auburn won the game.

Just because he CAN run, and was VERY good at it, and Auburn called a lot of running plays to Cam, and he is black, does NOT mean he is a "Run-First" QB.

He has the arm and mechanics to make all of the throws. To that point, he could stand to improve his accuracy a little But thats about it.

With regards to Kellen Moore... that would be a complete waste of a pick as I bet the kid goes undrafted. His skill set is MINIMAL for what you need to make it in the league. He's no Flutie either.

Edited by DrDankenstein