2nd Best Head Coach in Football?

Pretty much everyone would agree that Bill Belichick is the best coach in football. But who's #2?

Seems like there's a lack of quality HCs and a gulf between Belichick and the rest. But I'd nominate Ravens HC John Harbaugh. He inherited a team with a bad record. Some stars on defense, yes, but virtually no offense. They drafted wisely with Flacco, Ngata and Rice. And made good FA moves like acquiring Boldin. And they can win now with offense too.

Mike McCarthy in Green Bay I'd rate 3rd for the job they've done drafting and dealing with key injuries this season.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much everyone would agree that Bill Belichick is the best coach in football. But who's #2?

Seems like there's a lack of quality HCs and a gulf between Belichick and the rest. But I'd nominate Ravens HC John Harbaugh. He inherited a team with a bad record. Some stars on defense, yes, but virtually no offense. They drafted wisely with Flacco, Ngata and Rice. And made good FA moves like acquiring Boldin. And they can win now with offense too.

Mike McCarthy in Green Bay I'd rate 3rd for the job they've done drafting and dealing with key injuries this season.

I think Sean Payton is the second best coach.

Let's not forget about Mike Smith in Atlanta. Granted, they were able to draft Matt Ryan but think about all of the turmoil with Michael Vick, Booby Petrino, etc. before he got there.

Smith's three years in ATL:

2008 11-5 (Ryan's rookie year)

2009 9-7

2010 13-3 and a 1 seed in the NFC.

My vote goes for the unheralded Mike Smith.

Edited by ACor58

Mr. Smith in Atlanta hasn't been around too long, but he has a fantastic record. he's something like 44-4 at home, for example, and 44-2 with matt ryan starting. You can say that it's Matty ice who makes him a good coach, but you could say that about Belicick and most NFL coaches. I'd also consider Pittsburgh's head coach, Mike Tomlin, in this category.

But you're right, BB is in a class by himself. Interesting thing is, I believe if you sat Belichick down and asked him about competing against Gailey, he'd honestly tell you Chan is one of the better NFL minds.

Let's not forget about Mike Smith in Atlanta. Granted, they were able to draft Matt Ryan but think about all of the turmoil with Michael Vick, Booby Petrino, etc. before he got there.

Smith's three years in ATL:

2008 11-5 (Ryan's rookie year)

2009 9-7

2010 13-3 and a 1 seed in the NFC.

My vote goes for the unheralded Mike Smith.

I second this nomination. The Falcons are the best team that no one ever talks about.

The Falcons are the best team that no one ever talks about.

That is the perfect description. They have not had many National Televison games and even when they did it was on NFL Network. Not many people have seen a whole lot of them, but they have a balanced offense (5th in total scoring)and play defense (Averging 18 pts/g, which is 5th in the NFL).

That is the perfect description. They have not had many National Televison games and even when they did it was on NFL Network. Not many people have seen a whole lot of them, but they have a balanced offense (5th in total scoring)and play defense (Averging 18 pts/g, which is 5th in the NFL).

In fact, I daresay they're the ONLY team that could hang with the Patriettes offensively.

Are you talking about coaches or GMs? Because it's Ozzie Newsome that's making those moves.

And FWIW, Ngata got there long before Harbaugh.

Are you talking about coaches or GMs? Because it's Ozzie Newsome that's making those moves.

And FWIW, Ngata got there long before Harbaugh.

Well that's true, you're taking a leap of faith when you discuss HC's and draft choices. So I just assume they have a lot of input, no matter what the official lines of responsibilities are.

Before they retired, Dungy and Cowher were at least in the same zip code. If you look at their records, they're crazy good. Of those 2, I'd give Dungy the nod. More innovative and more success against Pats.

Dungy's regular season record is crazy good. His playoff record isn't. He's 7-6 despite all that talent (4 of his playoff wins came in one season--he had 3 wins in the other 6 years. 4 1st round losses). Against the pats, he's 4-5 (1-2 in playoff games). By the way, Cowher was 5-6 against the pats.

guess we could debate this all day.....my Top 5:

#1- Belichick

#2- Reid

#3- Tomlin

#4- Peyton

#5t- Fisher

#5t- Smith

Yah, there's a whole lot of "what did you do in 2010" recency bias itt. I'd take Coughlin, Reid, and Fisher over Harbough or Smith. Wake me up when the latter two are still coaching 10 years from now.

If we did this in 2006, Eric Mangini would've been in most people's top 5.

Edited by BuffOrange

guess we could debate this all day.....my Top 5:

#1- Belichick

#2- Reid

#3- Peyton

#4- Fisher

#5- Smith

I agree with almost all of your list. I took Tomlin out because he inherited a SB winning team in a franchise that is top notch from the owner on down. He hasnt put enough time in to prove to me that it's because of HIM they are winning and not the way the entire organization is run. I'd also say that if you were to list Tomlin, it should be listed as Tomlin/LeBeau. But I would agree that the Steelers STAFF is Top 5 in the league.

I agree with almost all of your list. I took Tomlin out because he inherited a SB winning team in a franchise that is top notch from the owner on down. He hasnt put enough time in to prove to me that it's because of HIM they are winning and not the way the entire organization is run. I'd also say that if you were to list Tomlin, it should be listed as Tomlin/LeBeau. But I would agree that the Steelers STAFF is Top 5 in the league.

I don't know, I think Tomlin is awesome. I realize the Steelers are a first rate organization, but they have not missed a beat with him, and, after a Super Bowl championship, his teams have been in the thick of things every year. This past off-season was about as bad as it can get for the Steelers, yet, they finish with the 2nd seed...and I am picking them to win the Super Bowl again...

Also, what Mike Smith has done in Atlanta is real impressive, particularly when you consider whant mess he stepped in to. He has handled what could have been a very chaotic situation in Atlanta, and has only led the franchise to its' first back to back (to back) winning seasons. I will be curious to see how they do this weekend.

Edited by Buftex

Pretty much everyone would agree that Bill Belichick is the best coach in football.

Yeah, he's a genius. Take Brady away and he's not such a genius anymore. The best coaches have great QB's. Shanahan was a genius when he had Elway, Tomlin looked good with PigBen and Farve made some coaches look great. Belicheat had marginal success as an HC until Brady was his QB.

Edited by Green Lightning

Yeah, he's a genius. Take Brady away and he's not such a genius anymore. The best coaches have great QB's. Shanahan was a genius when he had Elway, Tomlin looked good with PigBen and Farve made some coaches look great. Belicheat had marginal success as an HC until Brady was his QB.

Completely disagree. Brady is a product of Belichick, not the other way around. Look at how the Pats didnt even skip a beat a couple years back when Brady went down and they had to start Cassel.

Brady has played about as well as you would want your QB to play, but he does not make Belichick. Belichick makes Brady good.

He is a football genius, and taking Brady away would hardly slow him down. I think in decades to come, he'll end up being regarded as possibly the best coach the game has ever seen. I'm only one person, but I think he's already the best ever.