Von Miller's potential in the NFL

1billsfan

You want proof of Maybin 2.0? Here you go... One trick pony that cant play against the run. Same exact playing style as Maybin. He's slender and light and has a "quick first step" and that's about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=SkDdpgRn7Pk

You say you dont see the comparisons. I say I dont see any differences other than Miller was a 4 year starter. And Miller is LESS than a year younger than Maybin, so we basically already drafted Miller just after his freshman year.

Even if you still dont see the Maybin similarities, after watching that clip from the Nebraska game, how can anyone say that is what our Run Defense needs?

Boy, I still don't see the similarities. NO OLB makes every tackle. Yes, there were some plays where he ran himself out of position on a running play. Every

LB does that sometimes. Yes, I saw the play where the RB knocked him back a bit on short-yardage - that happens occasionally to every LB, too.

With regard to the pass rush, I saw several plays where he put pressure on up the middle and some where even though he went wide and didn't

make the sack, he did force the QB up into the pocket which is part of his job.

I am not saying that he will or won't be a great NFL player, but I guess I didn't see where he was awful as Maybin is.

BTW, there aren't that many 250+lb OLBs that can rush the passer like Miller looks to be able to. Yes, he will sacrifice some stoutness against the

run by being a little undersized, but this team also needs pass rush.

Again, I am not saying the Bills should draft him. I am only saying that I don't see the indications that he is a tremendous bust in waiting.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, there aren't that many 250+lb OLBs that can rush the passer like Miller looks to be able to. Yes, he will sacrifice some stoutness against the

run by being a little undersized, but this team also needs pass rush.

Again, I am not saying the Bills should draft him. I am only saying that I don't see the indications that he is a tremendous bust in waiting.

DeMarcus Ware is 262

Terrell Suggs is 260

Merriman is 265

Orakpo is 255

Cam Wake is 250

Bryce Paup played at 250

Now, Cornelius Bennett did play at 240. But that was also 15-20 years ago when players were smaller and there were still OLineman in the 200s. Nowadays, he would have to make it through all of the 300 pound linemen just to tackle Rothlisberger at 6'5" 240, and Cam Newton at 6'6" 250!!

The players are constantly getting bigger. In the recent past, our defense has actually gotten SMALLER.

Now, Im not saying that Miller is a definite bust. I just think #3 overall is way too early for him. I actually think the top 20 is too early for him.

As someone in another thread pointed out, you want SIZE, FOOTBALL IQ, and ATHLETICISM in your picks. At #3 Overall you need to pick someone with all 3. In the mid rounds, you can sacrifice one criteria. But #3 overall better be a prototypical player at his position. Im not sold on Miller that early.

Edited by DrDankenstein

You got it all wrong, Im not gun shy on Miller because Maybin sucks, Im gun shy on Miller because MILLER sucks. They draw comparisons because they suck for many of the same reasons.

Yea, your right 37 sacks in 2 seasons playing both in a 34 and a 43 and being injured his first few games of this season. That sounds like it sucks to me too.

He's a very intriguing player. He has the explosiveness and pass rush skills to play OLB, but also has the athleticism and sideline to sideline speed to play ILB. He is also great in coverage, and shows an ability to absolutely blanket opposing TEs. He has the frame to get up to around 250 lbs, which is about the average size for a 3-4 ILB.

I could easily see him coming into the combine at 240-245, running a 4.5 40, and blowing all the scouts away in the agility testing.

It would not surprise me if we drafted him and stuck him at ILB. We need someone to cover opposing TEs, and he also offers the ability for us to bring pressure up the middle.

Yea, your right 37 sacks in 2 seasons playing both in a 34 and a 43 and being injured his first few games of this season. That sounds like it sucks to me too.

Amazing that people still compare him to Maybin after production like you mention. Body size is the only similarity, and they're not even that close (he's about 2" shorter then Maybin.) Reports also say he has been above average in pass drills this week too.

This is also before he begins an NFL weight regimen like all prospects begin now to prep for the combine. Maybin weighed 249 at the combine after those freakish before and after pics we all remember seeing (and saying that something wasn't right). He can reasonably add a few more lbs and not fool scouts into thinking he "has the frame to grow." The hate for this kid has been too unjustified.

He's been the best player hands down at the Senior Bowl practices.

As far as comparisons to Maybin: They have similar heights and weights. I think Miller is a bit shorter and got more in the saddle. Miller is a 4 year letterman at Texas A&M; Maybin never started a full season. Both are quick. Miller can dip and rip, split double teams, rush a two-way go, get through traffic, etc.; Maybin is and was purely a loop rusher and gets pancaked whenever he has to engage, he isn't athletic enough to play special teams. Is Miller stout enough to hold an edge or versatile enough to play in space at the NFL level? Who knows, but he looks like a football player and not like a track and field guy. I wouldn't take him at #3, but he's got 1st round talent at this point.

Asked for a scouting report on Miller, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock was effusive in his praise of the 6-foot-3, 237-pound linebacker’s pass rush ability:

“Two words,” said Mayock. “Defies. Gravity. Bends parallel to the ground. This guy comes off the edge and it’s scary how quick he gets to the quarterback. In my notes from the season, I had the word ‘wow’ written (about Miller) more than any other player.”

Guy does not look thick enough to me to be a strong ball tackler in a 3-4.

Shawne Merriman isn't real thick down low either. Miller would be an edge rusher in the 3-4 and has some legit experience at playing OLB in the NCAA. (It wouldn't be a purely hypothetical exercise like, ahem, some players.) He's definitely in that tweener mode, but on the small side.

DeMarcus Ware is 262

Terrell Suggs is 260

Merriman is 265

Orakpo is 255

Cam Wake is 250

Bryce Paup played at 250

Clay Matthews was 6'3" 240 lbs at the combine - is now listed at 255 lbs

Brian Cushing was 6'3" 243 lbs at the combine - is now listed at 259 lbs

These guys are 21 years old, they're still growing.

I'm not sure the positional value is there at three, but it's sounding like he may be a guy that definitely goes top 10 and maybe even top 5.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

If we could work out a trade down type of situation to the 5-8 range and pick up a extra 2nd or an early 3rd + a mid round pick it would really work out well if we could get both Von Miller plus a extra pick it could work out really well for us.

It would be considered a reach if we just out right took Miller 3 overall. But if you can't find a trade down and Miller is a pro-bowl pass rusher who cares about where he was suppose to be drafted.

College vrs NFL. Production doesnt mean much. His technique is pretty horrible, but his play vrs the run is way way worse. That Nebraska video is very telling. Thats a highlight video? Who tried to play it off like Miller "DOMINATED" the Nedraska game? Gimme a break, what is so special about this guy? He doesnt play like an NFL player plays - can you people not see it? I dont think I have EVER seen him use his hands to get off a block. I dont care how quick he is, that games doesnt work in the NFL just like CJs "just run wide" style doesnt fly either. Miller is going to be SWALLOWED up by NFL OLman just like Maybin Mayhem. <_<

How can an NFL scouting staff - people who make their career in professional football - be so freaking bad at their jobs?

I just know we are gonna draft this bust to be, thats typical buffalo. Somebody shoot me now.

Asked for a scouting report on Miller, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock was effusive in his praise of the 6-foot-3, 237-pound linebacker’s pass rush ability:

“Two words,” said Mayock. “Defies. Gravity. Bends parallel to the ground. This guy comes off the edge and it’s scary how quick he gets to the quarterback. In my notes from the season, I had the word ‘wow’ written (about Miller) more than any other player.”

You coulda said all that about Maybin and it woulda been true - but what did he say about his strength, techinque, and playe vrs the run. My bet is it woulda went somethign like this :sick:

College vrs NFL. Production doesnt mean much. His technique is pretty horrible, but his play vrs the run is way way worse. That Nebraska video is very telling. Thats a highlight video? Who tried to play it off like Miller "DOMINATED" the Nedraska game? Gimme a break, what is so special about this guy? He doesnt play like an NFL player plays - can you people not see it? I dont think I have EVER seen him use his hands to get off a block. I dont care how quick he is, that games doesnt work in the NFL just like CJs "just run wide" style doesnt fly either. Miller is going to be SWALLOWED up by NFL OLman just like Maybin Mayhem. <_<

How can an NFL scouting staff - people who make their career in professional football - be so freaking bad at their jobs?

I just know we are gonna draft this bust to be, thats typical buffalo. Somebody shoot me now.

You coulda said all that about Maybin and it woulda been true - but what did he say about his strength, techinque, and playe vrs the run. My bet is it woulda went somethign like this :sick:

All of this, plus in the biggest game of his life. In the 2011 Cotton Bowl He just completely gives up on any backside pursuit, I mean just out there like a stroll in the park, play after play.

I specifically watched Miller in that game and was not impressed at all, more than that I was offended by his lack of effort and willingness to give up in the middle of a play.

I seriously doubt these habits are just a 1 game type of thing.

If the Bills take this tiny guy that gives up on plays it will be typical Buffalo Bills Bust detector at work.

Hard to take him at #3 with his size. But anyone who doesn't think this guy is going to get sacks is off base.

We'll have to make a bet. Think of some terms.

I don’t think he will get many sacks at all.

You pay me a dollar for every game he doesn’t get a sack, and ill pay you ten dollars every game he gets a minimum of 1 sack (half sacks are a push). PS games wont count because they play backups and starters only part time. I will make a lot more money than you.