Trading out of the first round...

Dorkington

What do you guys think about trading out of the first round? I mean, it's pretty much written in stone, whomever we draft in a first round is going to be a disappointment... so what about trading down and out of the first round? Maybe we can pick up multiple 2nd/3rd round picks over the course of a couple years.

Or maybe just a couple hot dogs, and an old TV. Who knows. :lol:

What do you guys think about trading out of the first round? I mean, it's pretty much written in stone, whomever we draft in a first round is going to be a disappointment... so what about trading down and out of the first round? Maybe we can pick up multiple 2nd/3rd round picks over the course of a couple years.

Fail

Fail

I'm mostly being tongue in cheek, but it is an idea. We draft horribly, we have A LOT of holes to plug and we aren't exactly attractive on the free agent market. So.... why not get as many young guys as possible and see what we can do?

But... alas... there is a reason I'm not hired to be a Front Office guy on an NFL team. ;)

Even the blind squirrel find the nut sometimes -- were due to find one this year. It's possible that by accident the Bills draft a good player. I'm also a litle tongue in cheek here.

It is a consideration, but trading lower into the first round might be a little more palatable. I think there may be super impact players in this draft and we may be in line for a truly great defensive lineman. On the other hand your point is really something to consider if we trade down and get three players who are an immediate impact, a really terrific outside linebacker an offensive tackle and a defensive lineman for instance. This is what the front office gets the big bucks for and I think they have a ton of evaluation to do before making this decision. Trading down is a real possibility.

I wouldn't trade out of the 1st... just back. Maybe gain another 2nd round pick.

We don't have to trade out of the 1st round to get multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks.

We could trade down though.

I would look to New England.

New England gives: (1st round)17th pick overall (from Oakland), (2nd round)33rd pick overall (from Carolina) and (3rd round)74th pick overall.

That is about the only way I see the Bills trading down, unless a team offers multiple years of draft picks.

I have a feeling that's what San Fran is going to do ... or try to do. The only reason to trade out of the first round (and I'm not advocating this) is to get a second first round pick next year, giving a team the flexibility to move up to get Luck if he came out. This would be a huge roll of the dice, but worth it for a franchise QB. Especially for a team that has very little chance of being competitive in 2011.

Edited by tgreg99

i guess your post is an attempt @ humor,dont quit your day job.

if fairley is not available and he wont be then i would be on board with trading down in the first round to acquire an additional second round pick.

to insinuate that if we took fairley he would be a bust is flat out ridiculous!

I don't think trading out is realistic, i understand the OP's frustration with how our 1st round picks have turned out for the past decade. Spiller still will turn out to be a good pick and Wood was a steal, IMO, but the rest have really been a waste for the most part.

I do like the idea of trading back in the 1st and acquiring multiple picks. If we were to trade back into the 20's and obtain an additional 2nd and 3rd this year along with and additional 1st next year, I would be all for that. I don't know what the value would be for letting someone trade up 20 spots in the 1st but I would guess it would definitely cost another 1st. I don't think anyone would give up that much to move up but if someone has a hardon for one of those top defensive guys, you have to explore moving back if you get 4 solid picks in return.

The Bills do need an impact playmaker on defense though and if someone like Fairly was still there at 3, you can't pass on that. There are some pretty good defensive players coming out this year which would make the Bills think about moving to obtain some extra talent on both sides of the ball. I wouldn't put it past Buddy to be taking any and all calls from anyone willing to move into #3.

The Bills fans are like the abused spouse who can't trust their new partner.

Aint that the truth.

I don't assume to know the answers, thats for more knowledgeable people.

I hope we get some studs soon, I want to be proud and loud again. :)

We don't have to trade out of the 1st round to get multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks.

New England gives: (1st round)17th pick overall (from Oakland), (2nd round)33rd pick overall (from Carolina) and (3rd round)74th pick overall.

That is about the only way I see the Bills trading down, unless a team offers multiple years of draft picks.

No thank you; ZERO desire to pick that high, especially at that cost.

SSDD

Ah yes, every message board GM's dream scenario: trade down and get a million picks, then end up with 15 stud players in rounds 2 through 7...works every time!

I realize that the OP is playing tongue-in-cheek, but in all honesty, what's wrong with staying put at No. 3 and picking the 3rd-best player in college football? The reason teams like New England can trade back every year is because they're already good; they don't need to draft in the top 10 or top 5 and get that impact player. If you remember, they didn't start their trade-back-every-year mentality until after they started winning Superbowls.

This team has very little (if any) elite-level talent. If you have a chance to get a truly great player, you should take it. I don't know who the team believes is the highest-valued player in the draft, but there's a 1 in 3 chance that he'll be there when they pick. Likewise, there's a 100% chance that one of their top 3 rated players will be available when they pick; how often do you get that opportunity?

The bottom line is that they need to pick a great player; a guy that will contribute immediately and remain a dynamic playmaker (on either side of the ball) for a long time. I personally think they have a better shot at doing that picking 3rd than picking anywhere further down.

this is something i started another thread on -- player movement, trades and the cba -- how do we trade for a first next year if the cba hasnt been signed and there is no promise of a 2012 draft. beyond that we dont know about changes in rookie wages, contract length, or even if there is a long lockout but they have a draft.... how the picks would be ordered.

i would be surprised if without a new cba you see next years picks being traded. beyond that i am not sure if it would be a legal trade that would be approved by the league.

as far as trade proposals it looks like it will likely be pick for pick, and those picks coming in only this year.

ps. that makes trading back from 3 extremely difficult, unless someone is willing to give there whole draft away there is probably only value in teams 4 through 6 or 7 being able to trade firsts and give us a second or second and third. any further and you are wiping out the entire years draft for one player and that would only be to get back to probably 10ish.

For what it's worth the "point chart" would have the Pats giving Bflo #17, #32 and #33 for that #3 overall. Would you take that?? Maybe THAT team should.