Cam Newton sent for post-game x-ray

Before the "long table interview" with the coach, Cam, and others, the ESPN announcer reported that Cam went to the stadium x-ray facility to have a quick xray on "an undisclosed" part of his body. No further information at this time. I hate to think this way, but is this just a quick way for Cam to sidestep some of his mistakes (underthrown wide open receiver in endzone, fumble, lethargic running) and say "Hey, I was playing injured". I hope that is not the case, but it seems in this day and age, I have a negative outlook on the motivations of players (i.e. this Bowl game may have hurt Cam's draft rank/spot...did he need to try and explain his average performance by getting a quick xray?)

The current line on the xray being negative in Vegas is 2:1. Any takers???

Before the "long table interview" with the coach, Cam, and others, the ESPN announcer reported that Cam went to the stadium x-ray facility to have a quick xray on "an undisclosed" part of his body. No further information at this time. I hate to think this way, but is this just a quick way for Cam to sidestep some of his mistakes (underthrown wide open receiver in endzone, fumble, lethargic running) and say "Hey, I was playing injured". I hope that is not the case, but it seems in this day and age, I have a negative outlook on the motivations of players (i.e. this Bowl game may have hurt Cam's draft rank/spot...did he need to try and explain his average performance by getting a quick xray?)

The current line on the xray being negative in Vegas is 2:1. Any takers???

When he lowered his shoulder on a first down run he hurt his back and you could tell it affected him the rest of the game. He didn't run as hard, showed body language that it was hurting, and on one play he went down early on a designed run because he did not want to be hit. I don't think his coach even realized because he kept calling his number even though he wasn't fit to go, be it physically or mentally because of the pain, and it almost ended up costing them the game when Matthews forced the fumble on Newton. I don't know how bad it really was but I am certain he was in pain.

Edited by xjumpx

When he lowered his shoulder on a first down run he hurt his back and you could tell it affected him the rest of the game. He didn't run as hard, showed body language that it was hurting, and on one play he went down early on a designed run because he did not want to be hit. I don't think his coach even realized because he kept calling his number even though he wasn't fit to go, be it physically or mentally because of the pain, and it almost ended up costing them the game when Matthews forced the fumble on Newton. I don't know how bad it really was but I am certain he was in pain.

Coach doesn't strike me as worrying about the future as much as win today at all costs. Auburn has been reckless in game strategy, recruiting etc.... May haunt them long term. Even if he knew cam was hurt I think he'd call his number- he's done with him tonight whether or not he can walk off the field!

Sorry, I like a lot of the auburn players, love the brand of football but don't much like the staff from what i know.

Coach doesn't strike me as worrying about the future as much as win today at all costs. Auburn has been reckless in game strategy, recruiting etc.... May haunt them long term. Even if he knew cam was hurt I think he'd call his number- he's done with him tonight whether or not he can walk off the field!

Sorry, I like a lot of the auburn players, love the brand of football but don't much like the staff from what i know.

I understand that, but it was fairly clear that keeping the ball in Newton's hands, especially as a runner, was not as good of a strategy as handing the ball off to running backs once he got hurt. The coach is going to do whatever to win, and I agree that he likely thought keeping the ball in his hands was what he thought was best, but it wasn't.

He looked gassed all game even before he was hurt. And when he was hurt, he acted like a baby. He was out there, he was running and throwing...IDK what the story is going to be but he acted like he had a sword his back.

You can't make a living running the ball as a QB in the NFL. I think its great to have mobility to convert a 3rd and 3 or whatever or extend plays but the long scampers (ala Vick and Vince Young) are short lived. The body cannot take that abuse too much. Even those guys have tried to be QB's now and not scramblers that play QB. I concentrated on Newton's throwing ability tonight. He has a great arm but I just don't know how his total game (smarts included) will translate to the NFL. I still think Mallett will be the best QB from this draft... He shows more Quarterbacking skills imo.

You can't make a living running the ball as a QB in the NFL. I think its great to have mobility to convert a 3rd and 3 or whatever or extend plays but the long scampers (ala Vick and Vince Young) are short lived. The body cannot take that abuse too much. Even those guys have tried to be QB's now and not scramblers that play QB. I concentrated on Newton's throwing ability tonight. He has a great arm but I just don't know how his total game (smarts included) will translate to the NFL. I still think Mallett will be the best QB from this draft... He shows more Quarterbacking skills imo.

I know. Running quarterbacks never last very long. Randall Cunningham only played what...16 years? Steve Young, 15 years. Newton is a smart kid and anyone who questions his "smarts" clearly hasn't watched or listened to anything this year. I would venture a guess that you watched him twice this year and listened to a couple ESPN reports. He isn't a dumb kid. I don't want the Bills to draft him, but he isn't dumb. He has a great arm, is mobile, and is generally quite accurate.

I know. Running quarterbacks never last very long. Randall Cunningham only played what...16 years? Steve Young, 15 years. Newton is a smart kid and anyone who questions his "smarts" clearly hasn't watched or listened to anything this year. I would venture a guess that you watched him twice this year and listened to a couple ESPN reports. He isn't a dumb kid. I don't want the Bills to draft him, but he isn't dumb. He has a great arm, is mobile, and is generally quite accurate.

Yeah, I assumed running QBs burned out fast too, but it's flatly not true - if anything, they seem to have longer careers. Maybe the arm goes before the legs, so if you're a scrappy old knuckleballer, you can still stay in a job if you can scramble.

Not only that, but Michael Vick has been in the league for 8 years so far and will probably play 4 more years before he is ready to retire. Considering the fact that he has already wasted 100 million dollars, I would say you can make a very good living as a scrambling QB in the NFL.

He looked gassed all game even before he was hurt. And when he was hurt, he acted like a baby. He was out there, he was running and throwing...IDK what the story is going to be but he acted like he had a sword his back.

Well...espn reporting x-rays were negative. He was, as I predicted simply hurt. Not injured. And he was out of shape that game IMO he was gassed even in the first half.

This kid showed me he wasn't in the best shape possible going into the biggest game, he showed me he'll duck his head when he's hurt (not injured) and sulk and have terrible body language and not lead the team when they need it the most, and he basically showed me if he was on a team with a lesser D he would have folded and they would have lost.

Make no mistake. Cam did not want to be out there in the 4th...and there was nothing wrong with him other than his bleeding vagina.

Edited by dayman

Well...espn reporting x-rays were negative. He was, as I predicted simply hurt. Not injured. And he was out of shape that game IMO he was gassed even in the first half.

This kid showed me he wasn't in the best shape possible going into the biggest game, he showed me he'll duck his head when he's hurt (not injured) and sulk and have terrible body language and not lead the team when they need it the most, and he basically showed me if he was on a team with a lesser D he would have folded and they would have lost.

Make no mistake. Cam did not want to be out there in the 4th...and there was nothing wrong with him other than his bleeding vagina.

I disagree and think you need to offer proof. I know it is a challenge, but an obvious football expert who should be recruiting high school students or college players shouldn't find it hard.

I disagree and think you need to offer proof. I know it is a challenge, but an obvious football expert who should be recruiting high school students or college players shouldn't find it hard.

What the hell are you talking about? The X-rays were negative reported by sportscenter. The rest of the proof is just watching the damn game. Quite down now troll.

What the hell are you talking about? The X-rays were negative reported by sportscenter. The rest of the proof is just watching the damn game. Quite down now troll.

I'm not trolling. You spew things that are nothing more than a biased opinion like they are some sort of fact that everyone should drink up. How do you know he didn't want to be on the field in the 4th? How do you know with a lesser defense he wouldn't have lead his team to a victory anyhow? Ever play with pain? Do you realize you can have pain, really bad pain, with a negative x-ray? Give me a break. Add something to the debate other than baseless opinion. Breakdown a few plays, or stats, and show us what you mean. I have faith in you.

I'm not trolling. You spew things that are nothing more than a biased opinion like they are some sort of fact that everyone should drink up. How do you know he didn't want to be on the field in the 4th? How do you know with a lesser defense he wouldn't have lead his team to a victory anyhow? Ever play with pain? Do you realize you can have pain, really bad pain, with a negative x-ray? Give me a break. Add something to the debate other than baseless opinion. Breakdown a few plays, or stats, and show us what you mean. I have faith in you.

stress fractures generally dont show up on an xray and can be super painful. i am still recoverying from mine on my rib. hurt to breath, sleep, cough, dont even bring up sneezing. it has kept me out of sport for a few months now(running into complications). even with steroids and and other pain meds it still hurt for me to compete.

so yes it is possible that he is injured, or even has a break that has severe pain. whether that is what happend to him, who knows

Yeah, I assumed running QBs burned out fast too, but it's flatly not true - if anything, they seem to have longer careers. Maybe the arm goes before the legs, so if you're a scrappy old knuckleballer, you can still stay in a job if you can scramble.

Actually, I think it's the other way. Guys like McNabb, Favre, Elway, etc. (maybe even Cunningham) seemed to do less and less running as time went on. They relied on their arm more than their legs at that point.

Terrible, ignorant post from one of the worst posters on the board.

Actually, I think it's the other way. Guys like McNabb, Favre, Elway, etc. (maybe even Cunningham) seemed to do less and less running as time went on. They relied on their arm more than their legs at that point.

No doubt...they had to or they would get killed. Eventually the wheels will "fall off"