A Tradedown Draft

Wizard

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we target a trade with a Washington. They're picking 10th and they may very well want to leapfrog AZ and San Fran. Harabaugh and Shanahan probably want the same type of QB. To move back 7 spots, we'd likely pickup the 41st pick to go along with the 10th. That looks pretty good to me. 3 picks in the top 41. We could rebuild our front 7 before we even made our 3rd round pick. I see this more as a deep draft than I do a high-end talent type anyways. I'd go defensive end, inside linebacker, and outside linebacker unless a big time O-tackle fell to us at some point.

believe it or not, the draft value chart says that the #3 overall pick is worth 2200 points. the #10 is worth 1300 points. in order to move up from 10 to 3 , it would take the their 1st (1300 pts), 2nd (480 pts), 3rd (220 pts), 4th (82 pts), 5th (37 pts), 6th (23.4 pts), and 7th (10.6 pts) and that still doesnt add up (2153 pts). it would prob take their 1st and 2nd round this year and a 2nd and 4th next year. don't think it'll happen.

In order to trade, someone else has to want to trade up. No one will. Might as well overpay a defensive player. Ralph's good at that, anyway.

I'm okay with failing to find a partner for any individual pick, but the fact that we haven't traded down in any draft for about 10 years strikes me as something else. Nothing in the middle rounds?

I'm okay with failing to find a partner for any individual pick, but the fact that we haven't traded down in any draft for about 10 years strikes me as something else. Nothing in the middle rounds?

IM not holding my breath on any trades. IMHO I think Nix will let the draft come to him. Nix values draft picks like gold and no way in hades will he trade any away.

Wow! Thanks...it seems like trading down worked in the past...let's do it again

The thing is trading down only works when you have people in the front office that know what they are doing. I am not a believer in this front office when it comes to drafting. Not yet any way.

Edited by VADC Bills

Question: When was the last time Buffalo traded down in the first round of a draft? Let me know.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the year for Buffalo to trade down in the 1st round to stockpile more picks. A lot of teams need quarterbacks and the Bills will probably be the first team to have a true need for a quarterback. I'm not a huge Fitz supporter but I'd rather have him, a 1st round pick, and two potential extra picks than having Fitz and a Mallett/Newton/Locker/etc. The Panthers, Broncos, and Browns who draft right around us all selected quarterbacks last year (Clausen, Tebow, and McCoy), sot he chances of them taking the first rated quarterback (with Luck being out of the draft now) is really good.

Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, and Washington all pick in the top 10 and have just as bad of quarterback needs as Buffalo does long-term.

THIS IS THE YEAR TO TRADE DOWN!

If Fairley is gone, you're right....good call.

Can anyone have a decent discussion about the Bills without falling into "we suck" mode? If the beast DLs are gone and someone wants to move up 3 slots for AJ Green or Peterson, I could see it happening. If our guy is gone, it makes sense on many levels.

Trade with Washington draft scenario.

1.(10) Ryan Mallet QB, Arkanas. Quarterback of the future.

2.(34) Greg Jones ILB, Michigan St. Run stuffer to play next to Poz in the 3-4 defense.

2.(41) Justin Houston OLB, Georgia. Outside pass rusher and insurance policy if "lights out" is damaged goods.

3.(68) DJ Williams TE, Arkanas. TE teams needs and familiar target for Mallet.

4.(99) Lavonte David SS, Nebraska. Replacement or Depth at SS.

4.(117) James Carpenter OT, Alabama. Possible starter or depth at OT.

5.(132) Christian Ballard DE, Iowa. Depth at DE, good value at this round.

6.(164) Johnathan Cornell ILB, Mississippi. Depth at ILB. If you play 3-4 you need allot of LB's.

7.(196) Craig Cooper RB, Miami Steal in 7Th round and good back up.

Question: When was the last time Buffalo traded down in the first round of a draft? Let me know.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the year for Buffalo to trade down in the 1st round to stockpile more picks. A lot of teams need quarterbacks and the Bills will probably be the first team to have a true need for a quarterback. I'm not a huge Fitz supporter but I'd rather have him, a 1st round pick, and two potential extra picks than having Fitz and a Mallett/Newton/Locker/etc. The Panthers, Broncos, and Browns who draft right around us all selected quarterbacks last year (Clausen, Tebow, and McCoy), sot he chances of them taking the first rated quarterback (with Luck being out of the draft now) is really good.

Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, and Washington all pick in the top 10 and have just as bad of quarterback needs as Buffalo does long-term.

So was last year, Tebow or Bulaga would look great as a Bill now.

It depends on if Troupe or Carrington are capable of being good next year, If not we stay with the 3rd and draft Marcell Dareus. If they are and I think one of them will, we trade back to 10ish and draft:

1. Robert Quinn, Ryan Kerrigan or Von Miller for OLB.

Then our 2 second round picks would be:

2. Stepen Paea as DE/ NT depending on where the coaches like him.

2. Matt Reynolds OT left or right

3. Luke Stocker TE ...

Tennessee is sitting at #8. VY is gone, Collins is getting older. would they want to get ahead of San Fran and Arizona for possably Cam Newton or Mallett That would only drop Buffalo to #8 with a good chance to get one of the D lineman still.

Everybody is intent on trading down for more picks, and I agree, but what about Tenn. adding a player to mix. I dont remember any players being traded on draft day recently

I think we target a trade with a Washington. They're picking 10th and they may very well want to leapfrog AZ and San Fran. Harabaugh and Shanahan probably want the same type of QB. To move back 7 spots, we'd likely pickup the 41st pick to go along with the 10th. That looks pretty good to me. 3 picks in the top 41. We could rebuild our front 7 before we even made our 3rd round pick. I see this more as a deep draft than I do a high-end talent type anyways. I'd go defensive end, inside linebacker, and outside linebacker unless a big time O-tackle fell to us at some point.

Looks good to me, boozer.

My Modification of a DraftTek Simulation of a tradedown to #10:

10 Buffalo Robert Quinn OLB34 North Carolina

34 Buffalo Stephen Paea DT34 Oregon State

41 Buffalo D.J. Williams TE Arkansas

68 Buffalo Quan Sturdivant ILB North Carolina

99 Buffalo Jarvis Jenkins DE34 Clemson

117 Buffalo Greg McElroy QB Alabama

130 Buffalo Tim Barnes OC Missouri

164 Buffalo Orlando Franklin OT Miami (FL)

198 Buffalo James Brewer OT Indiana

This report was produced using Draft Tek's Draft Simulator: WWW.Drafttek.com. Posting this report without giving the foregoing information is a copyright violation.

Astro

IM not holding my breath on any trades. IMHO I think Nix will let the draft come to him. Nix values draft picks like gold and no way in hades will he trade any away.

Steve, Mallett will more than likely be there when we select at #3. Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alum and Romo (imo) is not a very good qb. In fact, I prefer Fitz to Romo.

Jones (from what I heard) needs a cash influx because of his new stadium. I predict that he will offer to trade up so he can get Mallett, who would sell a trillion seats down there. In a situation like this, you can really bleed the team who wants a quarterback.

Just a hunch.

Ay some positions yes, but at OT for example there are going to be normal mid 2nd rounders going in teh 1st because there isnt elite talent at OT this year. I would be fine with tradeing back but I think we could get more by going after 2012 1st rounders.

trade down , get more solid athletes that will not play much in 2011 (like this year), build a base of solid but learning players. go 3 -13 / lose out in 2011 and draft Luck next year. then we on our way to greatness in 12 adn 13

The last time anyone traded up into the top five for a non-qb was in 1996 (Orlando Pace). It ain't happening.

Tennessee is sitting at #8. VY is gone, Collins is getting older. would they want to get ahead of San Fran and Arizona for possably Cam Newton or Mallett That would only drop Buffalo to #8 with a good chance to get one of the D lineman still.

Everybody is intent on trading down for more picks, and I agree, but what about Tenn. adding a player to mix. I dont remember any players being traded on draft day recently

I wanted to see if trading with TEN would change our picks compared to #10 with DAL.

In short, it didn't. Quinn and Jones were still there at our first 2 picks, Sturdivant or Moch are there in RD3, and we get DJ Williams the TE with the Tennessee pick.

Steve, Mallett will more than likely be there when we select at #3. Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alum and Romo (imo) is not a very good qb. In fact, I prefer Fitz to Romo.

Jones (from what I heard) needs a cash influx because of his new stadium. I predict that he will offer to trade up so he can get Mallett, who would sell a trillion seats down there. In a situation like this, you can really bleed the team who wants a quarterback.

Just a hunch.

the cowboy's winning will sell a million seats...in the playoffs which he will def need next year to save face. i imagine he will try and bolster their def line so i could see him wanting to trade up for dareus

trade down , get more solid athletes that will not play much in 2011 (like this year), build a base of solid but learning players.

I like this.

Last year also was a perfect time to trade down and build young depth. But the Scattback was too tempting I guess.

Edited by Thunderstealer