Doug Whaley given props...

Big Turk

In an article about Trent Baalke, the 49ers new GM and how he is a "grinder" who has worked his way up from area scout in the NFL to GM in a way similar to Thomas Dimitroff, Falcon's GM, they also list 4 other people insiders say would make very good GMs, and Doug Whaley of the Bills is one of them...

"• Doug Whaley, Bills assistant general manager/director of player personnel. Before joining the Bills a year ago, Whaley spent more than a decade with the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he was part of a highly successful scouting operation. Prior to serving as the Steelers’ pro scouting coordinator, Whaley was an area scout for the Seahawks. He is well-rounded, with his intelligence, passion and people skills standing out. Involved from top to bottom under the Steelers’ excellent and low-key GM, Kevin Colbert, Whaley is a Pittsburgh native with an outgoing personality – yet he has impressed coworkers with his humility and lack of self-promotion. And Whaley, who spent a year on Wall Street working as a retail stockbroker following his collegiate career at Pitt, would be ideally suited to interacting with people on the business side of the building as well."

gives some hope that with Nix and Whaley running the draft we are going to get some good talent on board here...

here is the link to the article:

Yahoo Article about Trent Baalke hire

In an article about Trent Baalke, the 49ers new GM and how he is a "grinder" who has worked his way up from area scout in the NFL to GM in a way similar to Thomas Dimitroff, Falcon's GM, they also list 4 other people insiders say would make very good GMs, and Doug Whaley of the Bills is one of them...

"• Doug Whaley, Bills assistant general manager/director of player personnel. Before joining the Bills a year ago, Whaley spent more than a decade with the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he was part of a highly successful scouting operation. Prior to serving as the Steelers’ pro scouting coordinator, Whaley was an area scout for the Seahawks. He is well-rounded, with his intelligence, passion and people skills standing out. Involved from top to bottom under the Steelers’ excellent and low-key GM, Kevin Colbert, Whaley is a Pittsburgh native with an outgoing personality – yet he has impressed coworkers with his humility and lack of self-promotion. And Whaley, who spent a year on Wall Street working as a retail stockbroker following his collegiate career at Pitt, would be ideally suited to interacting with people on the business side of the building as well."

gives some hope that with Nix and Whaley running the draft we are going to get some good talent on board here...

here is the link to the article:

Yahoo Article about Trent Baalke hire

With Nix's age, I always wondered if there was a deal made to attract Whaley, letting him take over when Nix

retires.

He may or may not be a good GM; only time will tell.

But regardless of how things turn out, he will always be a good man.

Please remember that fact in the future as the Bills make moves you may or may not agree with.

He may or may not be a good GM; only time will tell.

But regardless of how things turn out, he will always be a good man.

Please remember that fact in the future as the Bills make moves you may or may not agree with.

What does him being a good man have to do with if I like his pick or not?

I was really impressed with his first act as pro personnel head: signing Cornell Green to $3 million per year.

I'm going to go ahead and watch his decisions with my own two eyes. You have to realize that a lot of these articles are ways for reporters to "butter up" their sources.

Follow the team and make your own judgments about this guy. He came from a place with a deep bench and lots of extra sets of eyes.

Keeping with Ralph's "promotion from within theme", Whaley will succeed Nix as GM provided he isn't poached by another team. But Whaley knows what he's doing and I'm excited he's on our team, brainstorming with Nix, improving our team. He'll be an excellent and worthy GM when the time is right.

Keeping with Ralph's "promotion from within theme", Whaley will succeed Nix as GM provided he isn't poached by another team. But Whaley knows what he's doing and I'm excited he's on our team, brainstorming with Nix, improving our team. He'll be an excellent and worthy GM when the time is right.

Yeah, I mean who can argue with a guy who saw Cornell Green get run out of Oakland and promptly sign him to a $3 million per year contract?

You guys are ridiculous. Is there any platter of BS served up by OBD that you won't gladly accept?

Just like Tom Modrak was a genius because of his role in building the Eagles pre-2001. Yeah...they've really missed him since he's been gone. Modrak did not build the Eagles; his association with a good personnel department build his reputation (which is now it tatters everywhere outside of Ralph's office and this message board).

Let's hope Whaley works out, but let's not give him a pass because he was once associated with the very successful Steelers' personnel department.

Yeah, I mean who can argue with a guy who saw Cornell Green get run out of Oakland and promptly sign him to a $3 million per year contract?

You guys are ridiculous. Is there any platter of BS served up by OBD that you won't gladly accept?

Just like Tom Modrak was a genius because of his role in building the Eagles pre-2001. Yeah...they've really missed him since he's been gone. Modrak did not build the Eagles; his association with a good personnel department build his reputation (which is now it tatters everywhere outside of Ralph's office and this message board).

Let's hope Whaley works out, but let's not give him a pass because he was once associated with the very successful Steelers' personnel department.

A number of factors resulted in the Bills acquiring Green. Butler's sudden and unexpected retirement, the lack a good free agent tackles and the way the draft shaked out. Rather than start 6th round picks, they thought they'd try their hand with him. It didn't work and they promptly cut bait.

I'm not annointing Whaley as the next great GM. But he's certainly worked his arse off to get to where he is and has been directly involved in the building and shaping a winning program.

You guys are ridiculous. Is there any platter of BS served up by OBD that you won't gladly accept?Just like Tom Modrak was a genius because of his role in building the Eagles pre-2001. Yeah...they've really missed him since he's been gone. Modrak did not build the Eagles; his association with a good personnel department build his reputation (which is now it tatters everywhere outside of Ralph's office and this message board).

This "platter of BS" was not served up by OBD. Read the original link.

What does him being a good man have to do with if I like his pick or not?

I just don't care to see another Mularkey scenario, in which a good and decent man was treated like total garbage for no good reason.

It was a low point in the history of this fanbase and one which I hope not to see repeated.

I just don't care to see another Mularkey scenario, in which a good and decent man was treated like total garbage for no good reason.

It was a low point in the history of this fanbase and one which I hope not to see repeated.

Unfortunately, there's a growing # of fans, bitter with their own lives, who make their favorite sports team very personal. Plus since they get large salaries, people feel it is ok to trash them or publicly embarrass (see Jauron, Dick).

Personally, it seems pathetic to me but to each their own. Whaley seems like a great hire & it always great to have guys from winning organizations building your football team.

I was really impressed with his first act as pro personnel head: signing Cornell Green to $3 million per year.

I'm going to go ahead and watch his decisions with my own two eyes. You have to realize that a lot of these articles are ways for reporters to "butter up" their sources.

Follow the team and make your own judgments about this guy. He came from a place with a deep bench and lots of extra sets of eyes.

My favorite part of your post is how you discredit him for anything that happened during his time at Pittsburgh due to there being a whole front office staff in place then proceed to blast him and single him out for one free agent signing, the first of a whole new regime, a few weeks after he was hired.

There's decent men on here that you've treated like total garbage, and for no good reason but for having a difference of opinion.