Take a QB! Tons of Defensive talent 2-4

1B4IDie

Assuming Mallet, Cam Newton and Luck come out in the 2011 draft.

Blaine Gabbert has already declared and Weeden (who might go play baseball) might declare as well. Terrell Pryor may even come out in 2011 because of the upcoming 5 game suspension.

If Matt Barkley declares in 2012 he is probably the only 1st round QB in 2012.

Nick Foles and Stephen Garcia will probably be 2-4 round grades.

Maybe Nick Foles moves up to late 1st. John Brantley is a wild card.

Either way the class of Mallet, Newton, Luck, and now Gabbert is going to be heads and shoulders over 2012.

Not to mention that if somehow Mallet, which I don't think is likely, decided to stay he would probably be a consensus top 5 pick in 2012.

I used to be in the draft defense camp with the 1st in 2011.

I don't think Fitz is the long term solution at QB but he is the perfect QB to tutor a young guy. If Fitz is too smart to groom the guy that will put him out of work just having a young QB be in the same room preparing with Fitzpatrick will do wonders.

Fitz must start in 2011, but Mallet or Newton spending a year rubbing shoulders with Fitz will go along way.

Also the 2011 draft is loaded at defensive talent in rounds 2-4. There are multiple studs that will be available in each round.

2nd round Defensive options:

Ryan Kerrigan OLB Purdue*

Travis Lewis ILB Oklahoma

Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State*

Martez Wilson ILB Illinois*

Allen Bailey DE Miami (FL)

Drake Nevis DT LSU

Corey Liuget DT Illinois

Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina

3rd Round Defensive Options

Jeremy Beal DE Oklahoma**

Dontay Moch OLB Nevada**

Courtney Upshaw ILB Alabama*

Mason Foster OLB Washington**

Donta Hightower ILB Alabama*

4th Round Defensive Options

Kendrick Ellis DT Hampton

Jabaal Sheard OLB Pittsburgh

Marvin Austin DT North Carolina

Jared Crick DT Nebraska

Lawrence Guy DE Arizona State

Sam Acho OLB Texas*

Anthony Gray DT Southern Miss

Mark Herzlich OLB Boston College*

*Indicates player that WSS would be psyched to see in Red, White, & Buffalo Blue

2011 is the year for the Buffalo Bills to take a shot at being relevant again and take a QB that can lead the team for the next 10+ years.

There are tons of options to improve the horrible defense in rounds 2-4. None of which are as great as Nick Fairely or Marcell Dareaus but nether is there a QB from Round 2 of 2011 to round 7 of 2012 that will make as big an impact as Ryan Mallet or Cam Newton.

Who cares what next years QB class looks like? That doesn't have any effect on the guys this year.

Either way the class of Mallet, Newton, Luck, and now Gabbert is going to be heads and shoulders over 2012.

...and other than Luck nobody you listed there is "the answer" any more than Fitz. But we should waste a top 5 pick on one of them just because? Because why? We are the Bills? They are more hyped than we anticipate other guys will be next year?

I'll pass thanks.

Who cares what next years QB class looks like? That doesn't have any effect on the guys this year.

This does matter a lot when drafting a QB. If Fitz is the QB in 2014 we're still not a winning franchise.

...and other than Luck nobody you listed there is "the answer" any more than Fitz. But we should waste a top 5 pick on one of them just because? Because why? We are the Bills? They are more hyped than we anticipate other guys will be next year?

I'll pass thanks.

I'm glad you have an opinion, however you're in the far minority as far as the talent level of "the other guys."

There are several must-draft QBs every year. But I can only recall 2 years where multiple 1st round QBs were successful.

PTR

PTR your CPU might be on the fritz,

2008, 2009, without even mentioning 1983, or 2004.

In my mind, the only solid roster spots for the Bills defensive-line going forward are Dwan Edwards, Kyle Williams, Torrell Troup, and Alex Carrington. You can bet the house changes are coming in this offseason. Passing up a talent like Nick Fairley or Marcell Darius could be a killer, and essentially, you can make a case (in your own list) that taking the elite talent can be supplemented by great depth later on in this draft. What if they nab Fairley or Darius and follow that up with (off youur list), say Allen Bailey in round two, then Mason Foster in the third and finally Jared Crick in the fourth. Young, hungry, nasty and able to grow together as a unit to smash the likes of Tom Brady, Mark Sanchez and whoever the Dolphins run out there!! That gets my vote!

There are several must-draft QBs every year. But I can only recall 2 years where multiple 1st round QBs were successful.

PTR

2009, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2001, 1999, etc.

Reference

Having said that, I don't like any QB at #3, at least not right now. I don't watch a ton of college football, so I reserve the right to change my opinion. (Obviously Luck wouldn't be there even if he does come out.)

Blaine Gabbert has already declared and Weeden (who might go play baseball) might declare as well. Terrell Pryor may even come out in 2011 because of the upcoming 5 game suspension.

Not to mention that if somehow Mallet, which I don't think is likely, decided to stay he would probably be a consensus top 5 pick in 2012.

I don't think Fitz is the long term solution at QB but he is the perfect QB to tutor a young guy. If Fitz is too smart to groom the guy that will put him out of work just having a young QB be in the same room preparing with Fitzpatrick will do wonders.

Fitz must start in 2011, but Mallet or Newton spending a year rubbing shoulders with Fitz will go along way.

Also the 2011 draft is loaded at defensive talent in rounds 2-4. There are multiple studs that will be available in each round.

Drake Nevis DT LSU

Corey Liuget DT Illinois

Dontay Moch OLB Nevada**

Jared Crick DT Nebraska

Sam Acho OLB Texas*

*Indicates player that WSS would be psyched to see in Red, White, & Buffalo Blue

2011 is the year for the Buffalo Bills to take a shot at being relevant again and take a QB that can lead the team for the next 10+ years.

There are tons of options to improve the horrible defense in rounds 2-4. None of which are as great as Nick Fairely or Marcell Dareaus but nether is there a QB from Round 2 of 2011 to round 7 of 2012 that will make as big an impact as Ryan Mallet or Cam Newton.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Fitz is almost the perfect QB to have when drafting a Qb at the top of the draft. He's smart, seems like a team guy, you don't have to throw the rookie out there immediately, and he provides a nice benchmark for a rookie to overcome to get on the field. Newton will be the guy Nix has to make the decision on at #3.

2009, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2001, 1999, etc.

Reference

Having said that, I don't like any QB at #3, at least not right now. I don't watch a ton of college football, so I reserve the right to change my opinion. (Obviously Luck wouldn't be there even if he does come out.)

I do get the sense that Buddy may feel QB is the way to go and if I had a guess I think it may be Gabbert at 3. He has produce big time for 2 years, has prototypical NFL size, arm, very good mobility and needs to develop a year behind a veteran like Fitz. I just get the feeling they will draft a QB and like Buddy has said, if they like a guy they take him. Not sure if they do it at 3 but if another QB besides Luck is ranked in top 10 I doubt he trades down b/c too many others need QB's and could snatch that QB up.

Edited by TDRupp

In my mind, the only solid roster spots for the Bills defensive-line going forward are Dwan Edwards, Kyle Williams, Torrell Troup, and Alex Carrington. You can bet the house changes are coming in this offseason. Passing up a talent like Nick Fairley or Marcell Darius could be a killer, and essentially, you can make a case (in your own list) that taking the elite talent can be supplemented by great depth later on in this draft. What if they nab Fairley or Darius and follow that up with (off youur list), say Allen Bailey in round two, then Mason Foster in the third and finally Jared Crick in the fourth. Young, hungry, nasty and able to grow together as a unit to smash the likes of Tom Brady, Mark Sanchez and whoever the Dolphins run out there!! That gets my vote!

I agree. The Bills have to be able to stop the teams in their division, and of course that includes the Patriots. I don't think a team is going to be able to shut down Brady and Co completely, but ya can't allow them to score every time they have the ball.

Don't you think the team would improve in that scenario without Fairely or Dareus?

You take Allen Bailey, Mason Foster (a personal favorite), and Crick, plus Moffit with the second 4th with Cam Newton or Mallet in the 1st.

And you have a phenomenal draft with miles of potential.

My point is the 2011 draft is loaded all the way through with impact players on Defense not just the 1st round.

The draft is not loaded at QB outside of the Top 15 picks, and the 2012 draft doesn't look like a great year for QBs.

However I don't think Devlin in the 4th or 5th will have as much long term potential as Mallet or Newton.

(And if there is any QB taken after the 1st Devlin is a guy I find interesting. Pat Devlin was a top recruit at Penn State, was a top all state player in the QB cradle of Pennsylvania, transfered to Delaware just because he wanted to play. I know its DivII or whatever they call it now, but the numbers he put up are sick; 66% completion percentage, 20TDs, 2INts at 6-4 225

Plus playing for the Buffalo Bills is like playing for the DivII of the NFL so he would be used to it until he would raise the Bills back up to the BCS eligible. )

Edited by Why So Serious?

Lets stick with this Fitzpatrick guy for another season. Fitz put up a more then respectable performance at QB with no ground game, inconsistent O-line play, no tight end to throw to, a very young reviving core, and a defense that always put him in the position to be one dimensional.

Despite all that the guy wasn't a bad QB at all in fact it was by all standards a solid professional outing. Put guys like Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, or David Gerrard on this years Bills team and how well do they do? Odds are these QBs (Sanchez and Cutler having their teams in the playoffs, and McNabb, Romo, Manning, and Palmer being pro-bowl playoff QB's) either put in a similar performance to Fitz or they have a worse year then him.

All in all we have a QB we can win with in Fitz. Draft a defensive difference maker in round 1 and an RT to help the protection in round 2. Go out in rounds 3-5 and draft up the defense some more. Rome wasn't built in a day but Fitz has earned the 2011 starting job.

Not saying Fitz can be a top tier guy but he can be a good NFL QB that this team can truly win with.

Edited by billsfan89

I am no Fitzpatrick apologist, but I just don't see where the desire for a

better QB means that there IS a better QB to take at #3. No question, Andrew

Luck would be great to have, but he will surely be gone and I don't feel that

this team can afford to trade away a ton of picks to move up for him.

I really don't want to over-spend on a "consolation prize" QB at 3. The gap

between Luck and the rest of the pretenders at QB is huge. Luck is smart,

talented and a leader groomed by an NFL QB father and played in a pro-style

offense. None of the other guys fits that profile at all.

Newton's main weapon is his running ability which won't translate to success

in the NFL - at least not at the Brady, Manning, Brees level that we are

wanting. Newton has only 1 year of Div 1 experience and played in a run-based

spread offense so his NFL learning curve is HUGE. Add in the questionable

judgement off-field and I am not interested until round 2 where he won't be

available.

Mallet is big and has a really outstanding arm, but can he read a defense? Is

he a leader? Is he smart enough? I don't know, but I'd rather not gamble

that high of a pick on him.

I don't know a lot about Blaine Gabbert yet, but I haven't read much that

suggests that he'd be worth the 3rd overall pick.

As for the argument of having Fitzpatrick "groom" one of these guys for a

year or two - does that really ever pan out? How did that work out for

the guy Jim Kelly, Dan Marino or John Elway "groomed"? I can't think of

many (any?) QBs that benefitted significantly from "learning" under a

mentor. I think that they either "have" or "don't" the ability to play

at the NFL level. They have to be born leaders and be able to visually

process information very quickly to make quick decisions. They have to

be tough and dedicated and smart.

Again, just because there are a bunch of touted QBs a 2 tiers below Luck

doesn't make it a good idea to draft one of them when better prospects

at other positions will be available. Just my opinion.

I am no Fitzpatrick apologist, but I just don't see where the desire for a

better QB means that there IS a better QB to take at #3. No question, Andrew

Luck would be great to have, but he will surely be gone and I don't feel that

this team can afford to trade away a ton of picks to move up for him.

I really don't want to over-spend on a "consolation prize" QB at 3. The gap

between Luck and the rest of the pretenders at QB is huge. Luck is smart,

talented and a leader groomed by an NFL QB father and played in a pro-style

offense. None of the other guys fits that profile at all.

Newton's main weapon is his running ability which won't translate to success

in the NFL - at least not at the Brady, Manning, Brees level that we are

wanting. Newton has only 1 year of Div 1 experience and played in a run-based

spread offense so his NFL learning curve is HUGE. Add in the questionable

judgement off-field and I am not interested until round 2 where he won't be

available.

Mallet is big and has a really outstanding arm, but can he read a defense? Is

he a leader? Is he smart enough? I don't know, but I'd rather not gamble

that high of a pick on him.

I don't know a lot about Blaine Gabbert yet, but I haven't read much that

suggests that he'd be worth the 3rd overall pick.

As for the argument of having Fitzpatrick "groom" one of these guys for a

year or two - does that really ever pan out? How did that work out for

the guy Jim Kelly, Dan Marino or John Elway "groomed"? I can't think of

many (any?) QBs that benefitted significantly from "learning" under a

mentor. I think that they either "have" or "don't" the ability to play

at the NFL level. They have to be born leaders and be able to visually

process information very quickly to make quick decisions. They have to

be tough and dedicated and smart.

Again, just because there are a bunch of touted QBs a 2 tiers below Luck

doesn't make it a good idea to draft one of them when better prospects

at other positions will be available. Just my opinion.

I think you're underestimating Ryan Mallet and Cam Newton. Ryan Mallet is a leader on that team and will be a leader in the NFL.

This isn't the 2010 draft. Colt McCoy, and Jimmy Claussen were not and are not NFL caliber QBs, Mallet and Newton are heads and shoulders better than both of those players.

Yes Cam and Mallet are not in a "Pro Style offense" that is definitely a concern but Sam Bradford or Josh Freeman definitely didn't run a "pro Style offense" in college as well.

Its Funny that you pick the 3 QBs from the 1983 draft, its also funny that only John Elway played in week 1 of 1983 where he was 1/8 for 14 yards.

Elway didn't start until Week3 and was actually benched his rookie year and had a rough first few years of his career, where he threw more INTs than TDs. Jim Kelly did not run a "pro Style offense" in his post graduate grooming in the Houston Gambler's Run and Shoot offense. Marino started in Week 5 and probably had the easiest most natural transition to the NFL but he actually gives credit to David Woodley for helping him get up to speed quickly. There are stories of Don Shula trying to call a play for a rookie Marino and David Woodley basically functioning as a translator\Offense Coordinator to make sure Marino would be successful.

So its easy to look back and rewrite the history of these HOF QBs and say "they have it or don't" and say they came into the NFL and performed at HOF level day 1, but if you actually look into the history of these players its a little more complicated than that. If you asked a Denver Bronco fan in 1984 or 1985 you'd probably hear the word "bust" by many fans. If it was the internet age you would have heard it a lot.

Jim Kelly was picked #14, and I am sure there are teams that picked from #3-#13 that came up with reasons not to take a QB so early, in the end it doesn't matter where you take the guy if they end being a franchise QB.

Wouldn't you have rather "reached" for Josh Freeman in 2007 instead of taking the "BPA" in Lynch? (and don't rewrite history Lynch was regarded a Top 10 pick and the second best RB in the draft, he "fell" to the Bills at 12 because of off the field issues, and some analysts actually thought Lynch would have a better NFL career than Adrian Peterson because they were worried that Adrian Peterson would be too often injuried.)

Its time the Bills take a shot, because they're probably not going to get another shot until the 2013 draft.

Drake Nevis DT LSU

Corey Liuget DT Illinois

Dontay Moch OLB Nevada**

Jared Crick DT Nebraska

Sam Acho OLB Texas*

Well...that's just your opinion man...

Given your argument about depth of D talent, all the more reason to go with a stud D player in R1. Take 3 of first 4 picks on D and get the talent this team needs on that side of the ball. Personally, I'd go with Bowers. Belichek said his strategy was to neutralize Kyle Williams in that last game. I think if you have Carrington and Bowers sandwiched around Williams that will free him up to continue to be the playmaker he is. While not the prototypical NT, two ends that require double-teams can be just as effective. That means you still need a run-stuffing MLB stud, which I'd pick in R2 (unless you can pick up a FA).

On offense, I think most people totally underestimate Fitz's capabilities. The right side of the O-line and the WR corps were musical chairs, and there was no TE end threat. Look what he did with the tools he had! Add a solid RT and TE, and bring back the same group of WRs (with Easely), and you have one dangerous offense.

So my opinion, man, is that you add 2 playmakers to the front 7 of the D, a RT and TE, and this team competes for a playoff spot in the next football season!

Lets stick with this Fitzpatrick guy for another season ...

This is the line of thought that drives me nuts with people who are afraid to draft a QB high.

Let's get this straight: Fitzpatrick will be the starting QB for the Bills in 2011, even if a QB is taken at #3.

With how bad this OL is, the worst thing the Bills could do is rush their QB of the future into the lineup. As much as I have been ranting that Fitz isn't the answer at QB for the Bills, he certainly isn't the team's biggest problem. And more to the point, he offers the Bills a great opportunity to draft their franchise QB and let him develop on the sidelines for a season or two like Rodgers and Rivers.

The other line of thinking that drives me nuts are the people saying that you have to improve the defense or OL first before worrying about QB. That is flat out false. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand how NFL teams are built or doesn't understand how bad this Bills team really is.

There are more holes on this roster than there are draft picks to address them. They have huge holes on the OL, DL, LB, DB and TE. This team, no matter who they draft in 2011 will NOT compete for a super bowl. If they overachieve they MIGHT compete for a playoff spot -- but that's a long shot. Finding a true franchise QB is a MUST for any team with Super Bowl aspirations in the modern NFL. It doesn't matter how you get him, you just have to get him. It's infinitely harder to find a franchise QB than it is to find a OG, OT, DL, DE, LB, DB or TE. Thus, if there's one sitting there at 3 that you love, you HAVE to take him. End of story.

Now, I am not a college scout or guru. I have watched every Stanford game this year and think Luck is beyond the real deal. I am of the midset that the Bills should do whatever they can to get him. However, I don't think Carolina will trade down no matter how sweet the package offered. Outside of Luck I have no clue if Mallet or Cam are franchise QBs. None. They both could be, they both couldn't be. Who knows. But if the Bills grade either of them as being a Franchise guy they have to draft him at 3.

Defense, OL, TE -- that's all secondary IF there's a franchise QB staring you in the face. This team is not one or two or even five players away.

If they don't believe they have a chance at a Franchise QB at 3, then you absolutely take the best defensive player available.

Why so Serious, I am NOT grinding your idea into dust, I simply believe that defense and a running game can win in this league, so I'd sign a ORT in free agency, a TE to compliment Shawn Nelson, and sign a back-up QB in case Ryan Fitzpatrick goes down. I've asked on here about the interest of Alex Smith, as an example, but the response was lukewarm, to say the least! If your rebuilding a franchise, I think tunnel vision CAN be a good thing when retooling a defense that was putrid in 2010. The more young, nasty and dedicated athletes we have on that side let's me know that we will always be in the game, and call me insane, but I think Fitzy can and will win those types of games! He is a gamer, in my eyes!

Why so Serious, I am NOT grinding your idea into dust, I simply believe that defense and a running game can win in this league, so I'd sign a ORT in free agency, a TE to compliment Shawn Nelson, and sign a back-up QB in case Ryan Fitzpatrick goes down. I've asked on here about the interest of Alex Smith, as an example, but the response was lukewarm, to say the least! If your rebuilding a franchise, I think tunnel vision CAN be a good thing when retooling a defense that was putrid in 2010. The more young, nasty and dedicated athletes we have on that side let's me know that we will always be in the game, and call me insane, but I think Fitzy can and will win those types of games! He is a gamer, in my eyes!

Sure, you can absolutely win games in the regular season with just a great defense and running game. You can even make the playoffs and go rather far in them. But ponder this: When was the last time a team without a franchise QB rode their defense and running game to a Super Bowl win?

Yeah. The game has changed. It's a passing league now. Since they changed the rules of the sport to up passing numbers and scoring, you just can't win consistently with the old methods. You can win, yes. But your odds of winning the championship (which I think we'd all agree is the ultimate goal of any NFL team) are almost non existent without a franchise type QB and passing game.

And again, this is not to say running games and defenses aren't important. They clearly are. But they are NOT as important as they once were and are certainly not as important in the modern game as finding a Franchise QB.

Edited by tgreg99