Lechler blasts the Raiders

5 Wide

Who would want to coach for the Raiders? I realize being an NFL head coach is a great opportunity, but Al Davis as your boss lessens the appeal. There is too much history of instability in that organization to get a top head coaching candidate. Honestly, I don't think they can hire a higher profile coach while Davis is running the team.

While typing this, I realized the Bills can be grouped into this category as well. That would explain why every high profile head coach turned us down last year.

I can't blame Lechler. He's given his whole career to that team, 11 years, and they just fired the very first coach who has actually made progress over the past decade, after an 8-8 season and 6-0 in their division.

Horrible move.

Who would want to coach for the Raiders? I realize being an NFL head coach is a great opportunity, but Al Davis as your boss lessens the appeal. There is too much history of instability in that organization to get a top head coaching candidate. Honestly, I don't think they can hire a higher profile coach while Davis is running the team.

While typing this, I realized the Bills can be grouped into this category as well. That would explain why every high profile head coach turned us down last year.

For different reasons: Losing history. City with crap rep. Uncertain future.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He makes a lot of valid points.

But I do I have a feeling that he'll be looking for work soon...

He's totally right, but you don't throw the franchise under the bus when you are far and away the highest paid punter ever.

al "the dwarf " davis is and has been a joke for years ,this is just the continuance of his lunacy,,

davis tries to be pre-emptive ,fires a decent coach before he becomes aknowledged by raiders fans as great for the team

just his egomania running amok ,again!

way to go dufass davis! :wallbash:

I dont blame him. A "out there" owner and 6 coaches in 10 years will make a player feel like that. I can't say I blame him, but if its so bad for you, go punt somewhere else; I'm sure better teams would like you on the roster. Now if Davis brought coach back because of what the punter said...

Best Punter in the game, he'd find a spot on a roster in no time, and it's not like he didn't say anything that isn't true. He probably did it TO get cut.

Lechler is very well respected by the Raider players and has been around for 10 years in the organization. He knows how Davis will react to him speaking out. As a punter he is actually safer than another position. Not even Al will keep two punters on his team so he can't be buried like Marcus Allen was. He'll be either still there or released. Since is the best person in the NFL at his position, he will not be unemployed long nor for a discount.

Exactly -- it is win-win for Shane Lechler. Speak your mind, AND land in a better situation.

yup. He also comes across as a stand-up guy even though he's speaking out against the team. (Al Davis) It won't give any other team much qualms about picking him up.