Frazier to be named HC in Minny

5 Wide

The Vikings are reportedly going to be removing the "interim" label from HC Leslie Frazier's title. The Cowboys are denying that Jason Garrett is going to have the "interim" label removed from his title, as they would have to interview a minority candidate to comply with the Rooney Rule before naming Garrett their new Head Coach. Just another example as to how the Rooney Rule process is an insult to everyone involved.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Vikings are reportedly going to be removing the "interim" label from HC Leslie Frazier's title. The Cowboys are denying that Jason Garrett is going to have the "interim" label removed from his title, as they would have to interview a minority candidate to comply with the Rooney Rule before naming Garrett their new Head Coach. Just another example as to how the Rooney Rule process is an insult to everyone involved.

Are you really that clueless, or just trying to make some stupid point?

Honestly it does highlight some more issues with the rule. Should you mandate a minority interview, you should also mandate atleast 2-3 total interviews.

All that said, I think that today's NFL values wins over race and the people that don't, won't be swayed by this rule.

The point was drawing a contrast between the Vikings and the Cowboys. Both teams clearly have their successor in place, but only one can make it public which direction they are going in due to a completely misguided rule. I think its a valid point to make and a good discussion to have.

The debate shouldn't be over whether or not the Rooney Rule made a difference, but whether it's still necessary. 6 head coaches were minorities this year, meaning teams are giving minorities a shot at running programs. It seems the culture of the NFL has changed a little bit since the rule was instated, which was the original intent of the rule, thus probably making the rule obsolete.

The point was drawing a contrast between the Vikings and the Cowboys. Both teams clearly have their successor in place, but only one can make it public which direction they are going in due to a completely misguided rule.

The Rooney rule was not misguided and has been very successful. If you don't understand what the Rooney rule is about, and why it was enacted, you are clueless. As BlueFire notes, it might be time for it to go away, as it has done exactly what it was intended to do.

I'm not sure it is obsolete quite yet, but I think I can see it ending in the near future.

The point was drawing a contrast between the Vikings and the Cowboys. Both teams clearly have their successor in place, but only one can make it public which direction they are going in due to a completely misguided rule. I think its a valid point to make and a good discussion to have.

The Cowboys are making a mockery of the Rooney Rule, and not the other way around. The purpose of the rule was to at least make sure that minority head coaches could get their names into the context of hiring, instead of owners simply abiding by the "old boys club".

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

The Cowboys are making a mockery of the Rooney Rule, and not the other way around. The purpose of the rule was to at least make sure that minority head coaches could get their names into the context of hiring, instead of owners simply abiding by the "old boys club".

It doesn't get any more "old boy" than in Dallas.

We'll know the Rooney Rule is no longer needed when the "old boy club" isn't also a "white boy club".

The Cowboys aren't doing anything the Vikings aren't. Both teams liked what they got from their interim coaches and decided to stick with them. Happens a lot in the real world. The only reason minny gets a pass is because Frasier is black.

The rule now makes the cowboys go through a bogus interview which is insulting and a waste of time to both them and their interviewee (from what i read, their WR coach is black so he'll get the token interview). As Bluefire said, wins matter, not skin color. There are plenty of black coaches in the NFL and plenty more have gotten interviews based on their credentials, not skin color. The rule is largely obsolete.

Want to know where a Rooney rule is needed? Take a look at college ball.

The Cowboys aren't doing anything the Vikings aren't. Both teams liked what they got from their interim coaches and decided to stick with them. Happens a lot in the real world. The only reason minny gets a pass is because Frasier is black.

The rule now makes the cowboys go through a bogus interview which is insulting and a waste of time to both them and their interviewee (from what i read, their WR coach is black so he'll get the token interview). As Bluefire said, wins matter, not skin color. There are plenty of black coaches in the NFL and plenty more have gotten interviews based on their credentials, not skin color. The rule is largely obsolete.

Want to know where a Rooney rule is needed? Take a look at college ball.

The Cowboys know about the rule. The reason that Sherman's interview is insulting is because THEY chose to make Garrett's impending hiring public. The rule isn't perfect, but it's a good rule and worth respecting the integrity of.

The rule now makes the cowboys go through a bogus interview which is insulting and a waste of time to both them and their interviewee

It really isn't a waste of time. I think the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

Even though the Cowboys have no intention of hiring a particular candidate as their HC, an honest interview helps both sides. It gives the minority candidate real interview experience, his name bandied about as a candidate (which helps lead to future interviews...one of which he may actually get). It also may open the eyes of the Cowboy FO to consider the candidate for this HC job, a coordinator position or a HC job in the future. If they are impressed it may also help the candidate get a job with another team, as team owners and GMs talk to one another.

Some Black candidates have refused interviews they saw as less than honest. They felt insulted. That's their right. But more have accepted them as they did NOT feel insulted, at least not enough to pass on a chance to get this experience.

The Cowboys know about the rule. The reason that Sherman's interview is insulting is because THEY chose to make Garrett's impending hiring public. The rule isn't perfect, but it's a good rule and worth respecting the integrity of.

You have yet to explain why what the Cowboys did was any different than what the Vikings did. There is exactly zero difference between the two clubs and the candidates they would like to hire.

The rule forces them to go through the stupid worthless song and dance, instead of just hiring the guy they want, like the Vikes did.

The Rooney rule was not misguided and has been very successful. If you don't understand what the Rooney rule is about, and why it was enacted, you are clueless. As BlueFire notes, it might be time for it to go away, as it has done exactly what it was intended to do.

I'm not sure it is obsolete quite yet, but I think I can see it ending in the near future.

Do you honestly believe that 6 minorities are head coaches due to this rule, or that this rule really played a hand in the fact these coaches were hired? Maybe I am being naive because I don't care about race/color/ethnicity, and would never make a judgment based on that. I believe that Owners and General Managers make the call on who pilots their on field product based on qualifications, and not any other factors. Do I think the league has always been this way? That answer is no. Do I think the rule might have made sense 30 years ago? Yes. I don't think the Rooney rule has any place in the league anymore because it is not necessary. The Vikings want Frazier, good, go get it done. The Cowboys want Garrett, go, get that done.

blacks dominate the nfl on the field and are now represented very well in the coaching ranks, including 19% of head coaches which is slightly above the general population figure

so yeah, is the rule even necessary anymore? maybe for a couple more seasons just to let the last remaining white good old boys prejudice dissipate a little more

with how blacks dominate percentages on the field i wouldnt be surprised if we end up with an anti-rooney rule in a decade or so. thank god we still gots hockey

Do you honestly believe that 6 minorities are head coaches due to this rule, or that this rule really played a hand in the fact these coaches were hired? Maybe I am being naive because I don't care about race/color/ethnicity, and would never make a judgment based on that. I believe that Owners and General Managers make the call on who pilots their on field product based on qualifications, and not any other factors. Do I think the league has always been this way? That answer is no. Do I think the rule might have made sense 30 years ago? Yes. I don't think the Rooney rule has any place in the league anymore because it is not necessary. The Vikings want Frazier, good, go get it done. The Cowboys want Garrett, go, get that done.

I don't believe that Mike Tomlin was on anybody's radar prior to his hiring at Pittsburgh (Frazier was the 'candidate of color' in Minny then too IIRC). Someone with some local ties to the Pittsburgh area can add more details than I.

Here's how you know when the Rooney rule is really obsolete:

The same washed-up Black guys keep getting HC jobs despite their miserable performance in their previous jobs, because they are good friends with the GM.

I dunno, Deano - I'm not saying affirmative action has run its course, but fair is fair - I think now they should also have to interview a Polish guy, a Frenchman, an Italian, a Spaniard, a German, a Muslim, an Asian, a Native American, and at least one Laplander...

post-2970-094317700 1294073642_thumb.jpg

I don't believe that Mike Tomlin was on anybody's radar prior to his hiring at Pittsburgh (Frazier was the 'candidate of color' in Minny then too IIRC). Someone with some local ties to the Pittsburgh area can add more details than I.

Yeah Tomlin was. He steadily rose through the ranks from being a DB coach on the Buccs to Vikes DC, and had also interviewed for the fins HC job (they hired Cam Cameron instead). Plus Tomlin had the Tony Dungy coaching pedigree, so franchises around the league were well aware of him.