Frazier to be named HC in Minny

5 Wide

How about Raheem Morris then?

He was already on staff, and the Bucs were high on him. He was promoted the second Kiffin left to DC, and the Bucs didn't even look at any external candidates when they fired Gruden. Rooney Rule wasn't even invoked, since the Bucs hired from within.

im not sure how you can make such a claim without providing any evidence, while summarily dismissing my earlier (fact-based) comment regarding the real and obvious increase in minority coaches since the rule's implementation. do you have information that supports your premise that the rooney rule was somehow inconsequential to these hirings?

Like Ramius said, Correlation != Causation.

I posted it a few posts up.

http://news-releases.uiowa.edu/2010/january/011210blackNFLcoach.html

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He was already on staff, and the Bucs were high on him. He was promoted the second Kiffin left to DC, and the Bucs didn't even look at any external candidates when they fired Gruden. Rooney Rule wasn't even invoked, since the Bucs hired from within.

Like Ramius said, Correlation != Causation.

I posted it a few posts up.

http://news-releases.uiowa.edu/2010/january/011210blackNFLcoach.html

sorry, missed it earlier. interesting article, and i don't necessarily disagree with the findings. i agree that getting minority coaches in entry level positions will certainly help their development and likely lead to them being targeted as head coaches.

still, this study seems to suggest that the rule should, if anything, be expanded to include lower level coaching positions (and no doubt, the college ranks).

also, it curiously fails to address the fact that, again, there's been a real statistical increase in the number of minority head coaches since the rule's implementation.

sorry, missed it earlier. interesting article, and i don't necessarily disagree with the findings. i agree that getting minority coaches in entry level positions will certainly help their development and likely lead to them being targeted as head coaches.

still, this study seems to suggest that the rule should, if anything, be expanded to include lower level coaching positions (and no doubt, the college ranks).

The way I read the study was that if you want to encourage minority hires, you don't focus on hiring practices (which is what expanding the Rooney Rule would do). Instead, you should encourage more minority football athletes graduating college to get started coaching right away, thus building up the overall minority coaching pool to pick from.

also, it curiously fails to address the fact that, again, there's been a real statistical increase in the number of minority head coaches since the rule's implementation.

Not directly, because it wasn't looking for a cause of the statistical increase. Rather, it tried to determine the factors behind why NFL teams choose to hire the candidates they do, whether that was race, qualifications, etc.

Going from the findings in the article, it could have been that the quality and supply of minority candidates has grown over the past decade, leading to the increase in minority hiring. There's no doubt that the Rooney Rule may have had an indirect impact on that (more attention on minority hires = more engaged minority coaches = minority coaches believe in their higher aspirations and try even harder to get there; or, alternatively, the media gave more attention to and hyped up candidates they may not have in the past), but its hard to provide any evidence that there is a direct causation between the Rooney Rule and minority hires. As a result, I think it's served it's purpose - the culture in the NFL is a bit different, and the NFL should focus on expanding the pool of quality minority coaches rather than dictating head coaching practices.

Edited by BlueFire

All they've got to do is interview a black guy. What's the big deal? There are no hiring quotas, etc. Dude - just an interview.

The Vikings are reportedly going to be removing the "interim" label from HC Leslie Frazier's title. The Cowboys are denying that Jason Garrett is going to have the "interim" label removed from his title, as they would have to interview a minority candidate to comply with the Rooney Rule before naming Garrett their new Head Coach. Just another example as to how the Rooney Rule process is an insult to everyone involved.